An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25, 2016)

Once Upon a Time S03E02: "Lost Girl"

Oh, Oncers. Monday through Saturday we’re so cool: we’re taking in relevant cultural events, developing necessary projects, dressing like supermodels but shorter. Then Sunday rolls around and we, or at least I, am screaming at my TV like Abbey from Dance Moms yells at a five-year-old, and all I care about in the world is a troop of saucy fairy-tale characters cutting their way through an imaginary jungle. At 8pm on Sundays I become 12 years old again, with all the powerful subliminal Disney messages embedded in my brain getting fully activated.

“Lost Girl” transported me back to a semblance of my pre-critical era, an openness to adventure and fantasy not felt since the time when Kevin Zorbo WAS Hercules and a few hay bales on a soundstage in New Zealand WAS a land that cried out for a hero. Its success is due in part to the fact that it didn’t really f-ck with macguffins (my tolerance for f-cktitude with macguffins is nil) or heavy-handed exposition. “Lost Girl” investigated Emma's emotional foundation, and thanks to Jennifer Morrison, it was grounded and compelling and worked. It’s not easy to inject realistic, relatable emotion into a scene that is just you talking to a magical map. Watch some Shelley Duval’s Faerie Tale Theatre; when fantasy goes wrong, it goes wrong. But JMo committed and infused real emotional weight into a situation that could easily have been ludicrous in another actor’s hands.

After watching Gold create himself a personal assistant by cutting his shadow off the soles of his buckled Pilgrim shoes...

...we caught up with a line of all our favorite people slashing through jungle brush while holding lanterns. There was a heavy tang of Indiana Jones with top notes of Romancing the Stone. Our little band was a lot of fun to live with from scene to scene, and their banter was a great thread throughout the episode. Regina pointed out that she could have “poofed” everybody up the hill instead of hiking, and whatever Hook said I missed because I was too busy cackling at his blush. Look, I love a man in makeup. Whether it’s a little rock n’ roll guy-liner or full-on gorgeous drag queen coverage, I’m all about it. But there is an amount of blush that is embarrassing on man or woman and Hook looked like somebody’s senile auntie this week.

David went in the opposite direction that Hook told him to go in, and then got angry at Hook when everybody ended up on a cliff, looking out at a night-filtered screengrab from Avatar.

Hook suggested they all take a power nap and Regina and Emma were all, “Whut?! Our son has been kidnapped. Time is of the essence!” (in so many words) but Mary Margaret came through with another kernel of what passes for wisdom amongst the Charmings: “If there’s one thing your father and I have learned it is never too late.” A cozy thought, but since you’re about 28 years too late to help your grizzled-ass daughter, maybe rethink the laissez-faire and pick up the Pace Picante. Half of everything Mary Margaret says sounds like a Babelfish translation of a Turkish Hallmark card, but whatever, in this case it was enough to talk Emma into her burlap sleeping bag.

Speaking of which, where did all the camping supplies come from? Did Regina magic them all up some blankets? No... she would have conjured purple sateen duvets. Hook must have made them all little camping kits on the Jolly Roger. He’s like a boy scout leader who’s really into vinyl leather Renaissance cosplay.

During the night, Emma was awakened by the moaning screams of a thousand ghosts, and ran into Peter Pan himself, who had been creepin’ on her while she was sleeping (as is his wont). Pan offered her a map to Henry that would only reveal itself when she accepted who she REALLY was. I have to admit that at first I was shocked and offended that Pan would try to drag her out of the closet like that. Let her come out to her parents in her own time and way, Pan, damn.

Things only got more awkward as Emma sat down, describing herself to the map as her parents sat across from her, grinning and bearing it as she spooled out her shady past. “I’m... the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. I was a bounty hunter in Boston. Prisoner 76657 at Boston Penitentiary. Went by street name Fool’s Gold when I was stealing cars in Chico. Assumed alias Bizzy Fingahz when I was heavy into shoplifting...”

Regina—after a long sigh and some spectacular side-eye—cut short the therapy session, grabbing the map out of Emma’s hands and GETTING SOME RESULTS (while saving Emma from further embarrassment). She made the map glow and rise up and fly away into the dark forest, where it moved like a homing beacon straight toward Pan, through the apparently never-ending Neverland night (obvs VFX/jungle sets look better in “night time” filter).

MEANWHILE. FTL flashback sequence. I haven’t even been keeping apace with this in the chronology of the show. Let’s just say, Snow was the Che Guevara of her day and she tried to rabble-rouse a handful of medieval teen girls to go fight an omnipotent queen with the hottest outfits in the land. 

Seriously, the costume department was earning their paychecks this week with not one but two couture gowns for Her Majesty. They didn’t look easy to fabricate. And big ups to Lana Parrilla for squeezing into those fabric sculptures!

Anyway, Regina told Snow she’d let her escape with her life to Charming’s farm if she’d give up her claim to the throne. Snow was actually totally down to retire to the countryside with her hubby and seven petite men, but Charming felt like she could totally steamroll her stepmom on the battlefield, so he set up an intricate mind game, like a loving boyfriend does.

Josh Dallas makes a lot of rather insane material sound sincere and spontaneous, and I want to make the distinction between actor and character before I say Prince Charming’s Excalibur Mind F-ck was tantamount to manslaughter. Planting a sword in a stone, telling your betrothed it makes her invincible, and then urging her to take a big swing at an omnipotent witch? Yikes. And Snow was super touched by his tapestry of lies: If every pot has a lid, apparently so does every coffin. 

I’m not even going to talk about a possible backdoor pilot for OUAT: Camelot because that’ll probably only happen after the numbers for OUAT: Wonderland premiere come in (This Thursday, October 10!). Round of applause for Ginnifer Goodwin for doing a bellyflop into gravel the first time she took a swing at Regina (sincerely hope that was a stunt person).

The second time, with her magic feather/faux-Excalibur, she drew blood from Regina’s cheek. The battle was on! Countless peasants would be marching into certain death under false pretexts thanks to Charming’s ham-fisted attempt at boosting Snow’s ego! WTF are they going to do with no powerful magic at their disposal to fight Regina? Obviously they won eventually, I guess the “how” is still a blank index card in a writer’s room somewhere (don’t even say the words Blue Fairy, because please).

Also Belle turned up in full fairy-tale garb, and updo, and bold red Wet’n’Wild lipstick and snatched Rumple’s poppet.

The man lost his shadow, his dagger, and now you try and take his cornhusk doll, minx? If Rumple magically butt-dialed up a vision of Belle, then how/why did she grab his toy and run off? And then he almost choked her out and she was like, smiling about it? What?!

I did not understand any of this, I do not understand why it's cool how much Rumple has hit/choked/abused Belle, but she's like "No he's quite alright, though." But I’m still sore they benched Belle at the end of Season 2 and I welcome any workaround to get her back into the action.

Rumple’s conflict in Neverland, as he described it to Belle, was horrifying: “Girl, should I consign two generations of direct descendants to the grave, or like, try to save Henry?” Belle prattled on about how she still sees the good in him despite every choice he has ever made (Belle would email and date inmates online IRL, we’ve established this, she has a thing for abusive psychopaths), but personally my ovaries would shrivel into raisins at the thought of trusting such a man with my future children.

Also we found out Rumple’s dad had abandoned him, which, OBVIOUSLY. Hello, this is OUAT, as in Once Upon a Time My Parents Dropped Me Like Skrillex Drops Bass. After pursuing Regina’s magicked map into the Dark Woods to find Pan (“He’s there in the dark, I can feel his smugness”) Mary Margs, David, Hook, and Regina stumbled upon the chilling sight of Pan dressed up in Henry’s clothes and signature scarf. You could read it on all their faces: Wait, so what is Henry wearing now?! Banana leaves? Is he tied to a tree in just his undershorts sporting the cherry belly to end all cherry bellies?

They didn’t get long to contemplate; pretty soon it was time for a fist fight with the medieval answer to West Side Story’s Jets. I loved Regina crimping her fingers into magicking position as the catalog models closed in. This whole sequence was like some live-action Dungeons and Dragons battle. Despite how pushy these tweens were, Emma found herself unable to put a knife blade through the jugular of a panicked 14-year-old, letting him flee into the night instead. 

Snow hounded her about why she’d stopped fighting that 14-year-old when they were once again alone (because she had a knife up to his throat and didn’t feel like killing him? Chill out with the bloodlust, Snow).

This triggered the emotional culmination of the episode—and a rather successful story point for the entire series. Emma described the sense of despair in the kid’s eyes and described herself as an orphan, which activated the map. This was devastating for Mary Margaret, but a sort of necessary breakthrough for both Emma and her parents. Of course, as Pan would point out to her, accepting her own sense of loss and resentment means understanding that Henry has every right to feel the same way about her, because she did the exact same thing to him, which is quite tragic.

Pan threatened Emma that Henry would ultimately choose to be a Lost Boy and come to hate her (which let’s face it, would have happened the second he hit puberty anyway), AND said that she’s going to lose her parents before she finds him. That last bit was especially prescient, as David is now sporting a rather nasty-looking, poisoned wound. Despite the fantastical setting and magical elements, this overall message was pretty relevant: You need to let go of your own resentment and victimhood and take responsibility for your part in an abusive cycle if you want it to end. True for Emma and Henry and her parents, true for Rumple and his dad, and so on. Hell, if you swap out drugs for magic, Rumple’s whole arc would parallel a lot of real-life relationships: He got really into magic, his wife left, his kid ran away, and now he keeps doing magic to avoid dealing with the consequences of the choices he made.

Would any of these real-world parallels have occurred to me if it hadn’t been for the way JMo handled her orphan speech? Probably not. Girl killed it. It was the grittiest, most heart-wrenching speech ever delivered by someone seated on a hollow log. "Lost Girl" was a good reminder of what this show at its best can be: fantasy with real-world resonance, imaginative adventure with actual substance. I hope we get more like it.

QUESTIONS:

... Did you hear them throwing around the name Rufio?

... Is rum your solution to everything?

... Real talk: Cheaters often win, yeah?

... What’s up with Snow and Charming calling each other David and Mary Margaret? Mary Margaret is quite a mouthful.

... How did you think Emma was going to end up describing herself?

... Will you be watching the premiere of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland this week?

285 Comments
Comments (285)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
My name is Barry Allen, and I'm the fastest man alive. When I was a child, I saw my mother killed by something impossible. My father went to prison for her murder. Then an accident made me the impossible. To the outside world, I'm just an ordinary forensic scientist, but secretly I use my speed to fight crime and find others like me, and one day I'll find who killed my mother and get justice for my father. I am the Flash.
Flag
My name is Ethan Mia. I want to give thanks to DR. Adodo, for bringing back my husband,No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that DR Adodo is a very dedicated, gifted, and a medicine man, It was one of the best things I have ever done. My love life was in shambles; I had been through two divorces and was on the brink of third one. I just couldn't face another divorce, and I wanted to try harder to make our relationship work, but my husband didn’t seem to care. and he broke up with me again, I was confuse and do not know what to do again, rather than to get in contact with DR Adodo. He did a love spell that make my husband come back to me. we are now very much happy with our self. DR. Adodo make him to realize how much we love and need each other.This man is for REAL and for good.he can also help you to fix your broken relationship. I had my husband back! It was like a miracle! He suddenly wanted to go to marriage counseling, and we’re doing very very well in our love life.contact DR.Adodo today so that he will help you restore you lost Joy and Lover back to you with his email address: Adodospelltemple@gmail.com or through phone number:+2348156784928! you can also visit his website http://adodospelltemple.wix.com/adodospelltemple

More+
Flag
Wow...This is actually hard for me to believe now,My name is Michelle Harris I want to use this golden opportunity to appreciate the great spell caster Dr.Ofemo for helping me get back my relationship with my boyfriend when he ended and turned his back on me for quite a long period of time.I have great joy in me as i am writing this testimony about the great man called Dr.Ofemo When my lover left me i never taught that i will be able to get him back after all he has put me through, But i am so happy that after the interference of Dr.Ofemo i was able to get my lover back after 24hours and i can proudly to say, that who ever need help in getting there lover back should contact:drofemospelltemple@gmail.com You can also contact him through his mobile:+2348163387496 I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news… Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there needs it.ONCE AGAIN HIS EMAIL ADDRESS AT:drofemospelltemple@yahoo.com
Flag

HIV is a terrible disease, if not for my Husband and the help of the great Dr Edeki my life would have been a mess! I was diagnosed with HIV in 2006, my husband encouraged me, and told me not to lose hope, I manage to give birth to a baby Boy who was free from the disease, and my Husband was always there for me! One day he came to me and told me that he have found a man who can cure me. Base on scientist, they said there is no cure for HIV; he told me that he has seen many testimonies about him on the internet. We decided to contact him, we filled his Herbal home form, and he asked us to buy some items which we did! Three days later he asked me to go for HIV test, faithfully I went to do the Test, Lo and Behold, I was cured, the virus was not found in my Body... My Dear Husband and my Father Dr Edeki, God will surely bless the both of you, till the end of time, in Jesus name.. If you have any problem kindly contact he on edekiherbalspellhome@hotmail.com or website : http://edekiherbalspellhome.bravesites.com call him on +2348135200383......Rose
More+
Flag
Hello,i am From USA. I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called DR VOKE from Africa has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex wife to me with his great spell, I was married to this woman called Lisa we were together for a long time and we loved our self’s but when she was unable to give me a child for 2 years she left me and told me she can’t continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get her back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email to me (DOCTORVOKE@GMAIL.COM)
then you won’t believe this, when I contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast. and bring my lost wife back, and after a month she miss her monthly period and she went for a test and the result stated she was pregnant. am happy today am a father of a baby boy, thank you once again the great DR VOKE for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through any of this problems listed below: you can contact him via Email; (DOCTORVOKE@GMAIL.COM)
(1) If you want your divorced husband/wife back.
(2)If you want your ex boyfriend/girlfriend back
(3) If you always have bad dreams.
(4) You want to be promoted in your office.
(5) You want women/men to run after you.
(6) If you want a child.
(7) You want to be rich.
(8) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(9) Or you have been scammed and you want to recover your lost money
(10) If you are in love with someone and you want him/her to fall in love with you totally.
(12) If you want a Tame my Lover Spell
(13) If you want a Make Me Sexy Spell
(14) If you want a STOP His Roving Eyes Spell
(15) If you want a Rejuvenated Love Spell
(16) If you want a Be Faithful To Me Spell
(17) If you want to prevent or keep others from talking about my man
(18) Remove bad spells from homes, business & customer attraction etc.
(19) Stop your marriage or relationship from breaking apart.
(20) Read all your problems before you even mention them to him
(21) Remove the black spot that keeps on taking your money away
(22)Find out why you are not progressing in life and the solution
(23) Eliminate in family fights
(24) Ensure excellent school grades even for children with mental disabilities
(25) Get promotion you have desired for a long time at work or in your career.
(26) I destroy and can send back the Nicolas if requested
(27) We heal barrenness in women and disturbing menstruation
(28) Get you marriage to the lover of your choice
(29) Guarantee you win the troubling court cases
(30)Get the spell to win a lottery.
Write DR VOKE on (DOCTORVOKE@GMAIL.COM) i can not stop testifying of his good work and i believe that a trial will convince you also
More+
Flag
My name is Steph Morgan am from USA i am very happy for the wonderful work dr guru has done for me i got married to my lovely husband last year February and we have a lovely son. things was going well with us and we are living happily. until one day my husband started behaving in a strange manner i could not understand, i was very confused with the way he treat me and my son. later that month he did not come home again and he called me that he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not want to see me again in his life, i was sad and also frustrated i did not know what to do,i was sick for more than a week because of the divorce. i love him so much he his everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i told one of my child hood friend and she told me to contact a spell caster that she has listen to one woman who testify about dr guru and she has been hearing about him that i should try him i never believe in all this spell casting of a thing but i just say i should try if something will come out of it. i contacted Dr guru for the return of my husband to me, he told me that my husband have been taken by another woman. that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want to divorce me. then he told me that has to cast a spell on him that will make him return to me and my son, he casted the spell and after 1 day my husband came back home and started apologizing he said that he love me so much that he did not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that Dr guru casted on him that make him come back to me,right now am so happy again. thank you Dr guru for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today if not for your great spell. this is to every one who is facing divorces or heart break by your lover i want you to contact him now because he can do it for you his powers is great and dont have any side effect in the future contact him through his mail;drgurulovespelltemple@yahoo.com.contact him now and your problems will be solve for ever.once again thanks to dr guru.
More+
Flag
I was happy with this episode Emma and hook are growing closer which is what I was hoping for since his first episode with her and yes rum is a great solution for everything when your a one handed pirate and you look that good. I feel sorry for charming he can't catch a break. I am still abit puzzled as to why they continue to call each other David and Mary Margaret why not go back to their original names snow and charming, I've noticed that it's the same with the other characters to, they still call rumple gold and little red ruby. Apart from this I've always enjoyed this show and it's characters and always will.
Flag
Woohoo! New Zealand shout out! Don't forget Xena: Warrior Princess, that was filmed in the same place, 5 minutes down the road from me. Lol "soundstage", it's ok, this is NZ, no need for the euphemisms, just call it a barn.
Flag
Not before Hook did

... Is rum your solution to everything?
Pretty much LOL

... Real talk: Cheaters often win, yeah?
Totally!

... What’s up with Snow and Charming calling each other David and Mary Margaret? Mary Margaret is quite a mouthful.
You're right, I hadn't notice! And Mary M was so annoying, she had at least 4 or 5 scene of "You can do it" speech

... How did you think Emma was going to end up describing herself?
I really thought it was about her being the Saviour, since IMO she still hasn't really accepted that, nor taken any control on her powers. She just isn't trying!

... Will you be watching the premiere of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland this week?
Absolutely NOT

Just wanted to add, Pan is awesome and I love the kid playing him. Also, his interactions with Emma are so ambigous, what with his "I like fire" comments... you really sense there's something much more older and evil under that kid's skin!
More+
Flag
Pan is a great villain and yes the kid playing him is great, I've always said that for some reason children made very convincing baddies. I wasn't sure about wonderland but I watched it and was surprised it's was pretty good you should give it a go
Flag
Quality of costumes has gone way way up, Regina's sexy plunging gown when she was talking with the mirror was great, and her head gear with the ponytail has improved also! Wonder if the fairies will get better costumes, the quality they've been working with is the same that is hanging in my 3 yr old's closet!

It bothered me so much when Charming was almost hit by the arrow that she screamed David! She didn't even know him for long in Storybrook as David, he was nameless in a coma!!!!!
Flag
He should just call her by her real name - Snow.

I am not seeing how Peter Pan is so evil and bad that he scares "everyone." The shadow-ripping thing was not bad, but it needs more.

I hope they won't kill off Snow or Charming, that's just sad.
Flag
Reading these types of reviews only makes me miss Price Peterson even more and realize nobody else here can compare to him when it comes to witty and whimsical "insert your own caption" photo reviews.
Flag
Staff
Price is seriously the best, he taught me everything I know (including photoshop, back in our college days) but if you're missing his stuff...why? He just covered AHS: Coven. Go read his review!
Flag
I did! It was amazing! I'm sorry if my comment seemed harsh or condescending, its hard to put Price on such a high pedestal without leaving everyone else behind. To be fair, and photo recap with inserted dialogue tends to be lots of fun (TAKE NOTES, TIM!)
Flag
Lily rocks her photo recaps! Don't be a hater.
Flag
Staff
& you are the best.
Flag
Being able to continue enjoying Lily's reviews it's been the principal reason why I'm watching season 3, since I was a bit disappointed with the last one. Good work!
Flag
-Regina is the best, and her outfits this weekend. OMG I love her and her sass so much. I feel like she's kind of the voice of the audience half the time.
-I didn't care for that flash back, it made me dislike Charming. I never cared for him before but did like him and Snow together. This kinda tainted it. I even agreed with dwarves for a second. The fact that he'd put everyone in a sort of danger by giving Snow a lame sword. He doesn't know Regina as well as Snow, how could he know her reaction wouldn't turn out to just be full on anger. It was a stupid move.
-Also he got hit with an arrow, while traveling with an expert of Neverland and a very strong magic user but didn't care to mention to either of them. I know he wouldn't want Snow or Emma to think he's weak, but c'mon man.
-And the parenting of Emma is annoying, just glad that Emma seems a little annoyed by it too.
-I love Peter Pan, and love how their doing he's character. I like how he comes off as more of a complex villain. I think that's prob one of my favorite thing about Once is how they make the villains complex then the original story.
-I don't know what is up with Rumple. I thought he kinda had his mind more made up when he made the decision to get on the boat. I know I just said I like complexity in our bad guys, but I was expecting him to struggle more when he got closer to finding Henry not wandering in the forest talking to characters from his imagination.
-I really enjoy Hook and his makeup lol. It's kinda funny when Emma mentions just how bad he could have looked with a perm.
More+
Flag
Regina totally gets the audience!
Emma's parenting is painful to watch, even though the map activation scene was touching.
Pan's character's really intriguing!
Agree with you about Rumple and Charming.
Just love Emma and Hook!
Flag
I just really want to know what a macguffin is and why Lily keeps talking about messing with them... Unless it's a character I missed...?
Flag
A macguffin is like a plot device. Something that the characters take interest in and it's not really explained why its so important . It's just, like, there.
Flag
Ok, so how does one, as Lily puts it "f-k with a macguffin"?
Flag
I believe she's expressing her lack of patience with TV shows (and movies, and every other storytelling medium) using "the quest for the Magical Whatzit" as the primary method for moving all stories forward.

A few episodes, OK. But when a very long section of story is dominated almost entirely by "we have to obtain this thing for whatever reason", it smacks of lazy writing. And OUAT has been reliable in the "Magical Whatzit" category -- in Fairytale Land, there's always a special thing someone can get to stop someone else.

You can blame it on the fact that magic is barely explained and more whimsical, chalk it up to the nature of actual fairy tales, or whatever. But they're pretty guilty about overusing that particular storytelling mechanic, and the sense of place that comes with good world building suffers for it.
Flag
Staff
couldn't have said it better myself. Thx!
Flag
  • I'm not much of a drinker, but maybe Hook is on to something and rum is the solution to everything!
  • Ummm, I think the MM and David thing is weird. It's like they are still undecided as to who they are supposed to be. 9 out of ten Charming is still David, and Snow is some weird combination of Mary Margaret and Snow combined. It is so weird and it sort of has me longing for the days when she was just Mary Margaret. The whole them trying to parent their daughter who happens to be the same age as them thing is starting to get a bit annoying. I feel like, they need to let her go. She's an adult now and they can't make up for her past. There is no babying or coddling her eanymore. She will never be on board with calling them Mom and Dad (I mean, can you blame her? So weird!) It just feels so odd watching them attempt to treat her like a child when they initially were her friends. It gets stranger by the second, plus it takes some of the badass out of Snow. I loved Snow, she was feierce and strong, and now, now she's been sort of reduced to nagging mother, and what used to be this great love story between she and Charming that I rather enjoyed, is now some nauseating thing. It makes both of them uninteresting as characters when they are no longer angsting over one another and they're talking about Emma as if she were a toddler.
  • Rumbelle is an unhealthy relationship. It is as simple as that. It doesn't necessairly mean that it isn't interesting to watch, and I don't think less of someone because they ship it, I mean it's fiction, as long as you know that it is an unhealthy relationship than do whatever you wish. I mean Beauty and the Beast was a pretty twisted idea of a love story because it was nothing more than a glorified version of Stockholm Syndrome with a pretty little "Beauty is only skin deep" bow wrapped around it. You can say that about most fairytales though. Mixed and contradictory messages that are nevertheless a reflection of life. Robert and Emily have a great chemistry though, which makes it something interesting to watch. But yes, Rumple does get handsy, and he's harsh and bordering on emotionally and verbally abusive, and the only thing that makes it somewhat tolerable is the fact that Belle seems to be able to handle him. She has some bit of control and hold over him, which keeps her from being seen as a straight up victim. Fair enough. It's an unhealthy relationship, and they walk that fine line between it being unhealthy and it being inappropriate, her sense of morals as a character keeps her from falling into that category of the the serial killer's wife who ignores all of the sounds of him being a serial killer as long as he brings her trinkets and trophies that may or may not belong to the women he tortured and killed in his basement. She isn't aloof. She's just that woman that truly believes that she can change a man.
  • Pan is just the right amount creepy as hell and menacing I still need to see more from him though. I look forward to seeing more.
  • That flashback didn't work for me. I was still pissed over Charming pulling the wool over Snow's eyes, but I'm inclined to hold a grudge or two.
  • Emma coming to grips with herself being an orphan. Jennifer did a great job with it, but on the other hand I was kinda like "duh!".
  • Damn if I don't kinda like the moments between Emma and Hook. I've been trying really hard to still dislike Hook and I can't do it. It's harder to fight. I blame Colin and his puppy dog eyes and guyliner. He's growing as a character and thus growing on me. He seems more sincere than he ever appeared last season and I rather enjoy that.
  • I just want to hug all of them and send them to therapy, or maybe Maury the OUAT edition. I mean one could write a dissertation on the messed up cycle of pain and damage in this dysfunctional fairytale family. Everyone is interconnected and everyone is screwed up. I'm really going to need a flowchart to keep up with all of them.

More+
Flag
I totally prefer Mary Margaret to Snow!
Flag
I have to agree with the others, I have never seen Rumple abusing Belle, quite the opposite, he's always been careful not to hurt her. He just immediately knew that vision wasn't her, which only goes to show just how much he loves the REAL her. <3 I want Belle to be in on the action too! Killed me to learn she was just a vision and not in Neverland with the others. And yes, the message was powerful and beautiful, and JMo killed it. Totally agree with the name calling! Why won't they refer to ach other by their real names? And I heard Rufio too, I think he's the boy that appeared to Rumple last episode, and fought Hook on this one. Yes to Wonderland! Can't wait! I'm kinda mad that they'd do such a publicity stunt like it, creating a spin off to win more money, but what can you do? I'll end up watching it anyway.
Flag
I miss Belle too :(
Flag
THANK YOU for bringing attention to the David/Mary Margaret thing. That bugs the crap out of me. Those were personas made to be the opposite of who they are, so I can't understand for the life of me why they still go by them.
Flag
How VEEERRYYY dare you criticise the epitome of magnificent fairy tale story telling that was Shelley Duval’s Faerie Tale Theatre!!!!???? You do offend me madam!
Flag
"How verrrry dare you!" Ha! Now I'm in the mood to watch some Catherine Tate.
Flag
Staff
It's close to my heart as well but there are episodes (aka the one linked, Nightingale) that time has NOT been kind to.
Flag
Why does he call her Mary Margaret? Its wierd.
Flag
i was hoping to see a tumblr of charming fighting the lost boys! he kept on spinning his sword like a ninja, even when they were gone! I laughed so hard!! he's ridiculous. The rest of the episode was good!
Flag
I find Pan cute.
Flag
Rumple cut of his shadow, is that smart? Doesn't he needed when he returns to Storybrooke. He seemed so weak and lost this week. Without make up, he is not so scary...
I really had to laugh, when snow was giving her speech to her subjects and when she asked: Who is with me? nobody reacted....
Loved the evil Queens outfits...bot of them..the red and black one...so evil...love it
I knew that Emma would regret trusting Pan...what he said in the end to her...that she will be a real orphan, before this is all over...sounds not good...
Love Regina and her snappy comments once in a while...
The moment after the fight with the lost boys and the queen arriving, was awesomely done...
For the first time Snow said something smart: If this is a game, you can win!
Where is Henry....i wonder??
Flag
Rumple has grabbed Belle but he's never physically harmed her - in fact he's been very gentle. When he grabbed the vision of Belle in Neverland, it was because he was sure someone was playing a trick on him and possibly impersonating her - because of course she couldn't be there. It's Neverland and he has to be on his guard. Once she told him that HE had conjured her there, he instantly jumped back. I also find it kinda funny that you think their relationship is abusive but think that Emma and Regina are meant for each other after all the physical abuse, plotting and bloodlust steeped in their familial history...

Anyway, I knew that the title "Lost Girl" was a reference to Emma before watching it. When Emma heard those cries while everyone slept, I didn't think it was ghosts - I think it was just all of the lost ones crying on the island at night, and she could hear them because she's a lost one too. It was nice to see Emma have an emotional breakthrough.

I'd rather hear Snow and Charming call each other just that, with a little David thrown in there.

I was happy to see the Magic Mirror back! I think the actor was busy last season with another show, but perhaps this means we'll see more of him now.
More+
Flag
"Lemme check with Disney Test Marketing and I'll get back to you" OMG I LAUGHED TIL I CRIED, boy Lilly you have some great one liners girl lol, Im excited for this season so far feeling like they got some of the magic back of the show, lets hope the writers can keep it going!
Flag
I cannot stand when Snow/Charming call each other their Storybrooke names, it seriously drives me nuts and ruins whatever scene I am watching. I can't help but fixate on it!
Flag
SAME
Flag
Yup.
Wish Hook would've said "Why is the rum gone?"
When our hero's cheat it's the only way and not morally ambiguous for some reason.
Yeah, he called her Snow immediately when they got their memories back in Storeybrooke. Sooo... wtf? Probs some kind of symbolism of separation as Emma called her that too, and this ep was all about her disconnect from her parents.
I thought it would be the reluctant admittance of being the Savior or daughter of the queen, but it was a good reveal as a lost girl/orphan. Excellent scene.
Dunno, depends if it's on Hulu. Also, where was Baelfire and Co. this week?
Flag
i like this peter pan kid, i find him strangely alluring, i guess its because hes pure evil, i hope he stays that way
Flag
Yeah, the most important part of this entire episode was Hook talking smack to Pan's number one guy. Any time you can talk smack about jacking up Rufio you automatically get some serious extra cool points. Really starting to get on team Hook, eyeliner and all. OUAT please give us a flashback of Hook killing Rufio! I will heart you forever.
Flag
So Snow White is Dumbo now? The present story I liked, but the flashback really felt like it was cooked up last minute for the sake of having something from the past being relevant to now. I mean, Snow seemed pretty confident the first three or four times we've watched her wake up in that coffin, and she had enough supporters to storm a castle before (really missing Ruby).
I don't know, but with David wounded, my big hope for next week is for something that makes Charming a little more, well, charming.
Or maybe if Snow's still somewhat pissed about the Excalibur thing he'll be getting a sugar pill antidote so that by 'feeling' better he can overcome the deadly toxin poising his body: 'It's the power of positive thinking, Honey!'
Flag
Just started watching this show. I caught up with all the seasons before this one started. I really like it. My most favorite is Rumpelstiltskin I love his movements and him calling everyone deary. That is a good actor. Why do they still call each other by names other than who they are. I hate the Mary Margaret name. I love everyone on this show even Regina. But I hate cry baby Charming. I wish he would get killed off. Oh and Peter Pan being mean is a good twist. And no not watching Wonderland. One story book show for this old lady is enough...
Flag
Hook is the absolute best. That is all.
Flag
Agreed
Flag
Yes! I loved the reference!

... Is rum your solution to everything?
Sometimes

... Real talk: Cheaters often win, yeah?
Sometimes

... What’s up with Snow and Charming calling each other David and Mary Margaret? Mary Margaret is quite a mouthful.
I hate this name, Mary Margaret. Now I wonder: who gave everybody new names in Storybrook, was it Regina? If it was her, then that explains a lot.

... How did you think Emma was going to end up describing herself?
I thought she would call Snow "mommie" and then the map would reveal itself.

... Will you be watching the premiere of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland this week?
Sorry, no. Didn't really like the Wonderland storyline. In fact, I don't even know why they made a spin-off.
Flag
I think they named themselves after the curse. 'Mary Margret' was an alias Snow came up with for a brief second in 1st season's Red-Handed but immediately discarded cause she hated it. Seemed to me Regina's spell made Snow the worst version of herself, so her subconscious conjured up the name she liked least.
Just a theory.
Flag
I don't remember this episode, but it makes sense.
Flag
Oh, how I missed this reviews!
And what happened to Snow's hair in the flashback scenes? I guess when you're plotting against your stepmother, you really don't have the time to brush your hair.
Flag
Staff

I made this for the review and then forgot to post it but YES. THAT HAIR!!!!
Flag
If Regina and Rumplestiltskin being afraid of Pan isn't enough to make him a credible villain- what exactly is Pan intending to do with "the heart of the truest believer"? It sounds eerily like the first season, when Regina needed to kill the thing she loved the most...
Flag
Ohh Lily, I LIVE for your photo recaps.
"Snow was the Che Guevara of her day" That line alone makes me love you.
Seriously genious, the whole thing.
And also true, that last JMo scene was heartbreaking. OUAT can do justice to reality sometimes.
Flag
Staff
Thank you! I am completely inspired by the quality of comments left by readers like yourself. This fan community is a special thing.
Flag
"...how it's cool how much Rumple has hit/choked/abused Belle..." When? Please name when he has ever done this to her other than this episode where it's clearly not even her. Because I can't think of a single moment he legitimately hurt her. Emotionally he's a conflicted clusterf-ck and her patience with him is absolutely confounding. But no, he never abused her in my memory. If he did you'll need to give examples, otherwise you're just talking out of your ass with that shit.
Flag
Staff
Hey hey hey, watch the language now! We all try to talk nice here.
I call your attention to "Skin Deep" where after they kissed Rumple started throwing things around the room, shook her like a maraca and threw her in a dungeon cell.
Then when she was asking for mercy for Robin Hood, he magicked her halfway into the ground, she was stuck up to her waist in earth and pretty freaked out about it.
He yanked her around pretty bad going up the hill when she had just recovered her memory on his way to dump magic in the well.
When she was in the hospital with no memory he was all yelling in her face and pushing a cup at her...not appropriate.
For me these would all be deal breakers.

Flag
I will half give you Skin Deep. He was angry and he grabbed her and shouted at her and tossed her in the dungeon. That was pretty rough, though he protected her from his most serious rage by putting her someplace safe before he destroyed everything. But the putting her the ground thing didn't seem to freak her out. She was annoyed at him and simply kept yelling/talking to him. And the rest is really just stretching. He never yanked her around on their way to the well. In fact, they're not even touching until they arrive at it and he puts his hand on her back as he's talking to her. She's following behind him the whole way there. And in the hospital he was trying to get her to look at the cup, but he wasn't yelling. SHE was yelling and freaking out. I didn't find him inappropriate at all. I found him desperate and sad. The only mistake he made there was being so desperate that he tried something like that so early. Had he waited, like when she was calmer and more willing to deal with him (e.g. the time he came to her in the hospital after the phone call), it might have worked.

And this part? He's barely even touching her. He has his hand cupped beneath her chin and is forcing her to look at him, probably so he can see into her eyes, try to figure out what sort of vision she is. He doesn't believe she's even real and has been conjured up by Pan. When she says HE did it, he backs off immediately. But even believing she's not Belle, he is pretty gentle with her.
More +
Flag
Rumple was only manhandling "Belle" (she was actually just a vision, so no harm done) because he thought she was just one of Pan's tricks.
Flag
Really. Really? There were two or three jokes about Emma's sexuality being different than what has been displayed, but you DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THE CAPTAIN SWAN IN THIS EPISODE? IT WAS PALPABLE.
HE WANTED TO KNOW HER.
He offered her rum, like he did when she got her hand cut on the way up the beanstalk and like on the ship when she was facing turmoil. "Is rum your solution to everything?" was her question because he always tried to fix her 'wounds' with rum.
And their encounters weren't even brushed on?
Flag
Staff
Thank you for logging the Captain Swan moments here. I'll try to keep an eye out for those moments next week.
Flag
What if Hook, Emma and Regina was the love triangle they were hinting at? I could actually see Hook rocking some of Regina's wardrobe, so that could be lots of fun!
Flag
While the Hook-wearing-Regina's-stuff made me laugh for about five minutes, I just... I have trouble seeing Swan Queen ever happening. I just think they're too different! In the way they were raised, their lives, their choices... But Hook and Emma are more like two sides of the same coin. They're like an explosion of leather and parental abandonment issues. I love it.
Flag
Think about the 80's power suits- the dress over pants thing that Regina has going on so often- and the shared makeup. Maybe Hook and Regina will bond over her incredible fashion sense and BOTH dump Emma to live happily ever after...
Flag
Did you just (successfully) reference West Side Story AND Skrillex as well as make a dig at how useless/ lazy the blue fairy is? Lol! LOVE your reviews Lily, although you were a bit unfair to Rumple - his wife left him first - THEN he got in to magic/drugs and abandoned his son.

I must admit that I am starting to see Charming in a new light. Totally agree with the dwarves original assessment of him (and this isn't easy to say as I quite fancy Josh). why didn't he just settle for an easy life with Snow and the dwarves?

I found Hook's attempts to 'get on the good side of the in-laws' rather 'Charming.' Is it wrong that I'm now rooting for him over Baelfire (again not easy to say as I also kinda fancy Michael Raymond James too - I know, I'm greedy!)

Loving the Nasty Pan. Of all the reinterpretations he is one of my favs as he is the LAST fairytale character that I would ever think could be evil. :-)

whilst I don't want David to die. I'm glad that he is finally getting a storyline....

One of the main themes of many fairytales is abondonment by parents. (Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Cinderella, etc) I'm glad the writers are playing on this.
More+
Flag
I don't know and Hook/Emma. After seeing Hook getting all fatherly with a young Baelfire it's kind of...weird. I know it's just a fan theory, but what if Hook was Neal's real father? He would then be Henry's grandfather/stepdad. Even if that theory's not true, he would still canonically have dated both Henry's mother and grandmother.
Why do I suddenly have the theme song from The Graduate in my head?
Flag
Medival Cher... LOL! Cracked me up.

Loved the recap, hated the episode.

1)ENOUGH WITH THE FLASHBACKS
Seriously, they are not only completely pointless and boring, they also add nothing new. Well, slight correction, they add tons of contradictions and inconsistencies to the show's already shaky grounds.

2)Please, stop doing fight seasons on this show... They look awful.
Seriously, let me understand, Pan and his crew shoot arrows at them and they react by letting Charming push some arrows with a sword? How does that protect an entire group of people?
At one segment, Charming sees a guy aiming an arrow on Snow, he then yells at her to turn around, so she does then aims and shoots at the guy who hasn't fired yet?!? That's just stupid.
I'm not even getting into how stupid it is that Hook seems to fight so darn good with one hand or that Ema who has no training what so ever.

The worst of all is Regina who does some magic tricks when she should be obliterating all of them single handedly. Seriously, didn't she just turn a mermaid into stone or something? Can't she do that here?

3)The Neverland horror story would be a good idea if you actually explain to us why. I am so darn tired of hearing about how scary the place is or how dangerous Pan is. You can't just tell us it's scary you have to explain why it is that way. When the evil queen shows up in the flashback, everyone run and hide. That makes sense considering that we've seen her do a lot of awful stuff (including murder, terrorizing people, setting a witch on fire and raping a helpless huntsman). Heck, we saw her rip a woman's heart without blinking.
That's scary. What did Pan do? Nothing.

It's simply too darn stupid to expect us to accept that Pan is somehow stronger than the Dark One and the Evil Queen with no explanation. It's even dumber when everyone at the party just accepts it as well.

Overall? Better than season 2, but then again after the stupidness of the anti-magic terrorists what wouldn't be?
More+
Flag
-Flashbacks are not completely pointless, it's great way to show of Reginas once great wardrobe. And we get to see some of their characters at their best, though this time around it wasn't anyones. But usually means seeing Snow be badass, or Regina being badass, or someone just at a great point. Now they're all kind of sad really.
-I agree the fighting is pretty awful, and mostly laughable. But I disagree that just because Hook has one hand means he can't be a great fighter. He's lived a long time with just one hand if you think about it, and the fact that he's much older than he looks and many of characters. But besides that mostly agree with you,.
-As far as Peter Pan, I agree I want to see him be bad and scary. We don't know much about Peter Pan, no clue just how long he's been there and has a whole realm at his disposal. So it's not unbeleivable how powerful he is and that he could be more powerful than Regina and Rumple but it'd be great for him to show it.
Flag
I agree that flashbacks *can* be great, when Lost had them first season there were a great in adding to the story.

But... When the entire show is built upon a "pattern" of scene, flashback, scene, flashback
They are added not because they are needed but because "well, we have to stick up something" and that becomes awful.

I don't think it's utterly impossible for someone to be more powerful than Regina or Gold. But I am going to have to see *why* before I accept it.
And I cannot possibly fathom how neither Emma nor Snow bother to ask "how bad can this guy be more than the two of you?"
That is what makes no sense here.

Flag
Well Pan seems to be brainwashing Henry into hating Emma. Also Charnming may die. He also made Emma realise she is alone and an orphan, threatening to make her alone again. I 'd say he has his ways of dealing with people. he cleverly uses people's fears against them. Maybe in the end Emma is his target, or Henry and he first wants them to be alone, who knows
Flag
Pan said 2 things:
1)He doesn't lie
2)He needs the heart of a true believer

Since he never actually named the believer to be Henry and everyone kept pushing Emma to "believe", I think it's obvious that Pan wants her.

Flag
Henry did fly because he believed, so he may be the truest believer. Maybe Emma is though, I don't know. Whoever of them is though, I think it's going to be ok. I secrettly hope pan is good and just wants to make everyone believe and make them stronger in order to fight something else
Flag
I disagree about the brainwashing- I think that was testing Henry's belief. And if Emma acknowledges (and deals with, the harder of the 2) her feelings about being abandoned, it can only make her stronger. Possibly even magically?
Flag
Maybe. I think his agenda is to make Emma stroger. She will become by dealing with the fact that she is both an orphan and abandoned her son too
Flag
Im calling it: the boy which Emma didnt kill is Henry! think about it...
Flag
Loved the episode... heartbreaking the scene between snow and emma :-((((
Flag
wow, no mention of Rumple in the flashbacks? Those were my favorite scenes of this ep! He was just so sassy - not even evil, which was just a joy to watch; especially when talking to Snow about Excaliber and Camelot. Lets be honest, the episodes without Rumple/Gold are just not as exciting (at least IMO). I am really hoping that Gold completely goes Dark One in Neverland - his character is just so much more interesting when he is evil :)
Also a note on Rumple/Belle - even though he tends to get angry and grab her, if you look closely he was SO gentle with her - his grab looked more like he wanted to kiss her than strangle her.
Emma really shone in this ep as well - her scene with Snow was just heartbreaking! A++ acting there!
Flag
Robert Carlyle in leather sans shirt and glitter- DAMN! Although the "Wiccan businessman" look has its own mafiosa charm... Even the simplest gestures can be invested with emotion- such a pleasure to watch him in any outfit.
Flag
Staff
I did laugh when he stole snow's necklace for "wasting his time"...I love that Robert Carlyle is now Rumple without the insane hair and glitter paint...it lets him use the full range of his considerable facial expressions to really fight that poppet.
Flag
I loved this episode - jennifer morrison killed it in all her scenes - especially the scene where she admitted to being an orphan.. The actor playing Peter Pan was also great - he really nailed the scenes with Emma especially the last one. I can't see them killing off charming but it will be interesting to see how it plays out
Flag
Staff
Peter Pan did a good job of staying sinister yet boyish.
Flag
I know that he would be pretty old now, but wouldn't it be cool if they got Dante Basco to play Rufio as a flashback in a Hook vs. Pan story line?

I can understand that it would be overdone at that point, but look at Bob Hoskins. He played Smee in both the film Hook and the TV miniseries Neverland 20 years after the film came out.

I mean look at this recent audition tape of Rufio.
If he lost the goatee, he could probably still pull off being a teen with the added Rufio make up.

Also, great to see Gustavo again as the Magic Mirror. Its been over a season and a half since we last really saw him. I hope they bring him back to do another cameo.
Flag
Staff
This is awesome thanks for finding. Rumor had it when I was in school that Rufio went to UCLA?
Flag
That would have been so cool. He probably got Rufio impersonations all the time at UCLA. If I had gone there, I totally would have dressed up as Peter Pan during Halloween.
Flag
"American Dragon: Jake Long" Dante Basco?
Flag
I don't know the reference, but yes Dante Basco
Flag
Confused on how the portrayal of Rumplestilksin's true love can still be seen as cute or inspiring, considering he keeps getting pawsy with each misunderstanding. I actually thought they were going to jump in and do a full on Lost moment and have Belle be some apparition come to haunt Rumple's past, but it seems she only wanted him to let go of it. If that was the case, I would have looked forward to some ghosts following our crew around in the forest and terrorizing them - maybe have a young Cora haunt a still-guilt ridden Regina, and finally explain the strange devotion Regina has to her mother, despite all her failings, and cruelties. Emma's struggle was actually very enjoyable to watch - A+ acting at the end, looking forward to more moments like that. And I hear we are going to have a Love Interest for Regina - still praying to the Gods that its Emma, (do I have to make a sacrifice or something?) but hopefully if it isn't it's not some random character to jump out of nowhere and make her swoon. Or Hook. Or anyone other than Emma. (jk but not reallY).
Flag
First and foremost, Grumpy, get over yourself already. The guy was going to marry Mydias' daughter and damped her for Snow White. Moreover he almost died stopping her from killing Regina and going Dark. He was a prince and could have all the gold in the world without risking his life every 3.2 seconds. Just wake up. If you become slightly stupidier, you'll die.

Second, This is so weird. It's the first time I felt mad at Regina. I mean... I saw her slaughter a village and I was shocked but I didn't really care. I saw her kill Snow's father and hunt Snow but for some reason this didn't touch me as much as yesterday's episode. Yet, yesterday she didn't kill anyone at flashbacks, nor was that Evil. She was even cooperative in the "present". (Sort of...) You could say in this flashback she was nicer than in any other since she became the Evil Queen. Yet, today I was genuinely frustrated for anything she did in all the previous episodes. I guess that so long I just watched without really participating. This was the first time I sympathised with Emma and maybe that's why.

Third, The "accept who you are" caught me off guard. I thought at first that it was something petty like "the savior" or that she would have to cast magic, accepting her magic self. So I was like "whatever, one more reveal that anyone expects but is supposed to be big" and I was snobbing it. Hook said it in past but for some reason I haven't linked the dots till the time she accepted who she was, thus I was pretty surpriced.

Forth, I like this setup... Neverland+one more place. Hope they keep it that way. (Do you imagine a Storybrooke+Fairytale land without Neverland episode?) Moreover, Pan seems to have potential as a villian. Much more decent than the two that shall not be named.

Last and indead least, hate Neverland! I mean that I hate the word. I want to make my own subtitles because I don't like the online ones but Neverland is translated as (the Country of Never). I mean they just say one word and I have to write and fit a whole phrase in so short time. Can't they just stop using the word "Neverland"? Maybe say something like: we are here. Journey to the (is)land. The Unidentified Land posseses many dangers etc etc.
More+
Flag
First of all - the flashback was boooring. The only thing that made it worth it was the awesome outfit the queen wore while offering the deal!

Secondly (and more to the point) - I think getting Emma to admit she is an orphan (a lost girl) and getting Rumple to remembering he basicly is too is all a part of Pans plan to make them "his". Im thinking that being "lost kids" gives him a (magical?) hold on them somehow. It is also the only reason that makes sense for giving her the map.

All in all, I thought the episode was so-so. Felt a bit like a filler to me
Flag
There were actually 3 couture gowns for Regina and they were so beautiful.

Even though Charming is beyond repair (seriously worst character ever) him being a gold digging bastard added some interest to him.

Anyway, great episode. If they keep this going we can officially say the show's back.
Flag
The show we used to love during the first season is back on track. Love "Neverland" storyline. My only complaints is the David/Charming character. That guy is useless.
Flag
At least he's less of an awful person than he was during season 1.
Flag
I like David - or at least I used to - but I hate the way they've been writing him. He has so much potential as a character in his own right, so I don't understand why they just use him as a talking board for Snow, and to prop her up. Super frustrating.
Flag
Staff
This is a great point. The show has made a real effort to present strong heroines, but that shouldn't imply milquetoast heroes. I wish Charming was more pro-active and less addled, as he was in FTL flashbacks season 1...with this wound sub plot, for better or worse, I suspect he's about to get a pretty rich storyline.
Flag
Yeah, hopefully this wound storyline will play out well for him. It's very Disney, when you think about it - strong heroines paired with princes who are, well, sort of just there. Of the Disney movies, Prince Phillip, Prince Charming, and Snow White's prince (who I don't think even had a name?) were pretty personality-less.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members