An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25, 2016)

Usually for my annual Once Upon a Time season wrap-up, I get a little nitpicky, okay very nitpicky, but the Season 3 finale left me sour enough that, in lieu of a full debrief, I just want to remember the highlights! Like, there was a reason I watched this show every Sunday night that went beyond pure masochism, right? We had some good times in Season 3, some damn good times! So here’s a reel of the top moments, to end things on a huggier note.

7. The deaths of Greg and Tamara

Both of these actors were great, but their characters—who endorsed kidnapping, blowing up a town, and torturing people with electrodes—were super boring. I don’t know how OUAT made terrorists boring, but Greg and Tamara put me to sleep whenever they came onscreen. Their violent murders at the hands of a shadow and some children in the Season 3 premiere sent a strong signal that the show was not going to follow up on the tedious “Anti-Magic Terrorist” storyline, easily one of the best choices the show has ever made.

6. Pan’s scary shadow

This slippery little minx is Season 3's best example of OUAT taking some classic fairy-tale trope and turning it into something truly interesting. Pan’s shadow was a sinister child-snatcher voiced by Marilyn Manson (for one episode, at least; then he clammed up). Snaps for that, because he was very original and delightfully sinister. How fun was it when he killed the Blue Fairy? 

5. Hook saves Charming

Sometimes I think OUAT doesn’t know how to reframe/write strong male characters, and thus sends them into fits of swashbuckling or smarmy “lecherous scallawag” mode by default. Hook and Charming actually had a real emotional relationship on Neverland; they were vulnerable with each other, and it was pretty sweet. Both Josh Dallas and Colin O'Donoghue had fantastic chemistry and united the entire fandom in adoring them as a BrOTP.

4. Mom Power in Neverland 

SO MANY SWAN-MILLS FAMILY HUGS. I never thought I’d be nostalgic for a darkened soundstage littered with half-grown palm trees on casters, but Neverland was a place where Emma and Regina truly bonded and had each other’s backs. Emma regularly trusted Regina’s instincts over Snow’s, and guess what? They saved their son. In retrospect, the first half of the season was a golden age.

3. So many Flying Monkey jokes!

In Season 3, OUAT got a lot more self-aware about how ludicrous it is and gave almost everyone a lot of sassy lines. A lot of them had to do with razzing Emma for almost plighting her troth to a winged simian, which: NEVER FORGET.

2. Vicarious envy of Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas’s real-life future kid 

Someday, Baby Goodwin-Dallas is going to be able to watch his or her parents essentially meet and fall in love as Prince Charming and Snow White on OUAT, and know that he/she was (kind of) born onscreen. That’s pretty rad!

1. The comments on my OUAT reviews

For some reason, with this season in particular I feel like I got to meet and hear from so many cool people via these episodic write-ups. You guys have made me laugh, made me think, and made me super proud of what I do, work that doesn’t fit easily into a “job description” box. The fans are definitely the biggest highlight of this season for me. Peace out, dudes!

QUESTIONS:

... What was your favorite moment of the season?

... Have a great summer! KIT in 2015!

92 Comments
Comments (92)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
nothing about Neal Hook knew Pan he even talk with him he never was in danger. Neal was the most heroic character. He even sacrifice his childhood for the Darlings and worst his life for everybody in storybrooke not only for a woman.
Flag
ill have to admit - i was immediately wary of the Frozen tie-in reveal. and now feel like OUAT has officially crossed into the same territory as Glee where I am always wistfully thinking of the truly magical and terrific first season. I continue to watch both and they still can churn out some great moments but... just can't match back up to the overall quality of their initial seasons.
Flag
actually with Glee it is not even the entirety of the first season but the initial string of episodes up to the first mid-season break (when the original group won for the first time and Mr Shue first kiss Emma)
Flag
I'm I the only one who thought the reveal that Pan is Rumple's dad was the most powerful twist in the season, in fact 'think lovely thoughts' in general was a great episode that I think is unmatched!
And Regina with Baby Henry? most adorable thing in the world
Also 3A finale had some powerful moments ...basically the season went downhill in the second half, if you are like me and don't care about shipping, you'll find it hard to see any highlights in 3B
Flag
Not sure if people are checking in anymore, but on a lighter note, any ideas what kind of job Hook can get next season?
- Tax collector (close to piracy)?
- Whale Watch tour guide? Wait, no tourists . . .
- Deputy to Sheriff Charming (more bromance opps)?
Flag
He could be the "manny" for Prince Neal! But he's gonna have trouble changing diapers...
Flag
Waiter at the diner. Could you imagine? :D
Flag
My favorite moment...that's difficult. There were so many outstanding moments. The echo cave sequence; all of it. Especially Killian's courage and sincerity. Rumple sacrificing himself to save his loved ones. Regina and Snow trying to let go of their past and finding common ground. Charming and Killian's interactions on Neverland are definitely up there. Killian's struggle to get back to his old life after returning to the Enchanted Forrest but being unable to because he now knew what a life of purpose felt like loving Emma. His quiet determination in helping her embrace every aspect of who she is and fighting for her heart honorably...
I think the moment we saw Emma stop running; finding her way home (calling her parents mom and dad) and realizing that her home is incomplete without Killian was one of the most precious moments for me. Hearing Emma sincerely thank Killian and acknowledge that he's a hero was something I desperately needed to hear; maybe almost as much as he did. Emma and Killian's story arcs for season 3 ("Believe that a lost girl can find her way home" and "Believe that a pirate can be a hero") were brought full circle in the most satisfying and rewarding way. Bless Adam and Eddy.
And it led to the most tender, gentle and intimate kiss - expressive of all the love and trust in the world - that has ever graced my screen.
More+
Flag
The most tender, gentle and intimate kiss staring into each other eyes happened between Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones (Seriously, not even Cersei could spoil it)

But Emma and Hook was clearly the hottest kiss I've seen since Sheriff Graham and the most intimate I've seen her since August. Shame the Huntsman and Pinocchio can't stay on the show...they would beat the Marion & Robin debacle for sure.
Flag
I loved getting to see Regina back in action during the trip to the past in the finale. And to see her be happy with Robin Hood was like seeing another person and actually made her more beautiful! But in that moment where she realized her power could be used for good and then kicked the Wicked Witch's backside was my favorite! I was let down by how they "ended" her role, it was a cop out in the end of something so large! They could have used that as a recurring threat to be feared of returning
Flag
I think Zelena's still out there...
Flag
Lily, I was surprised your highlights:

1/ Focused so heavily on the Neverland portion of the season
2/ Didn't include Neal's death (not the scene itself, because it was pretty terrible, but the fact that we wouldn't be seeing more of him except via flashbacks). :p

However, I was really glad when Greg and Tamara were out of the picture, too. Worst. Villains. Ever.

For me, the highlights were (in no particular order):

Regina breaking the curse
The funny and/or sassy one-liners (especially the ones that came from Regina).
Hook wearing other clothes (even though those moments were brief and only in flashbacks or Fairytale land) :p
Emma interacting with Rumple in Fairytale Land
Regina and Snow talking about the past / Regina trying to protect Snow
Your reviews (They are always entertaining and keep me watching the show!)
Flag
Neverland had a point, I'll give it that much.

It had a beginning, a middle and end and it was all about Peter Pan's midlife crisis as single Dad.
Flag
favorite moments --& Outlaw queen!!! robin and regina were amazing with their intellectual moments!!!i really hope there will be sth more spicy in 4th season and somwhow marion get out of our sight!!!!! outlaw queen rules!!!! Finally a happily ever after gift for regina!!! everyone else has it!
Flag
It can't be any easier on Robin Hood than it is on Regina: if he still has feelings for her, he can't act on them; if she's his actual soulmate, he can't be happy with his wife; if he's unhappy, he can't get a divorce. He has no say in Regina's life, he can't help her, back her up, or be informed if harm comes her way.

He cursed not to know whether she's safe or not. And there's nothing he can do about it.

Flag
I predict that Maid Marian will split with Robin: "You've changed. We can't have again what we used to have." It's the only no fault way for Robin to go back to Regina. Maybe Regina has an anti-love potion she can agonize about?
Flag
Robin has changed. He's a self sufficient single father now, a widower that had already moved on long before he got emotionally involved with Regina.

Marian may be his wife, but he's not married to her anymore; they are a couple, but there's no intimacy between them; he's happy for her because she's alive, but he's isn't happy for him because she's back.
Flag
My favorite moments (can't just choose one) were: the Evil Queen revealing to Ariel she had taken her voice (3.06), even though there is a flub in the line Regina says; Regina putting Henry to bed on the ship and calling him her "little prince" (3.09); Mary Margaret and Regina's talk about the deaths of their loved ones (3.18); the hospital attack and taking the baby (3.20); and the reveal of Marian at the diner (3.22). But my favorite scene of Once for the season is Alice's wedding to Cyrus in Wonderland's finale.

Least favorite moment: Neal's death. Oh my God that was so boring and annoying and laughable. Really bad writing and acting.
Flag
Oh and Regina, Emma and MM talking to Henry through the pocket mirror (3.05). So, yeah, basically all my favorite scenes involve Regina somehow. Odd.
Flag
Neverland? A golden age? Is that some sort of joke? Lol, sure, it was fun when it was happening, but now? Looking back? Nuh-uh. Peter Pan had some plan that failed and ultimately made no actual sense (culminating in Rumple's death... does anyone ACTUALLY know how Rumple even died? Lol, what even was that??), but Season 3 Part 2... wow. OUaT has truly redeemed itself these past 11 weeks. I am leaving this Zelena arc with no questions, no loose ends, I'm just excited to be going into Season 4! I don't know why the Season 3 finale left you sour... in my opinion, it's the greatest 80 minutes OUaT has produced in... ever. Like all of ever. OUaT's kind of awful. Like dreadful. Like, the main reason fans even seem to watch is to ship one couple or another. Like you and Swan Queen. Could the reason you've been so critical of Season 3 Part B be because it spent time developing Regina's relationships with Robin Hood and Mary Margaret, as opposed to with Emma? Granted, Neverland was pretty great if you're a Swan Queen shipper, but if you're a shipper with, like, sense, then Season 3b was, in the words of the long gone Penny Hartz, ah-mah-zing. Remember when Greg and Tamara were a thing? Lol they sucked. #TEAMNEAL.
More+
Flag
In my opinion it was very clear how rumple died. he stabbed himself with the dagger. I dont see whats not clear about that.
Flag
First of all, that's stupid. Rumple did not stab himself. Like... wot? Lol. I can't even like... WHAT? Um... you realize he could have just stabbed Pan in a different way? Like, from a different angle? Who would stab themselves like that to kill someone... WHAT? xD xD xD Just no. No.
Flag
The only way to kill Pan was for Rumple to kill himself as well.
And if this season left you with no question, you are easily satisfied. I wish I was as well.
Flag
The season didn't leave me with no questions. The second half didn't. Also, Rumple simply dying because he killed Pan makes no actual sense. It's silly and kinda lazy writing.
Flag
I am leaving this Zelena arc with no questions, no loose ends, I'm just excited to be going into Season 4!

Oh really? No questions?

Like why did the wizard want an item of Rumples? How did he know about Zelena's past and what did he want to change in the past? Assuming that was even his plan....

Flag
He wanted an item of Rumple's because he was a collector of magical items. Simple. He knew about Zelena's past because one of the many magical items he's collected over the years allowed him to view it. Simple. He never wanted to change that past; that's never stated nor implied.
Flag
Actually yes, it's both stated and implied. The wizard told her before she changed him into a monkey that he can help her get what she wants.
Flag
That doesn't mean that he wants to change something. He just said that so that she'd spare him, knowing that SHE wants to change the past. If he even KNEW if that's what it was she wanted at the time...
Flag
I agree with this stranger. To this day I still don't understand how and why Rumplestiltskin "died" and whether or not that pesky prophecy was actually fulfilled. I suppose it was cos it hasn't been brought up again, And if you stop to think about it, sure, in several ways, Henry did lead Rumple to Bae and he did end up being Rumple's undoing. But also... ugh. What the eff? What was all that about? Why did Rumple have to die in order to take out his father, Pan? That was so sorely explained. And don't get me started on his return... At least on that you were right about something, Lily, the Dark One's vault was a load of crap, if only it had been mentioned back in season 1 when the Dark One's mythos was explored it would have been a hell of a lot better. I am sick of these episodic MacGuffins and plot elements that are oh so convenient. Start mapping out your seasons better, writers, and start to actually spread hints and omens like you spread Mickey Mouses.

The Shadow, to me, was a huge mess. You pinpoint it as one of the highlights of the season, and I can't understand why. In 308's flashes, it could talk, but it never talked in the present. And if it was the sole inhabitant and ruler of Neverland to begin with, why did it agree to become Pan's lap dog and do his bidding? How was it all-powerful? How could it morph into Belle perfectly, and why did Belle's statements to Rumple in 302 contradict the ones in 304 and 306 so much? It was like first she was trying to encourage him, to get him to open up and be brave, then she wanted him to give up. Why... the hell... did the shadow take Mother Superior's shadow? Just, why? That accomplished nothing, it was so totally random. You say that was fun because you hate her. But, as far as story goes, why did it happen? Why did it need to happen? I understand that it was for convenience because then Tinker Bell could save her and become a fairy again. But why did Pan request that in the first place? Ugh.

The season finale was a truly redeeming point in the series for Emma as a hero and protagonist because she did eff all throughout season 3. Hook said she defeated Pan and the Wicked Witch... she didn't. Rumple and Regina (the villains) did, both times. Emma accomplished next to nothing, but in that amazing finale she managed to actually be the hero and the princess at once. It was a joy.

And I can hardly think of Greg and Tamara's deaths early on in the season as good because, as crappy as those characters were, well, they died crappy. They were never redeemed. Forget Tamara's motivations for doing what she did, and forget the magic taser. Sweep it all under the rug. Let's never speak of it again. I don't function that way, writers. We sat through episode 2.18, one of the most cringe-worthy hours of television ever, and we deserve payoff.

Now, the Wizard of Oz story, as J...98 says, was very good. Lots of loose ends were tied up, Rebecca Mader was a delight... My only complaint is that, yet again, the big new addition to the cast is related to the core family... Come on... Is Elsa Snow White's bastard child from her junior prom days? Is that where season 4 is headed?
More +
Flag
Elsa is Snow's bastard child from her junior prom days...I like how you think! Don't believe it entirely, but a better explanation than I've heard so far.
Flag
That was so sorely explained
That would imply there was an actual explanation. There never was.

The Shadow, to me, was a huge mess
I agree, but I just want to add that the shadow is in fact one of the worst plot holes of this show as it seems it can travel between realms regardless of the curse (it got teenager Neal looooong before Regina cast the curse) and even worse - Rumple actually knows how to use his own. So why didn't he just sent the shadow to get Neal back?

And I can hardly think of Greg and Tamara's deaths early on in the season as good because, as crappy as those characters were, well, they died crappy. They were never redeemed
Why do people think that characters need to be redeemed? They are both terrible heartless murderers and got what they deserved. I would find it laughable if they redeemed them.
(And no, I do not accept Regina or Rumple being redeemed either)

I'm not a fan of let's sweep it under the rug, but that entire plot arc was so horrible I'm willing to cut it some slack.

Flag
Apparently one can access Neverland via flight. They did this with the Jolly Roger *shrug*. Also, I think he means he would have liked to learn more about Greg and Tamara's motivations regarding the destruction of magic. I, for one, want to know what Tamara's beef was. We'll never know now, I suppose. Lol, what was with that magic taser? That sure disappeared fast.
Flag
Because then the whole show wouldn't have happened and you'd be very bored on Sunday nights.
Flag
My point was that beans were supposed to work anyway - that's why Rumple looked for them.

He wanted them but couldn't find any.

But the shadow thing *IS* something he could do.
He ripped his own shadow then called it out from Neverland.

So why didn't he just do that to get Neal in the first place?
Flag
I don't get what your ultimate point is, but Baelfire came to our world when he went through the magic bean portal, which is where Wendy was. THEN the shadow crossed over. Why can the shadow cross realms so easily? Fuck knows, it just can. I'm pretty sure it's not Pan's shadow, but rather the same creature from the 3x08 flashbacks, which would make it surely more powerful that any other regular Joe kinda shadow.
Flag
Pan's shadow went to take Neal when he was a boy with Wendy... That's what I'm talking about. That was after Rumple and Neal parted ways afterwhich the Blue Fairy sent Rumple on the path to make the curse, which was before Rumple and Cora had their thing and waaaaaaaaaay before Regina was even born.

There is no problem going to Neverland, it's our world that's the issue here. The slippers were never used to reach our world. Zelena said they might be, but she never tried it out.
Flag
That was only after the curse undoing in 3x11, not before the first curse. Magic beans were used on multiple occasions before the curse, such as the Jolly Roger going to Neverland and when Bae came to our world; Zelena was also able to use silver slippers, and Emma was able to go through the wardrobe.
Flag
The Jolly Roger made it to our world *after* the curse was in place. Regina said that before the curse is up, you can't get to our world (so no mermaids, portals etc)

That is why after Regina undid the curse they said they can't get through any means except doing the curse again.

Even Hook said that he could only use the magic beans to get to our world *after* he knew they cast the curse again.

But Pan's shadow made it long before Regina.
Flag
Again, so did the Jolly Roger. Twice.
Flag
I don't have a problem with getting into Neverland. I have a problem with the shadow getting into our world.
Flag
Yeah when I said redeemed I didn't mean their redemption as in becoming good people, I meant the characters being written better and getting a better send-off. But you make some good points Jason especially about the shadow.
Flag
Baby Gooey is going to be soooo proud when he's in 8th grade and every of his classmates is going to see THAT LAST PIC on the internet... X'D

Favorite moment? All the evil cleavage-recordings of course!

Thank you for all your awesome reviews to give us a reason to keep watching OUaT!! :)
Flag
Thanks for covering this muck. (More happy that finally this year you got another show, a great show worthy of your talents and style to comment upon.) I can echo the sentiments of many here, I watch this show because Lana Parilla is awesome and I will always have a soft spot for anything written/produced under Jane Espensen's guidance but its your humorous insights that keep me coming back. Its getting tougher and tougher but after three seasons I've warmed to Josh Dallas and am just praying they figure out how to give Ginny a GREAT storyline next season. They used to love Snow didn't they? Please give her Her brain back next year. Hoping and praying that some day Regina, Ems, and Henry can be a happy family under one roof. Then they can let Robert Smith and 'Krod Mandoon' find happiness together as well. Wait, you say Walt wouldn't go for that? Who cares what a dead Holocaust denier would have thought anyway?..... (sorry........no I'm not......).

Favorite moment of the season - Henry remembering who he was and immediately embracing Regina as 'Mom'. They both nailed that scene without drowning us in sap and it was perfect. Thanks to the writers for giving us that and remembering that Henry has 2 mothers that are just as important as the other despite what the brand (Disney) has been telling us about step-parents our entire lives. The look in Jared's face when he hugged 'Regina' was perfect with Emma looking on. The way they ended Regina's season though was bogus.

I'll be back because for some reason I can't quit this show nor its companion in 'feast or famine' Sunday viewing 'Revenge'. The weather changes must have made the time for famine longer for both.

At least we still have Mary and Catherine!

More+
Flag
It's sad to think my favorite part of the season ended up being Neverland. Oz had such potential and they seemed to let it go by the wayside somewhere in the middle of that arc. The mid-season finale was probably the best episode of the season. I didn't enjoy the 3B finale.

Favorite scenes were: Emma/Regina doing magic, both at the bridge and the eclipse scene. Swan-Mills hugs were good. Anytime Hook was hit or hit the floor was good. Awwww, the one scene with Emma, Charmings, and Regina where Emma and David were putting together the crib, that was suhweet. Hmmm, the scene with Regina/Emma trying to make a memory potion in the office was pretty cool.

My favorite wtf moment was probably MM admitting she wanted a replacement child when in the caves.

My most hated moments were every time Emma mentioned she was taking Henry back to NYC, especially since she was telling everyone except his other mother.

That's it. Not sure I will be back for Season 4. If the focus remains on Hook I will not be, but I am sure I will continue reading Lily's reviews, because she cracks me da hellz up. Have a good summer, everyone! :D

More+
Flag
Ummm "if the focus remaims on Hook"?! Since when has the focus even been on Hook?! 3A focused mostly on Pan, Rumple and Neal. 3B focused on the Wicked vs Evil story arc. The rest of tbe characters got a decent amount of development throughtout the season: Emma, David, Snow and Hook. So how is the show focused on him, because i'm pretty sure he's a main character like everyone else and deserves some screen time too.
Flag
What's kit in 2015
Flag
X2. Need to know as well.

Flag
Keep in touch!
Flag
My favorite character was Pan. Making him evil and Hook good was the kind of twist I miss from S1 when Snow was badass and Red was the Wolf.

And trying real hard not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but my favorite storyline had to be the relationship development between Hook and Emma, culminating in my favorite moment being the kiss in the finale. Fairytales do have their romance, and I saw S1 dedicated to Snow, S2 to Belle, and S3 to Emma. Hoping Regina gets her due in S4, and maybe even Red after that.

Have a rejuvenating summer!
Flag
Its hard to be badass when that preggers- but Snow needs to get her groove back! I'm hoping Zelena does show up again and Snow goes all psycho on her!
Flag
Honestly I would disagree with a lot of that list. Especially since I really hated the whole waste of time in Neverland but that's just me.

Things I'd put on the list:

1) Regina telling Pan she regrets nothing
The #1 thing I hate about this show is that they are trying to brush off Regina's monstrous past. Showing that she totally accepts everything she did because it give her Henry is basically saying "Yes, I was bad. But I don't give a damn. Now buzz off!"

2) Rumple killing Zelena instead of trying to redeem her
Pretty much the same reason. Rumple is evil and there's no point in trying to ignore it. While I may have mocked how they did it, at least they did it.

3) Regina protecting Snow from Cora's ghost
Another moment I totally mocked, especially about Cora's ghost being Rose McGowen instead of Barbara Hershey

But nonetheless, it had something the show seriously needed and that's Regina protecting Snow. While she obviously won't be able to make amends with everyone she hurt, Protecting Snow is a good place to start.

4) Neal's death
I'll admit that again, it made no sense what so ever, but let's talk about what this means. While it is true that every year this show kills a main character every season (Graham, August*, Neal) it's nothing new but Neal not only had an emotional death affecting Emma and Henry, but it also opens up a huge question - What is Rumple going to do now? His entire purpose in life is gone. Will he try and get him back and break the rules of magic like Jafar and Zelena? Or will he try a domesticated life and find happiness elsewhere?

* I know that technically he is still alive, but he is kid Pinocchio. August is dead.

5) Everyone remembers Henry exists and realize child relations isn't magical
I always hated how this show automatically assumes that every child loves his parents perfectly and loves spending every single minute of their life with them.
Henry decided that he loved Emma and wanted to spend time with her why exactly? Do they have anything in common? How about the Charmings? Or Or Neal?

Lily herself pointed out countless times that Neal and Henry basically just ate a pizza once in New York.

This season, we saw that Emma and Henry in New York were actually playing around together (shameless product placement for Diablo 3 but still...), Snow and Charming actually tried to make an effort and be more liked by Henry (terrible grandparents trying to teach him to drive recklessly), we even saw Hook charming him with adventure stories.

Even though some were better than others, at least they tried spending time with him and doing stuff he really likes.
Child raising isn't easy and doesn't happen magically just because you are blood relatives. It actually requires you to spend some time with your kid and taking an interest in their lives.

6) Killing Greg and Tamara
Yeah, Lily summed it up perfectly.

7) Coming here every week and reading the funniest reviews ever
I want to make something clear here, this isn't me just sucking up to Lily or something. I'm pointing this out because I really do think that this year Lily has reached an epicness in her reviews.

Beyond what I think should have won this year's oscar for best chop ever (there is such a thing right?)

(Seriously if you can look at that and not burst out in laughter you are dead inside)

I think that this year in particular, there is something with the way Lily went over each episode that went from "Okay, that was silly" to "okay this show is nothing but silliness so let's totally have fun with it"

And suddenly this actually became part of the fun of watching the show. Usually I got to other shows and rant about how annoying and stupid the continuity errors are or the morals make no sense what so ever and while doing so I go over stuff with other people in the community and skim through the review for stuff I might have missed out.

But when I watch this show I don't just think "wow, that's dumb" I'm thinking "wow, that's dumb - and I can't wait to see how Lily mocks it" and she NEVER disappoints!

I can't speak for other people, but for me personally, there is a much bigger anticipation to reading the recap than watching the actual show.

So all I can tell you Lily is that you should damn well be proud of what you do!
More+
Flag
Agree wholeheartedly with #1, 3, 4, 5, and especially 7.
I theorize that Zelena was revitalized by being stabbed with the Dagger (can't be hurt by Dark Magic, remember?) and may have planted a post-hypnotic suggestion or two in Rumple's brain while she had it. That's the only reason I can think of that there's a practically secret wedding- even if everyone hates Rumple at the moment, some of her besties would show up for Belle. Even if it was midnight in the woods...
Flag
I don't think anyone knows/knew about the wedding. No one mentioned it and they had it while everyone was celebrating the "coronation" of Baby Snowflake. My guess: they didn't invite anyone.

As for season 3, I preferred Neverland to Oz only because Pan was an interesting, super-creepy villain. Zelena? meh. Didn't care. If they want to "reset" the damned show every other episode, how about rescreening series 1 (especially the Espenson-penned episode) to learn a bit about writing an interesting story that advances rather than sacrifices character.
Flag
Either it's a secret shotgun wedding, so Granny can try slut-shaming Belle like she did Snow; or Rumple knows his mom-in-law wouldn't approve even if Dad's finally given a reluctant blessing. So- who's Belle's mom?

Pan was fun- I wish Robbie the best in his career because he was great! But Zelena's wardrobe was worth watching.
Flag
I totally agree with everything here, especially re the villians being true to themselves. I had long since given up on OUaT in season 2, but then I was intrigued by the Pan storyline (not that it amounted to much, except, like you said, Regina announcing she regrets nothing). Many many times I was very tempted to stop watching again, but I just had to keep going so I would fully get the jokes in Lily's reviews. That Zelena/Snow photoset belongs in an art gallery.
The second half of the season was less dificult to watch for me, although it still had zero logic. It's so refreshing to come here and see that fans were self aware of how ridiculous the show has become, but still lots of fun to watch. It's a testament to how entertaining I find Lily, really, that no matter how much I disagree with her on Swan Queen (which I see as nothing but a crack ship), I am never put off by her reviews.

Flag
I agree that Lily makes the experience of watching this show way more fun. I can't wait til she posts the ep reviews! I mainly commented on your post because I agree that meme was the funniest thing of probably the whole season, and yes, I laugh every time I see it! LOL
Flag
YOUR reviews. Along with Lana Parrilla, they're about the only thing that keeps me watching. Love ya Lily.
Flag
Totally agree. Though I suppose she can't put herself on the list cause she'll be blamed for being narcissistic.

Good thing we don't have that limitation and can say that for her :)
Lily you are the #1 highlight of this show.
Flag
taht's exactly how i feel!!! :)
Flag
For me it was THE KISS. Finally!
Flag
Regina had soo many good lines in Neverland. "What I wouldn't give for a sleeping curse". hahahahaha
Flag
I could name a number of my favorite moments but I'll go with the most inventive - Pan's creepy shadow and his super-creepy personality. I grew up singing "I Gotta Crow" and now this?!? Wow!

My other favorite thing was your column. The neighbors probably wondered about my sanity every Monday night as I laughed uncontrollably and loudly. (VERY loudly.) Have a great summer.
Flag
Hopping on the Lily bandwagon here- I got started with 3.2 late because of my work schedule, and I missed the reviews more than the episodes themselves! (Cause it's not as funny if you read the reviews first)

Have a great summer, Lily!

I'll be pining for your return, watching Galavant and reruns...
Flag
My favorite moments were all the Outlaw Queen ones, plus the deepening platonic bonds between Snow and Regina. On the other hand, I really felt like the WWoW storyline was rushed (though I hope that she returns next season). I also hated the finale with the fire of a supernova. For there were no twists and turns. At all. That one couldn't see coming from a mile away, e.g. as soon as Robin said "timing," you know the clock was ticking, as it was when Emma saw the girl to be executed (before she even made it into the prison), or even before that when you saw the story book and realized that it was going to rehash, yet again, Snowing's love story. I have watched this show from the beginning and I'm leaning to not watching it anymore. However, I might just to read your hilarious reviews, which I just recently stumbled upon!
Flag
I thought the finale was clever, I liked that Emma got to witness the events of her "history." Her reactions to Rumple and Regina were priceless. And finally the girl smiled! Your recaps probably brought me more joy than the actual episodes- definitely more laughter!
Pan seems so long ago...I didn't think making him a villain was so much of a stretch because I think I always saw him as a sinister little sprite with those evil eyebrows, stealing kids from windows of playrooms of Victorian London. The Wicked Witch had potential but her Storybrooke alter-ego kind of killed that for me, too much over-acting and flared nostril. I hope for a worthy adversary next season. I haven't seen Frozen, but it seems like this chick is more of a Disney Princess than a villain. My only impression is that I was amazed how un-dainty her walk was; I swear, she barreled out of that barn like a truck driver in a crushed velvet dress. Oh well, I don't judge. See ya next season.
Flag
Honestly? Hook & Emma's kiss and Robin Hood winning over the Queen for a change.

Its sad when a show about fairytale romance can't make more than that.
Flag
Flying Monkey FOREVER! Your reviews though (for me) were the best highlight because theyhonestly helped me get through this season.
Flag
I think that my favourite part about Season 3 was Peter Pan, I really love what they did with him, it was so different than the Disney version, probably the biggest deviation from the Disney movies that the show has done with a character. Plus, Robbie Kay was amazing, and needs to be in something else soon!

Aside from that the mid season finale was incredible and heartbreaking, really more season finale material. After that all of the dramatics and heartbreak there the Oz stuff was a let down, I wasn't really a fan of the second half of the season.
Flag
The way Mr. Gold killed the witch. He turned her into glass and had her shatter into a million pieces. This is why Gold is my favorite character on the show, he can so creepy and so awesome at the same time.
Flag
Love your recaps. Its the first thing I check for on Monday mornings. My favorite moments were Regina/Henry TLK and also Regina and Snow's milestone heart-to-no heart moment in Regina's haunted house.
Flag
My favorite moment was Regina breaking the curse and her fighting with light magic.... complete the circle of her character, Only to have it all crash down in the last few moments of the season final :(
Flag
That episode in Neverland when the characters decided that they could use some squid ink, so naturally they had no trouble obtaining it quickly. 'Cause all you need to do is bag a squid first, and why shouldn't that be easy? (When the plot demands it.)
Flag
Favorite moments:

I can barely remember 3A, which says a lot I think.
BUT:
I have to agree on the TLK with Regina and Henry.
The entire episode of "Witch Hunt."
The formation of "Charming-Mills" and the diner scene with the fries.
"Stick to the lasagna lady!"
FTL Regina's looks of distaste, as they are my looks in everyday life with everything I encounter.
Regina having Tink as a friend for like five seconds.
Roland's NEVER ENDING CUTENESS,
Some bits and pieces of Neverland: Peter Pan, Wendy (but oh dear God not her brothers) Emma/Regina bonding, Snow/Emma talking a teensy bit.
Actually liking Neal! He was so much more human and apologetic this season!
And mostly, all the ridiculous things/plot holes that were so ridiculously ridiculous that you just couldn't stop laughing and just had to shrug your shoulders and SIGH REALLY LOUDLY. I love those because they made me realize what kind of show I was watching and how I should stop investing so much emotion and thought into it and to just watch. KINDA LIKE GLEE!
Also, getting to see new sides of Jennifer Morrison's acting this season more so than before, as she was given a lot more to work with.
And I love Lana forever and always.
Lana and Jennifer are my cheddar biscuits.

And so are you, Lily!
Your reviews got me through the season, as well as my three hour 8am lecture, and helped me feel less crazy about my criticism/skepticism that a lot of people on tumblr/twitter are not willing to talk or read about because any form of questioning the writing is "BEING A HATER AND NOT A TRUE FAN AND DON'T WORRY REAL ONCERS LOVE YOU"

So thank you!
More+
Flag
Everything before the second half of this season was absolutely dreadful. Neverland should be purged from the show's history.
Flag
Is that photo from #1 real?
Flag
Favourite moment of the season? Golly, perhaps it was TLK between Regina and Henry, because it was about damn time.

Honourable mention has to go to the deliciously awesome threesome that was Snowing Queen. God, that was the best ever. It's a damn shame this show will probably forget about it come next season.

Thanks for your recaps, Lily. It's always delightful to read a recap that's full of humour and fun, often at the expense of storylines that kinda sometimes deserve to be mocked :)
Flag
Snowing queen threesome in the Dark Forest gave me many lolololols.
Flag
When I look back on S3, the first thing I remember is Rumple discovering Baelfire isn't dead. Them running into each other on Neverland and all of their interactions that episode so I guess I'd have to say that.. (Not including your reviews of course, Lily. They were obviously the true highlight.)

The second thing I remember is how very awful it was and my general disappointment and disgust. But this is a postive article so I'll move swiftly on.

Third is everything Lana Parilla. I'm new to her altar but from now on it's the only place I shall worship.
Flag
Thank you so much for all your reviews Lily. They mean so much to people and it's like having a little light in the dark corners we've been shoved into by mainstream media, a toxic fandom and given that season finale, the show itself.

For me 'Going Home' was the highlight of the season and frankly may even end up being where my headcanon for the show stops. It showcased the Swan Mills family and the massive sacrifice Regina made in order to give Henry and Emma their happy ending. OUAT for me revolves around that dynamic and it really shone through in that episode.
Flag
I loved the time-travelling adventure contained in the two-hour finale. They made sure the changes they made had consequences, Emma & Hook got to experience a lot of events they missed and it was just a lot of fun!
Flag
the episode without henry was AWESOME! also enjoyed the continual talk of 'happy endings'... tee hee ;)
Flag
HOOK, pan now he was a very cool villain, and of course reading your reviews.
Flag
Without your reviews, we would not be able to comment...at least here.
Flag
your recaps were awesome Lily.. can't you recap Under the Dome or even Mistresses? One of the best moments of watching this season was when Regina gave Emma and Henry the chance to live. I liked how it was Hook though that brought them all back together, but really it was Neal. However, I am grateful they killed Zelena off though and did not drag out that storyline until next season. I can't wait until the Knave comes on the show though. Thank goodness it's him and not Alice.
Flag
I would LOVE her recapping Mistresses. Soapy campy fun with Lily snark. :D
Flag
With out a doubt Lily's Reviews! I love OUAT but without Lily's take it just wouldn't be as fun! Other top moments....Regina using light magic, Robbie Kay as Pan and Rumple always being the wild card. See you all next season!
Flag
nothing from the Peter Pan storyline.
Flag
Yay! We are your favorite thing!

Your recaps are a huge part of OUAT so I hope you'll do season 4 even though I'm not sure I will!
My favorite moment was probably the goodbye scene at the end of 3x11... And then pretty much all the SwanQueen/SwanMillsFamily moments.
Flag
My favorite moments of this season were YOUR recaps Lily total gold EVERY week and I really hope you keep doing them cause I can't imagine the show without them! Thank you for all of your late night hard work on them We see the love you poor into them even when the show doesn't deserve it! xoxoxoxo &3 &3 &3
Flag
I loved every joke and snarky comment that came out of Regina's mouth. And all her evil queen outfits too.

I also loved all the evil, snarky comments that came out of Rumple's mouth. Also his line in the finale when he came to in the vault. "What the hell am I doing in here?" LOL
Flag
I would have put Pan on my list. I miss Robbie Kay something fierce.

The increase in the number of accents! I have an addiction to listening to people from England/Ireland/Australia/New Zealand talk so the additions of Sean Maguire, Rose McIver, and Robbie Kay and the increased presence of Colin were literal music to my ears.

I also loved the fact that we actually started addressing issues. We've talked before about how much everyone on this show bottles everything up or deals with their anger in unhealthy ways, and we finally got to see them hash out some of these issues and it was awesome.

Otherwise, I have to agree with most everything on your list.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members