Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Just started watching is the whole season the same thing?

showinuse9

[1]Jul 20, 2012
    • level: 11

i just finished the first 5 episodes. I thought I would like it more. I mean I thought the first episode was good but so far its boring and doesn't really have that disney magic. It seems more like it's making fun of fairy tales or something. And snow white in the other world i really don't like. Then SPOILER AT THIS POINT SPOILER AT THIS POINT (when the black fairy godmother dies cinderellas like pssst forget you it doesnt matter if you dead. Was this racist? idk) END OF SPOILER END OF SPOILER.

anyway just wondering if it gets better cause I'm not sure i want to keep watching. I mean it's an ok premise but it doesn't feel great. And the fact that snow white is like that kind of annoys me just like it annoyed me with the movie. someone supposed to be fairest is a coniving stuck up self centered jerk. Just like in the movie who was totally all about murdering people. How can you be a murderer and be fairest? anyway idk this was kind of a random ramble. I see potential but I want to know if it lives up to it or if it gonna be like this the whole tiime thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dracomom

[2]Jul 21, 2012
    • level: 5

A lot depends on what you expected. Most of the longtime(?) viewers like the badass Snow. The poking fun at much of the Disney canon gives those who love those classic versions an in-joke to watch for (there's a section on the ABC show page for people to note their references) And the writers tend to bring in darker stuff, more like the Brothers Grimm (or "Tales from the Sisters Grimmer", a Tanith Lee collection I grew up with)

If you want hearts and flowers and happy endings, we ain't there yet. And the storyline between Mary Margaret (Snow) and David (Charming) in Storybrooke gets pretty pathetic at times, imo. But the dynamic between Emma and Regina, not to mention the mysterious Mr Gold- my cup of tea! I actually like the idea that fairytale characters can go beyond their prescribed roles.

Take a look at the online resources, and give the show another chance. It's possible that if you had watched week by week, it would have drawn you in, which having all the episodes on tape may not. But if you hated "LOST" you may want to get out now- there are as many references to it as Disney!

showinuse9

[3]Jul 21, 2012
    • level: 11
    i dont want "hearts and flowers" definately not I just think it could be more creative and inventive. Im now on episode 13 and I agree with you Mr Gold/ Rumplestiltskin is the glue of the show. just saw the beauty and the beast episode which is the one i really liked. His 2 episodes so far have been best in my opinion. I TOTALLY agree with the storybrooke snow and charming. I just don't like them that much. I think its because prince charming doesn't really have a watchable face. He kind of just blends in. I'm not saying ugly or anything but Snow I think is SOOOOO hot with the short hair whereas he is just kind of ehhh. And I dont get why he said he would work on his marriage AND try to be with mary. I just think it could be less boring at times. Like I don't think anything big has really happened. And I'm not sure if I like the mayor but at the same time I dont hate her. In my opinion I think casting could be better I don't really like the people cast for quite a few characters I noticed.

Also I did watch lost i loved the first couple seasons when it was all about the characters. but once everything changed to being more about the dharma inititive and they got splintered and divided i was kinda bummed. I think the writers of later seasons of Lost didn't really write the characters all that well and I think the same thing with once upon a time BUT i see potential I just want more creativity to the stories I guess BUT i love easter eggs and small references in shows so Ill try to check for those more.

Either way I think I'm going to go with it and at least finish the season. I have a few stories I wanna see what they do with

thanks

Dracomom

[4]Jul 22, 2012
    • level: 5

For me, the hook (besides the clothes, I'm a costume geek) was Mr Gold- how much did he know? And when I realized Rumplestiltskin had created the Curse, and then why- it just kept snowballing. Wanting to see where they go with it has probably hooked more people than anything else.

IMO, at least half of the Storybrook vacillating back and forth was put in to increase drama, and to make the viewers throw stuff at the TV. Don't know how much you've read on this board or other forums; but lots of people complained aboutMM/D. Read Lily Sparks' reviews of each episode- her comments are so funny! (she's on this site)

I really enjoyed seeing what theories people devised for the future of the show (some hilariously far off, some very close and sometimes spot-on) from week to week as the season progressed- frequently, the other viewers caught things I'd missed.

Hope you enjoy the ride!