Once Upon a Time

Desperate Souls

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 2012 on ABC

• I really want to like this series ...

I really want to like this series. I like the concept, most of the actors, and think it is an excellent premise. The fact that it comes from "Lost" producers is the icing on the fairy-tale cake.

Or so I thought.

Upon watching this episode, I'd have to agree with the reviewer below. What made Lost great was that at the core, most of the episodes consisted of a mental workout where things were left to the audience member to decifer. With OUaT, everything is spelled out as if it really was a storybook tale one were telling a seven-year old. I understand that perhaps young audience members exist, but if the target audience is someone in their twenties or thirties, I don't think so much explanation is required. I believe that most of us WANT to watch something that keeps our minds working and not just something that is explained in tedious fashion.

That said, I'll keep watching because I do want to know what happens next, I've enjoyed the episodes so far, and as already mentioned, I like most of the actors and characters.

That, and I'm a sucker for happy endings.

ABC