Once Upon a Time Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: An Apple Red as Blood (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 5, 2012
    • level: 103

Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/6/12 episode "An Apple Red as Blood" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    Edited on 05/05/2012 7:50pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SpartXen

[2]May 6, 2012
    • level: 4
    First 8 minutes online at spoilertv.com
    That being said, somebody please hand Lana Parrilla and Robert Caryle their Emmys right now. If these two don't at least get recognized this year I give up on the Emmy because their scenes are SPECTACULAR. Can't wait to see the rest of this. Just over 2 hours for me *shaking with excitement*

Kitanishi

[3]May 6, 2012
    • level: 9

Another GREAT episode.

- Just as I guessed, Emma's buildup is the "restricted" kind of. Not even once she did deny the existence of it all verbally in the episode and henry falling down in the end of the episode was the event that starts the avalanche.

- Snow's castle attack was awesome. Now I am even more convinced that Blue Fairy is behind it all since she participated in pretty much every major event, just as Rumple did.

- Speaking of which, its nice to have confirmation that he wants something that will happen once curse breaks. i wonder on what the hell is it.

I am guessing that in the end, regina's love for henry might triumph and the twist will be that she will allow emma to break the curse to save Henry. And in the end Gold gets what he wants....as its obviously something he set up that requires curse to break to happen.

watcher1006

[4]May 6, 2012
    • level: 10

Kitanishi wrote:

I am guessing that in the end, regina's love for henry might triumph and the twist will be that she will allow emma to break the curse to save Henry. And in the end Gold gets what he wants....as its obviously something he set up that requires curse to break to happen.

I've always thought that Regina loved Henry, Evil Queen though she may be.

Disappointing to see August give up and resign from Operation Cobra.

I wonder if it's been apparent that Regina has known all along that Emma is the curse-breaker. And what, pray tell, does Mr. Gold want?

DocKev

[5]May 6, 2012
    • level: 3
    Kitanishi wrote:

Another GREAT episode.

- Speaking of which, its nice to have confirmation that he wants something that will happen once curse breaks. i wonder on what the hell is it.

Definitely another great episode, and with many questions to be answered with only 1 episode left this season. I'll take a stab about what Mr. Gold is after..... he needs the curse broken so he can leave Storybrooke to go and look for his son. He mentioned he was planning a trip. With the curse intact, he cannot leave the town, and the whole point of making the curse in the first place was to search for his son. Since Emma was transported into this world outside of Storybrooke, it wouldn't surprise me if Bael ended up outside of Storybrooke as well. With the curse broken, his search for Bael can begin. I've seen on this forum some questions about the timing of Bael's "transport", and how old he should be, but I'm not sure how the writers would figure that out.

A second observation about this episode.....is Henry eating the apple the writer's solution to the "kid" problem they had in Lost? They actually had to let the actor who played Walt go after 2 seasons because of the obvious aging problem over the course of the series. Now that OUAT is a success, and the writers probably guessing they have to write for a few more years, putting Henry in a coma avoids the future problem of "Hey, the shows been going on for 4 years now, but the story has only progressed over a few months in the plot, but Henry has grown 8 inches"! Now they can leave him in a coma until the series ends, he'll have grown up, but presumably they'll be back in fairytale land where his growth can be explained by magic. Just a thought.

Kitanishi

[6]May 7, 2012
    DocKev wrote:

Definitely another great episode, and with many questions to be answered with only 1 episode left this season. I'll take a stab about what Mr. Gold is after..... he needs the curse broken so he can leave Storybrooke to go and look for his son. He mentioned he was planning a trip. With the curse intact, he cannot leave the town, and the whole point of making the curse in the first place was to search for his son. Since Emma was transported into this world outside of Storybrooke, it wouldn't surprise me if Bael ended up outside of Storybrooke as well. With the curse broken, his search for Bael can begin. I've seen on this forum some questions about the timing of Bael's "transport", and how old he should be, but I'm not sure how the writers would figure that out.

For one, I doubt the "no happy endings" applies to Regina and Gold. it would be counter-intuitive and both of them have their memories and their power is only limited by the magic supply too. Also Gold did get Henry at some point, so i guess he can leave the town.

My guess is that BREAKING the curse in certain way will kickstart something else he has set up in the curse (hence why he does not just kill Emma to break it). A the same time, then he will be able to get the favor Emma owes him as not only Emma will supposedly be powerful enough for whatever the favor is, but Gold himself will most likely have regained his ability to enforce magical deals, just like in FTL.

GabrielaFab

[7]May 7, 2012
    • level: 2

I have a crazy idea....what if Bae is Henry's dad ??

Adokensan

[8]May 7, 2012
    • level: 10
    Wow, GREAT episode, loved the ending. But i have one question: in the scene where Regina talks to Rumpeltiltskin, she says that Emma is leaving town, so Regna "won" over Rumpeltiltskin. She also mentioned that she was going to poison Emma. So... why didn't Rumpeltiltskin just CALL Emma and told her what was going on? (With the poison and the Curse in general) If Rumpeltiltskin didn't need Regina anymore, because she said she wasn't going to break the curse for him anymore, he had nothing to lose? Right?

angeleys151

[9]May 7, 2012
    • level: 6

GabrielaFab wrote:

Everyone keeps saying that but I don't know if I buy it. It's just too neat. The writers might as well put a bow around it and stick it under our Christmas trees. Too many coincidences would have to be in play for that.

Great episode! I don't often do the "I knew it dance" but I was doing it when the bit at the beginning was made obviously a dream. I've been thinking that for weeks.

Did anyone else feel their jaw drop when Regina wanted Jefferson to bring her son back from FTL? Raised way more questions than it answered. Who's the father? (we have a decent pool size: Snow's father, Daniel, Grahm, Sidney) How old is he? Why did he get left behind? Did she think Henry was her son and that's why she adopted him in the first place? Does she see Henry as a surrogate and that's why she loves him but only in a limited way? Does she love Henry in a limited way?

How did Jefferson come back? Or rather where did he go after the fall? I just assumed he went through the hat but apparently not. Did Regina bring only him through from Wonderland(when she originallycast the curse)? The way she said "brought you here" made it sound like she chose him specifically. If she left her son behind that would lend itself to the idea that she picked and chose who she brought though. In that case why him? So that if she needed to go back (like she did here) she would be able to? Or is it more than that?

And about Emma being killed breaks the curse: Is that only if Regina kill Emma or if Regina kills anyone? It can't be the later because Regina killed Grahm right? If Emma dies accidentally does the curse break? If MM kills Emma (which I think she was close to doing when she was yelling 'cause Emma tried to skip town) would that break the curse? WillEmmahave to sacrifice herself in the end to break the curse?

Too many questions, my head is going to explode.

Kitanishi

[10]May 7, 2012
    angeleys151 wrote:

GabrielaFab wrote:

Everyone keeps saying that but I don't know if I buy it. It's just too neat. The writers might as well put a bow around it and stick it under our Christmas trees. Too many coincidences would have to be in play for that.

Great episode! I don't often do the "I knew it dance" but I was doing it when the bit at the beginning was made obviously a dream. I've been thinking that for weeks.

Did anyone else feel their jaw drop when Regina wanted Jefferson to bring her son back from FTL? Raised way more questions than it answered. Who's the father? (we have a decent pool size: Snow's father, Daniel, Grahm, Sidney) How old is he? Why did he get left behind? Did she think Henry was her son and that's why she adopted him in the first place? Does she see Henry as a surrogate and that's why she loves him but only in a limited way? Does she love Henry in a limited way?

How did Jefferson come back? Or rather where did he go after the fall? I just assumed he went through the hat but apparently not. Did Regina bring only him through from Wonderland(when she originallycast the curse)? The way she said "brought you here" made it sound like she chose him specifically. If she left her son behind that would lend itself to the idea that she picked and chose who she brought though. In that case why him? So that if she needed to go back (like she did here) she would be able to? Or is it more than that?

And about Emma being killed breaks the curse: Is that only if Regina kill Emma or if Regina kills anyone? It can't be the later because Regina killed Grahm right? If Emma dies accidentally does the curse break? If MM kills Emma (which I think she was close to doing when she was yelling 'cause Emma tried to skip town) would that break the curse? WillEmmahave to sacrifice herself in the end to break the curse?

Too many questions, my head is going to explode.

You are misinterpreting. Regina was talking about Henry. She wanted an apple from FTL to not lose her son - henry.

Through Emma's hat most likely.

Emma is the "True love magic", the same magic that was most likely used to make a curse. She is both the source and the bane of the curse. Her end would end the curse. Not break it. Ending the curse most likely cause everything to go back to FTL while Breaking the curse might have something Gold wants.

Adokensan wrote:
    Wow, GREAT episode, loved the ending. But i have one question: in the scene where Regina talks to Rumpeltiltskin, she says that Emma is leaving town, so Regna "won" over Rumpeltiltskin. She also mentioned that she was going to poison Emma. So... why didn't Rumpeltiltskin just CALL Emma and told her what was going on? (With the poison and the Curse in general) If Rumpeltiltskin didn't need Regina anymore, because she said she wasn't going to break the curse for him anymore, he had nothing to lose? Right?

Gold is manipulating it.

Regina doing this is EXACTLY what he wants as Regina by herslef kickstarted Emma's belief in curse right now.

GabrielaFab wrote:

slowpoke.gif

welcome to the most popular and not so crazy idea that about a month ago has replaced the "august is pinochio" and "emma has to die for curse to break" ones.

Edited on 05/07/2012 3:03pm

DarthFreeza

[11]May 7, 2012
    • level: 23

One thing about this episode that kinda irked me was in the beginning when Regina was begging Mr. Gold to "edit" the curse and started offering to make any deal she did not even THINK to offer the one thing Mr. Gold might be inclined to barter for (aside for Baelfire) - BELLE!
    She still has Belle locked up in the loony bin - obviously saving her to be used against Rumple. Why not make the offer now when she seemed so desperate?

That being said, the interactions between Regina and Mr. Gold and between Regina and Emma are breathtaking. And Henry's taking a bite of the apple pie at the end, though not suprising at all, was very well done.
    The fairytale story (aside for the Regina and Snow showdown) was a bit of a letdown for me. It just felt a bit cheesy (particularly the march of the fairies and the highly-trained knights being taken down by a Princess, an old lady, wolf-girl,and a bunch of little people). This also begs to question the nature of Red's transformation. There was some allusion to her being able to not only transform at will now but also to remember what happens while she's a wolf. Hope this is addressed further at some point.
    And lastly, not sure the Mad Hatter really has his head on straight here (pun intended). I didn't like the way he teamed up with Regina - not so much the reason but the dialogue leading up to it. It just felt like it could have been done better.

Dracomom

[12]May 7, 2012
    • level: 5

My first thought when Mr Gold said "you no longer have anything I want" was that he had broken Belle out! Unlikely, I grant- but Regina looked as if she were going to check her cell before saying anything to MrGold about it, just in case.

The invasion would have worked better in my opinion if the "air support" troops had started just a fraction sooner- but that would spoil all the fight choreographer's fun! (Did anyone else ring the anachronism bell when Granny first mentioned air support? or laugh when Grumpy said "you've got someone on your chin"? or wonder exactly why the Blue Fairy owed Grumpy a favor? If it's just the business of him not ruining Nova's life, which arguably he did anyway- a broken heart sure feels like your life is ruined!- I'll be surprised.)

Eion Bailey played Stealthy the dwarf; does anyone else wonder whether Pinocchio became a real boy because he acquired Stealthy's soul/personality? Maybe a stretch, but it explains his penchant for black leather and low company. It was disappointing but not really a surprise that Pinocchio would want to spend time with his dad before the end- of course, if Mr Gold sends the right objects over to be repaired, it could tip him right back into the "Operation Cobra" team. (Henry in a coma may do the same thing, admittedly)

I've never seen Henry kissed by either Emma or Regina- lots of hugs, but not even a goodnight kiss- so maybe that's significant?

"If Emma dies, the Curse ends"- not broken, just over. Regina could no longer torture Snow, Charming, or anyone else. Don't know what that would do for the Storybrooke/FTL equation, but at minimum Regina would be defeated in the next election! The fact that Rumplestiltskin put this loophole into the Curse argues that 1) he knew Regina would take the easy way out if she could; 2) he knew Emma would be hidden from Regina, and maybe even how (the wardrobe); and 3) he may have expected Henry, even before Emma found herself pregnant.

Kitanishi

[13]May 8, 2012
    DarthFreeza wrote:

One thing about this episode that kinda irked me was in the beginning when Regina was begging Mr. Gold to "edit" the curse and started offering to make any deal she did not even THINK to offer the one thing Mr. Gold might be inclined to barter for (aside for Baelfire) - BELLE!
    She still has Belle locked up in the loony bin - obviously saving her to be used against Rumple. Why not make the offer now when she seemed so desperate?

Because she very well knows that the moment Gold finds out what she put Belle through, she is even more screwed

Dracomom

[14]May 8, 2012

Any guesses how long Belle's been there? Depends whether they met during the second or third Ogre war, I guess.. I'd say third, but if the whole asylum is in a magical stasis, it could have been longer...

Less MM/D, and more backstory/history of FTL, please!

Danah

[15]May 9, 2012

this "time" thing is really messing with my head, i frankly no longer care, let the writers think it over, but this episode was EPIC, i mean i never said this with this much enthusiasm by I LOVE HENRY!!! its about time emma REALIZES what the hell is going on around her. her saying "this is not a story" has gotten REALLY boring. i don't know what they'll do with henry, but i don't think they'll keep him in a coma for a long time, and the growing part isn't gonna be surprising, you know he DID grow 8 years after emma gave birth to him even though he was living in the same town with the same curse, the people might be cursed but he's just as free as emma. and i also have been wondering about bae, and like some has said it is would be a weird coincident, but why not? after all IT IS a fairytale, and things like this happen in a fairytale, though by the way i remember her describing henry's father i don't remember his personality much similar to bae but who knows, one thing this question has confirmed is how much I'm dying to learn what happened to bae sometimes it feels like he has a bigger part in all of this than most the characters do lol i wouldn't be surprised, small characters like his that are parlay mentioned usually are the ones that have the most surprising roles to play later on, i hope that we're not just making a mountain out of a molehill XD

Dracomom

[16]May 9, 2012

Danah- Bae is the reason for most of what's happened; Rumplestiltskin would never have taken (and used) the dagger if not for his son. I believe that everything Rumplestiltskin did from the time Bae was born was he thought was best for Bae- but that may be pushing it.

"Waiting for Godot" or "The King in Yellow" (plays)revolve around a character who isn't onstage yet, but who will have a huge impact when he does arrive. The offstage presence overshadows all the onstage action- the characters constantly refer to the one not yet present. I think Bae is that sort of character- and I can't wait to see who he is either!

In "Desperate Souls" the knight mentions Rumplestiltskin's wife (who couldn't stand the sight of him because he was a coward who ran away from battle). There's also mention of Bae's mother being dead; the knight calls Bae a little bastard. Ifthis was fact rather than insult, Rumplestiltskin had both a wife and a lover in his backstory- could explain a lot. certainly these are great loose ends to explore.

What if Rumplestiltskin and Bae are hiding in a grungy little village because Rumplestiltskin doesn't want to be dragged back to some other life?

Danah

[17]May 9, 2012

i know he's the reason but he may not be the end. but MAN!!! u do raise some more questions here >< this thing is gonna drag us for more than one episode, i have a feeling that this season is gonna end in the worst possible cliffhanger, there's just way too many questions. in a way it is great, to keep the show exciting, but that would mean that we have to wait longer to get our questions answered -_- I'm getting that "end of a season" blues here HHHHHHHH

RenatoB

[18]May 10, 2012
    • level: 43
    This episode was great. Then again, they all are, and I'm sure the finale will be awesome. I really hope Henry dies in the finale, I don't want him on the show for another season.

Danah

[19]May 10, 2012

RenatoB wrote:
    This episode was great. Then again, they all are, and I'm sure the finale will be awesome. I really hope Henry dies in the finale, I don't want him on the show for another season.

lol, well henry is definitely not my favorite character but that sounds a bit harsh!! after all he is the reason emma is there and is the reason she's staying and starting to believe the whole curse thing, he connects them all, so i don't think that they'll kill him off. but getting him outta this thing is definitely gonna be tough, i don't think that even the evil queen herself can get him out. thats the power of the apple. i can't WAIT for the final episode.

tiiams

[20]May 10, 2012
    • level: 1

We know when Bae went through the portal he was going to a land that has no magic (the world all the characters live in now) He was just aboy than. Just a thought, could Bae be Henry's real father? Could Emma have meet him when he was grown, she wasn't that old when she had Henry?