An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25, 2016)

Kristin Bauer will reprise her role as Maleficent on Once Upon a Time, Entertainment Weekly reports.

When the True Blood alum last appeared on the ABC drama at the end of Season 2, what remained of Maleficent's body after Emma had slain her had been reanimated into a zombie creature stuck in the cave under the clock tower.

Bauer will recur in a major story arc during the second half of Season 4, suggesting that Maleficent might become the show's next Big Bad once its much-hyped Frozen storyline ices over. There's also the chance that Maleficent's return will draw more from the recent Angelina Jolie movie rather than the Sleeping Beauty story, since Aurora is already married and pregnant. Here's hoping that's the case, and that OUAT takes inspiration from Maleficent by introducing Aurora's father, King Stefan, the love of the witch's life who burned her wings.

Once Upon a Time returns Sunday, September 28 at 8pm on ABC.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview: 
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

34 Comments
Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I want ALADDIN!!!
Flag
I can't wait because this Frozen crap gotsta go.
Flag
So this is what has become of the once innovative show Once Upon a Time...jumping from one high grossing film to the next.
It has always been glorified fanfiction but seriously guys... it's turning into 'Fairy tales with OTHER PEOPLE'S modern twists'.
Flag
Maleficent is one thing, Barbie's aunt is completely another...
Flag
Does this mean we'll see more Aurora and Prince Phillip? Maybe we'll even find out where Mulan dropped off the face of the earth. Because that would be neat.
Flag
so excited about maleficent being on this show YES!!!
Flag
chadmeredith5, we also saw her reanimated as some sort of ghoul when they ventured back down into the crypt in season 2.
Flag
How could Maleficent *not* be dead? We saw Emma kill her when she became a dragon!
Flag
I can't remember this Maleficent from OUAT, so I guess this means she didn't leave a lasting impression. Her return might make it hard to watch her and not think "Damn, I wish it were Jolie I was looking at." The only other actress IMO who could pull the new iteration of this character off and not fall short, would be maybe Jeri Ryan, and even then...

Flag
She was on Season 1 episode 2 "The thing you love most" in human form. Maleficent was given the curse by Regina and Regina wanted it back. Maleficent said no and they spared, and Regina got it back. After failing to enact the curse the first time she attempted it by sacrificing her favorite horse, she goes to Rumple and was told she must sacrifice the heart of what she loves most and she ends up using her father's heart.
In Season 1 finale"the thing you love the most" she started out in human form but changed into dragon form while fighting Charming. In the same episode, Emma went up against her and "killed" her dragon form as it turned to dust, so if she is alive then perhaps only her dragon form was killed but no her and she escaped. Or she was brought back to life somehow.
She was also in the spinoff in episode 3, forget me not. The knave became a member of the merry men and even though Robin hood told all the men that they were just going to steal gold (that the knave convinced him to steal in the first place), the knave stole a looking glass that allowed a person or persons to travel between worlds. In this episode we only hear the actress's voice when she demands the looking glass be taken back to the castle. Robin kicks the knave out of the band, and Will goes with his gf Anastasia to wonderland.
More +
Flag
OH MY GOD MY PAM IS MALEFICENT. DOUBLE JOY
Flag
I love me some Pam I mean Kristin Bauer lol, with the Angelina Jolie movie being such a success I think that Maleficent being added to the cast as a villainous is a no brainer, it was extremely disappointing to see Pam/Krisin last time have such a minor role in the show and then get killed off without any of that bitchy wit that Kristin brings to the table, I have a feeling this will be epic, but then again this wouldn't be the first time OUAT took a promising character and missed the mark completely Ursula, Mulon, Sir Lancelot, Maleficent, Peter Pan and the list goes on... but fingers crossed
Flag
I am super excitited about this. Getting someone like Kristen Bauer and greatly under using her was dumb. Of course I'm sure there was conflict with season five of True Blood beginning to film. But still, what little they did use of her was awesome. Her and Regina trading barbs back and forth was hilarious. This show needs more frenemies like that.
Flag
Long life to Pam! Or Maleficent? A very god news!
Flag
PAAAAAAAM!!! You're going to rock that season! You have to!

I can't help but to think of Maleficent Swynford De Beaufort who runs her own and very first whorehouse in Storybrooke... XD
Flag
I don't really get how she'll be back, she was dead.. even for fairytales, dead is often DEAD. unless Emma changing history in the s3 finale somehow did something to Maleficent's timeline as well.

MOVIE SPOILERS!!!!
it can't follow too closely to the new Disney move though, she'd already been awakened by Prince Philip in s2... so Maleficent can't be the one to wake her up.
Flag
Well, the only ideas I can think of is either a) Emma did her history with Maleficent in S03 finale, b) she is resurrected by someone, c) maybe only her dragon form died but her human form disappeared where maybe she magically separated herself from the dragon form and survived.
Flag
She could also be seen only in flashbacks, or as I said shse could be resurrected in either the past where time travel happened or in the present.
Flag
Just in time for the DVD release of the movie! Ka-ching!
Flag
does that mean The Jungle Book people will make their way to OUAT too? oh God.. lol and probably get some Cinderella inspired storyline in s5, and another Alice in s6
Flag
I know the knave is showing up this season. I don't want to see Alice she pissed me off. I wished that Cyrus would not get a happy ending but of course he did even though Cyrus did not deserve one.
They started out with a Cinderella storyline for like an episode or two. The actress made I think 2-3 appearances in S01 and we have not seen her, her husband (FTL)/fiance (r.w) since.
I don't see a point doing the jungle book, but I would like to see Naveen Andrews replay Jafar and get a redemption storyline.
Flag
Hmm. I think I read that movie sucked storywise.
Flag
In my opinion the movie was fantastic storywise. It was not 100% loyal to the classic, which a lot of people have problem with but I think the modern twist makes for a much more complex story.

I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's one of those movies you really should watch and decide for yourself. Different is not always bad :)
Flag
I hope that she is only back in flashbacks and not resurrected somehow. I would love to learn more about the OUaT Aurora and I hope that it also means a return of Mulan.

Though I hope they abandon that terrible plot about Mulan being in love Aurora, since it was forced and existing directly in conflict of the earlier reveal that Mulan had feelings for Prince Phillip.

Just get Mulan a love interest of her own, you don't have to backpedal on her being gay, but just make sure that whoever she falls for isn't someone who could be summed up as a crossdresser.

Seriously that was like negative 500 points when they decided to introduce a homosexual character when it A) Went against the established plot of the show and B) Put all sorts of nonexistent subtext into the source material for said character.

But Maleficent hey, that's cool
Flag
Mulan and Aurora were very gay. It seemed obvious from the moment Mulan held her heart then gave it back to her. Mulan dressed as a man in the army, which makes her a crossdresser.

I don't see where you getting this 'nonexsistent' subtext, there was plenty of subtext. And actual text. It was only because ABC and Disney were to homophobic to actually make a character gay on Once.

And what is the established plot of the show? How does Mulan being bi or gay go against it?
Flag
ABC is homophobic? Really? The same network that produces and broadcasts Modern Family, a show with two gay main characters?
Flag
Mulan was gay, or at least bi-sexual. Yes? Thats what the actresses said, and what we could tell from her characters actions. She was about to confess her love for Aurora, but before the words could come out Aurora stopped her and told her how happy she was to be pregnant, and how in love she was.

Thus, not just stopping any advancement with the storyline, but also stopping Mulan from outing herself, and thus pretty much pushing her right back into the closet.

Sounds pretty homophobic to me.
Flag
I don't know if it's the network or just the writers of the show.
Imo they were just trying distract SwanQueen shippers, a "here's some breadcrumbs, now shut up" type thing.
Flag
Well part of that was because she got a role on NBC's Believe which is why we did not see her at all in S03. I don't know if she is coming back or not. It would also be nice to see more of Red provided the actress was available-I want to say the CBS show she was on was cancelled so I don't know.
Flag
Nonexistent subtext is applied to the original story of Mulan if you make her a crossdresser who is a homosexual. Instead of it being a story of a girl trying to protect her father and survive in a male centric society it becomes something else.

The established plot of the show references the opening of season two when Mulan and Phillip find Aurora and Mulan has this moment of longing staring at Phillip when he says he has found his true love once more, that clearly was meant to indicate Mulan has developed feelings for Phillip during their time together searching for Aurora.

That storyline continued throughout most of the series until it just "magically" switched to Mulan being in love with Aurora, because fans demanded a homosexual character. It also made the Mulan character look like she has a fatal flaw where she just happens to fall in love with anybody she's left alone with for more than 2 episodes.

Which would have been a compelling plot actually in a world where true love is the most powerful magic, to have someone who so desperately wants to find it that she imagines it whenever someone shows her kindness would be pretty cool.
More +
Flag
To the best of my knowledge fans never demanded a homosexual character. What they, and I myself *begged* for was that chemistry between two characters should not be denied simply because they are both women - if it is there, use it is what we asked, repeatedly - and it was never about Aurora and Mulan.
Revealing that Mulan might or might not - probably could be if you want it bad enough - gay was damage control, the writers' pathetic attempt at equal representation after they were called out on baiting. Most of us are just as unimpressed with the whole Mulan/Aurora thing as you are.
Flag
It seemed like a pretty clear forward and progressive storyline. Mulan fell for Aurora. It seemed rather sweet. It wasn't over done or forced, but a slow build up with an obvious conclusion.

Flag
Bringing her back is the best desciion they've made in a LONG time.
Flag
Kristin Bauer can pull off anything, even OUaT dresses. Good news.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members