Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: A Land Without Magic (possible spoilers)

Kitanishi

[61]May 25, 2012
    • level: 9
    AchMiller wrote:

In the season finale, Rumple told Regina and Emma that when the original dark curse in Fairy world was made, he took just ONE DROP of the potion and placed it on the parchment (The scroll Regina read from). Did we all noticed that when the same curse was used in Fairy World the color of the smoke was black and dark?? But on Earth/Storybrooke it's purple. Is it purple because magic on earth is unpredictable (like Regina said), or is it because it depends on the users intentions. hmmm???

Why Rumple didn't have to sacrifice Belle on Earth for the curse/magic to work? Because he used the whole bottle. In Fairy World , the curse (parchment/scroll) had only one drop which is the reason I believe she had to sacrifice her father.

Oh my god, AM I ONLY ONE ACTUALLY WATCHING THE SHOW?

That was NOT the curse. That was MAGIC. Gold outright states that he is bringing MAGIC into this world through the properties of the well combined with true love potion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SpartXen

[62]May 25, 2012
    • level: 4
    Kitanishi wrote:
    AchMiller wrote:

In the season finale, Rumple told Regina and Emma that when the original dark curse in Fairy world was made, he took just ONE DROP of the potion and placed it on the parchment (The scroll Regina read from). Did we all noticed that when the same curse was used in Fairy World the color of the smoke was black and dark?? But on Earth/Storybrooke it's purple. Is it purple because magic on earth is unpredictable (like Regina said), or is it because it depends on the users intentions. hmmm???

Why Rumple didn't have to sacrifice Belle on Earth for the curse/magic to work? Because he used the whole bottle. In Fairy World , the curse (parchment/scroll) had only one drop which is the reason I believe she had to sacrifice her father.

That was NOT the curse. That was MAGIC. Gold outright states that he is bringing MAGIC into this world through the properties of the well combined with true love potion.

Lmao Kitanishi, I understand your frustration. FYI, the smoke of the curse was green. Lana Parrilla apparently said in an interview recently (wish I could remember where I read this but I can't at the moment) that they originally intended the smoke of the finale the be green as well, to bring the whole season full circle, but they decided purple was more 'magical' and that's the effect they were going for so they changed it to purple. Just fun factoid for ya.

Kitanishi

[63]May 25, 2012
    • level: 9
    SpartXen wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    AchMiller wrote:

Lmao Kitanishi, I understand your frustration. FYI, the smoke of the curse was green. Lana Parrilla apparently said in an interview recently (wish I could remember where I read this but I can't at the moment) that they originally intended the smoke of the finale the be green as well, to bring the whole season full circle, but they decided purple was more 'magical' and that's the effect they were going for so they changed it to purple. Just fun factoid for ya.

Well obviously, since making the magic return green would cause even more confusion for people, somehow thinking that its a new curse. the stuff that came out being in same color as magic smoke has been through the season(since its magic "overwhelming" the place/world) makes a lot more sense and helps to avoid confusion.

angeleys151

[64]May 25, 2012
    • level: 6
    Kitanishi wrote:
    SpartXen wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    AchMiller wrote:

Well obviously, since making the magic return green would cause even more confusion for people, somehow thinking that its a new curse. the stuff that came out being in same color as magic smoke has been through the season(since its magic "overwhelming" the place/world) makes a lot more sense and helps to avoid confusion.

I too get the frustration as I had thought it was obviously Magic and not The Curse coming through but then fans who made the most apt predictions for the show said we shouldn't take that for granted. And knowing the writers they really could do what ever they want and make it work, so I'm not counting my dwarf eggs before they hatch

SpartXen

[65]May 25, 2012
    It's still impossible to say that the curse is 100% broken anyway. If it's broken, why are they still in SB, and more importantly why are creatures like the blue fairy, jiminy cricket and even Rumple all still completely human? It's possible there are still remnants of the curse left, or maybe they needed magic to transform back, or maybe the curse was just designed (this is my theory) so that when it's broken it DOESN'T take them back to FTL, since Rumple created it to find his son. Whatever the possibilities, we don't really know yet, but I think the writers have demonstrated quite clearly this season that everything is stated quite clearly (characters feelings, intentions, etc.), so I think Rumple's 'Magic is coming' line is pretty solid proof that what he's bringing back is magic, NOT another curse.

Dracomom

[66]May 25, 2012
    • level: 5

I have been asking all along WHY Mr Gold would ever want to go back to FTL- Storybrooke's world offers more scope for his innate talents ("Let's make a Deal", anyone?) as well as freedom from the Dark Curse (to some degree). Now that Belle is in Storybrooke, and he's in the world bae supposedly came to, he has no need to go back- especially if he has access to some magic!

Same logic would apply to Regina if I thought she could give up the "Queen" aspect. Storybrooke is Henry's birthplace,but she doesn't want to share him with Emma- maybe in FTL she could keep him to herself? Henry would want to go to FTL anyway...

Snow and Charming, being heroic, will of course return to rescue the folks remaining in FTL from the Ogres (they must have trashed the place by now) and Regina's evil cohorts. But I don't think Emma could manage to live without blowdryers and hot showers, so even if she visits she's not going to move in permanently.

Thomas and Ella might enjoy being royalty again; so mght Kathryn and Fred. But I'm betting Red likes clubbing (nonwolfen!) too much to stay in FTL, even if Granny goes back. Sydney has little incentive to go back unless Regina somehow reciprocates his infatuation- I'd like to see a triangle with him, Regina and Maleficient (if she is able to reconstitute somehow through the return of magic) or Jefferson (if he's not chasing Emma).

Many of Storybrooke's residents will say they want to go home- but how are they going to figure out where home is, let alone get there? The one person most likely to have these answers is also the one least likely to answer the questions (he's taking a trip, remember? probably with his favorite girl, which means we won't even get to watch them make kissy faces at each other! Ripoff!)

Regina may have some or all of the answers as well, but she doesn't share well with others...

The Blue Fairy/Mother Superior is the third reliable source of information; but we know even less about her motives than the other two. So no bets here. Although since she gave Bae the very last magic bean, she could be held responsible for Storybrooke coming into existence...Wanna bet her agenda has something to do with restoring the magic of FTL? (Last bean, last enchanted tree in the forest, etc)

SpartXen

[67]May 26, 2012
    Yeah, I'm definitely wondering about the Blue Fairy and the whole 'FTL losing its magic' theory. Would love to see the show go down this road. I gotta say, though, with magic coming back to SB, the writers have made it pretty easy for everyone to go back. Just call up Jefferson and get him to make you a magic hat. Problem solved, right? So I'm guessing there's gonna be some kinda big catch in season 2 that either makes it impossible for them to go home, or makes the place such a mess that most of them don't WANT to go home. One thing I'm really curious to find out in season 2 is if everyone is going to change back to their previous sevles (ie. Archie becoming a cricket, Blue Fairy becoming a fairy again, etc.) now that magic is restored. We know breaking the curse didn't restore them, since we saw both Archie and Mother Superior regain their memories without transforming, but maybe magic will change them? Or maybe it won't be automatic and they'll have to use the magic to change themselves? Again, can't wait to see where this goes in season 2. So many possible avenues for the writers to take, I really hope they take advantage of the opportunities they've given themselves. Season 1 felt sort of formulaic, which totally makes sense if they're heading towards a wider vision; they needed to set all the pieces in place. I just hope in season 2 we can start working towards that vision and really get the kind of storytelling these guys of supposedly known for. And please, fix the effing dialogue! lol

Dracomom

[68]May 26, 2012

If the Ogres have taken over, it's a war zone; not likely noncombatants are going to head back right away. (Maybe the Ogres trashed the magical plants in the first place? or maybe magical plants need special magical fertilizer?)

My guess is that Archie's going to be busy helping folks figure out what happened for the first 10-12 episodes; that should give us plenty of insight into who's who. Given the hints we've gotten so far, we'll see some previously unmentioned FTL storylines as well as some amplification of our favorites- I want to see Grumpy's arrest, Stealthy's backstory, and more of Belle's adventures after Rumplestiltskin kicked her out (that assumes the scene in "Dreamy" is post-kiss, and that Regina's version of events as told to Rumplestiltskin in "Skin Deep"is a fabrication)

I hope that we'll see magic run amok in Storybrooke- mages may find the recently acquired magic isn't quite predictable! Plus, how much is there? How much dissipates beyond the boundaries of Storybrooke, possibly attracting the notice of outsiders? And how do the townsfolk feel about the return of magic, considering that the Curse brought them here? Will people remember that Emma was supposed to save them, or will they blame her for their current situation?

Will Henry be hailed as a herald of their fairy tale existence, or reviled as Regina's son? or totally ignored by his classmates, since they never really paid him much attention anyway? And how is Emma going to handle being "mom"- homework, chores, bedtime, etc? Will Snow continue teaching until the school year finishes? ("Okay, kids, this is how you load a crossbow...") Is Charming going to apologize for his stupidity (possibly even redeeming his past mistakes as David), or does Regina really have his brain in her locker? And will Kathryn get her heart (and her deposit on the Boston apartment) back?

All these questions and more will be answered- eventually. I HATE WAITING!!!

jellymic98

[69]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 1

It's so funny to compare Lost and Once upon a time even they're both so similar and different at the same time. But when you think about Lost's first season it's quit same as Once upon a time's because first in this episode (A land without magic) it all seemed to go well exactly like in lost, but in the and there got quite similar problem as in lost so I hope it's going to continue in next season like in Lost : every season is better than the other one And tho Lost is still one of the bestTV-shows that I ever have seen.

And I'm sorry if I put this thought under wrong topic. And sorry about bad spelling.

Burlgirl

[70]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 1
    I recently bought the first season from iTunes and have been frantically catching up. Just finished the last episode of season one. Gold said when he dropped the true love potion in the well that it would bring back that which was lost. I thought he meant FTL, but could he have meant Bae?

Dracomom

[71]Sep 30, 2012

I don't think Bae will come home like it's Thanksgiving- he's got to have some questions about dear old Dad and his motives, after all this time. Unless you hold with the folks who think the Curse travelled in time as well, to arrive before Bae did...

My personal bet is that Bae may not want to go back to FTL if he's built a decent life here. And I dream of the ways the rest of Storybrooke's world would react to the influx of magic. Bae might want to stay away from Storybrooke because of the magic- I think different colors of smoke advertise different strains (flavors?) of magic, but it might be hard to tell one from another until you try to use them.