Once Upon a Time

Desperate Souls

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 2012 on ABC

• Disappointing Episode

This episode focused on Rumplestiltskin's origin story in the flashbacks and the election for the next sheriff in the present-day.

After the cliffhanger of Regina snuffing out Graham's life, I was expecting more emotional fall-out from the death, but there was too little of that. I did like a few of the scenes between Henry and Emma, and it was interesting how dejected Henry was. I didn't like seeing Emma played by Mr. Gold, and now owing him a favor, though I liked how resolute Emma was against playing dirty. Regina accepting Emma as the Sheriff at the end makes little sense. On the one hand, she is so evil, but she's just going to let this one slide? Why didn't she rig the ballots or something?

The flashbacks should have been interesting, but I thought they were strangely dull. The Dark One didn't seem to fit into the Fairyland world. He reminded me of the evil guy in "Star Wars" with his force field. It also made little sense that the Duke would leave that dagger unguarded, and it was unclear why the fire would help when Rumplestiltskin could have himself gotten killed in the fire. The flashback dialogue didn't sound that natural.

It wasn't a horrible episode; just a lacklustre one.