Once Upon a Time

Desperate Souls

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 2012 on ABC

• Unexpectedly good!

I read a short synopsis about this episode before watching it, and I wasn't expecting too much from it, because the storyline wasn't sounding all that interesting, since I don't really like the Rumpelstiltskin character, but it turned out to be unexpectedly good! It was the tale of how Rumpelstiltskin started turning evil! And it was very interesting!

Meanwhile, in the present, there was a very good storyline as well, with the battle for the sherriff position! Very interesting stuff, and some interesting tactics used in the battle as well, by both sides of the battle.

Overall, a very good episode, and I can't wait for more! Keep it up, OUaT!
  • Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous

How on earth do you get people to sympathize with someone who has shown you nothing but evil? It isn't easy, but the writers have done it. They have made me feel for Rumplestiltskin and start to ponder whether Mr. Gold really is a bad guy. He may have been a coward, but he was a good guy with good intentions before he became cursed. Wow... love the twist and now I love the character even more. Cannot wait to see where he goes.

So, on one hand we see how manipulative he is, but we see that he is doing it for a reason. Just what is that reason? Well, that is all part of the captivating mystery. All we know is that Mr. Gold wanted Emma to be sheriff and voila: she is. He seems to have a hard on for Regina and I cannot wait to find out why.

As usual Robert Carlyle and Lana Parilla were fabulous as was Gilmore and Morrison. It is so fun to watch Carlyle so over the top as Rumple and then as Mr. Gold be so coy and subtle. I have come to realize that episodes that feature him are somehow a little bit better than those without him.

• Desperate Souls

Desperate Souls was a perfect episode of Once Upon A Time, though I feel for some viewers there should have been another episode before it dealing with Graham's death and the fall out because of it. I didn't mind the time lapse or getting right back to how things were so to speak, but they could improve a little. The Rumpelstiltskin back story was the best part of the episode and gave some juicy details along with hints of whats to come. I loved the irony of Rumpelstiltskin's existence and how Desperate Souls can lead to trouble! The sheriff election story line was ok, but the speeches were very short and unprofessional, very story book, but I'm over it and moving on. There was a ton of character and plot development, laying foundations I suspect for future episodes. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Disappointing Episode

This episode focused on Rumplestiltskin's origin story in the flashbacks and the election for the next sheriff in the present-day.

After the cliffhanger of Regina snuffing out Graham's life, I was expecting more emotional fall-out from the death, but there was too little of that. I did like a few of the scenes between Henry and Emma, and it was interesting how dejected Henry was. I didn't like seeing Emma played by Mr. Gold, and now owing him a favor, though I liked how resolute Emma was against playing dirty. Regina accepting Emma as the Sheriff at the end makes little sense. On the one hand, she is so evil, but she's just going to let this one slide? Why didn't she rig the ballots or something?

The flashbacks should have been interesting, but I thought they were strangely dull. The Dark One didn't seem to fit into the Fairyland world. He reminded me of the evil guy in "Star Wars" with his force field. It also made little sense that the Duke would leave that dagger unguarded, and it was unclear why the fire would help when Rumplestiltskin could have himself gotten killed in the fire. The flashback dialogue didn't sound that natural.

It wasn't a horrible episode; just a lacklustre one.
  • I really want to like this series ...

I really want to like this series. I like the concept, most of the actors, and think it is an excellent premise. The fact that it comes from "Lost" producers is the icing on the fairy-tale cake.

Or so I thought.

Upon watching this episode, I'd have to agree with the reviewer below. What made Lost great was that at the core, most of the episodes consisted of a mental workout where things were left to the audience member to decifer. With OUaT, everything is spelled out as if it really was a storybook tale one were telling a seven-year old. I understand that perhaps young audience members exist, but if the target audience is someone in their twenties or thirties, I don't think so much explanation is required. I believe that most of us WANT to watch something that keeps our minds working and not just something that is explained in tedious fashion.

That said, I'll keep watching because I do want to know what happens next, I've enjoyed the episodes so far, and as already mentioned, I like most of the actors and characters.

That, and I'm a sucker for happy endings.