We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC

Once Upon a Time S03E20: "Kansas"

Guys, I don’t even know where to begin. This bunch takes one step forward, then executes 17 cartwheels backwards. The Charmings believed their own hype so hard that they got another baby snatched. Emma lost her magic because it didn’t occur to her to simply magic the water out of the kiddie pool in Zelena’s front yard. Rumple distracted Belle with a proposal so he could pocket his dagger and then Zelena’s ghost? Soul? Pendant dust? And in keeping with Once Upon a Time's grand tradition of Big Bads Who Refuse to Die the Episode Before the Finale, Zelena went zipping into the center of her Witch Compass to mess up the past. Rude. 

"Kansas" began with Rumple feverishly spinning hay into gold as the Charmings rushed to get Snow into the birthin’ stirrups. Charming delivered a super-helpful pep talk during Snow's contractions about how she should just relax and have that baby because he was right there. HAHAHAHAHA Charming remember that time you tried to keep Regina out of the back of a pawn shop and woke up in front of a locked door? Charming remember the time you challenged YOURSELF in a ghillie suit to a duel and somehow you both lost? HAHAHAHA.

Not that Emma was any better, all like, “I’m the only one who can stop Zelena, so I’ll leave this incredibly vulnerable baby, who I know she is going to try to snatch, and go hike around her backyard.” And Charming was like, “Hey, be sure and bring the guy with the cursed lips who Zelena is using as a tool against you, just to be safe.”

No, Emma. As the one person who can actually protect Snow, you should be standing right outside her door until Zelena shows up, like you know she will. “Bringing the fight to Zelena” makes no sense, Snow’s uterus has already been proclaimed the battlefield, so guard it with your life. You wanna stay kissing-close to that uterus, babe! Dear OUAT writers, I know it's convenient to make Emma slower than a bag of blonde hair extensions dipped in molasses, but it sort of undermines her heroism. However, I did like how Emma and Regina were effortlessly co-parenting Henry in this scene like an ideal family unit, after Emma got so furious with Hook for presuming to kidnap Henry and then being like, “Don’t I even get a thank you?”

Of course, as Emma and Hook bickered their way through the woods about Emma's imminent return to her extremely nice apartment in New York, they inevitably ran into Zelena, who was like, “I DEMAND YOU KISS HOOK!” and Emma was like, “LOL what? No hetero, thanks.” So Zelena was forced to put Emma into a situation where she'd either have to give Hook CPR and lose her powers, or let him die and not have to deal with a pining pirate anymore.

Firstly: Emma has got to be powerful enough by now that she could've just magically frozen the water or evaporated the water or just turned the water into circus peanuts, but once again she had to be conveniently stupid for the scene to work. Secondly: CPR counts as a kiss? I guess EMS workers are just a passel of hoes! Nooo, I am not maligning the good men and women upon whom my life may one day depend, I’m making the point that CPR is not, not, not a kiss, bros. Your mouths touch, but it’s intent that makes a kiss a kiss, so, once again, rude. Emma elected not to let Hook die before her very eyes by pressing her mouth to his and blowing oxygen into his esophagus while applying pressure on his diaphragm. Romantic, n’est pas?!! The sexiest part was when Hook coughed up the pool water. 

Hook was like, “What have you doooone” because obviously Emma's magic was sort of what literally everyone in town was counting on to stop Zelena. Whoops! And then he made a quiet vow to himself that just because his leather clothes had been completely submerged in icy cold water, that did not mean he would change them. NOT FOR ALL THE STARS IN HEAVEN WOULD HE CHANGE HIS LEATHER PIRATE FORMALWEAR.

Meanwhile in the Wonderful Land of Backstory, we learned that Glenda had approached Zelena about joining her super-exclusive bridge club of powerful witches with their cleavage a-poppin’. My Lord, didn’t they all look like hardened '90s child-pageant moms? 

Like, moments before Zelena showed up they were having an extremely heated fight about whether it was appropriate to have the girls dance to “MMMbop” by Hanson for the opening number of the Little Miss Oz Supreme Toddler to Tween Pageant? I mean, their hair! Zelena was all, “What, me join you? What, oh wow friends like what? Okay!” and Glenda was like, “On Wednesdays, we wear pink. And here is your official Witch Sister necklace: it will make you more powerful but if you ever lose it all your power is gone instantly, forever.” 

I personally would not agree to attach life-or-death consequences to wearing a horrible statement pendant for all eternity, but OUAT needed a simple, dramatic, and visual way to disarm Zelena, so that’s why that happened. Let’s keep it real! It made things easier for the writers, bam. That’s the only damn reason, babies! I am ADDICTED to the truth tonight, watch out. 

So back in Storybrooke, with Rumple helping to clean up the giant rune Zelena had carved in her garage, Zelena placed Regina’s heart and Gold’s brain and the Prince’s courage in big salad bowls and then sniffed the air, like, “A very strong placenta has discharged... SIMBA!” and made for the hospital to collect Snow's baby, the magical True Love Baby so pure it was born without an umbilical cord. BTW, guys,whose baby was that? I mean actually, what set of stage parents were like “Please, use our five-month-old infant. Smear it with vaseline and fake blood and then have your actors toss it around like a watermelon, we've got like three more. Per diem rate of $75? Awesome. We were going to let you use the kid for free but cool.”

Zelena snatching up that baby was embarrassingly easy. Like, pathetic. I laughed out loud when Robin Hood was like “Steady men... steady...” and then they all were like:

And then Belle came out dressed up like a sexy school girl and was like, “The buck stops here, buster!” And then she was like:

And then Regina was like, “I got your candy bitch!” but she was like:

And then Charming could barely reach for his sword when this happened:

LOL LOL LOL. 

And then Zelena snatched the baby right out of Snow’s arms and Snow’s face was like “My... life... ” But really, Charmings, the first time this happens—the first time you lose your baby due to an evil enchantress’s magical means—it's shame, shame, shame on whoever has parted you from your child, fair enough. BUT THE SECOND TIME you lose a baby to a meddlesome sorceress? Well, shame on you, Charmings. Shaaaaame on you. Ginnifer Goodwin did lovely work in this scene; I felt terrible for her, even if I was laughing pretty hard.

Emma turned up moments after the baby had been nabbed to reveal she was no longer going to be of any help. Regina was LIVID, as she should have been.

Then the show ground to a halt for Henry to give an extremely condescending speech to his own mother about how he knew she had good in her, and she was a hero now and he believed she could be a hero. Bitch, do you believe that because she saved your ass from Peter Pan, twice? Or maybe because she saved the whole town by attempting to sacrifice herself to stop the magic failsafe diamond? While it was super redundant for OUAT to point out that Regina is now a good guy, (a.k.a. her interests have aligned with the Charmings') still, it was nice to see Henry make that endorsement, even though, to quote Radiohead, it was No Alarms and No Surprises that she had to save everybody, again.

Meanwhile, in Oz, Dorothy Gail appeared via Cyclone and Glenda and the other witches started hanging out with the approximately 14-year-old girl, and Zelena immediately felt threatened. So she staged an elaborate ruse to make it appear as if Dorothy had killed her with a bucket of water...

...so that she could send Dorothy back to Earth and also send Glinda to Fairy-Tale Land. Zelena is very defensive guys, she’s sensitive, she’s a little insecure. This may have something to do with how her father called her Satan’s Spawn and the Face of Pure Evil all her life, and self-fulfilling prophesies have so much to do with zzzzzzzz. I don’t think anyone needs me to decode this trope. The writers had some points to make about CHOOSING not to be wicked. I’d argue that immorality is rarely that clean-cut of a decision, rather it’s a million tiny rationalizations, but whatever.

So anyway, Regina showed up at Zelena’s Rune Barn just as she had all four symbols in their salad bowls leaking powerful magic color to open a portal to the past. 

The final showdown involved everyone being completely useless as Rumple apologetically dispensed one-liners and smackdowns. I get that he’s supposedly throwing people into hay bales against his will, but does he have to be so sassy about it?

Then Regina showed up, and OUAT, because it has been relying so heavily on Lana Parrilla for these last three seasons was like, “Hey, we know she can do powerful emotional acting standing upright. But can she sell one of our incredibly ridiculous lines while pretending to be in a chokehold, suspended from wires?” I mean, the ordeals they put this woman through. All you thespian hopefuls in acting classes where they make you do animal body movements and perform voice and breath work: Shows like this are why. They will write the craziest shit they can, just to see if you can do it, and if you pull it off they will only up the ante. So Regina gave the “hero speech” apparently three feet off the ground while pretending to be squeezed by an invisible Darth Vader grip.

So everything seemed to be solved: Regina was now officially a good guy and had ingratiated herself enough with the inlaws for her and Emma to plan their wedding drama-free, and the Charmings had their baby back for the first time, which was adorable. 

Emma didn’t have her power back, and that was worrisome but I figured the first time Regina so much as swiped her arm, logically it should come return (since Regina’s came back when Emma touched her).

Then Belle showed up at Rumple’s Pawn Shop, because God forbid he go find her ever. Did Rumple rush to Belle’s side when he was finally free from Zelena’s control, after seeing her risk her life multiple times to free him? Nope! He went straight back to his store to, I don’t know, price up the hookahs or something. Belle arrived looking desperately sexy in a black bra and white blouse, and he was like “Seriously why are you still into me?! I don’t understand. How did you get in here? I thought you gave me back that spare key. Did you make copies?” and Belle was like “See this dagger? Regina gave it to me but I’m giving it to yoooou even though I know you are literally made of darkness, like I saw the tar that formed you in the woods that day with the crazy candelabra, but still: I trust you to do the right thing from now on.” And Rumple was like, “This dagger represents perfect trust. I ask that you keep it along with my heart and marry me!!!” And she was like “Of COURSE [face smush face smush].” I know you Rumbellers out there have been through a lot, you deserved this moment, I’m sure it was richly enjoyed, and it was plenty cute, and if you like watching actors smash their faces then this was right up your alley.

Unfortunately, we would all question all the legitimacy of this moment just minutes later. After Regina gave a jailed Zelena a “scared straight” speech about how she deserved a second chance and she could turn things around etc. etc., Rumple came in and revealed he had performed sleight of hand to get the real dagger from Belle. Dude: She OFFERED you the real dagger, so you could have just kept it? Also, you proposed to her while holding a fake dagger, so that kind of makes your whole proposal super shady. Then Rumple straight-up stabbed Zelena with the dagger, she turned into a ceramic figurine, the dust went to her pendant, and then the curse in the Rune Barn happened anyway?

I’m confused about the ending as I trust many of you are, but the episode promo for next week's two-hour finale is more than enough to keep me on board. I’m guessing some element of the time-travel curse worked, but without removing Regina. So we’re going to see how everything would have been if Emma had grown up in Fairy-Tale Land? Suddenly I’m not even mad about how ridiculous this episode was. IT WAS RUDE-DICKULOUS.

QUESTIONS:

... Was Rumple super rude to Belle by betraying her trust DURING a proposal? Are you sort of furious the writers undermined that moment?

... How do you think Emma will get her magic back?

... What should the Charmings name their bb boy?

... Did Emma act quite stupidly this episode? Was she dressed appropriately for a magical/non-magical showdown?

... How do you think Zelena’s death changed the time-travel curse?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/24/2016

Season 5 : Episode 19

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 8PM

Season 5 : Episode 20

652 Comments
Comments (652)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The iron man comment cracked me up so bad! Awesome review!

Personally, i agree that just about every character on this show has been undermined by the writers. The good guys are made to be naively stupid, and anyone with a dark past who are the most interesting are always super emotionally blind to their persoal pitfalls.

regina for all her evil past truly can't seem to escape the evil guy prejudice displayed by everyone. She is the most powerful, reliable and intelligent character who has repeatedly saved the day for all the "good guys". And they're the ones giving her speeches about how she has good in her? I don't think they're trying to convince her she can use light magic, they're trying to convinve themselves. I find it condescending.

the writers really have been rude to emma. I get she used to have trust issues but this episode she sounded like a whiny brat. I had it sooooo much better in new york. I don't want to stay here in story brook. Let me be not only whiny but stupid as i leave the hospital to go fight zelena when everyone knows right now i'm the only person wielding light magic and could help protect mary margaret and the baby.

but the most infuriating part to all of this is the undermining of rumplestiltskin. What a brilliant actor. And season one was so emotionally gripping and captivating with the dark one and his past. How could they take this beautifully devious, intelligent, heart breaking and intense man and make him into nothing but a lying thug? He lies to everyone he loves and now basically resorts to something more like a punch or stab and ask questions later type of fellow. Rumple wasn't just a dark one, in the earlier seasons he was meticulous. He was crafty. Clever as well as cruel.

belle always did disappoint me even tho the romance between her and rumple always charmed and delighted me. How can she love him if she's always being so restrictive of him? Does she actually really like him at all? I think she deserves to be duped by rumple with his slight of hand proposal. You want a belle to be proud of, go read bed of thorns by fanfiction writer nym. That is a belle who truly loves rumplestiltskin, all of him, good and bad.

my theory on the time travel curse is that zelina is smarter than everyone thinks. Perhaps this particular spell required the death of the castor. Knowing that but also knowing that if you change the past how you want it to be you could be alive in the new time continuom, she literally threw all her eggs in one basket and baited everyone to kill her.

great post as always!
More+
Flag
I'm sure someone's mentioned this but... CPR is no longer taught to include mouth-to-mouth resuscitation; just chest compressions. Made Emma look super-dumb.
Flag
Great Scott y'all! I have my DeLorean washed and I'm getting my Mr Fusion ready! I've been pretty meh on a time travel premise, but the more I think about it, next year is 2015, so it's fitting; and since Zelina's séance last week provided the 1.21 gigawatts to the flux capacitor, and her green smoke is apparently providing the necessary 88mph, I am starting to look forward to all the Back to the Future references and puns I can use during season 4. I just don't want to see a young Prince Charming find Emma concussed in the Enchanted Forest and try to seduce her when she wakes up while calling her Victoria, Victoria Secret. Hopefully Emma and/or Hook has the presence of mind to pick up an Enchanted Forest sports almanac before they get sucked into the time warp vortex.

(If you don't get any of this post, rent, download, stream, or pirate Back to the Future I and II NOW)
Flag
I can't wait for the finale! I'm not sure what happened after Rumple stabbed Zelena...as in, is she really dead? We've seen her come back several times already. In any case, Emma and Hook in the past will be interesting. It is also disappointing that Rumple lied to Belle...she is so good and trusting. How many times can she be expected to forgive him? And I fear if she leaves him, he will completely go over to the dark side. He needs her far more than she needs him.
Just in general...I hope there are others out there who enjoy this series for what it is...pure fantasy. It is after all a show about fairy tales. It can be as 'ridiculous' as it wants and I will still love it.
Flag
Emma wanted to give up her powers. She even said "don't need them in New York"
Flag
Has Dorthy ever heard of a hairbrush, or a bra. She was looking kind of dumpy.
Flag
She was trapped inside a house that just crash-landed in Oz. I suppose she can be forgiven for having forgotten to bring her overnight bag. She didn't get the Bob Mackie treatment for some reason, even though the witches did. Seems unfair somehow.
Flag
Yeah, the witches have plenty of glam equipment. They could have sharied some.
Flag
p.s. I guess even the directors of this show aren't brave enough to drag Dorothy's wardrobe out of the depression era, even though everyone else in this show seems stuck in the 80's in so many ways.
Flag
the scene 'come back to me' is so awesome and made me cry...and I can't wait for the finale!! Emma & Hook's adventure in EF will be so amazing and Epic &33 and their dance omg....my dream comes true...also i'm so curious for snowing's baby name... and why did Rumple lie why...poor Belle, she always believe in him...he should always listen to her... aww yess i'll see Roland again in next ep and Regina will meet him again.... cuteness overload... i hope Henry could meet Roland too but seems unlikely...
Flag
I haven't figured out what yet, but there is something special about Hook (and it's not his cursed lips or guy liner). In season 2, he asked Cora if she was going to kill him and then he said "try," implying she couldn't. He wasn't taken in Regina's initial curse, it was also implied in season 2 that he wasn't in Neverland at that time. He did go back to FTL in the mid season finale, but he was the only one who retained his memories from Zelina's memory wiping spell. He is the only fairy tale land character that's able to cross the Storybrooke town line without repercussions. I have to believe all that means something. The writers can't be writing an entire character as a plot hole, can they?
Flag
There were a lot of people not taken in the original curse. Which they have never really explained. And he retained his memory in the real world because he didn't get taken in the curse. Because he wasn't part of the original curse when Regina undid it, technically it shouldn't have affected him at all, except it did return him to his land (that is a plot hole). Which meant that he was still free to portal jump. The others couldn't change lands, because of the curse reversal, but like I said it shouldn't have affected him. So the reason he can do all those things is because he wasn't part of the original curse, just like Emma. That being said, I do feel like Hook is special.Even though the things he can do aren't plot holes, he is still the only one, besides Emma who is in storybrook who has never been cursed. I feel like that should be significant, but who knows.
Flag
I respect what you're saying, and am not arguing, just pointing out:
"There were a lot of people not taken in the original curse. Which they have never really explained." &-- big ol plot hole
Flag
I still want to know the answer to that one.
Flag
I was glad Rumple exacted revenge on Zelena. He is The Dark One, after all, doing what he does best. And she did cruelly torture him. I hope sooner or later Belle gets the memo, however.
Emma seemed very casual/apathetic about losing her MAGICAL POWERS. I dunno, I know NYC has it's charms but, it seems like finding out your parents are fairy tale characters and live in a magical land is better. She is kind of getting on my last nerve. Although I would completely miss indoor plumbing, Ibuprofen, and Starbuck's/Dunkin.
Flag
The cleverest way I can think of Emma getting her powers back would be by accepting who and what she is and realizing no one can take away anything you are born with, only give you the belief that they are more "powerful" if you by it then yeah your susceptible.

On Rumple....very rude, but Belle keeps going back. I know about wanting to see the good and hope for the change...not gonna happen sorry Belle.

At least Hook in the final 2hrs will get a change of clothes.....

What say they take the crew to Narnia? Face the White Witch/Queen?
Flag
I was just thinking in the finale we see Midas again, he is not fairy tail he is Greek (love Percy Jackson) so what if they start incorporating other mythologies?
Flag
I would like to take a moment to point out that what Emma did was not how I was taught CPR. Usually there are compressions. And breathing. I wouldn't quite call it a kiss, but neither would I request Emma as my lifesaver/doctor.

Second, I feel like there was a bit of distrust from Snow what Charming walked in with their baby. Which given Charming's track record, I don't blame her. I would have been surprised if he succeeded too. But I also couldn't help feeling like that man was walking into that room with a baby no matter what. If he had to get Emma to drive to Boston and steal another baby from the maternity ward he would have done it. No way was he admitting to Snow that he lost ANOTHER kid. Also, I'm fairly sure he's going to be a flying monkey soon. So that will be fun.

I do feel gipped. Beauty and the Beast has always been my favourite. I love Belle. No matter what happens to her character or how much like a cartoon character she sounds, I love her. And the two of them were amazing in the beginning. Now I can't help but feel he's not committed. So when he finally stopped running away and made a big romantic gesture, the fact that it was undermined within seconds ruined it!

Zelena cursed Emma via Hook, so true love will undo it the same way. With a kiss ;)

I kinda want to go with James, even though he was evil.

As you say, staying with the target would have been more useful. Also, not taking the only person who can get rid of her magic would also have been a good idea. So yeh, not big on the strategic moves there. And while I would never dare question the epic awesomeness that is Regina's wardrobe, I can't say any of them have ever been particularly dressed practically for a fight (except Regina's leather numbers, those were perfect for magic fights).

Maybe that's the loop hole? You can't travel in time while you're alive (timelines and all) but you can once you're dead but if you're dead you're dead so it's a perfect loop. But because she died without dyeing she can travel in time?

Last thought (I know this is long) when your one night stand is delivering your baby, and he just happens to be Frankenstein. And when the 13 yo kid is introduced to his hours old Uncle, and it's not the weirdest part of your family tree.
More+
Flag
AM I THE ONLY ONE FREAKING OUT THAT IT'S ALREADY WEDNESDAY?!
Flag
Did anyone else think the opening sequence was WAY overscored? I kept thinking "Okay, any minute now the music will quiet down and I'll be able to hear some speech." Though I did like the parallel between Rumple's spinning wheel and the wheel of Snow's weelchair.
Flag
Rumple was not responsible for Cora or Zelena turning to the dark side. If you remember Cora abandoned Zelena as a baby so that she, Cora, would have her best chance at marrying into royalty. This was long before she met Rumple, and then she betrayed him as well, not mention she broke his heart.
As for Zelena, she came to Rumple to be taught how to use her powers, but she was the one who became so jealous of Regina that she was willing to murder her in cold blood. No that was all Zelena.
Rumple did certainly have a large part in molding Regina into becoming the evil queen, but Cora had a larger part. Also Rumple did not force Regina to make the decisions that she made.
Flag
I still believe that Rumple used the weaknesses of each and exploited them to his advantage. That's what the show has been telling me all along. Of course it's open to interpretation but that's how it felt to me.
Flag
Staff
Certainly Cora is responsible for taking away Regina's first try at a happy ending, but certainly Rumple seduced Regina with ideas of power and the concept that harnessing her negative emotions was the best way to access that power.He's not the Dark One for nothing!
Flag
If you were raised by a psycho witch mom who never thought you were quite perfect enough, it might not take too much persuading to listen to someone who thought you were good at something...Of course, seeing it's a suave older man who's teaching you behind Mom's back, it's almost a foregone conclusion that you'd be listening!
Flag
1) not too upset about it, considering his vengeful (yet lovable xD) character. if it was his only way of coming to terms with Neal's death, then so be it (r.i.p. Nealfire, we hardly knew yee. they should not have killed off such a good-hearted character to leave Emma with such a womanizer) FANSERVICE cough cough.
2) Regina will kiss her. (we can dream, right?) but no probably Henry will get it back somehow or, more likely, Hook will be her savior and yay twoo wuvv!! (yuck)
3) they'll probably name the baby after one of the writers (Adam or eddy) or something .-. I s2g if they name him Leopold UGHH. hahahah
4) Emma always acts stupid because she's convinced that because she's the "savior" (though she doesn't do much of anything helpful at all) she is invincible. Honestly I'd be fine if the writers just killed her off.
5) the pendant must've had a fail-safe built in that activates the curse somehow much like Regina had with her trigger. pretty sloppy writing in my opinion, but eh.
Flag
I can't wait for your long and really snarky review for the 2-hour season finale. your reviews have me cracking up every time and they are SO accurate xD Let's hope for a swanqueen finale and no cs. :)
Flag
I personally ship neither, Emma and Regina because I see no chemistry or reason for them to be together, Emma and Hook because I find them disgusting. So I guess if I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick Emma and Regina, but personally I'd rather see Emma with someone more suited for her. I mean, I think she had more chemistry with the flying monkey than with either Hook or Regina. (I'm not saying I ship her with the monkey, just to clarify)
Flag
You just made me want to see Henry's half flying monkey, half human sibling.
Flag
"How do you think Zelena’s death changed the time-travel curse?"

I think I might like the explanation that the baby had already played its part, and her death was always meant to be the final ingredient.
Flag
Yeah I tend to agree that was part of the plan. It's lame, but this show has it's fair share of lameness, so I will begrudgingly accept it
Flag
I think the baby will be named Walt after Walt Disney. I can see him growing up and making movies about the people he grew up with.
Flag
Walt as in Walter White. Blue Meth comes to destroy Storybrooke!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Or Mickey the guy that inspired Walt.
Flag
If Robin Hood can't sod off to make way for Swan Queen then I'd at least be happy if Hook changed his outfit. A nice shirt and a pair of jeans would make me happy. Is that really too much to ask? (Yes)
Flag
If they do a legit Swan Queen, it'll be a series finale thing. God forbid they have a show revolve around a functional family unit comprised of 2 females in a committed relationship with a son at 8pm on Sunday nights for more than one or two episodes on network TV... I'm not gay so it wouldn't be something making all my fantasies come true, I'm rooting for it to happen because I feel that TV could seriously use a non-oversexed committed openly gay couple as the main stars. Like if they could just let it happen and not have it be a point of emphasis every episode, like most shows that revolve around a gay front man/woman. Modern Family doesn't revolve around Cam and Mitchell, but I will argue they are the most successful gay couple ever on network television because their relationship isn't a sticking point every week.

That, and Lilly's reviews are darn convincing that there's something there. I didn't see it before reading her reviews. Once I discovered this blog, it's about all I see in this show, were it not for the fact I have to be up at 6am on Monday morning, I'd totally make a drinking game out of SwanQueen nuances lol.
More +
Flag
i was so happy when rumple proposed to belle..and then...meh...why rumple????why???
Flag
... Was Rumple super rude to Belle by betraying her trust DURING a proposal? Are you sort of furious the writers undermined that moment?

I thought we re over Rumple being super rude since s01e01?

Regina will give Emma her powers. she is on the good side now. Might as well give up everything for the Charmings, right?

Emmo

... Did Emma act quite stupidly this episode? Was she dressed appropriately for a magical/non-magical showdown?

Is she not? Why do good guys have to be stupid? Heels please with 8 inches.

... How do you think Zelena’s death changed the time-travel curse?

Does it have to be Zelena. It could be Jafar.
Flag
ohhh.. praises to lily. Iron man, burritos, nope nope nope and waiting in the car is so hilarious i have to tranquilize my self to stop laughing.
Flag
Rumple proposing while lying about the dagger was Rude!
Flag
Staff
agreed!
Flag
“LOL what? No hetero, thanks.” bwahahahahahahhahahahhahahah I lost it for a minute on that one. scrolling down to Iron Man on the caption was also priceless. You were on point with the truth in this it's almost a shame the right people likely won't be reading this cough writers. I also 100% agree that Lana Parrilla keeps this show a float. I imagine that here at the end of season 3 Regina is pretty far from where the writers wanted Regina's character to be when they were writing the 1st season. Lana made Regina too likable to be a sustainable perennial villain in the series. Don't hate it at all.

It was more than rude, it was borderline emotional abuse. Like I think that Belle keeps coming back to Rumple is some sort of battered woman mentality or even Stockholm Syndrome more than it is love. Yes, the writers could have made that a bigger moment and I am kind of hoping we get to see the conniving Rumple that made Regina who she was in full force next season. He would make for a fun villain (minus the leprechaun routine).

I tend to agree with you. One touch by Regina and she'll be right back in the game. So you know, tonight when they get home and go to bed she should be good to go. If Snow and Charming was "I will find you. I will always find you." Emma and Regina are "I will save you. I will always save you."

Rufus, after George Carlin's character in the Bill & Ted films as a nod to time traveling. (But that would be too awesome so I'm not banking on that)

Emma's IQ has dropped significantly since the initial dark curse was broken and she learned she is a Charming. This week's episode was physically painful to watch her bumble through the episode. I literally facepalmed on my couch when she CPR'd Hook back to life. Do they not have 911 in Storybrooke? Maybe start with chest compressions first to force the water out instead of trying to force oxygen into water filled lungs? …anyway...

On the other hand, she does seem rather burnt out the last 2 episodes. Not that I can blame her, if I went through everything the writers have put her through I'd be ready to let whatever happens happen, leave that madness behind me, and go to New York too. Maybe it's not that she's suddenly more stupid, maybe it's that she's stressed and is like f*ck it, I didn't ask for any of this sh*t to begin with, I don't care anymore.

I'm kind of hoping it creates an alternate dimension instead of true time travel.

More+
Flag
Your "stress" explanation rings pretty true- it was really only a couple weeks ago that she was all set to marry Walsh! (who I still think was supposed to keep Emma well away from Sorybrooke, because Zelena knows something Emma doesn't about Emma's power wattage...)
Flag
I also think that it would be kind of fun to see Emma get stressed, angry at the situation she feels she can't get out of, and become a villain. She's like the quintessential hero of the show, which is why it would be unexpected, which is why it would be awesome, which is why they won't do it. But they've said it on this show multiple times that evil isn't born, it's made. I would personally love to watch that rabbit hole (no reference to the Wonderland series, just the figure of speech) unfold. Throw some Shrek-like onion layers onto this show.
Flag
I'm just saying that if my kid, who I gave up for adoption, found me, that'd probably be more than plenty on a stress scale of 1 - 10. Then to have to fight with his adopted mom, deal with my kid flat lining at the hospital, finding out that I really was a fairy tale character's kid, being expected to save every fairy tale character I've ever read about, kill a dragon, be tossed into the middle of a fairy tale world, battle an ogre, deal with a giant, learn I have magic, battle Cora, then my ex and baby daddy comes back into my life, my kid gets kidnapped, I go to Neverland, have to battle Peter Pan, my boyfriend/maybe fiancé is a friggin flying monkey, get pined over by Captain Hook when ain't nobody got time for that, deal with that bitch Zelina, and watch my baby brother be born knowing he'll grow up better than I ever did, I'd be beyond over it too and begging to get away from all of the crazy. Being an orphan and bouncing around from foster home to foster home wasn't so bad after all. Put my arse back in prison in Phoenix for all I care, Phoenix is FAR from Maine. Tell Henry I'll write.

I agree that Emma meeting Walsh in New York during that year wasn't an accident.
More +
Flag
Y'know, your plot synopsis makes me think the "false" year and the flying monkey fiance may have been the closest to "happy" and "normal" Emma's ever gotten! No wonder she's fantasizing about going back to New York!
Flag
And that's just what I could think of off the top of my head. I'm 90% sure I'm still missing some big moments even though I have like 20 things listed there.
Flag
I have no idea what happened at the end there but boy, is it good to have Rumple back. I truly was not buying that 'no vengeance' crap they were selling. He deserved to have that stabbity moment at the end.
Flag
Also, Emma was annoyingly stupid this episode. I'm sorry, Hook - your time has passed. It's got to the stage where (through no fault of the actor at all) his presence in any scene drags it down.

And that is not how you do CPR, Emma.

Flag
I think that Zelena's necklace had a failsafe or something, so if she got kill the power on it will enact the time travel spell or part of it i guess.
But anyway this episode was great, specially when Snow and Charming get their baby boy back and Henry and Emma join them it was a cute scene.
I can't wait to see what happens next!!! It will be epic!!!!!
Flag
Well, thank the heavens the writers had the sense not to have Regina entrust Robin Hood with the dagger and the pendant. Knowing him he would trip or some shit and it gracefully falls into Zelena's jail cell. *whoops* kinda like that time with your heart. My bad, Regina.
Flag
this is full of win
Flag
Is Zelena really dead ?? i actually liked her ... i might be alone on this thought!! i hope she comes back somehow
Flag
I think she's playing dead like she did in Oz with Dorothy
Flag
I am not trying to excuse what Rumple did, but how do you think Regina or Emma would have reacted if Zelena had killed Henry , and then imprisoned them for almost a year, forcing them to do things that they didn't want to, feeding them slop, and generally humiliating them? Rumple's desire to kill her was justified.
That being said, I still think that it is possible that that was not Rumple, but someone disguised as him.
Flag
His actions regarding killing her may be a little justified. But they way he did it, first lying to Belle, proposing to her in between the lies and then repeat his actions to Zelena was very disrespectful to Belle.
Flag
I think it was very much Rumple.
And he might have wanted to avenge his son but let's not forget that Zelena became who she was mostly because of him. Rumple manipulates people into giving him what he wants. He turned Cora into a monster. He turned Regina into a monster. He turned Zelena into a monster. He is responsible for Cora's death and Zelena's. The only reason Regina is alive is because there were people around her who cared enough to save her.

I love Rumple but he is bad to the bone. His redemption in Neverland/3x11 gave me hope that he'd try to be better, but in murdering a defenseless Zelena he proved that he could never let go of his darkness because he's too far gone. Poor Belle.
Flag
I think Zelena hijacked his brain (remember the spell?) with a post-hypnotic suggestion to help her stage her own death- just like in OZ!
Flag
Im sorry but Zelena turned into what she was because of her... She was given a second chance with the other three witches and the first chance she has she turns evil again... No one's fault but hers I'll tell you that. Cora was greedy and a goldigger since she was born if it was anyone's fault it was her fathers and Regina turned out that way because of her mother... Rumple just gave them a little push and he didnt force anyone to do anything.. He offered deals.. Its up to them if they take them or leave them. In conclusion(but I still make some good points): I love Rumple and I hate hate HATE Zelena and her face I hope she's dead thankyou.
Flag
Rumple is a manipulator. He used the vulnerabilities of these women to his advantage. Regardless of whether you love him or not, he is the bad guy. Sure they've had choices too (Regina, not so much) but Rumple's role has played an important part in their becoming "evil" or "wicked".
Flag
To add to that - not to bring in real life examples, but people underestimate the amount of power manipulators have. If you can convince completely innocent people into admitting a murder they did not do in less than 3 days - that's how easily a skilled interrogator can make someone doubt their own reality and sanity - consider how much time Rumple had with Regina and Zelena.

Also note that Regina was never 'free' then 'caged'; she was born into the arms of Cora the control freak. In other words, she was - deliberately - conditioned to be a victim from birth. How the heck could she have resisted Rumple's manipulations when she's been trained NOT to resist just like good ol' mum taught her?

Not saying she doesn't bear some responsibility, but in real life, it's actually really easy to talk someone into doing something they WOULD NOT DO as long as you know their triggers and leverage points. And for Regina and Zelena both (Regina more than Zelena, Zelena just has rage issues blinding her like crazy), well, they're AWFULLY easy targets. Rumple recognized that, and got them to do exactly what he wanted them to do.

He didn't just wave a choice at Regina, and he wouldn't have shrugged and walked away if she chose not to cast the curse. He WANTED his son back, and he'd have kept manipulating circumstances around her until she felt she had no choice but to do it, no matter what.

Unfortunately for poor old Rumple, he got his 'immediate' or 'main' desires, but didn't think about how it would bite him further down the road.

For me, I'm seeing a message of Rumple's manipulations and actions coming back to bite him - not because he failed, or didn't pull them off right, but because he SUCCEEDED in his evil actions.

Eg, he molded Regina, Regina acts exactly like the woman he shaped her to be and imprisons the love of his life for 28 years (though she could have killed her, or continually tortured her, or all sorts of things actually, not that convincing a woman she's insane is a walk in the park...). The curse - which cost a semi-innocent man his life - is cast to get Neal back, and those events eventually snowball and culminate in Neal dying (not directly, but still). He molded Zelena, Zelena comes back and well, imprisons him, sort of sexually assaults him, and kills his son.

Sort of like a 'be careful what you wish for' or 'isn't this what you WANTED?' caveat.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'M seeing a pattern. Despite the fact it SEEMS like Rumple's a Karma Houdini in the show, he's actually not in a sense...

Though the son of the woman he manipulated and victimized calling him 'grandpa' makes it really, really hard to acknowledge that some days...
More +
Flag
As the man said, he has his professional ethics to follow. Never break a deal. It's important that your local dark one stick to his deals. Rumple. Crowley. A brand you can trust.
Flag
No one is arguing the justification of his actions, just the WAY he went about them.
Flag
First time positing, absolutely have loved the recaps by Sparks, thank you for the laughs.

There is much I could say on all topics, but my biggest peeve and observation is can the writers please move past the wah wah that the main heroine (Emma) is drowning in victimhood. So she was abandoned, repeat cycle to her own son, learn she is powerfully loved and needed, wah you left me i want nothing to do with you.....but my son needs to forgive me...uhhh double standard much? Ummm I'm a good mom (I know what’s best) so the best example i can give my son is to be stupidly selfish and think only that i don't want to be saviour, i don't want to be happy, I’m not going to be responsible for anyone (give my powers away instead of using them (i.e. the cpr))...hmmmm

Show arc and ending.....denial, rebel, tragedy, remorse, forgive, accept, embrace, happy ending..... surely the writers can come up with something a bit more unique this arc is in everything, raise the IQ by example children are a lot smarter than we give them credit for, if they actually have to, i don't know, ask their parents the meaning that obviously is so unthinkable…that an adult might have to put some thought into what they just saw...yep that would truly ruin the entertainment world.

Again love the recaps, I enjoy the show but only when I can skip around cause really hook what do you see in such a selfish cry-baby?

Keep the recaps coming Sparks they're almost better than the episodes themselves.
More+
Flag
1) No, its just Rumple
2) Maybe it will be a CURSE! A good one, idk, something like that
3) Emilio!
4) Wait, I have to rewatch this Epiosde....
5) Idk! Is it working? I hope so:)
Flag
OF COURSE. That was awful!

I don't know. Maybe she already got it back, when Rumple stabbed Zelena?

I really don't know or care.

Yes, very stupid.

I hope not!
Flag
"... What should the Charmings name their bb boy?"

Reading the comments it appears that the baby is some significant character.

Bit of a long shot but it could be Yoda - now that Star Wars is part of Disney...
Flag
I'm guessing you were probably saying in jest, but the thing is there are multiple people assuming the baby is a new Disney character, which makes little sense as the people on the show already mentioned they saw the movies and such.
So those should already exist.

It's more likely that the baby is either named after an existing on screen character - like Neal or August (in honor of the fallen) or possibly Walsh (i.e wizard of oz who'll then time travel or something) or it could be named for some emotional moment based on a character, for example if they call the baby "Reggie" in honor of Regina in order to show her she is part of the family now.
Flag
Uhh.. August is still alive. Remember the episode last season when the blue fairy shrunk him into a little boy? My bet is on Neal though.
Flag
August is gone. Pinochio is here to stay... There's a difference.

Though I just tossed it as an example, Neal is far more likely though I'm starting to think indeed Reggie is quite likely to officially seal Regina as part of the family.
Flag
or Anakin Skywalker! Am sure the writers could rework the "midichlorian" theory into their writing... because MAGIC.
Flag

Was Rumple super rude to Belle by betraying her trust DURING a proposal? Are you sort of furious the writers undermined that moment?

Maybe...but who cares, we got dark Rumple back, YAY!
Honestly, I love Belle, but I rather Rumple stay his dark manipulative self because he is way cooler like this. I think Regina’s transformation was getting to our heads and making us believe that Rumple is now ‘a hero’ too, but if you think about it he would probably regress after the abuse he’s been through and the death of his son. If that’s really what the writers were shooting for, the touché, though I highly doubt it.
Point is, evil Rumple is cool, seriously I fell in love with him when he was manipulating people left and right, I’m not going to defect now!

What if she doesn’t? And they let Regina be the good witch around…that would be perfect!
Knowing OUAT, it would probably be something cheesy like true love kiss or someone (probably Henry) believing in her!

Josef/ Joe …I kind of chose a name that would fit in both worlds…don’t judge, it’s not easy!

Way tooooooooo stupid, kind of runs in the family (I’m thinking when her mother gave the dagger to Cora back in S2) but yeah why did she even go to Zelena’s house?
And don’t get me started on the high heels! I’m glad someone else noticed because Emma, Regina, Belle and Zelena were all wearing high heels to a witch fight…makes zero sense to me! Maybe Zelena because she was just swatting people away like flies but the others? Nope

Here is the thing, was Zelena just traveling in time to kill Eva or was she changing the past without going there herself, I think it’s the later in which case we might have a slightly altered Universe but not 100% what Zelena wanted, but I’m not sure the writers can make this interesting enough, we shall see. If Zelena was traveling to the past then I think the characters will travel to the past and have a totally boring half season trying to get back!

More+
Flag
**I’m going to have to blame the ending of this episode on the fact that Rumpel’s brain was removed.

Well if you look at particle physics, magical rules in fairy tale land and OUAT Canon, and you throw them out the window… Who freaking knows? I still don’t know how Rumpel killed Peter Pan the way he did a half season ago. It’s kind of like the pimple on my butt, its better if I just don’t think about it. If I pick at it and try to imagine what’s going on down there, it’ll just make matters worse.

How do you think Emma will get her magic back?...
See previous answer.

Was Rumple super rude to Belle by betraying her trust DURING a proposal? Are you sort of furious the writers undermined that moment?

I’m trying to imagine in my mind right now, Rumpel walking into the shop in Storybrooke, that specializes in selling fake daggers. What does he tell the guy that made it? It’s for my girlfriend she has always totes wanted one of these. Yeah, write “Rumpelstiltskin” on it… Where the heck did he get that thing and why didn’t he try using it on Hook and Cora?...

I think the baby will be named David. The writers seem to like to recycle this name. Even better if his name is David James Nolan. Then we don’t have to come up with anything new.

I think it would be funny if instead of Storybrooke Maine she goes thru TV Land to Law and Order New York where someone gets murdered once a week for being in a porn with their high school students to pay for a stolen baby all while accidently sleeping with their half-brother who they think has cancer but is really being poisoned and all of it is based on a true story. That’s way better than worrying a pirate’s kiss will take away your magic powers…

**Does Regina not have adoption papers?

More+
Flag
But if Emma is now showed as like she grew up in the Enchanted Forest,shouldn't her parents and Regina and Hook and everyone be...you know...OLD?!?!ò____O There's something wrong here,mates,I'm tellin' ya!
Flag
It's not that she grew up in the EF, it's that she traveled to the past.
Flag
Read this on Wiki : "everyone in Storybrooke joins Mary Margaret and David as they prepare to coronate their newborn son, while the time traveling portal that Zelena created before her demise comes to life, and takes Emma and Hook back to the Enchanted Forest before the events of the original curse. Emma and Hook must find a way to return to Storybrooke. But in their quest to return, they have to find a way not to interfere or tamper the events that lead up to the first curse, or else they risk altering the entire timeline and could end up changing the future existence of everyone involved"
The usual OUAT shenanigans with time travel thrown in- can't wait to read Lily's review for next week.
Flag
I read this in my Doc Brown voice:
"But in their quest to return, they have to find a way not to interfere or tamper the events that lead up to the first curse, or else they risk altering the entire timeline and could end up changing the future existence of everyone involved"

Great Scott Marty!!! Hopefully Biff will also be lurking around the Enchanted Forest. Everyone get your flux capacitors ready and set to 1.21 gigawatts
Flag
Flag
Staff
daaang you're right
Flag
Oh snap!
Flag
OMG WTF????????????
They stop the curse and then killing her, reignites it.. WTF???????????

Lots of action, lots of tears, more powers taken and then miraculously appear in Regina.. For the love of God, Writers, if you are going to keep up the Hook/Emma flirtation going - bloody get Hook and Emma together already. It is contrived and getting old.
I am concerned it is going to come to true love's kiss all over again to break this going back in time curse - which makes no sense at all, as Zelena is "dead" - but as we all know, somehow Zelena will be alive. SIGH!
I hope the finale actually closes off a few dead ends and we find that some of the "Monkeys" will be back to who they are meant to be.
Flag
Emmo anyone?
Flag
Bitch, I am, IRON MAN! I laughed so hard.. that was my thought exactly. My bf sat next to me during the barn-scene and he was like 'wth is this ridiculousness??' I just laughed and said, that's what's so awesome about it.
Flag
Its funny, I heard the Brady bunch singing "When its time to change..."
Flag
Love your review, Lily! The episode was maddening, but somehow I am still watching..

One thing I really am annoyed with is how they upended the whole Dark One mythology. When he killed Peter Pan and himself, the Dark One curse should have died with him, because in order to become the Dark One, the person has to kill the current Dark One and take his place. Killing himself with the dagger-- there was no one to take his place so the curse should have died. That was the whole reason the original Dark One was so eager to get Rumple to kill him. He just wanted out of the job.
Flag
My guess is that the curse does not die, it just transfers. Therefore, when he was brought back, he was brought back as the dark one. Furthermore, he was brought back at the dark one's vault where the powers of the original dark one originated. Therefore, it makes sense that he would still have his powers instead of being powerless. I mean how can someone come back powerless when they are brought back at a place referred to as The Dark One's Vault?
Flag
I'm sure that's how they are justifying it. It just seems very contrived to me. I guess the original dark one was like "Tag! You're it, sucker!"
Flag
In before plot twist, "its pan in rumple's body".

Here we go again....
Flag
p.s. That must really feel futile for Rumple. Stabbing one's self to get out of a job and then being stuck with it anyway. Maybe he should have tried a little harder-- impaled himself on it. Had a traveling circus throw daggers at him? There's definitely black comedy potential here.
Flag
Isn't it kinda weird that the baby is Henry's uncle? and wonder if he will have some special abilities.
Flag
I don't think it's that strange. I know several couples that had kid(s) early in life then had kid(s) later in life while their older children were beginning families. In this age of older parents and adoption, it's not unheard of, that's for sure.
Flag
Ya it's not unheard of is true but i know of none lol
Flag
Flag
The Iron Man thing was just PERFECT! Up until that moment, Regina was the only character that didn't resort to absolute idiocy or stupid do-goodiness. But in one scene not only do the writers string her up like venision like, for the fiftieth time in the series, but made her look stupid. But I'm glad she did the fight. I like how sophisticated she is.

Emma has forever been the most annoying character after Belle, Ella and Aurora. With her "Taking the fight to" this and that, and her I HEART NOT STORYBROOKE and her I'M DOING IT FOR HENRY but I'll give up the only thing that will protect him because a pirate got water-logged and my brain can't think up anything else. I think with the diversity in this season, writers are losing their touch.

But one thing is true, Regina without a bit of darkness, sassiness, her sarcasm and with sappiness isn't Regina at all.

But this review made me snort like five times, thanks to it's perfectness. This ep really was too fast-paced and confusing, not to mention Emma's complete ineptitude. I'm like, just blast either one or the other away, COME ON!!! If she's not strong enough to save someone from the damned water, why does she think she can defeat Zelena?

Rum-belle was just stupid. Belle is always stupid. They're just desecrating my most beloved fairytale. Beauty was waaaaaaaaaay smarter than this idiot. Trusting the "Dark One". GURL, THERE'S A REASON HE'S CALLED THAT.

One word that made this review an all star: "Gooey".
More+
Flag
Oh forgot to add something: Robin and Co. is bringing the arrows and "Oh, this is where we fall over" to the table. These guys can give Superman a run for his money. Then can use that money to pay for treating the concussions.
Flag
"OMG you guys, time travel is like, the most impossible magic! It has never been done and it never will be done because it's IMPOSSIBLE!"

WRONG.

Anyone else remember the time Regina straight up SHOVED HER FIST INTO THE PAST to retrieve the apple she used to poison-curse Snow?!?! (Hint: it was basically the plot instrument of the season 1 finale)

...nbd I guess.
Flag
Staff
YES!!! I had an interview with Adam and Eddie shortly after that episode where I asked them if time travel would come into play again and they were like "No way jose too messy" HAHAHAHAHAHA oh man. they work very hard.
Flag
I wish they would come up with some magic that cured the writers' dementia. That happens a lot in this show.
Flag
It was Jefferson that shoved his fist into the past but, yeah, I get your drift.
Flag
And it was made a huge deal that that's all that its possible to do. With this - hell the whole spin off itself also is made pointless.
Flag
I thought the big deal was that she only had JUST enough magic to reach through the hat portal (not the impossibility of time travel)? Either way, there's about 700 other things that has made this show pointless. Nevertheless, we'll all be tuning in to the 2 hour season finale! And the inevitable 4th season... At least the introduction of the Knave as the new male lead will give us some eye candy to sooth the pain...
Flag
Nope. Time travel is supposed to be impossible. So Regina had to cheat the rules.
The rules established are:
  1. You can't change the past
  2. You can't revive the dead
  3. You can't make someone love you.
Its a big no-no that defies the order of universe and I damn sure hope there's SOME SORT of fallout from it happening, otherwise I'll be pissed.

Flag
2. You can't revive the dead

In season 2 Cora had that horde of zombies come back to life and go after Snow, Emma, Mulan, and Aurora.

Also if Back to the Future taught me anything, it's that you theoretically can change the past, but it alters EVERYTHING in the future.
Flag
Yeah, what's the "price" of opening a massive yellow
Possibly-impossible-time-hole? Inquiring minds...

Who knows? Maybe it'll turn out like Prisoner of Azkaban, and they'll make us watch the whole show over again, except this time (like Hermione, Harry, and Ron) Emma will have been there the whole time, making stuff happen... I am not thrilled about time-travel in this universe, there are VERY few shows/movies that have managed to pull it off in a way that wasn't entirely ridiculous (and those instances set it up from the beginning. I'm 1000% positive OUAT is making it up as it goes along)
Flag
Thank you for the Iron Man joke! I was thinking the same thing when I saw that scene!
The "Dumb Charmings" baby Gooey joke was hilarious as well. And I LOL at the Robin Hood blowing up the tol
iet narration.
Flag
While most of my grievences with this episode have already been covered in the previous comments, I can not stress enough how frustrating Emma has been since she returned to Stroybrooke and mostly, her talk of taking Henry back to NYC. I get it, your life there was wonderful, but it was fake. And now that Henry has his memory back, I think it's time she and Regina talked about the elephant in the room. Henry is Regina's son. She raised him from a mewling infant for 11 years and she has just as much, if not more, say in where he should live. Yes, when his memory was gone, NYC was best for him. But now it's all different, and Emma can NOT make those decisions on her onesies! What happened to 'our son'?
Flag
I agree. She's really over the top in love with her fake life in NYC. But really it's all about that lovely rent-controlled apartment in NYC. That's the true fairy tale in this story!
Flag
1. Hey Glinda, how about you tell people your jewelry will strip them of all their power if they ever take it off before you put it on them.

2. One reason I see SQ as the better option: all their other love interests are stupid and USELESS. (Though Emma has been creeping into that category lately...)

3. I'm really gonna need Rumple to stop killing women while they are begging for their life/forgiveness. Especially if they want us to take his "romantic" moments with Belle about "second chances" and "seeing the good in people" seriously.
Flag
1. Hey Glinda, how about you tell people your jewelry will strip them of all their power if they ever take it off before you put it on them.

Yes! I was majorly outraged on Zelena's behalf. Jeez, Glinda.

I didn't mind Rumple killing a defenseless Zelena, though. Morally, it was obviously a very bad thing to do. But I don't think Rumple is a good guy and he's far more interesting this way. I'm glad they didn't compromise and have him kill her in self-defence or some other contrived circumstance. It was vengeance and it was murder and says a lot about where is character is at the moment.

Flag
The Iron Man joke, was easily my favourite this review. I literally spit tea at my monitor.
I also threw up in my mouth a little when Robin Hood made eyes at Regina and said "I've got your heart" during the showdown. Although I did notice that right before Regina blasted Zelena with white magic, she looked towards Emma, and they cut to Emma standing up and looking towards Regina.

I do not get their relationship AT ALL. If Rumple ever showed any signs of changing and becoming a better man that deserved a good woman like Belle then maybe some of his transgressions could be forgiven but this, this was a whole new level even for him.

*sighs* I know it's too much to hope for a Regina/Emma makeout sesh on camera but a girl can dream.

Knowing them it'll be something incredible stupid. Their names are Snow and Charming respectively. It's a miracle Emma managed to get a name that's a name and not a random noun or personality trait. I guess it could be worse, FTL could use the same naming system as the Discworld (If you haven't read those books you should).

Yes and well, it wasn't the ridiculous of the midseason premiere's costumes but still perhaps not quite right.

It either resets to the time Zelena set while trying to activate it in the first place, or it reset to the time of her birth. Either way there's some changes to the timeline coming.
More+
Flag
yeah, Emma looked pretty turned on by the fact that Regina was about to defeat the wicked witch. i noticed that too
Flag
Hilarious.

1. I agree with the others; Rumpelstiltskin is a douchebag. Deep down he's bad because deep down that's what he really prefers and how he really sees himself. We learned this in the Neverland arc, but it was apparent from Season One. It was the theme of this episode: you are what and who you think you are. Rumpelstiltskin believes he's a monster, and he may very well be. Plus, it's Robert Carlyle, and though he's got a great range, he sure does like his villains an awful lot. Even he said that he couldn't see Rumple settling down and getting married, and neither can I. Not until he's someone other than Rumpelstiltskin. What is frustrating is that his betrayal of Belle makes her seem like such a hopeless innocent. And she's my favorite character, apart from Regina! She's supposed to be intelligent and independent. I think Emilie de Ravin plays her that way whenever possible. But, man, I hope Belle doesn't take this lying down (or anything else lying down) anymore. She needs to break with him or this show will have a very dangerous lesson about relationships. (rant over)

2. LOL. At this point, I think Emma should not get her magic back! She's pretty terrible at magic when she even remembers to use it. It is also not convenient to the plot (most of the time) for Emma to be good at magic, so let's just let her major in something she is good at: sassy comments, firing handguns, and stubbornly refusing to believe in things.

3. Rumor has it the name is significant. I'm pulling for Simba myself, but I can see the name going one of two ways: either they'll name it after someone they loved who died tragically and who they want to honor, or they'll give it a name that is significant to us since it will be the name of another storybook character. That's just my guess.

4. Clearly, Emma has no regard for the Way Things Are Done when it comes to magical showdowns. She was not wearing enough black, her hair did not have enough body, and she did not have the appropriately colored leather gloves. Again, all this points to Emma needing to switch majors soon! Maybe someone can get her a letter to Hogwarts. Dumbledore might have a chance with her. Maybe.... Was she acting stupidly in this episode? I better not answer that. My opinion of Emma's brains has not been good since Season Two (it is better than my opinion of the writer's brains, however).

5. Here's what I think: Zelena's essence was somehow released after her death and gathered with her power which was trapped in the horrendously ugly pendant. Together they sought out her spell (which seemed based on the magic of the four cardinal sisters -- the baby represented Zelena, ironically, as innocence -- intelligence (East), courage and love [North -- Glinda-- and South]). The spell was activated and anyone near the cyclone of its magic will probably be thrown back in time (if not the entire town). Looks like that includes Emma. But without Zelena to carry out her plot to kill Eva, things ought to proceed the way they would have anyway. The fly in the ointment is Emma getting sucked in. I suspect what will happen in that case is that Emma will get to experience all of Season One, making messes in the time/space continuum along the way, until she finally has an appreciation for Storybrooke and decides (when she ultimately finds a way back) to stay there. That's just a guess. I'd also love to see Emma 3.0 as a version of herself who never was cursed, but that doesn't seem logical based on the previews and on Emma herself going back in time. But when has this show ever been logical? Let's do the Time Warp again, I say. Continuity be damned!
More+
Flag
The Charmings will name their son Arthur, who will become the legendary King Arthur of Camelot.?
Flag
Problem here, Excalibur already exists in this world (Charming gave Snow a fake one) and they already met and killed Lancelot.

So it's safe to bet there's already an Arthur.
Flag
It would be hilarious if they named him Mordred instead, but alas, it seems that the "Arthurian mythos" already happened considering we already had Lancelot, that is unless they(yet again) try to copy-paste Fables concepts and have the main characters replay that myth again as some sort of occurence that repeats itself.
Flag
You know, I've said it before that I was always irritated with LilySpark's blatant unapologetic shipping of Swan Queen, but... I dunno, logistically it kinda makes sense. I mean, they're both Henry's parents, and together they make a family unit. If they were together, Henry would have two parents living with him and all that...

Not that I'm jumping on board by any means! Just making an observation. ;P
Flag
Staff
My life has not been in vain.
Flag
Omg but after seeing the promo for next week what if after they put everything right in the past she's sent to Wonderland by accident. Wouldn't that explain the Knave being in next season.
Flag
Didn't they finish ending filming this before the spin off was canceled?
Regardless, I think it's more likely that the two will have nothing together.
Knave will return next season and most likely bring the next big bad with him (or try to warn them from him like Hook did this time).

Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members