Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Henry: Love him or Hate him

ionee24

[21]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    decarus wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    I think Henry's father is not a fairytale character because those just don't leave their babies so, unless the father is Mr. Gold, then I think Henry is going to vanish from existance once they destroy the curse.

But the father does not know that Henry exists, Emma said. So he didn't leave Henry either way. The father doesn't know about him.

It doesn't matter what Emma says, if Henry's father were a fairytale character there's no force that would keep him away from his child, yet the only - male - fairytale character that has stuck with Henry has been Mr. Gold and Emma didn't seem to recognize him when she came to Stroybrook so Henry's father is NOT a fairytale character.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

decarus

[22]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 3

I am going to have to disagree with your reasoning. I think it is possible that the father could not be a fairy tale character. And based on what we know now that is most likely, but i think it is possible that he is a fairy tale character as well. The father does not know about Henry. It would cause a whole different dynamic when they introduce the father to have him be from somewhere else and have to explain that everyone is a fairy tale character to an outsider. I think the biggest difficulty with having the father be a fairy tale character would be that he would not have aged. I just don't think any of that when magic is in play is a good enough reason. And Emma only knew the father for a couple of years.

ionee24

[23]Dec 19, 2011
    I don't think Henry's father is a fairytale character because he would be with him already, like Emma's father is with her already and Regina's father never left her side even if it killed her. Under fairytale canon the father is always part of the child's life yet Henry's father is not a factor in Storybrook so he must have been a real life person Emma met in the outside world.

decarus

[24]Dec 28, 2011

I still don't agree. Just because in a lot of fairy tales children have fathers and no mothers doesn't prove anything. And this is a modern fairy tale where a lot of the characters have messed up memories and the father has no knowledge of the child anyways. That alone proves why the father is not part of the child's life. The reason i think that the father might be a fairy tale character is because when the father comes into the story, which i am assuming he will at some point, that means he will have to come upon Henry or Emma and that seems more likely to happen randomly in Storybrooke. Though i guess the Evil Queen could go after the father or Rumpel may so there are other ways for him to enter the story. I just think that both are possibilities given the very little information we have.

ionee24

[25]Dec 29, 2011
    decarus wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    I don't think Henry's father is a fairytale character because he would be with him already, like Emma's father is with her already and Regina's father never left her side even if it killed her. Under fairytale canon the father is always part of the child's life yet Henry's father is not a factor in Storybrook so he must have been a real life person Emma met in the outside world.

I still don't agree. Just because in a lot of fairy tales children have fathers and no mothers doesn't prove anything.

If that's the case then we can throw the concept of magic, one true love, villains or heroes throw the window too: Once Upon a Time is different because it obeys to the fairytale rules. If they don't follow that code then I may as well watch Grimm/Game of Thrones instead.

decarus

[26]Dec 29, 2011

I just don't get how you can consider the father has to be part of the child's life as a fairytale rule. I don't consider that a fairytale rule. There has to be a happy ending. That is a fairytale rule. The girl and the guy get together. Fairytale rule. But not the father is part of the child's life. And also the story is on going. The father may be part of Henry's life in the future of the series. That is really all i have to say about this subject i think.

If anything the parents are usually unimportant in a fairytale. The only reason they are important in this story is because we are seeing three generations of a fairytale family.

Edited on 12/29/2011 7:53pm

ionee24

[27]Dec 30, 2011
    Because the father is always part of the child life in fairytale stories: Gepeto, Hansel & Gretel, the Princes and the Frog, Beauty & the Beast, etc. wherever the mother is dead, there's always a father with the child in order to rais him

Hence why here's no stepfather on Snow White, there's a stepMOTHER.

shadowysea07

[28]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 25

you do realize that you can only have 1 step parent right? (ignoring both parents getting remarried) so even if the evil queen cinderellas stepmothergot remarried the guy wouldn't be snowwhites or cinderellas stepfather.

ionee24

[31]Jan 1, 2012

shadowysea07 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Because the father is always part of the child life in fairytale stories: Gepeto, Hansel & Gretel, the Princes and the Frog, Beauty & the Beast, etc. wherever the mother is dead, there's always a father with the child in order to rais him Hence why here's no stepfather on Snow White, there's a stepMOTHER.

you do realize that you can only have 1 step parent right?

You do realize the step parent is NEVER the father right? Because that's the whole point: fairytale fathers don't leave/die on their children, fairytale mothers do.

Dracomom

[32]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 5

Oedipus. King Arthur. Jack and the Beanstalk.Lots of characters lost their fathers- Red Riding Hood's story references mom and grandmom but not dad- although THAT one may go back to before fathers were generally acknowledged, if you believe some of the neopagans...

A widow was almost as likely in the Grimm versions as a father- the exception was royalty, since few queens ruled successfully alone (Elizabeth I notwithstanding)

I think one reason Henry is so annoying is that he's read the book and we haven't! It gives him the same spurious air of omniscience you encounter when talking with a 10-year-old about Pokemon or Bakugan or whatever their current obsession is. (Perhaps I'm prejudiced because my son is 91/2- we run into a lot of these same issues on a daily basis!)

Do the teenagers in a horror movie do the logical thing? or behave the way you'd like them to? The movie wouldn't go anywhere if they did...

ionee24

[33]Jan 24, 2012

I think Henry is annoying because he's not realistic either as human being or a regular fairytale character.

Most teeangers in the Scream flicks should've been annoying too but their human being approach to horror movies made relateable from Scream 1 to 4.

Henry is plain poorly written IMO.

Edited on 01/24/2012 8:22am

Dracomom

[34]Jan 24, 2012

Can't agree that he's poorly written.

He's doing exactly what they need him to do- furnishing a non-cynical perception of the basic plot duality. After all, no one in Storybrooke knows the things we see in the flashbacks. Nor do they have any idea why they should care about fairy tales (except for Regina and Mr. Gold).

I admit the kid's chirpy. ButHenry isa kid, not too different from mine- except that he's also a narrator of sorts. Sometimes he acts10 and sometimes he acts like he's100, which can be disconcerting. I'm guessing we all did, growing up- moreso as you get into the teen years.

ionee24

[35]Jan 25, 2012

Dracomom wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

I think Henry is annoying because he's not realistic either as human being or a regular fairytale character.

Most teeangers in the Scream flicks should've been annoying too but their human being approach to horror movies made relateable from Scream 1 to 4.

Henry is plain poorly written IMO.

Can't agree that he's poorly written.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I can't sheer for a character just because ever since Lost came along: the storyline has to earn it or that's poorly written IMO.

Edited on 01/25/2012 2:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RenatoB

[36]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 43
    I don't have a problem with Henry as a character, I like him, but I'll agree that Jared S. Gilmore's acting leaves something to be desired. Granted, he's just a kid, but there are a lot of talented kids out there. Zane Huett would probably be perfect for the role, although he's perhaps too tall, I don't know...

RenatoB

[37]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 43
    The rest of the current main cast is fantastic, particularly Robert Carlyle, he's phenomenal. Jamie Dornan was not a very good actor, though.

Dracomom

[38]Feb 10, 2012
    Jared may not win any Oscars, but he's not that awful, really. Henry is central to the plot- much of it wouldn't even exist if he didn't, would it? I expect he's mostly annoying because he's precocious and incredibly sure of his theory (which is right, btw!) Plus, Regina wants Archie to psychoanalyze Henry into being the perfect kid that will make her happily ever after complete- I'm surprised she hasn't suggested medicating him yet. Adopted or not, that's enough to make any kid hate their parents! "You must be perfect to deserve everything I've done for you"

I agree that Robert Carlyle is awesome. I believe Lana Parilla makes a great EQ and a wicked Mayor (but an overachieving mom) I just wish I could get my hands on The Book!

ionee24

[39]Feb 16, 2012
    Dracomom wrote:
    Jared may not win any Oscars, but he's not that awful, really.

I think the character is, not the actor.

Whether or not the kid will never win an Oscar this seems to be a writing problem more than an acting one.

Beecharm3r2

[40]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 8
    I really like Henry. I think the kid's adorable and he's a good actor, he just hasn't had a lot to his role yet. He's still a kid, learning as he goes with the acting, but I think he has a lot of the subtly down. There were a few scenes recently where he didn't say a think but the reaction on his face and the subtle smile showed a lot more depth than earlier episodes.

In my opinion, he's essential to the story. In another thread I posted how I think there's a lot more to his story than meets the eye. Why is he so convinced Regina's evil? I think he either saw something or Regina did something that has him thinking that. Plus he said that she doesn't love him so maybe she smacks him around or something. If she knows Henry is Snow's grandson then she could do a lot of stuff to him out of hatred but all we see is that she's civil to him so far.

Plus, I'm curious about Henry's father. In one episode Emma seemed freaked when Mary Margaret suggested to Emma that she tell Henry the truth. One of my friends said Henry's probably a product of an affair. For me, considering how upset Emma seemed, coupled with the fact she was a mess (getting arrested) after giving Henry up for adoption, I think Henry's a product of something worse. Maybe a rape. It would make sense since she's got a lot of trust issues.

In any case, there are a lot of things that the writers could do with his character. I think right now, they're focussing on a few main plot lines and introducing a lot of characters still. Maybe next year they'll start using Henry's character more.
    Edited on 04/01/2012 10:43pm