We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC

Once Upon a Time S03E03: "Quite a Common Fairy"

Guys!!! I just watched "Quite a Common Fairy" straight off my midnight flight and jet lag can’t be completely responsible for what a complex, startling, and visually insane entry into the OUAT canon it truly was. We can definitely add this episode to the case file of evidence that Lana Parrilla is OUAT’s biggest hope for Season 4, as the show spent approximately 40 minutes developing Regina (NOT a complaint) and three minutes forwarding the plot (i.e., Tinker Bell joined the group, and Neal is on the island). "Quite a Common Fairy" was also undeniable evidence that OUAT feels like it needs to woo its audience back, as several fan-favorite elements got worked in, like:

A) The Blue Fairy is officially a bitch and everybody knows it.

B) Sleeping Warrior for REALSIES

C) Tinker Bell said everything the audience has been thinking.

Hearing Tinker Bell defend Regina to the Blue Fairy was completely refreshing and some of her dialogue seemed practically lifted from commenters on past reviews here in our own little OUAT bubble. "Everyone deserves a second chance." "Regina needs love more than anyone." "If she’s surrounded by darkness, then she needs the most help." It felt good to hear someone onscreen making these statements- ones that appeared in fan manifestos throughout Season 2. 

Despite the lack of real-time action, the episode was absorbing, especially the flashbacks, which for once (unlike Regina’s extensions) didn’t feel completely tacked-on. Regina dished about her "sham marriage" with Leopold and skipped out on magic lessons because she didn’t want to be consumed with darkness—a heartening concession to Regina as a character, and maybe a hint that the series realized it went too far in "The Evil Queen" when it depicted Regina organizing a fairy-tale genocide. There was an actually insightful line from Rumpelstiltskin to Regina (as she dined on a roast swan) that darkness wasn’t a feast, she was the feast and darkness was consuming her. And then her ambiguous, maybe-it-was-intentional/it-wasn't-exactly-suicide-but-if-it-was-she-had-her-reasons fall from her tower bedroom (dark!), from which she was saved by Tinker Bell. And, you know, a fairy saving someone's life without resetting them to childhood? Uh, no, not allowed. The Blue Fairy was piiiisssssed. Did you get a look at her face as she stood waiting for Tinker Bell in her Tulip bedroom? She had to literally hold the pimp hand down.

I love that OUAT is now just explicitly painting the Blue Fairy as a meddling hater. Her character has been the worst for a long time and the fans have been on to her all along (what kind of psychopath turns a man into a anthropomorphic cricket?) and now it's officially on the books that she’s the kind of A-hole who would rip the wings off Tinker Bell just for being nice and send her splatting down to the ground, revealing her underpants to the whole world.

Seriously that fall made me laugh out loud. Because I’m an awful person, yes, but it was an awkward angle, sort of insanely sad, and the Foley sound effect that accompanied Tink hitting the ground did a bit too much for me. They made tiny little Tinker Bell sound like a bag of cold chili and gravel falling onto a sheet of steel. She didn't deserve that, especially after all her work as an audience surrogate/Regina's friend.

Although a real friend doesn’t try to hook you up with some stranger with a footballer hooligan tattoo in a back alley, if we’re being honest. 

I know we’re supposed to now get excited about Regina eventually meeting Robin Hood and having a love interest. But for reals, with scenes like the one where Emma noticed that Regina was calling their mission "Operation Henry" (just like Henry would have done), and seeing how Henry takes after Regina, and then Regina begging Emma to try to combine magic with her... well, it’s basically The Parent Trap up on Neverland right now.

Maybe that is the dynamic the show is hoping to actually convey with having Neal appear on the island—a man who will use a four-year-old boy as demon bait and still "isn’t sure about all that" when asked if he’ll get together with Emma and Henry. Of course, considering Neal ended the show getting found by a Lost Boy, it’s more probable he’ll end up in Pan’s "compound" (hahaha you mean those trees? LOL), watching Henry fall prey to all the fun games the Lost Boys enjoy, like putting damp sticks in the mud and draping their cowl-hooded capes just so. 

I was taken aback and yes, impressed when Henry tried to fire a poison arrow right at Pan’s heart. I do wonder if Pan’s point about him being descended from the "greatest dark and greatest light" is technically correct, because Rumple wasn’t dark until years after Neal was born. (A red light should go off and an alarm should sound whenever I ask this show to make chronological sense. It’s not what OUAT is for. However if it's going to make big, flourish-y statements like that, implying the writers worked all this out many seasons in advance, then they're forcing me to remind them that the OUAT timeline is one big wobbling tower of Jenga, so please don't tempt me to pull out a piece.)

The climax of the episode was yet another standoff involving a magical, disembodied heart. After Tink picked up Regina’s dropped lacy handkerchief, smelled it and recognized Regina’s scent, stalked her during a conversation with Emma, and upbraided her for not revealing their entire past, Tink knocked Regina out and dragged her to a cave, where she watched her wake up like a crazy ex-girlfriend, and then Regina countered by putting her heart in Tink’s hands.

Maybe it was the jet lag, but when I was watching this it felt once again like Tink was an audience surrogate threatening not to kill Regina, but to stop watching the show. The show had burned her in the past. She couldn’t trust it anymore. She was very angry at the show in many ways. And Regina was begging her not to stop, begging her not to end the possibility of a fourth season (in my jet-lagged brain) and asking the audience to choose hope that the show would get better instead of being angry at how bad Season 2 got. Yes, mistakes had been made. But let go of the anger and hope that Season 3 turns things around because it’s trying OH LAWD IT’S TRYING!!!

Maybe that’s the jet lag talking, but it fit beautifully to me. Re-watch it and pretend that instead of Tink threatening to kill Regina, they're discussing what happens if OUAT fandom stops watching OUAT. I'm telling you, it fits. Also I have been up for 23 hours.

Finally, let’s talk about OUAT’s first canon gay couple! Mulan, taking the advice of a man who flew out of the room holding onto a shadow’s toe...

... decided to tell a "loved one" what she felt, and we cut immediately to Aurora, merrily watering plants in a mysteriously restored palace. Aurora gushed about sleeping for two, and Mulan was understandably DEVASTATED.

As Mulan told Aurora specifically it was AURORA that Mulan needed to talk to, not Philip, I think we can safely say that Mulan (i.e., the least commercially viable of Disney’s heroines) is the gay character OUAT has been promising since the summer. If so: Way to immediately crush the possibility of a love triangle with a fetus! SO MUCH WASTED DRAMA. Mulan and the inexplicably resurrected Philip are like best friends. It could have been like Camelot with Philip as Arthur and Mulan as Lancelot.

Still: We have to congratulate the show for letting Mulan out of the closet. I was so pleasantly surprised by the development that I’m not even going to bring up that OUAT may be trying to satisfy a vocal fan base by including a minor character’s gay crush instead of pursuing a gay romance between two main characters... I’m just not even going to mention that! I simply want to take a moment to celebrate that there’s a gay Disney princess, period. 

And I’m going to watch for that storyline developing in complexity—because I choose hope, not anger.

QUESTIONS:

... Is this season going to turn into a Lost Boys vs. Merrie Men situation?

... Was Neal reckless with another man’s child?

... Regina and Robin Hood: yay or nay?

... Mulan and Aurora: Will the show follow this storyline? Will they keep it ambiguous or maybe even just leave it at that scene?

... How will they cure David?

... Tattoos: turn on or turn off?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/1/2016

Season 5 : Episode 20

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/8/2016

Season 5 : Episode 21

382 Comments
Comments (382)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apparently the scene between Mulan and Aurora is open to interpretation, because I was certain Mulan was planning to tell Aurora that she loves Phillip, as we have known since season 2. Maybe it was left unsaid so that those people yearning for a gay "princess" could interpret it that way? Each viewer may take from it whatever they choose. Either way, it's not happening so we will never "know".
Flag
I agree that Mulan could love either or both. At first I was sure she was just going to confess her love towards Philip, because of course she would tell her friend first before just blurting it out to the guy. But there were some tinkles between the girls too. She could have shifted her feelings from Philip to Aurora too. No matter what, the new baby thing is in the way.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I loved this episode, the flashbacks, the Neverland stories and the Enchanted Forest stories as well. My favourite character is Regina, and she had quite a bit of good scenes in this one.

In the flashbacks I noticed that she wore the same clothes, earrings and necklace as in the episode We Are Both. I presume it had to be not much later, altough probably it was some months into her marriage, from what she told about her marriage to Tink. She seemed more innocent and softer than in the Doctor, so I guess one of her reasons for not wanting a new love was that she still couldn't let go Daniel.

About the Regina-Robin pairing: it depends on the chemistry between the actors and the way the writers will handle the situation, but I am absolutely looking forward this storyline. At first I found their pairing random as well, but the more I was thinking about, the more plausible it became. Daniel was Regina's only love this far, but she really liked Graham too. Both men were in a way close to nature, loved animals, led a simple life. Young Regina was just the same. (And I strongly believe that part of that girl still lives on in her) And that's why I think that with Robin she could be more of the person she wanted to be, before the schemings of her mother and Rumple.
More+
Flag
Couldn't that part about Henry being descended from "the greatest dark and brightest light" or whatever, be foreshadowing Neal/Baelfire being evil or something? He hasn't been the most scrupulous of characters so far... Maybe that's where they're going with that. Probably not though, but if they do go there, pick up the phone 'cause I called it.
Flag
My daughter and I couldn't believe Tinkerbell's splat, and must have rewound it half a dozen times.
Flag
I find it interesting that, when talking about Regina needing love & someone to believe in her, you ignored what happened to Tink as a result. It's the same thing that happens to everyone who tries to give Regina a chance....THEY suffer. I want Regina to find happiness, I sincerely do, but she has to be willing to accept it.

That's what I loved about the episode. Not someone giving Regina a chance (I've seen that), but Regina finally owning up to her own mistakes. Finally admitting that SHE is the problem. That scene in the cave when Tink asked 'Was being happy such a terrible fate?' and Regina saying 'Yes!' was the best scene of the night. It pretty much summed up her character in one conversation. Hopefully, it's the first step in getting her out of the never-ending self-destructive cycle.
Flag
Eh. That was pretty much my reaction to this episode. I think that, with the sole exception of Henry trying to shoot Pan, I saw every twist coming at least 5 minutes before it was revealed. The guy with the tattoo being Robin Hood? Saw it coming. Mulan going for Aurora (even though it totally does not fit with Mulan's visible feelings in season 2)? Saw it coming.

Yes, Neal was absolutely reckless with another man's child. I don't see how anybody could disagree on that point.

I do like how they're anticipating fan responses and starting to head them off. I especially liked Robin Hood's response to Neal's request, which neatly summarized my reaction to Neal's logic: "So, because I value family, I should risk my own?"

Didn't Gold offer to turn Neal back into a boy? I totally get why Neal was appalled and how the scene was meant to show how little Gold had changed... but, selfishly, I kind of wish he'd taken Gold up on it. I liked Bae so much more than I like Neal.

Regina and Robin Hood: Depends. Will they have chemistry? Will they work? We have no idea, because they've never even been in the same frame. :) It would kind-of be interesting, especially since one of the first times we saw Snow in FTL flashbacks, she was being a Robin Hood-type figure, so it might be interesting to see how MM's reaction to Robin Hood would influence Regina's feelings (historically, Snow has had a remarkable ability to unintentionally influence Regina's feelings).

Mulan and Aurora: They will probably leave it at that, at least for this season.

My own question: will there be a bromance between David and Hook? That, actually... I would be interested to see that. Especially if neither of them really change who they are (Hook still very pragmatic, Charming still the ultimate idealist)... I'd like to see that dynamic.
More+
Flag
Didn't Gold offer to turn Neal back into a boy? I totally get why Neal was appalled and how the scene was meant to show how little Gold had changed... but, selfishly, I kind of wish he'd taken Gold up on it. I liked Bae so much more than I like Neal.
ha, I understand the sentiment.Bae is way better. However I am against that since it would be another male who f---ed up Emma's life and instead of facing the consequences, go to be turned into a boy and was able to run away from the responsibilities.(In addition to Rumple not having to be responsible for the hurt he caused and also Henry not getting his father.)

I would like the bromance. Well for one thing, neither of them really have any other male company to hang around with. I guess Hook could find his crew amoung Storybrooke since according to Smee they are all suppose to be there. However who does David have? The dwarves are totally his wife's friends, Whale he has animosity toward because MM slept with him, I would think Frederick would feel the same towards him, Hopper and Gepetto are best buds, Rumplestilskin already had so much influence on his life and he can't view him as a friend, and the Hatter is just missing. (Maybe he could become friends with the sheffiff of Nottingham. ha! that would be amusing to see but totally would not happen.) But more importantly i want the bromance to occur cause I wanna see Emma's parents on Hook's side of the Neal-Emma-Killian love triangle. And they should be , considering what Neal put Emma through.

More +
Flag
For all of us who hope Robin Hood isn't Regina's man with the lion tattoo:
Actually it makes sense that Robin would not be the only one with the tattoo. It just occurred to me that Robin is among those who are in support of Richard the Lionhearted. So couldn't that just be a code tattoo?
I guess that means the Sheffif of Nottingham is out, though I feel even he'd probably have better chemistry with Regina.
I think it would be neat if they make a connection to Much/Midge (of the Merry Men) since he is known as the Miller's son. He varies in depiction as either a boy or older, so he can become Regina's child (if not a new nickname for Henry), a cousin, or just someone to bond with for having a familiar background.
Flag
I was pretty mad at the Mulan reveal. Sleeping Warrior is ADORABLE but (okay I know I can't ask Once to make sense and keep up with preestablished plot lines) it was heavily implied last season that Mulan loved Philip and of course the stupid true loves kiss b/s. So many freaking mixed messages about soulmates and true love and all that b/s on this show.

Regina + Robin Hood is so incredibly dumb. The fans predicted before season three even started and I wrote it off as too stupid. Ahh writers you love to prove me wrong about just how stupid you're willing to get.

Love the very Swan Queeny moment with jealous Regina (hello!). Too bad Snow c blocked and now Emma and Hook are going to kiss next episode or whatever. Yawn.
Flag
wait didnt season 2 pretty directly setup the conflict as mulan loved phillip? is it contradictin that or implying that after all the time she spent with Auroa in season 2 that she fell in love with her instead?
Flag
Enough with the pc crap
Mulan could just come to Aurora to tell her she is in love with Philip
as a good friend does
That does not mean she is gay
Flag
Mulan would not have been happy to confess to Aurora that she's in love with her prince/husband/true love.

If you were in love with your best friend's husband/wife, would you honestly risk everything and act like a complete insensitive jerk by looking OVERJOYED to tell them that you'd discovered that you were in love with THEIR significant other? That just doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry to break it to you, but Mulan came to tell Aurora that she loved her.
Flag
If you value someone friendship you should be honest of how you feel about his husband/wife that is not being stupid that is being a true friend
Flag
But why would she look so happy to tell her?
Flag
We cannot question the OUAT storyline and/or timeline. Seriously guys don't do it....the whole show may fall apart in the process :P
Flag
yea I hate to admit it's Lost all over again. Although I think OUAT season 1 was even better than Lost's season one (which was great).
Flag
1. Now that would actually be kinda cool
2. Yes. But the man is a puts, so can't say I was surprised.
3. NAY. Good lord, can this woman just please start making her own decisions!? Instead of constantly being told what she should and should not do to either find happiness or absolute power!? Regina Mills has like, ZERO autonomy on that show and somehow we're supposed to NOT understand why she is the way she is?? Ugh, this show.
4. I wouldn't put it passed the people running this show that this might be the only scene we'll get (Sarah Bolger and Jamie Chung also have gigs on other shows, so probs won't be able to show up much). This shit is worse than queerbaiting, because it's suppose to placate us and is therefore insanely insulting.
5. True love's kiss? Do we really care??
6. Now that always depends on the tattoo and the person.
Flag
1. Probably
2. Yes
3. Jury is still out. I'm not sure
4. Ambiguous- felt really badly for Mulan, my best friend has been through this many times. She's had loads of crushes on girls she's known. And they never have any idea.
5. No Idea, make up something we haven't seen or heard of probably
6. Can take 'em or leave 'em. I don't have any, but I don't mind if others do.

Where can I get a pair of shiny, metallic, green underpants?
Flag
I have a serious problem with the Mulan is in love with Aurora storyline. The reason being at the beginning of the second season it was heavily heavily implied that she was in love with Phillip and that she was remiss when it came to having found Aurora because it meant she would be losing him. Now after an off-screen season of adventuring with Aurora we are supposed to believe that she is now in love with her. It reeks of lazy writing and also sloppy characterization. Not to mention its a huge slap in the face to the devoted fans of Once Upon a Time because I know what with all the hinting at Mulan having feelings for Phillip I was hoping all of Neal's advice about seizing the opportunity to tell the one you love you love them was goading her into finally coming clean with Phillip. It was a real screw you when something I had been looking forward to since the first episode of Season Two was cast aside in favor of "shock value" and "look LGBT community we have a gay character too."

It also throws away a bunch of character building that they did with Mulan and Phillip in the tail end of season two. That was a relationship I could actually see happening. While the Mulan/Aurora thing has no basis in the facts thus far presented to the audience.
More+
Flag
Mulan gay!!!! WTF...that was awesome..well i would have chosen Phillip in a instant..hahahahaha he is so cute...!!!
I thought that Blue was really harsh to Tinkerbell...
Liked this episode to different sides of Regina...!!
Flag
I watch this ridiculous show for one reason - HOOK! Damn that boy is FINE!
Flag
IT was a good plan with the child... they were NOT going to let anything happen. Baelfire knew how to take a person's place. He did it before. I am glad he is on the island... Mulan whatever...Tinkerbell is awesome and maybe she can go kick the blue fairies butt =nobody has wings anymore.
Flag
I have been reading all your reviews and I really need to get this off my chest. UGH! This drives me crazy already. I would like to know why everyone is so convinced Henry should be loyal to Regina. It is like everyone completely glossed over the fact that she killed him! (Granted it was an accident, she really meant to kill his mom so I guess that's "Better") The worse thing Rumple has done in Storybrook was try to shut down the well so that Cora and Hook couldn't get through, Yeah Emma and Snow would've died as a result, but his intention wasn't to harm them. And yeah his fault they were in FTL to begin with, but that was because he was trying to punish Regina for imprisoning Belle for 28 years while making him think she was dead. Not to mention that Regina is fully responsible for Emma not having parents in the first place. She also tried to fraim Mary Margaret, plotted with her mom to kill/control rumpel so they could use him to kill all of Henry's family, and was going to kill all of storybrook with the safety switch and only didn't because the idiots Greg and Tamara beat her to it! So her "sacrificing herself" to save Henry or stopping herself from killing Emma and snow in the well are noble acts on Regina's part. It is her trying to fix her own mess. So I do NOT think the characters should be bending over backwards to thank her for not killing them all. Also, the reason her "redemption" is taking so long is because every time she does ANYTHING even remotely good, if she isn't praised for it immediately she follows by doing something 2 times as wrong as the last evil thing she did.
More+
Flag
We don't know that Regina is worse. She is just recently more worse. However, let's not forget that Rumple has 300 years of misdeeds, including corrupting and manipulating Regina to make her what she is today. Regina had what, 10 yrs of first being made into an evil doer and than doing evil and then a 28 yr mostly respite. In the 28yr break the worst she did was to Graham and then Greg and Flynn. She only started up again after Emma came to town and has been battling the darkness within herself for Henry's sake.
But Rumple had 300yrs or so more than Regina in which we know he abandoned his child in want of power, killed his wife, killed any number of people who looked down on him or had what he wanted (such as the seer) and who knows who else, manipulated many lives not only through negotiations (which I don't think you can fault him for since people willingly gave up things including their children for cushier lives) but through his own orchestrations to get the future he wanted.
Flag
Rumpelstiltskin and Regina are very similar and are basically counterparts. Both have a son they love dearly, both have killed their spouses , both had spouses who loved someone else more, both harbor vengeance for the person they blame for taking away their love......except that Rumple has come more in peace with himself since he has almost (and now has) reached his goal of finding his son.
Flag
Staff
To be fair, she wasn't trying to kill Henry, she was trying to put Emma under the sleeping curse, and Henry knowingly took a bite of the turnover because he KNEW it would put him under and he wanted to prove to Emma he wasn't just imagining magic. So its more like Henry threw himself under the bus- similarly, Emma threw herself off the ship in the premiere to get her parent's attention.
On paper yes, Regina is the worst. And Rumple is the Dark One and cast the whole curse and corrupted Regina. Yet I think we're all rooting for Rumple and Regina more than really anyone else on the show, because they as actors own the characters and are way more compelling than the good guys.
Also even on paper its significant that Regina doesn't just kill Snow & co. outright. She went to great lengths to move everyone to Storybrooke, put Snow under a sleeping curse, etc. That's why Evil Queen made the fandom do such a spittake last season, because the actions were so inconsistent with the character work Lana had done.
If you want to see straight up villains, Wonderland is trying to do that right now and its having trouble finding an audience. Villains with no redeemable qualities are simply not compelling. Anti-heroes- or flawed people trying to be better- are always going to be more interesting, and I think my reviews reflect my focus on the villains of this show being the best characters. (Except for Tamara and Greg, NEVER FORGET how awful they were.)
More +
Flag
She is not redeemed because she haven't regretted anything she have done yet. She just tries to do the right thing because Henry asks her to do so but she still believes that anything she did was justified. I honestly believe that each and everyone can change but it's hard and the first step is to recognise that you did something wrong. Regina hasn't done that yet. Only in this episode do we see that she seemed kinda like recognising that what she did to Tink was wrong. And this is why this episode was a big development for Regina's character as she has never seemed to regret anything in the past. (She still blames Snow for ruining her life)

By the way, have you ever thought that if it weren't for Regina Emma would have never been borned? King George was killing Prince Charming when Regina saved his life. Of course, she tried to kill him after she managed to put Snow under the sleep curse. However, even if Regina have never interfered Prince James would still have died, David would have taken his place and he would have either met Snow, ran away with her and died or married Mydias' daughter. Either way, Emma would have never been conceived.
More +
Flag
Regina is his mother. Would you turn your back on your mother?
Flag
Its incredibly hard not to love your parents , even if they abuse you as long as they have shown to be caring toward you.
I would think its basically impossible not to love them if they have been wonderful toward you and have a horrid past or are awful to others not in the family especially if you don't see it. People can be nasty people but be wonderful family members. And furthermore he is still a young boy and dependent upon her so he is not going to look far passed that.

And Henry knows she is "evil" but its before she became his mom. I am pretty sure he doesn't know the details at all of Graham and he hasn't seen much after that cause she hasn't done much, and a lot of it he was able to stop because of her love for him.

And come on, I'm sure half the town has killed before. And looking at just his family line and the internal killings: His paternal grandfather (Rumple) killed his paternal mother (Milah), His adopted grandmother/step great great grandmother (Cora) killed his great grandmother (Eva), his adopted mom/ step great grandmother (Regina) killed his great grandfather/post houmous step father (Leopold) and his step grandfather/step great great grandfather (Henry), and his adopted great grandfather (George) indirectly killed his great grandmother Ruth.

More +
Flag
Regina was nice with him and we have to give her that. But sometimes this is not the only thing that matters. Because when you intend to kill your kid's family then it's clear that you don't love him as a real mother would. Maybe she's just forgot what real love means. Maybe that's why she was insisting so convincingly that she loves him, despite the fact that she didn't have her heart in her body so she couldn't really feel any emotion.
Flag
ah, and I forgot that Rumple was planning and had to try to kill his own grandson.
Flag
Does she really know love? Yes there was Daniel . However her mother was (literally) heartless and viewed love as a weakness and raised Regina as such, her father was a doormat, letting his father sell him into marriage and let the same thing happen to his daughter, no matter how miserable it made her. And her husband Leopold never loved her at all and pined away for his dead wife.
Flag
Regina IS Henry's family. For 10 years she was his entire family (he's named after her father for christ sake). He's only JUST met the rest of his family. I just can't get over how people keep forgetting she raised this boy for 10 years and even though she may not have always been nice to him, she obviously did not abuse him or treat him badly. If being a strict mother makes you a bad mother than we might as well start actually throwing babies out with the bath water cause we're all doomed.
This show keeps pulling and pushing with Regina's storyline. She has all these redeeming qualities and is actually seems to make an effort most of the time, but because she has been labelled as evil, all the "good" characters tend to be total assholes to her. Snow giving her all those chances don't count, because redemption happens on its own merit and not within the confined rules another person sets (again, Regina has NO autonomy on this show. So whenever she does make a decision of her own, it's almost always met with disdain).
Bit of a rant, but I get so mad sometimes about how good Regina Mills's character is (mostly accidently and all Lana is my guess), but how the character keeps getting pushed on the bus and most viewers don't see that.
Let's not forget what Regina said last season. Snow put the word Evil in Regina nickname. Before that she was just a Queen.
More +
Flag

Thanks so much for the reviews - highlight of my week!

Merry men versus Lost Boys: Doubtful. I imagine if anyone ends up in Neverland it’ll be Robin and his son, because of what Neal started. The shadow will come back and Robin won't let his son go without trying Neal’s trick.

Yes.

Nay. It's just so unnecessary. I don’t want anything to happen to either of them or the kid, but I’m hoping they end up in different worlds, leaving Regina free to be with Emma. Besides, Regina has a son – giving her some random kid would be a major cop-out. They need to deal with Henry and his issues with both of his mothers, and have his mothers continue to work together. Robin's life was not ruined - he has an adorable son and I'm sure he'll find someone more suitable for him than Regina.

... Mulan and Aurora: Will the show follow this storyline? Will they keep it ambiguous or maybe even just leave it at that scene?

Aurora is pregnant and thus Mulan did the honourable thing and kept her feelings secret. I don’t see anything changing there, so sadly I expect that will be all we get. :-/

No idea but I’m sure they will. Maybe Pan will offer someone a trade? Adam and Eddy said that separating Charming and Snow would be the death of all hope. Blergh.

Tattoos are generally a turn on, but not that one. The design is boring and to look any faker the edges would have to be peeling off!

More+
Flag
Tink's fall made me laugh so. hard.

Well, I loved how the played Mulan's out of the closet sort of speech, I do hope they go down that road with Aurora, not just leave it there. It'd be amazing.

I do like the possibility of Regina and Robin Hood, actually.
Flag

Hadn't considered that. I like the idea, but if it just ended up with a brawl in the forest, well. Boring.

Yes, but I'm more disappointed in Robin Hood being reckless with his *own* child.

Yay, I guess? I can see why they want to give her a love interest, but as soon as they're together, they'll lose the entire head of steam they've built up surrounding Regina's "evil or not?" thing. While I have no doubt Parilla could pull it off, I can't see the writers being able to create a compelling or long-lasting character arc where she's both with Robin, and still struggling not to be evil.

Besides, she's already got the promise of Henry to push her toward good; Robin would end up just being a reward of sorts. I'm not sure that's how I'd play it.

... Mulan and Aurora: Will the show follow this storyline? Will they keep it ambiguous or maybe even just leave it at that scene?

It'll come up a couple more times, but never be a major thing. Does anyone else remember that Mulan seemed to totally have a thing for Philip once upon a dream? This particular turnabout seems forced to me, and cries "niche fan service".

But now the producers have to balance what is likely the mildly-approving tolerance of the majority with a more robust desire for gay main characters of the niche. And when it comes to audience, this show is no Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I've said it before in these forums: marketing-wise, this isn't a show where a strong gay character in the lead is going to play well. Disney's probably already getting angry letters from fans saying they're going to return their Mulan DVDs or something. While those people are niche as well, they still represent money. No one is saying "if you don't have gays, I'll stop watching", but I'd guess there are people on the other side saying they *will* stop watching now. So I expect this to firmly remain only this version of Mulan, and not to hear much more about it.

True Love, or maybe a McGuffin. Sorry.

Hopefully "turn on", because I have several. If the consensus is "turn off", I'm going to go cry in a corner somewhere.
More+
Flag
Wait wait wait, the big surprise gay character is Mulan? The "princess" who's defining moment was choosing to impersonate a man and go fight a war instead of wear pretty dresses? Wow. That seems like such a bold and crazy move! (And not at all stereotypical or anything)
Flag
To those of us confused by time/continuity of Hood's appearance and supposed "soulmate" thing he had with Regina, and how exactly she ruined his life (before or after he had a love, and a kid): this is shamelessly ripped off from a tumblr user (sorry!). He did not have a tattoo. I repeat, he did NOT have a tattoo! So all of this is just a continuation of this summer's "love-triangle campaign" (to make Emma look more str8?) by now giving Regina random (yes, Adam - RANDOM!) love interest, too. Because, please don't tell me they actually planned this. This episode ("Lacey") was byt the end of S2.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/0dc52e368f8b2fb350bb3767ffffe1ee/tumblr_mut94ycfZN1s4g3ulo1_500.jpg
Flag
Lol
that reminds me of Smallville.
In a later season the Luthor family crest became super important, so they put it all over lex's office.

unfortunately it was clearly never-to-be-seen in the first couple seasons. Of course it was a decades if not centuries old crest but if just happened to appear after the writers thought of it. LOL
Flag
Well, there you go. Everything IS random. Including Regina's love interest they swore that it shouldn't and wouldn't be like that! Thank you for proving that point.
Flag
I've been thinking, and the whole Regina/Robin thing bugs me on one big point: Robin's tattoo. That tattoo signifies him as part of King Richard (the Lionheart's) army. Of course, in the story, Richard is off fighting the Crusades and that's how Prince John gets the throne. Robin Hood may be a myth, but Richard was a totally real person. Does HE exist in FTL? Did the Crusades? That is, I believe, the first real link between fables and reality. I can just let go and enjoy the show, but when I think on it, I have to wonder where the hell he fits in the grand story tapestry as there's a lot of real history wrapped up in his tale.
Flag
I haven't commented on Robin Hood/Regina yet because I keep thinking the same thing! If the writers are going to stick 100% completely kinda sorta to the Disney storylines, then technically, yes, King Richard and Prince John could exist in FTL. Just as Rumplestiltskin is himself, the Beast, and the crocodile, then I think the writers will now add Maid Marian to Regina's role list. She fits the bill in that she is royalty and a girl. Marian was a ward of King Richard's so she was, by decree, a royal and this is where I think they'll go with justifying Regina's new persona.

In thinking more about Mulan/Aurora/Phillip/Hood and his crooks, I've decided that I'd like to see a twist within this dynamic. Say, Phillip is somehow related to Prince John, Robz Mrrry Men & Xena are off on a rainbow-filled quest to obliterate Prince John (or at least, get him to relinquish dominion of the kingdom to Hood), Mulan and Phil realize they're frenemies, someone badly injures/kills Phillip, Mulan decides Hood's gang is actually a gang, and Mulan calls it quits with the Men. Right now that's all I've got. I say that if the writers are going to continue to blur the black/white fairy tale lines, then why not do it here as well?
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I hope Mulan's love story gets respectable treatment from the writers, she deserves atleast that. An all around good episode of OUAT
Flag
Never knew Mulan was ever gay but nice try to placate whatever. Now that's what I call a real FAIRY tail. As usual, OUAT is always good to watch with a tea and biscuit after dinner. Regina did not enter the bar shows how shallow she was in that she was expecting a hunky Zac Efron lookalike instead of the old man she mistaken for at the wrong angle. Seriously? Robin Hood and Regina? Well, if anyone can shoot on target a straight big cupid's arrow into Regina's heart, guess it better be Robin.
Flag
My theory on Aurora is that she loses the baby then Mulan comes back to be there for her and if not then I just don't know.
Flag
Lily, that's a great alternate vision/text for the scene where Regina is begging 'the fandom for another season' :-) But to be realistic, do you really believe that these actors want to be held to their contracts, unless the writing improves? Without better writing, the Emmys will continue to ignore any performances, no matter how good they may be. Any of these actors could go from this show to further productions. I greatly admire their professionalism, and their apparent loyalty to OUAT. But in cold hard fact, each of us knows that their careers would be better served by being free to move on.
Flag
You say that now but honestly they probably wouldn't get a main role like this again.. look at Katherine Heigl on Grey's Anatomy.. she thought she could do better than the show and went on to movies and hasn't really found success there.
Flag
I do agree with you both that moving on can be risky. And I am only speculating, in any event, as these actors are too highly professional and ethical to ever say anything against the show. But I'm not sure that the comparison with Grey's/Hiegl is accurate, as Grey's was getting a lot of award nominations and respectful buzz from the start - my guess is that audience share started high and continued high - and the show is in its bejillionth season. ONCE, on the other hand, fairly quickly boiled down to a smaller group of core fans - those of us who simply enjoy buckling our seat belts and taking a ride down Fantasy Lane, sorta going back to how we felt as kids. I doubt that it will ever find the artistic respect that Grey's established almost immediately, and as such, I would guess that the lead actors may be chafing a bit. But again, I agree absolutely that little in life beats getting a regular paycheck for doing something that you love!
Flag
I totally agree about the Katherine Heigl situation, She could have done so much more on Greys but left and none of her movies even come close to how good her role on greys was
Flag
I have no problem with Regina and Robin Hood. Many characters play multiple roles (Gold is Rumpelstilskin and Hook's crocodile) so why can't Regina be the evil queen as well as Robin Hood's Marion? The only thing is that if they decide to go down that road, I'd like them to build on the story and not just expect us to accept that they are soul mates just because Tinkerbell said so.
Flag
Staff
Yes, I think even amongst fans who are not rabid swan queeners Regina is considered the most developed character and just slapping this kind of resolution onto a major aspect of her life comes across as cheap and hurried.
Flag

Nay....now if you were saying RH and Mulan, I'd be all over that one!

Not into it at all. Aurora's my least favorite Disney princess next to Belle. I could do without her on the show.

Love cures all....or some Disney~esque thing like that. When the family re-unites or something

For me, turns off
Flag
I was totally feeling Robin Hood and Mulan too!
Flag
Regina and robin I don't know for me it's always just been lady Marian is his soul mate and true love I've never known any different so I'm reluctant to accept it but if they give them some scenes together and the chemistry is good then maybe but it will take some time to get used it
Flag
When I saw the lion tattoo on Regina's true love Robin Hood my immediate thought was 'You can't trust him he's a Lannister.' Things get weird when I start mixing fiction worlds.
Also I'm shipping the shit out of Mulan and Aurora so they better not just leave everything with that one measly scene.

Flag
The scene with Blue & T'bell is super funny, it's like they are parodying themselves. I laughed especially hard when blue explained what her 'tragic' reason was to strip tinkerbell off her fairy-ness. As mentioned above, the fall was hard not to laugh at. I feel neutral about Blue, she have messed-up reasoning but she's funny. Mulan-Aurora is so sweet but it'd be IMO-'awkward' to watch, so leave it at that please and the boy's ear is so~ Peter Pan.
Flag
:Sigh: It wasn't a reason, it was the cause

In Tinkerbelle's stories, when people don't believe in her she gets sick and dies. Here the Blue Fairy simply admitted that she didn't believe in her and thus she lost her powers.

So it wasn't like: You suck. Mental spell to remove powers. Bye.

It was: Honestly, I simply don't believe in you. Plop
Flag
I must be one of few who didn't get the gay/bi Mulan thing until I just read it. I thought she was going to tell Aurora that she was in love with Philip before she told him herself. That went straight over my head, oops :S.
Flag
Staff
I'm confident that was intentional on their part- I think they wanted viewers to walk away with their interpretation of that scene. It was heavily skewed toward Mulan being in love with Aurora but they left wiggle room in case there was some major uproar afterwards imho.
Flag
That scene was a bit confusing. They have given us strong hints before that Mulan wants Philip, and it would have made sense to have her talk to Aurora first. So the only thing that really indicated that it was Aurora she wanted was that she said something like "that's OK, it's you I want to talk to" rather than "that's OK, I want to talk to you first".
Flag
Moreover she was smilling more than it would be normal, considering she was about to confess that she wants to confess her love to Phillip.
Flag
Loved the episode - and the review, thanks Lily, they are half the reason why I watch this show.
Anyway, just had to say I laughed and laughed when they Neal and co were waiting for the shadow guy - "hiding" behind a chair that was in the middle of the room. And you can't see me, I'm hiding next to a curtain! Hahahahahaha
Nice
Flag
Also, the kid only needed to say the words "I believe". I would like to know the average time between moments when a boy uses those words. The shadow would hardly have time to visit them all.
Flag
Staff
Agreed, I was like "huh"? "I believe"? Space Jam must have made for a busy year for old Pan.
Flag
10 pictures until you made a ridiculous Swan Queen reference. Is this progress or merely distraction?
Flag
Hey man, I think Season 2 was a big improvement over Season 1. Season 1 was more of a chore to watch (unless it was Rumplestilskin backstory eps or the Jiminy one). Season 2 is when I became obsessed. Is it mostly due to a certain captain? Perhaps, but I believe its more from a more streamline plot instead of a lot of separate storytale theater of episodes yet to be scene from again. (And I guess I really hated the David story plot cause I have never liked cheaters and they were the trueloves of the show...and seriously I wanna know what happened to Katherine and Frederick.) The weakest point in season 2 to me are turning August into a boy (because he got to escape scot-free without any judgement for his culmination of actions) and Tamara. I actually like the start of Greg's story with that incredibly sad episode that took place in the 80s, but they totally destroyed a potentially wonderful plot line there and damned it all too hell.
Truthfully, season 3 hasnt been off to a good start since its been just swatting at tree branches (or holding on ship ropes) with only a tidbit of character development per episode. Soo not digging the new Robin and his addition to the cast so far, and definitely not if he is the sole man with the lion tattoo.
More+
Flag
I completely agree, season 2 was loads better than season 1. Hook had a lot to do with it, but I think it was also because there was a lot less of the Disney character of the week stories.
Flag
What??? I must not have paid close enough attention when I watched the show. I thought Mulan was going to look for Philip not Aurora.... I am confused someone helppp meeeeee (my apologies for asking a stupid question however help would be appreciated) . Overall though it was a great episode I am hoping that they continue to build it so that season 3 is just awesome, I can't wait :)
Flag
See my reply to girl_tattooed a few posts up.
Flag
Flag
Is it just me, or was there something off about Aurora this episode? Her hair, her facial expressions, something. It sounds horrible, but I kind of didn't like looking at her and kept looking away because it bothered me so much.
I was tired though, and she never bothered me last season, so maybe I'm just crazy
Flag
Staff
They've dramatically changed her hair, teased the top and piled it up
Flag
I actually thought they used a different actress for a bit. So something was definitely off...
Flag
Aurora looked more like she was trying to be Ariel (the little mermaid) than Sleeping Beauty, IMO. The hair was way too red than previous episodes
Flag
I thought that she looked different too! Too thin maybe? When she was talking all I could think of what that she looked a bit like a snake.
Flag
She did seem thinner and paler than usual but it didn't really bother me I still liked that scene, poor mulan.
Flag
This season is still just ok for me. I so far think that the first half of season 2 is miles above this, but it's just slightly better than post-Cora's death of season 2. And I will admit it's just flat out better than those last episodes of season 2. Things I'd like to see are for Henry to actually be somewhat changed by this whole experience. As for your questions:

1. I could see it happening! Could either go really well or be bad.
2. Well the plan worked, and the child didn't seem to be in that much danger was he (I forgot about the scene really but did the ghoul thing actually grab the boy or not)?
3. I can't really judge the Regina Robin Hood stuff because idk if they have any chemistry together yet and how believable it will be.
4. I don't see them doing much with this because I don't see Sleeping Beauty ditching Phillip for Mulan so they can raise the baby together, but then again this is OUAT so anything's possible! May give Mulan a new love interest though!
5. Probably in the minority when I say if they don't cure Charming I wouldn't be sad lol
6. Depends on how many for me!
More+
Flag
It’s funny to me that so many people didn’t see Mulan/Aurora storyline coming. For me was the most plausible gay pairing on the show, various hints were given in the second season. For the most part, I like this two together but I can’t shake the feeling that this means NO Swan Queen, which is the real thing.

I love Regina and Tink scene, it has shown us the entire path that Regina walked since the premiere of the series. Lana was amazing; you could see the hurt in hers eyes when she saw on who Tink has become.

The rest of the episode was the gayest of all. Come on, it was like reading a fanfiction. If the writers don’t go in that direction, they’re insane.

On the other hand, I think the prospect of Robin Hood and Regina accomplish one thing, which is the realization that she has the possibility to love again; and because of that, I’m cool with it. Regardless, I don’t think the pairing is right, maybe they were but after all they went through, they changed and now they need different things.
Flag
Staff
Robin Hood and Regina is kind of a random pattern. The True Love concept has gone from two people falling in true love with each other to a more concrete "Everybody has a soulmate somewhere" thing, which, I think the first concept is sort of less restricting?
I think this represents such a radical concession to fans that Swan Queen has never been more possible....at the same time when is the last time you saw a little girl dressed up as Mulan for Halloween? She's not in Disney's clique of top selling princess commodities (based on sporadic park attendance and trips through the toy aisle at Target I would say those are Ariel, Belle, Snow White, Cinderella, Tiana), so I'm guessing that was a factor to whoever is their Disney liaison giving them the greenlight on that.
Flag
I think concepts such as True Love and soulmates are pretty restrictive and I don’t like them, makes the series so much simplistic. However, this is a fairytale show and these concepts are primordial for Disney’s stories but I have the feeling and hope that A&E will make a twist on this aspect.
On the other hand, I think Swan Queen’s relationship is growing organically. They went through dislike each other and challenged to still struggle with one and other but in a pacific way, they accomplished an understanding, relatedness and found a common ground. And, if this is not enough, they know that they are linked to each other and that they have to work together. So, in this season, I expect somehow that they become something like friends. We can glimpse some respect and care between them in the last three episodes. I hope that this slow evolution will be the beginning of the culmination of something more. And that is why I don’t care about Robin Hood, he is only a mean for Regina’s development, nothing more.
So, yeah, I choose hope…
Pd: You have a really good point about Mulan.
More +
Flag
Couldn't agree with you more Lilly, and omg the surrogate audience concept with the remote was JUST GENIUS, I'm at work right now and everyone looked at me funny when I cracked up and snorted so thanks for that lol, I do have Hope that they're going SOME WHERE with this season vs last season so everyone clap and believe! "I do believe in coherent plot lines, I DO believe in coherent plot lines!"
Flag
My opinion on Robin and Regina is : It looks forced Its like lets give her someone oh Remember that guy with the pregnant woman back in S2 well that shit was doomed anyway lets kill her off and just give him and his Henry clone to Regina so people can stop bitching about Regina and her happy ending. Tada problem solved :D #Nope
Flag
Staff
Okay, okay, I grant you: it seems rather forced that the show would take our hand, point at a guy and go "THATS REGINA'S SOULMATE THATS HER HAPPY ENDING ALSO HE HAS A SON" like pfft, please.
Also Regina already chose not to go to that true love...and Daniel was her true love before that so clearly you don't get just one.
However as a show that's all about abandoning children I cannot believe they would be trying to get Regina to swap out Roland for Henry- her love for Henry is sort of crucial to the story?
Then again this is OUAT and they have hurt me many, many times.
However I don't think Aurora & Mulan mean there can be no other LGBT couples. I certainly hope not, maybe I'm naïve, but I think they set a precedent- and especially as they don't appear to be ending up together, maybe Mulan can impart the wisdom to another lady to come clean about her feelings before its too late.
I'm watching with hope, not anger, as I said in the review. I'm leaving open the possibility this show is reaching out to its fans in meaningful ways (the last couple episodes particularly show a real dedication to pleasing the fandom)
More +
Flag
The lovely Tumblr SQ fandom has already created a whole story of how Hood will be tragically killed and SQ is really endgame since Emma has a Lyon flower tattoo and Hood has the Lion but they are both from Charmings family crest. I am choosing to believe them. :D
Flag
'Holding the pimp hand down?' I think I may have found my fav ever line in a tv.com review. (and I don't say this lightly)
Flag
Plus how hard is it to look badass while standing inside of a tulip?! So funny & awesome. I totally want my bedroom to be a giant tulip now.
Flag
Staff
Thank you very much :)
Flag
I hope not. I want the Nevengers to save Henry without the Merrie Men. Mainly cause that would mean them going to Neverland or the Lost Boys ending up in the Enchanted Forest... Except I feel like the Shadow could come back for Roland after what happened.
Most definitely. Especially as he wanted to get back to Emma and Henry when he'd known Henry for a short amount of time and hadn't seen Emma in 11/12 years. He risked Robin Hood's son for a family that he doesn't actually have.
Nay. Tink's comment at the end annoyed me, Regina ruining both her and Robin's lives by not going into him when after that he met Marian and had Roland. Plus I'm a Swan Queen shipper obviously. :)
I hope to God that they continue with the storyline because it'd be amazing however I don't know if they will. I think they believe they've given us what we want by the ambiguity of Mulan's almost confession. Even though it was most definitely Aurora. :P They might think it's enough and drop it all. Fingers crossed they're brave enough to actually go with it.
Not sure. I mean I think that it won't happen too soon, like it'll come so close to him dying and then in the end something/one will cure him. Maybe even Pan. Or if Regina can do it cause then you know, maybe him and Snow'd stop hating on her.
Turn on. Definitely.
More+
Flag
"Nevengers" lol I love it, stealing that! :)
Flag
"There he is! Wiping his mouth with a duck!"
Genuine spit-take on that one!
Flag
Staff
thank you :)
Flag
- I hope so
- Yes
- mmerrrghum I want more interactions between the two before I yay or nay. But the show will likely at least briefly yay.
- Leave it at that, probably.
- Tink will get her magic back or steal from Blue again or somat. So the power of belief will save him. Wow that would be lame...
- Tatoos? Yeah... off.

Thanks for the review :)
Flag
Best episode in a long, long time... Seriously, this season is much better than the last, although that takes barely any effort.

Mulan gay? Hmmmm. Fine with me, but Aurora is lame, get a better love interest.

I laughed out loud at the plea for a season 4, haha. You're right, I can't believe we all stuck around for this season. We all have stamina. It is better now.

Neal, yuck. He's a bad parent to any child. Remember when he was all up in Emma's case for not wanting him around Henry even though he totally ditched out on her and showed no maturity at all?!? I mean come on, he 'chose fear over love' or some such stupid thing. Don't like him. Hook all the way (he wears eyeliner for goodness sake)!!!

And as usual, Regina is the best. No question.

Can't stand Snow or Charming.

And I would totally hang with the Lost Boys. I'm just waiting for the cool 80s soundtrack, and for them to go to sleep with their bat toes hanging from a branch. Am I the only one who watched that movie and makes the connection?

Good ep, I'm ready for the next one. And while the Alice spin off makes no sense, it's pretty to put on in the background of other things.
More+
Flag
I like the Blue Fairy!
Flag
I like the Blue Fairy's boobs.
Flag
Staff
they get a LOT of screentime
Flag
1. Is this season going to turn into a Lost Boys vs. Merrie Men situation

I sincerly hope so. Little John looked awesome.

2. Was Neal reckless with another man’s child?

Yeah, he was. I'm surprised Robin allowed his son to be used as demon's bait. I think someone should call FTL child protective services.

3. Regina and Robin Hood: yay or nay?

Nay! The new actor who plays Robin is terrible. The one who played him in season 2 was so much better!

4. Mulan and Aurora: Will the show follow this storyline? Will they keep it ambiguous or maybe even just leave it at that scene?

I hope to their story will continue. Fingers crossed! Go Team Mulora!!!

5. How will they cure David?

Can't they just kill him? OUAT would be so much better without him.

6. Tattoos: turn on or turn off?

Girls with tattooos - yay!! Guys with tattoos - nay!!

Thanks for a review, Lily!! I hope you had a great time at the wedding :)
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members