Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Emma's tattoo...?

SpartXen

[1]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 4

Just read a tweet from Jen Morrison saying that Emma has a tattoo (Jen herself doesn't have a tattoo so it was definitely added for the show). I looked it up and found a shot of it: it's a small white-ish flower on the inside of her left wrist. Anyone care to speculate what it might be? It's obviously important or they wouldn't go through the trouble of painting it on Jennifer. I really hope we'll get the story before season one is over, it's gonna really bug me now

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cocktailshrink

[2]May 4, 2012
    • level: 1

I've never noticed it before.

angeleys151

[3]May 5, 2012
    • level: 6

I never noticed it either but I'll bet once she returns to FTL after the curse is broken she will have her own tale and this should point to what it is. I can't think of any tales at the moment that would involve what looks like a daisy but there are so many I'm sure it's out there.

angeleys151

[4]May 5, 2012
    angeleys151 wrote:

I never noticed it either but I'll bet once she returns to FTL after the curse is broken she will have her own tale and this should point to what it is. I can't think of any tales at the moment that would involve what looks like a daisy but there are so many I'm sure it's out there.

I just found a flower on line called "Snow Queen" or Hydrangea Quercifolia that looks an awful lot like the flower on Emma's wrist. I don't want to see Emma being the Snow Queen but if she was Gerda that might be cool.

JasmineHR

[5]May 26, 2012
    • level: 35

Oh interesting! Either I never noticed the tattoo or I did but didn't think anything of it so I didn't retain it. I did a search and found a pic of it. It's rather plain. Looks like just the outline and no color fill-in but since she doesn't have that tattoo in real life, I'm sure we'll get to see the story behind it, especially considering the minds of the brilliant writers.

Dracomom

[6]May 27, 2012
    • level: 5

If it's just an outline, could it be a forget-me-not? There aren't too many flowers that have 4 petals, and that's the first one I think of.

Re hydrangeas- most are giant clumps of flowers, but each individual blossom has 4 petals. "Snow Queen" is what we used to call a snowball tree growing up- if you leave the flowers on past their prime, they turn pinkish. Some look kind of greenish when they first bloom. But there are other hydrangeas that turn dark blue or purpley pink, depending whether the soil is acidic or alkaline (basic).

There is also a mythological plant called moly, which had white flowers and was able to cure many things- one of the Greek myths with Hermes mentions it. Don't remember much more about it- sorry!

bigo93

[7]Jun 18, 2012
    Just read this and now I'm curios as well.

Some googling around and I found that some coat of arms use a Flax, and on the wiki page for flax at the bottom we have:

"In early tellings of the Sleeping Beauty tale, such as Sun, Moon, and Talia by Giambattista Basile, the princess pricks her finger not on a spindle but on a sliver of flax, which is later sucked out by her children conceived as she sleeps."

More googling on crests shows that many use either trifoils, quadfoils or cinquefoils. So a flower with 6 petals would be a sextifoil. Though cannot find any info on it, just says different families would have different meanings on their crests.
    Sextifoils can also be called narcissus, aka daffodils.

JasmineHR

[8]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 35

Oh, coat of arms! Interesting. Have they ever showed Charming's coat of arms? But then again, since he's not really the King's real son, it wouldn't technically be his coat of arms. I wonder if his real family had a coat of arms. Next time I get around to re-watching the show, I'll have to keep an eye out for flowers in Snow's or Charming's flashbacks.

Dracomom

[9]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 5

Hadn't heard of "Sleeping Beauty" spinning flax- but after seeing the process required to get the bast (inner) fibers out of flax plants in order to spin linen, I'm not surprised she'd prick her finger. (Makes spinning straw into gold look easy!) I think flax plants have 5 petals though...

Even if Charming isn't entitled to King George's family coat of arms, Snow has one... and she could award one to Charming if he ever felt the lack of one (doubt he'd care, but you never know) It wasn't unusual for kings to award coats of arms as a reward, even to the common folk (once you got a coat of arms, you had a reputation, so people would pay more attention to you).

I haven't noticed any royal symbols or livery so far on the show- no royal banners either. Maybe next season?

bigo93

[10]Sep 29, 2012

So since it's been quiet for a while I guess noone else has made any progression on what the tattoo could imply?

One thing I forgot to add was thatnarcissus is derived from a greek word meaning sleep/numbness, so again that could link with the Sleeping Beauty bit again.

So that kindda make me think the flower on her wrist is a daffodil.

LOL, please dont end this series with a "it was all a dream" ending!

Edited on 09/29/2012 6:44pm