Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Mulan? Seriously?

MatthewRaiche

[1]Oct 19, 2012
    • level: 5

This has to be one of the lamest new characters I've ever seen. Her character is so contrived and overdone that I almost groaned out loud. Do the writers just watch Disney movies for inspiration? It was annoying enough that "Belle" and "Gaston" were in the "Beauty and the Beast" episode.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Trikeboy

[3]Oct 19, 2012
    • level: 2

A lot of OUAT is based on Disney. Princess Aurora, Prince Philip, Malificent, Doc, Sleepy, Grumpy, Sneezy, Happy, Grumpy, Dopey are all names from Disney. The characters existed but not under those names. The dwarves singing Heigh Ho and the Genie being from Agrabah are other examples.

KatieBerling

[4]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 1

Plus, ABC is owned by Disney. Of course they're going to use it!

Yanime

[5]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 1

Also, Mulan is not only a Disney Story but a real 'fairytale' (sort of) in China, and derives from a folks ballade which tells the story in different versions. But Mulan is certainly not only from a Disney Movie.

Kitanishi

[6]Oct 23, 2012
    • level: 9
    Trikeboy wrote:

A lot of OUAT is based on Disney. Princess Aurora, Prince Philip, Malificent, Doc, Sleepy, Grumpy, Sneezy, Happy, Grumpy, Dopey are all names from Disney. The characters existed but not under those names. The dwarves singing Heigh Ho and the Genie being from Agrabah are other examples.

Its not just based on Disney:

AS said in "Hat Trick" theoretically EVERY story that is every created in our world draws inspiration from some parallel reality. So Oz is real as is wonderland, neverland(and Peter Pan is not disney) and thousands of other otherworldly worlds from our fiction. Going by the promos next episode seems to support that since Dr.Whale seems to be
    ***SPOILER***

katpup

[7]Oct 23, 2012
    • level: 4

Have you watched this show before? It's called Once Upon A time. They've pretty much established the fact that they are largely based on Disneyized stories and fairytales. Who exactly would you expect to be in the Beauty and the beast episode, if not Belle?!.

MatthewRaiche

[8]Oct 23, 2012
    That the show derives so much from Disney, rather than the original sources, is annoying wasn't really my point, but that seems to be what everyone wants to run with. My point was that Mulan is a terrible new character. She's poorly acted and contrived.

katpup

[9]Oct 26, 2012

I agree with you on the Mulan front.

Trikeboy

[10]Oct 26, 2012
    • level: 2

Kitanishi wrote:
    Trikeboy wrote:

Its not just based on Disney: AS said in "Hat Trick" theoretically EVERY story that is every created in our world draws inspiration from some parallel reality. So Oz is real as is wonderland, neverland(and Peter Pan is not disney) and thousands of other otherworldly worlds from our fiction. Going by the promos next episode seems to support that since Dr.Whale seems to be
    ***SPOILER***

Oh I know. As far as I'm aware, Disney hasn't done Rumplestiltskin or Little Red Riding Hood yet and they are core characters that are already established in this series.

MatthewRaiche

[11]Oct 27, 2012
    Thank you

artist2929

[12]Nov 6, 2012
    • level: 3

Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies, but you are right about her character on this show. She is definitely the most irritating, unrealistic character they've introduced.

Linley

[13]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 3

Hmmm, I think it entirely depends on how they spin her back story (if shes going to have one). I admit that they have gone a tad overboard with the whole Mulan thing, but i think that shes a good character to have mirroring Aurora, because they're like polar opposites. They couldn't really have had a male warrior accompanying Aurora after Phillips death in the case the "fall in love" scenario would arrise (thus nulling the "true love" idea from the entire series); and is there really any other appropriate female warriors to choose from?

tvaddict_14

[14]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 10
    I love Mulan. I'm waiting on the writers to develop her story a bit more but she's awesome.

Beecharm3r2

[15]Nov 26, 2012
    • level: 8
    Yanime wrote:

Also, Mulan is not only a Disney Story but a real 'fairytale' (sort of) in China, and derives from a folks ballade which tells the story in different versions. But Mulan is certainly not only from a Disney Movie.

Yeah, this is why I was a little insulted by Mulan popping up. First I just kept saying "Seriously?" because it's a big stretch for the show. Secondly, because she was a real person, it just made me think that either the writers didn't do their research, or they think we're all stupid and wouldn't notice. It's like taking someone important like George Washington and just plopping him into the story and saying "yep, just go with it" but then never explaining how in a million years that Real-life person could be in the mythical fairytale land. It was just bizarre.

CiaraPearson

[16]Nov 29, 2012

I don't mind Mulan being there so much, but having her love Prince Philip annoys me. If they want to use the Disney Mulan, they'd better bring out Shang.

kanniballl

[17]Dec 3, 2012
    • level: 18

CiaraPearson wrote:

I don't mind Mulan being there so much, but having her love Prince Philip annoys me. If they want to use the Disney Mulan, they'd better bring out Shang.

Well, is it "love" or is it just loyalty. It's Aurora that has romantic love for Philip.

Mulan, I don't recall if it was ever confirmed that she had romantic feelings, or anything more than fierce loyalty.

Edie70

[18]Jan 20, 2013
    • level: 19
    I agree. She is lame and stale but at least the actress looks cute.

KasenStuff

[19]Jan 21, 2013
    She's not as stupid is adding DR. FRANKENSTEIN. I really hope that was a one off and never go there again. And when are they going to bring on The Little Mermaid?

Edie70

[20]Jan 29, 2013
    • level: 19
    KasenStuff wrote:
    She's not as stupid is adding DR. FRANKENSTEIN. I really hope that was a one off and never go there again. And when are they going to bring on The Little Mermaid?
    You're right, the latest episode with Frankenstein and Whale's past and all was the most boring episode of OUAT ever. I hope they will do a story about Little Mermaid because I'd be curious to see Ursula.