Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Does anyone else think it's really hard to root for David as opposed to James?

mariana064

[1]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 6

I just think he is acting like an idiot as David, not really the kind of man Mary Margaret deserves. As James, in the fairytale world he is the best but i think the writers should keep in mind that we should love both versions of him, right?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tayke

[2]Feb 27, 2012
    • level: 8
    I agree, David's actions so far have made him very unlikable as a romantic lead for Mary Margaret... But maybe that's part of the curse? The aim was to ruin Snow White's happy ending, and turning brave, I-will-always-find-you James into spineless, lying David is one way to do it. So far, he's made Mary Margaret pretty miserable. Who, doesn't seem to be as feisty as Snow White either. On a side note... We still don't know his name. Wasn't James his twin, the original prince?

Dracomom

[3]Feb 28, 2012
    • level: 5

This character has a real identity crisis!

"Charming" is masquerading as James (the dead twin- remember King George telling Snow "He is not my son!") but still has a fairly strong sense of who he is. But we don't actually know his birth name.

"David" woke up from a coma (due to Mary Margaret reading their story, mind you- he must have had some clue then), but was claimed by Abigail because she's got a false (Curse-induced) memory of him as her husband. "David" had no recollection of any of this until he saw the windmill in Mr Gold's shop. (The bit with the unicorn mobile is one of my favorite scenes!) So at first I couldn't blame the guy for being confused. Now I think he's aggravating!

It seems that "David" can only find his inner "Charming" when he's with MM- the rest of the time he's slimy! I believe that he could have found his true self then if he hadn't been set up to see the windmill; which of course is why Regina engineered the incident. I always took Mr Gold's comment "Charming, isn't it?" as an attempt to stir up the old memories prior to the windmill-spell kicking in, to create enough of a conflict between the two sets of memories that "David' wouldn't be completely taken in.

Unfortunately, Mary Margaret can only find her inner "Snow" when her prince isn't around- she's tried to be honorable in several of their scenes, and he always charms her out of it. (Pheromones, maybe?)

JoshSutton

[4]Mar 6, 2012
    • level: 15
    I too believe it's all apart of Regina's evil master plan!

angeleys151

[5]Mar 15, 2012

Yes, David is very difficult to like, and I do think it's part of the spell. Remember how dishonest Archie (Jiminey Cricket) was at first? It wasn't until Henry made him believe that Archie started acting more like his FTL persona. Lets not forget that Mary-Margret is also missing that backbone that Snow had. I think it's part of the spell, their experiences in FTL make them stronger, more extraordinary people, and without them they are just pathetically ordinary.

P.S. I really want to know Charming's real name! And does Snow ever find out what it is and still calls him James to keep his prince cover, or does she still think that's his real name?

erinahbing

[6]Mar 15, 2012

Agree.

For me the series seriously jumped the shark with his stupid behavior, e.g. the mixed Valentine cards. The Hero just can't be that idiot.

Dracomom

[7]Mar 18, 2012

Erin, I agree- we don't want That Idiot being the hero. So I hope the scriptwriters give David a few clues!

Stray thoughts- could the most recent whack on the help actually help? And what if it's Charming's heart in the box? (His behavior this episode might give us a better idea about that) Do they have a special freezer to keep this kind of evidence in, or is this heart hanging around somewhere unsecured?

angeleys151

[8]Mar 19, 2012
    Dracomom wrote:

Do they have a special freezer to keep this kind of evidence in, or is this heart hanging around somewhere unsecured?

That made me laugh so hard, just at the imagery of it hanging out on Emma's desk at the sheriffs office. I saw her rummaging through it saying "I know I put that here somewhere"

That is a good point though, do they have a coroners office? Or any type of forensics scientist? And who ran the prints?

Dracomom

[9]Mar 19, 2012

I'd originally imagined the heart sitting on some shelf in the fridge, being mistaken for someone's lunch- your idea was much better!

Kitanishi

[10]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 9
    erinahbing wrote:

Agree.

For me the series seriously jumped the shark with his stupid behavior, e.g. the mixed Valentine cards. The Hero just can't be that idiot.

Why not?

Villains all have motivations and good sides in this show so far, why can't heroes have flaws? Snow White is quite flawed and very interesting character, for example.

Charming is this totally nice guy with the heart in the right place, being thrust into the things he can't understand nor explain and drawn towards even more chaotic situation by encountering a woman in the woods and falling in love with her. He is a fish out of the water, trying to always do the right thing with the naivety of a young boy, that makes him follow his heart. Thus he plows through the bizarre events surrounding Snow White and him by trusting in his own heart and hoping for best outcome.

David on other hand is insecure and flawed. Its Charming without his righteous attitude, moral compass or sense of self-right. He questions everything, be it himself or others. He does not have "memories", nor life. Everything feels "pasted onto" for him. He is struggling with this ridiculously strong attraction to someone who is NOT his wife and at the same time dealing with memory loss, ptsd, blackouts, bizarre murders and add to that now, conflicting memories of weirdness.

Its two parts of the whole, and I expect David will eventually become more like Charmed, because thats what the show is about - those characters rediscovering themselves

Edited on 03/20/2012 4:48am
    Edited 2 total times.

Dracomom

[11]Mar 21, 2012

Kitanishi- I agree that a flawed character is usually a more interesting character, and I considered many of your points at the start. It was the lying to Kathryn (sin of omission admittedly, not commission) and that whole whiny "I told her- it was bad" thing that got to me. I wanted to slap him! The fact that he lied to both of the women in his lifethat way, after promising to tell the truth,may be demonstrating how far he's got to go to make it back to where he started from. The scriptwriters certainly found a way to render him cute, clueless, and cowardly.

Oddly enough, I didn't hold it against him that David (after recovering a partial memory of Snow) would question MM- if he had just mentioned the long hair, it would have been a great scene! Or the clothes, or even who the alledged victim would have been... It was amazing how absolutely inept D was- I'd at least have brought her coffee, if nota shotof scotch, before asking that kind of question! Obviously MM couldn't get bail in Storybrooke, with Regina as mayor and probably judge; couldn't he have brought some little token gift to brighten her cell? like maybe a paperbackbook?(I know- that wouldn't have been as dramatically conflicted as the sceene we got- unless maybe MM tried to kill him with it?)

angeleys151

[12]Apr 24, 2012

After watching The Return I was compleatly charmed by David's "I thought it would be sweet to kiss your forehead thing" It was blundering but genuinely sweet that he still cares for Catherine and couldn't think of how else to express that. I also thought the appoligies to Catherine and MM were genuine and as bad as I knew it would be for MM to accept and get back together with him, I still found myself wishing she would. Then I read the TV.com review of the episode and so many people thought it was lameand creepy that I'm curious what you all thought. Is he back on track to becoming Prince Charming again (I still think he's a long way off but getting back to himself) or was the kiss creepy and appoligies still on par with Davids prior history of being a jack-arse?

Dracomom

[13]Apr 24, 2012

He's trying so hard that I'm wondering if Regina's got his brain in a box! The emotion is there, but David is so completely inept there's got to be a reason why.

I think he was trying to be cute- but if I came out of a sound sleep (in the HOSDPITAL, especially after all she's been through)to find my ex hovering over me, I don't think I could be as gracious as Kathryn was. She is truly a princess. And I'm guessing Dr Whale has something to do with that heart... Bluebeard, maybe?

Rachaelma

[14]Apr 26, 2012

HI,

When I first started watching Once Upon A Time, I loved every single character.

But now the writers are making it harder for me choose who like. As for Prince Charming AKA "James" AKA "David" I like both versions of him, others may not agree with me but this is what I think:

David: He is a loving caring guy but because he's fairy-tale character James was stabbed just before the curse happened he is trying to find who he is as well as the other characters in the story. David is just like James but there are some difference's between both of them.

James: A true swordsman, Caring and Affectionate, Loves Mary-Margeret AKA "SNOW" Has a daughter named Emma even though he does not remember having a daughter with SNOW cares for her very much.

Like I said there are many things to say about both David and James but for right now I like both sides of him.

angeleys151

[15]Apr 26, 2012
    Dracomom wrote:

He's trying so hard that I'm wondering if Regina's got his brain in a box! The emotion is there, but David is so completely inept there's got to be a reason why.

I think he was trying to be cute- but if I came out of a sound sleep (in the HOSDPITAL, especially after all she's been through)to find my ex hovering over me, I don't think I could be as gracious as Kathryn was. She is truly a princess. And I'm guessing Dr Whale has something to do with that heart... Bluebeard, maybe?

I like the idea that Regina could have his brain locked away instead of his heart, it would explain an awful lot. And you're right, I wasn't thinking of it in terms of "she's been through something traumatic", the kiss was only cute from his point of view, definitely not hers.
    I think it's past time for us to find out who Dr. Whale is, he's been in enough episodes now.

Dracomom

[16]Apr 27, 2012

If Dr Whale didn't have something to do with Kathryn's heart in the box (which I still wonder whether it could really be hers, and she's walking around without it like Graham) I can't think who else would. He's worked with Regina to some extent, keeping David isolated in the hospital and (I think)trying to makes sure David didn't wake up.

Dr Whale could be:

A disappointed suitor of Snow's (remember how he hooked up with Mary Margaret);

An antagonist for David (David and Goliath has been coming to mind lately- but that's a stretch):

A sea creature of some variety- merman, triton, selkie, etc(Whale = big sea creature);

One of Regina's old boyfriends from when she took over the kingdom (did anyone see him in FTL?)

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

RhodesWren

[17]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 3

Definitely. I absolutely despise people like David, who can't decide between two different people, and who seem to want whoever's moving on and not needing them as much.

anngel421

[18]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 17

So... I was watching a snippet of a dvd extra and Josh Dallas was explaining that because of the curse David is morally icky and hard to root for, the exact opposite of James. Think of snow vs mm. Brave and sassy vs meek and mild. Now that the curse is broken and he's back to being James but with the dual memory of being David, I'm curious as to where his character arc is headed. What do you think?

Dracomom

[19]Oct 14, 2012

Nowhere to go but up, really. But after the episode aired 10/7/12, the writers have a plan to rehabilitate the poor schmuck.

sci_fi40

[20]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 7

So, rather than start a whole thread, I'd like to bring attention to the one thing that's annoying me most this season. Everyone seems to have forgotten "James'" name! Seriously, every character so far has referered to him as "Charming"! That's not his name!!!

Anyway, rant over. :-)

It was nice to seem himacknowledge, in episode 2, the failings of "David"'s personality, and differentiate himself from the effects of the curse.