Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: A Land Without Magic (possible spoilers)

kanniballl

[21]May 14, 2012
    • level: 18

watcher1006 wrote:

Mr. Gold/Rump has his Belle back - what more is he after now?

I believe he wants his son back, truly. BUT he also didn't want to give up his power (permanently). So now he can find his son AND have his power. Best of both worlds, as it it was.

RavenFreak120 wrote:
    Can I have someone clarify, please? Just confused. So, now the curse is broken, but now there's magic allowed in Storybrooke? I mean it wouldn't be a restart, or would it? Like... with the smoke and the clock stopping again and Regina smiling... but the curse IS broken? Or not? Aaaah! Sorry!

The curse was broken with the kiss, so it's gone unless Regina casts it again, but that would be tricky. Though the question of why breaking it didn't send everyone back: I imagine that's specifically the way Mr Gold designed it so he could find his son. The curse is no longer ACTIVELY doing anything, but sending everyone back would probably need another spell to ACTIVELY send them there

Magic is allowed back, as Mr Gold wants "Power" again (with a capital-P). The down-side is that Regina has power again as well, hence her smiling at the incoming smoke.

watcher1006 wrote:

I wonder if Henry will be with Emma come next season. Emma may have saved him, but what bearing do the events of the last two episodes have on the custody fight?

It doesn't look to me like Jefferson is any closer to getting his daughter back.

Well, with EVERYONE remembering again I imagine it might be hard for Regina to get her kid back. As it appears the "judicial system" in Storybrooke was in fact filled with Fairy-tale residents. The DA and such were all characters. Now that they remember, I doubt they'd help her.

As for Jefferson... why not? If everyone remembers, then his kid remembers as well. In which case she'd go out and find him.

Remember, the magic "wave" from the kiss spread out across the whole town and it's suggested it affected everyone (Red+Granny, Snow+Charming, etc). So Jefferson's kid remembers her real father, and her parents in THIS reality remember that the kid isn't really there's.

Edited on 05/14/2012 5:27am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[22]May 14, 2012

Kitanishi wrote:

1. Emma and Henry both discuss that they are in storybrooke still.

2. Going to FTL would be counter-productive for Rumple who went out of his way to design the plan to get to this world in the first place.

3. Rumple himself says that he is bringing magic into the world. And Rumple generally knows what he is doing.

Agreed, they are most likely still in Storybrook. My guess is purple-smoke just restored magic to everything: Mr Gold + Regina + Blue Fairy + whatever have their powers back, maybe Jiminy is a Cricket again, etc. Heck, maybe it changed some of the buildings in the FTL counter-parts.

HOWEVER, since everything was enveloped in purple smoke, the writers COULD write it that the smoke returned everyone connected to FairyTale land back to FairyTale land. Including his long-lost son out beyond the borders + Emma + Henry.

The question is: where would Mr Gold want to stay? Back in FTL with his son + powers? Or in the real-world with his son+powers. I'd imagine in the real-world, since his vast powers are even more handy in a world without magic (or just recently gained magic).

Here == 7billion potential contract-customers, all of which are COMPLETELY clueless to how foolish it is to make a deal with him.

Edited on 05/14/2012 5:38am
    Edited 2 total times.

kanniballl

[23]May 14, 2012

DocKev wrote:

However, I'm having my first "hmmmm, does this make sense" moment for the series. And that is the existence of Maleficent existing as a dragon beneath Storybrooke. How did this happen? By magic? If so, I thought there was no magic in Storybrooke, and Regina said last episode that all the magic she brought to Storybrooke had been used up (admittedly, the dragon wouldn't have fit into Jefferson's hat anyways). If the dragon was somehow turned into a living, non-magic creature, how did it survive under there? Do dragons need to eat to survive? Also, Regina mentioned that SHE somehow managed to keep Maleficent in a form Maleficent wasn't happy with.....but how was this accomplished?

Probably the same way Pinnochio was still a "real boy" until he recently started reverting. Regina probably cursed Maleficent just before the curse was cast (successfully this time). The transformation curses prior to the switch-over were probably hit-or-miss (Jiminey == no, Maleficent == yes). Though perhaps had enough time passed, Maleficent would've started to revert just like Pinnochio.

Or perhaps Regina cursed her after they arrived: recall that there wasn't zeromagic in Storybrooke... just whatever Regina and Mr Gold took with them. So probably not a lot, and by 28 years later whatever they brought was either mostly used up or faded. Perhaps she saved a special fire-ball for Malificent after they arrived.

beaniebecky19

[24]May 14, 2012
    • level: 10
    Kitanishi wrote:
    beaniebecky19 wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    rstandish wrote:

-How Snow and Charming will treat Emma now that they remember she's their daughter.

-I'm wondering what FTL will look like or if everyone will dress the way they used to.

-Will Emma stay in FTL? Or will she take Henry with her to the real world.

FOr the last friggin time.

THEY ARE NOT IN FTL. Why do people think they are in FTL....they are still in Storybrooke.

UUMMMM how do you know that they are in Storeybrooke!!! all we see is the giant purple cloud surround the town, which could very well take them back to FTL. do say they are not somewhere when you dont know for sure we wont know till the next season airs. i would like to think they they are all going back to FTL because as Mr Gold/ Rumplestiltskin said magic in the real world is unpredictable so why would he bring magic there if he cant be sure of the effect it will have.

1. Emma and Henry both discuss that they are in storybrooke still.

2. Going to FTL would be counter-productive for Rumple who went out of his way to design the plan to get to this world in the first place.

3. Rumple himself says that he is bringing magic into the world. And Rumple generally knows what he is doing.

Henry and Emma's talk about. It being in FTL happened BEFORE the giant purple cloud, and perhaps a side effect of taking all the FT characters back to FTL is that it takes ALL the FT characters back even ones that didn't arrive in the original curse. Rumple created the curse and all the side effects of it, such as it breaks if Emma dies etc etc so another side effect could be that baelfire is returned once the curse is broken or once rumple uses the 'True Love' potion to restore everything

SpartXen

[25]May 14, 2012
    • level: 4
    kanniballl wrote:

DocKev wrote:

However, I'm having my first "hmmmm, does this make sense" moment for the series. And that is the existence of Maleficent existing as a dragon beneath Storybrooke. How did this happen? By magic? If so, I thought there was no magic in Storybrooke, and Regina said last episode that all the magic she brought to Storybrooke had been used up (admittedly, the dragon wouldn't have fit into Jefferson's hat anyways). If the dragon was somehow turned into a living, non-magic creature, how did it survive under there? Do dragons need to eat to survive? Also, Regina mentioned that SHE somehow managed to keep Maleficent in a form Maleficent wasn't happy with.....but how was this accomplished?

Probably the same way Pinnochio was still a "real boy" until he recently started reverting. Regina probably cursed Maleficent just before the curse was cast (successfully this time). The transformation curses prior to the switch-over were probably hit-or-miss (Jiminey == no, Maleficent == yes). Though perhaps had enough time passed, Maleficent would've started to revert just like Pinnochio.

Or perhaps Regina cursed her after they arrived: recall that there wasn't zeromagic in Storybrooke... just whatever Regina and Mr Gold took with them. So probably not a lot, and by 28 years later whatever they brought was either mostly used up or faded. Perhaps she saved a special fire-ball for Malificent after they arrived.

This has actually all been explained quite thoroughly in the last couple episodes. Regina said no magic exists in SB except what she brought with her. So Maleficent can stay in dragon form because she came to SB that way. As for how Regina turned her into a dragon, Regina CREATED SB. We saw confirmation of that in 'An Apple Red as Blood' when Jefferson was talking to her about changing his daughter's name, and writing them a new story. Regina has control over the curse and exactly how it affects everyone, and she created all of their false identities. She made Jiminy human because his happy ending was being a cricket. She made Maleficent a dragon either because she was mad at her or she just wanted the power that came with secretly stashing a dragon below SB. And as for the dragon needing to eat, I think we're supposed to assume the dragon has just been asleep all this time. Notice that it woke up when Emma touched it? Plus there was a line last episode, Archie said "In many ways your arrival has woken a sleeping dragon". So Maleficent has just been sort of hibernating since she got to SB.

watcher1006

[26]May 14, 2012

Once again, we were shown that Regina was smiling to see the cloud of purple vapor. Come next season I wonder how much control Rump/Mr. Gold will have of what he has unleashed.

I do hope to see more of Belle.

lizdax

[27]May 14, 2012
    • level: 1

I loved the finale. I wonder though if bringing magic will be able to give magic to non-FTL people (Real world people). It would certainly give the writers a chance to add more characters every nowand then. Which I am not sure I would like, I am very attached to the traditional Fairy tale charaters and theirstories with the overall story arch of the show.

poulters

[28]May 14, 2012

That episode was awsome I cant wait to see snow white and prince charming meet their daughter and grandson. The queen will have her magic back but yet they are still stuck in our time. And all the great things that can happen like the blue fairies havent showed up yet, and who were the staff at the hospital they all knew who the queen was but what fairytale characters were they.

loey12886

[29]May 14, 2012
    This season finale was so amazing

I was crying when Henry died and Emma said she loved him. I cried when Snow and Charming remembered who they were and reunited. I was scared that when MM told David to leave and when he left I was like "no come back" and they I was happy that they remembered who they were and went back to each other.

I can't wait for the next season seeing how Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin is bring magic back to the real world. I do wonder if they will ever get back to the enchanted forest again or now that Emma broke the curse if Henry will decided he doesn't want to go home to Regina anymore. I wish Henry and Emma will be a family like their meant to be.

Edie70

[30]May 14, 2012
    • level: 19
    I really hope for some life-changing season premiere in September see ya all then.

JoshSutton

[31]May 14, 2012
    • level: 15
    SO excited for season 2. This show is just about to get even more anazing amazing, i feel.

Dracomom

[32]May 14, 2012
    • level: 5

Thoughts, in random order:

1) Magic in Storybrooke is unpredictable- perhaps Maleficient turned herself into a dragon when she arrived, and couldn't change back (ran out of magic)? or perhaps Rumplestiltskin's egg reacted with whatever Regina did? It's possible that gold shields magic like lead shields nuclear reactors, which argues against the interaction theory, but might explain why Rumplestiltskin kept spinning all that straw! I doubt Regina knew about the golden egg, or she might have tried to get it.

2) Emma never kissed Henry until she thought he was dead- almost exact mirroring of the Snow/Charming reawakening, very nicely done!

3) Did Mr Gold guess that Regina would try the apple again? When he was telling Regina about planing a trip, he practically announced that the Curse was going to be broken. And he told Regina to get out ofStoreybrooke before the townspeople started remembering. So I'm thinking he expected her to panic- but maybe he was just giving her a chance to bail and make things easy for Emma.

4) Definitely agree that Mr Gold would do better in "real" world than FTL- P.T. Barnum famously said than one could never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. And contract lawyers have so much scope - land of opportunity!

5) Rumplestiltskin may have been the only one who really understood how much power "true love" can generate, before Charming kissed Snow; but there had to be some reason that it was Charming and Snow who produced Emma. (Remeber when Snow got the forgetting potion? Rumplestiltskin says then, "You really are the fairest of them all.") Makes me wonder whether Regina might have tried to eliminate Snow before she and Charming got together (precluding the chance of a savior being born?) And maybe Regina got bad/unclear directions to initiate the Dark Curse so there's be time to ensure Emma was concieved well before the Curse took effect? "Cause the 28-year stasis of the Curse would have left Snow pregnant like Cinderella otherwise.

6) The pulse of power which sweptStorybrooke may reverberate awhile- it will be interesting to see whether magic chooses to behave by FTL rules here, or if it's even less predictable than efore. Like starting a chain reaction- you don't know for sure what you're going to get until it's completed!

Travelover

[33]May 14, 2012

Newbie here. I've been following the postings here for several months. I felt compelled to offer my 2 cents.

I think it's a FABULOUS show. The acting is SUPERB, the costumes and settings are beautiful the special effects are AMAZING.

And last night's season ending was without a doubt the VERY BEST of the BEST. EVERY cast member delivered outstanding, powerful and often heartbreaking performances.

When Emma FINALLY realized her true heritage and what Regina had done - the look on her face - the rage - absolutely PRICELESS - the confrontation between the two women fantastic. And Henry's "death" scene - I was in tears! The entire episode had my husband and I on the edge of our seats.

In "fantasy land" Snow had told Charming they had to "take back the kingdom" - and they'll have to fight for it. And NOW they'll have to do it where they are STILL trapped. So I think we'll still see a lot of back and forth between the two "lands", and battles. Emma's parents will also have to come to grips with the fact that their "baby" is an ADULT - and very close in age to themselves LOL - and that they have a grandchild.

I have a theory. One MAIN character is STILL missing - Rumplestiltskin's son. And I have a feeling HE is Henry's father. The show is about "choices" and TRUE LOVE - love conquering all. And I think THAT will play a MAJOR role in resolving the current situation which followed Emma breaking the curse. I think Rumple's son was extremely hurt when his father chose magic instead of "love" - and perhaps that might have had an impact on the son's life. Perhaps he didn't want to be hurt anymore - and if and when when he met Emma (he doesn't know who she is) he may not have wanted to put his heart "out there" again. At THIS point, I think HE holds the final ending to the story. I think it's having HIM and Emma and Henry "reconciling" - finding love and a happy ending.

And I think Rumple will have to do a great deal of learning and growing too - he's going to be given ANOTHER opportunity to make a "choice" - what will he do.?

Should be VERY interesting to see what happens to Regina - IF she finally learns and grows and has a happy ending OR meets a terrible end. Can't wait for the new season!

rstandish

[34]May 14, 2012
    Kitanishi wrote:
    rstandish wrote:

-How Snow and Charming will treat Emma now that they remember she's their daughter.

-I'm wondering what FTL will look like or if everyone will dress the way they used to.

-Will Emma stay in FTL? Or will she take Henry with her to the real world.

FOr the last friggin time.

THEY ARE NOT IN FTL. Why do people think they are in FTL....they are still in Storybrooke.

I don't remember reading anywhere that they weren't. I kind of assumed the purple cloud would turn everything back to the way it used to be. Sorry.

JonathonWolf

[35]May 14, 2012
    poulters wrote:

That episode was awsome I cant wait to see snow white and prince charming meet their daughter and grandson. The queen will have her magic back but yet they are still stuck in our time. And all the great things that can happen like the blue fairies havent showed up yet, and who were the staff at the hospital they all knew who the queen was but what fairytale characters were they.

The woman that told Regina she should run was Blue Fairy. Not sure who Dr. Whale is supposed to be. Also, the clock didn't stop when the mist hit; it move. I swear it moved to 8:15, but that's what it moved to when Emma decided to stay in Storybrooke.

DocKev

[36]May 14, 2012
    • level: 3
    SpartXen wrote:
    kanniballl wrote:

DocKev wrote:

This has actually all been explained quite thoroughly in the last couple episodes. Regina said no magic exists in SB except what she brought with her. So Maleficent can stay in dragon form because she came to SB that way. As for how Regina turned her into a dragon, Regina CREATED SB. We saw confirmation of that in 'An Apple Red as Blood' when Jefferson was talking to her about changing his daughter's name, and writing them a new story. Regina has control over the curse and exactly how it affects everyone, and she created all of their false identities. She made Jiminy human because his happy ending was being a cricket. She made Maleficent a dragon either because she was mad at her or she just wanted the power that came with secretly stashing a dragon below SB. And as for the dragon needing to eat, I think we're supposed to assume the dragon has just been asleep all this time. Notice that it woke up when Emma touched it? Plus there was a line last episode, Archie said "In many ways your arrival has woken a sleeping dragon". So Maleficent has just been sort of hibernating since she got to SB.

Thanks SpartXen. Your response helped to clarify some things for me, and made me go back to episode 2 to check on some things. Rumplestiltskin (RSS) did ask Regina to allow him to live in luxury (as well as make Regina do his bidding if he said "please") in the new land for the secret to conjuring the curse. So Regina did have control on how the "new land" was to be shaped. But I also think I now understand why RSS gave the curse to Regina in the first place. I've believed the curse was made so that RSS could enter our world to look for his son Bael. But he could not use it, because he had no access to "the heart of the one you love the most". For RSS, that would be Bael or Belle, and neither was around (or so RSS believed). He needed someone who had both the magic & the heart of a beloved person to enact the curse. Regina was the perfect patsy, as her need for revenge made her crazy enough to use the curse, and she had access to her father's heart. Of course, this theory would require that Bael is somewhere in our world.

EdmundAllen

[37]May 14, 2012
    • level: 4

its all in sb with the possibility of no flashbacks to ftl. mr gold/rumpelstiltskin said its restores whats once lost. that would mean his son and magic. season 2 will probably see a 3way battle for control of sb between gold, regina, and swann/snow/charming. it would be great if the 1st few eps of season 2 see august reunited with his father and Jiminy Cricket. emma, henry, snow and charming reuniting.

will archie return to being a cricket? will sidney return to being the magic mirror?

i hope they explore more of the other fairytale worlds like they did with the mad hatter since magic has returned.

dockev baelfire is in the sb world since baelfire made a deal with the fairies to send them to a place where no magic exist which is sb. season 2 will have gold looking for his son while trying to gain control of sb.

Edited on 05/14/2012 5:15pm

DocKev

[38]May 14, 2012
    • level: 3
    EdmundAllen wrote:

its all in sb with the possibility of no flashbacks to ftl. mr gold/rumpelstiltskin said its restores whats once lost. that would mean his son and magic. season 2 will probably see a 3way battle for control of sb between gold, regina, and swann/snow/charming. it would be great if the 1st few eps of season 2 see august reunited with his father and Jiminy Cricket. emma, henry, snow and charming reuniting.

will archie return to being a cricket? will sidney return to being the magic mirror?

i hope they explore more of the other fairytale worlds like they did with the mad hatter since magic has returned.

dockev baelfire is in the sb world since baelfire made a deal with the fairies to send them to a place where no magic exist which is sb. season 2 will have gold looking for his son while trying to gain control of sb.

While I do believe that Bael is in our/Storybrooke world, I always remind myself that these ARE the same writers who wrote Lost. Who knows, Bael could have been sent to a different place where no magic exists.... the moon, the parallel universe of Fringe, the matrix.....who knows what they might come up with!

rstandish

[39]May 15, 2012

Did anyone else get a little emotional when Snow and Charming remembered each other? Or was that just me?

Dracomom

[40]May 15, 2012
    • level: 5

I was cheering when David yelled "SNOW!" Not least because David has been such a jerk!

Bae is still around somewhere- Rumplestiltskin is going to be looking for him in Season 2. I wonder whether Pinocchio might have run across him while he was travelling the world? Seems a logical place to start asking questions...

On the whole "needing the heart of a loved one to cast the Curse" angle- might Rumplestiltskin have kicked Belle out of his castle because he didn't want to fall in love with her? If he did fall in love, then he'd have to resist the temptation to use her heart to break the Curse...Or it could be that he hadn't finished creating the Curse yet, andneeded his power to ensure he'd find his son again?

Then too, the whole business of yelling at the mirror- Rumplestiltskin was right about Reginabeing involved, just wrong about how. But more importantly, WHY? If it was before the Curse was cast, it would be foolish for Regina to undermine Rumplestiltskin's power- then she wouldn't get the Curse! But if it was after, what would Regina gain?

I can see that if Rumplestiltskindid havea true love that Regina would be pissed. She may have hoped to get him for herself; who knows? And Regina seems to feel that if she can't have a true love, then no-one else is going to have one either! (I'd still like to see Sydney get lucky- he's so in love with her it hurts to watch him- but that's not likely until he gets out of the bin)