Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Evil Queen

CrazyAsian1080

[1]Sep 12, 2012
    • level: 7

Sooo do they ever explain why she's so evil? I have to admit, Once Upon a Time is a lot better than I thought it would be, but every time there is a scene with Regina or the Evil Queen I kind of want to stop watching. She's so one dimensionally evil that she's more annoying than anything else.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CrazyAsian1080

[2]Sep 12, 2012
    • level: 7

Okay, just saw the reason why, and she still is annoying.

exploretalent

[3]Sep 13, 2012
    • level: 1

without evil there will never be a hero? guess it's just the way the story goes...

watcher1006

[4]Sep 22, 2012
    • level: 10

CrazyAsian1080 wrote:

Okay, just saw the reason why, and she still is annoying.

Yes indeed, once you get to the episode "The Stable Boy" you will see some backstory of why she became what she is. While that may still not make her a sympathetic character she's not totally one-dimensional.

Dracomom

[5]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 5

I hope to see a lot more of the relationship between Regina and Cora, cuz that's where it all starts...

watcher1006

[6]Oct 7, 2012

Well Dracomom, as of Episode 2.02 "We Are Both" you have gotten your wish, big time! Smile

mysteriousopal

[7]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 29
    watcher1006 wrote:

Well Dracomom, as of Episode 2.02 "We Are Both" you have gotten your wish, big time! Smile

True, and it explains much. But I still wonder, how could Regina stay kind and nice throughout her childhood with someone as Cora as a mother? I hope it gets explained.

angeleys151

[8]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 6

Really glad they made the story from sweet heartbroken Regina to Evil Queen Regina more gradual. People who go bad rarely just snap they start making compromises and slide down that slippery slope, so I'm seeing this as leading to us feeling for Regina and rooting for her to come back to the side of the good guys. Before (I think I'm speaking for everyone) we wanted to see her defeated, but with promise to Henry that she wants to redeem herself I personally had a small glimmer of hope... right up until *spoiler* she keeps the spell book instead of throwing it in the fire

Dracomom

[9]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 5

The downhill and back up are both slippery slopes. (One step forward, two steps back) I believe Regina is more capable of making a single grand gesture than of all the tiny steps which a true repentance will demand- it's more heroic to jump in front of an arrow ortake the poison oneself than to more gradual, significant changes.

Regina survived her traumatic childhood due to her loving father, whom she murdered to cast the Dark Curse. Now she's got to face Mom with no allies; if that isn't a scenario for heroic sacrifice, my intuition is slipping.

Who's with me that Cora is the Red Queen in Wonderland? I thought so when I first saw Wonderland's veile ruler, and now I'm guessing that her face was veiled to hide scars (from the broken glass) On the other hand, one of my viewing buddies theorizes that Cora's actually Morgan LeFay.

watcher1006

[10]Oct 8, 2012

Well she couldn't give up the book but if you look at her situation she has more going on than her designs against Snow White/MM and Charming/David and the other people of Storybrooke. More going on than her need for Henry. She also has Rumpelstiltskin/Gold as her adversary. He isn't about to give up anything HE has and, given how he set the Wraith on her I could see her holding on to the book as a possible means of defense.

As of now I have no idea who the Red Queen may be. But Jefferson remains very much in the picture so I suspect we'll be seeing Wonderland soon enough.

watcher1006

[11]Nov 27, 2012

It's interesting how the role of Regina has evolved this season. Yes, she still wants her revenge, she still has an agenda with Rumpelstiltskin/Gold. But we see her often enough now working on the same side as Emma/MM/David/Henry, if not for the same purposes.

Plus with the expanding role of her mom Cora, it seems that the "good guys" from last season will find that they and Regina have a common enemy.

And finally, it's clear to me that she really does care for Henry, and that he doesn't entirely hate her in return.

kanniballl

[12]Dec 3, 2012
    • level: 18

Well, she didn't quite snap right away. And to be honest, much of this season she has been quite redeamable. She really was trying to take the high road for her son, and did seem sad that Charming was stuck in the sleeping curse.

- Being raised by Cora must have been a nightmare, and hard as heck to keep control.

- Then we saw that she was quite angry with Snow after her stable-boy-fiance died, but we find out her freak-out to Snow was just her imagination. At that point she didn't hate her THAT much yet.

- THEN we find out that Magic corrupts, and that she watched it corrupt her mother. Enter Mr Gold, who gives her the same Spell Book her mother used (and corrupted her).

- At this point, she's still not too bad. She wants to use magic to revive her fiance and she wants to banish her mother.

- But after a failed attempt at reviving her fiance, she really starts to go dark side.

So it wasn't the immediate shift after her fiance that Season 1 led us to believe. But it was definitely the turning point for her.

ionee24

[13]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 32
    Dracomom wrote:

I hope to see a lot more of the relationship between Regina and Cora, cuz that's where it all starts...

I'd rather see a lot more of her sessions with Archie Hopper, Henry is too unsympathetic to me I can barely stand the scene he's already in and Cora is evil, end of story,

Archie and Regina's dynamic, on the other hand, is more resounding to me because they are Jiminy Cricket and the Evil Queen.

cosmos25

[14]Jan 24, 2013
    • level: 2

One of my favorite character is The Evil Queen, Regina. To me she makes the show!

Edie70

[15]Jan 29, 2013
    • level: 19
    cosmos25 wrote:

One of my favorite character is The Evil Queen, Regina. To me she makes the show!

She does. I know she's had 3 centric episodes this season already but she's not getting nearly as much screen time as she did last year.

Beecharm3r2

[16]Apr 4, 2013
    • level: 8
    Some people might disagree, but I miss Regina as being EVIL. I know it's something JJ Abrams does - introduce a villain that's creepy and horrible then try to build them up. It was horribly done on Lost where Ben was THE big bad and the final season he was good - a multiple murderer good... it's almost awkward watching.

That's how I feel about Regina. She had The Huntsman's heart, controlled him and basically used him as a sex slave. She killed her own father, kept Jefferson from his daughter, she tried to kill Snow on numerous occasions... and now she's weepy and trying to be "Good"? I can't stand it. No one flips flops like that. If anyone remembers Krycheck off X-files, I look at that as the perfect example of how writers should take an evil person and make them "Good". Krycheck wasn't necessarily evil but he did a lot of bad things to serve his own purposes and he did a few good things for the same reasons. When it came down to it - he was just selfish and ended up doing more bad than good because of it. Even Mr. Gold has done some good things and some bad things but that's the heart of his character. He does things for his own purposes and we don't know his true feelings about things yet. Even though he's manipulative, it's not clear yet if he's chosen a side. Good or evil...it's just not clear cut for him.

The way Regina's portrayed in Season 2 it's very...naive. Watching her after all the bad things she's done, act good is strange. If they had her pretending to be good but the viewers see she's evil and manipulating people, that's different. But Reginas' being portrayed as a sappy poor-me, pity me, and I had a broken heart therefore I lost it.

Um...nope. Sorry I don't buy it and frankly Season 2 Regina is annoying me. They need to fix it immediately.

archangelwho

[17]Jun 27, 2013
    • level: 18

She more just mean and hateful than evil in this world. She really lost something in the move.