Once Upon a Time

Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC Premiered Oct 23, 2011 Returning September 28, 2014

Gislef

Once Upon a Time Fan Reviews (171)

• A HUGE disappointment

3.5

I am forever a LOST fan..and was looking forward to this new show..what a letdown it is. LOST had a variety of characters, with distinct personalities..Sawyer, Jack, Syeed (sic), Kate..thie new show does not have one compelling, interesting character..this show SUCKS!! Bad & overacted..Rumple is a joke with the bad teeth and green skin..so over the top, he doesn;t evoke fear, just a wtf, next please..bad acting, bad scripts, the only good actors are...the witch, and the little kid..everyone else is flat, and boring..I am forcing myself to watch it in the hopes that something clever and interesting will happen..which it DOESN'T..this show will lose ratings and probalby not come back a year from now.too bad, coulda been terrific, instead it ifalls as short as the 7 dwarfs.

• AWESOME SHOW I WONDER WHO THE

Dude is with the typewriter. i am not quite sure if rumplestiltskin is good or bad.
  • It took over 15 minutes to actually get going.

When a new show is aired, I think it's REALLY important that the attention of the audience is grabbed right from the beginning. This did not happen with 'Once Upon A Time'. It was convoluted and very mixed up; extremely 'back and forth' and still nothing was actually happening. I'm not going to stop watching after just one episode but I hope that things improve in future. I found the best thing about it to be young Henry, his acting seemed far superior to everyone elses. I will see what I think of episode 2.
  • Peter Pan is the "Bad guy"??? WHY???

WHY???????!!!!!
  • Truly Terrible show. Excellent cast, but horrible writers & production values.

This could have been great, and my family really wanted to enjoy it. Alas, no. The cast it wonderful, the acting is fine with a great crew. However, the storylines are truly pathetic and completely unenjoyable, and there is apparently virtually no effects budget. The clincher was when they had an episode with Dr Frankenstein. OMG, so bad. soon after that episode we all wrote this show off as it spiraled down past mediocrity. No more.
  • Meh..

Too cheesy and too kiddie for my taste
  • I'm So Confused!

This show is trying to be so many things at once. Kingdom Hearts, with all its retcons, is easier to understand. I couldn't follow it anymore after Mr. Gold took on more roles than just Rumpelstiltskin. He can't be the Beast and the Crocodile too, can he?? It's like he gets a whole new personality when the main characters leave the room and "Belle" enters. What's more, Captain Hook is more like Jack Sparrow than what I was expecting. i just can't watch this anymore, I'm sorry.
  • Disappointed fan

I love the show, but I was very disappointed with this episode and

I was not surprised at all that Peter Pan was Rump's father. To be honest, I have been let down by the last 2 seasons because the show is no longer about fantasies, it is about the drama that happens in our lives. People in the real world fight about who will have the rights of their children. The show has become a soap opera and I would like to just say good luck trying to have another season. The whole Peter Pan story has gone on longer than enough. The writers should either "fix" it or just give up. Sorry but the truth hurts.

• i hope

i hope they cancel it i love it so much i
  • Once Upon a Fail

I like the basic idea of this series, story book characters being trapped in our own world while not remembering who they really are. I like the idea so much, that I REALLY want to like the show itself, and I know I've tried. But after having watched the entire first season (22 episodes qualifies as giving it a fighting chance, I think), with every episode hoping that it would get any better, I must say this show is mediocre at best.

Sure, it's not all bad. It's been fun watching the background stories of some of the characters unfold, so for example you get to see how the Evil Queen became the evil woman she is and why exactly she hates Snow White so much. Also, as time goes by more story book characters are revealed for who they really are, which is also fun and sometimes surprising (especially in the case of the mysterious writer).

However, this show has too many flaws to make up for the few positive notes. The characters are way too flat for my liking (and they stay that way for the entire first season) and the show comes across as very childish - ironically the same case could be made for most stories that are actually IN story books. No wonder that so many people seem to watch this show with their children: they are probably the ones who can appreciate this show the most. A lot of times the acting feels fake and unsincere: when you're constantly reminded that you're watching people acting, instead of just watching people, that's not a good thing. And it's not just the acting, it's the whole picture: this show is for a big part about magic and for it to be believable you need the visual effects to be convincing. I'm afraid a lot of times, it's just not. Finally, this show means to be exciting, thrilling, keeping you at the edge of your seat... Yet again, they fail big time. It doesn't get thrilling or exciting ANYWHERE! Sure, sometimes there are some mysteries you wonder about (like who is this or that character really?) and when they are revealed you feel happy you know, but it's by far not enough to keep you at the edge of your seat. There's just not enough interesting things happening, and when they DO happen they're not convincing because of the acting, visual effects and lack of character development I've mentioned before.

It really is a shame, this could have been such an awesome show, but this way it's just not worth spending your precious time on. Unless you're a kid ofcourse, then you might love it! In that case I unfortunaly have to say, "I'm getting too old for this sh-".
  • Zelena bad acting

4.5
    There have been so many fine performances on this show. But Zelena?? She does not belong with the other excellent actors and actresses here. Show has become almost unwatchable because of her. Hope she is gone soon. Please.
  • Ashes Ashes the writng has fallen down!

How it is possible to go from brilliance to disappointment can only be explained when I found out the show has the same creators as Lost. Episodes 7 and 8 barely causing me to stay awake -Except to watch the car wreck of Red's back story.. I could go on. Just as in Lost, the story is getting tangled and boring without the hook to of a mysterious ending to keep viewers tuned in. I loved season one, the cohesion of the episodes was perfection. If I had to guess this could be a combination of too many cooks in the kitchen and one ego maniac head chef! Get it together or you will spoil the soup! Have a lovely night!

P.S. I must also point out that Henry's poor acting should be addressed; the boy has had several episodes to show improvement... yawn! please also note that this is only my opinion and certainly not fact. I do love the show and would hate to have to walk away from it,, taking my fan base with me..
  • It's a pity

I LOVE the story, the writings are great but seriously what is wrong with these actors! they couldn't be any worse, it's so artificial, directing is not that bad except for combat scenes they really need to do sth about it.

And the worst of worst is the visual effects, seriously we are in 2012. TAKE IT UP A NOTCH will you?

It has a great story i wish the production would be as good.
  • ONCE UPON A TIME

I Thing the only reason i like watch once upon a time is that i like that kid Henry and prince charming and snow white i think..
  • Disappointed !

I agree ! every time that I watch a new episodes i get more disappointed !! I just hope they do something about it ! All these last episodes could be combined in one !
  • Feels like a "Fables" comic ripoff

I think there was a comic book series that had the same premise more than 12 years ago. The show may be apealing at certian points and the acting is very decent but I just dont like the fact that the show is not 100% original.
  • not convinced

I watched the 5 first episodes of Once upon a time but I'm just not convinced.. When I saw the promo for this show I couldn't wait to see it.. I don't know what's bugging me in this show..

Does it get any better the following episodes?

• Wow what a cliffhanger!!

5.5
    March seems a little too long to wait for the next episode hehe, loved this season so far, especially the last episode, what a cliffhanger that was!

I'll be anxiously anticipating the next episode.
  • Henry is a nagging little snit!

How does anyone thing that Henry is good character? He is just so blinded sided by who Regina was in the old world that he doesn't expect her to be anything but the Evil Queen. And she tries, she really tried but he's so stuck in his thinking. Why should she try anything when he'll never change. I'm not saying that the Evil Queen is a saint now. But she did raise him, she loves him. and he's a nagging, ungrateful little snit.
  • Smart TV series has it's ups and downs

Once upon a time can be really good, but, some episodes can be mediocre. But, too see all these Disney fairytales come to life smart and dark is really satisfying. The TV Show is a fun interesting time.
  • inspiring and interesting... but should get rid of a few characters.

i started watching the show with my neighbors and... i will admit the show is becoming more interesting to me when it comes to the battles and some of the characters. especially Rumpelstiltskin! i also like hook too.

But that Henry character is SO F***ing annoying!!!

it's getting to the point where i can't stand the kid! with every single episode, he is becoming less of a character and more of an annoyance. i can only think of one time when he got Emma into Storybrooke... but THAT'S IT!!! the kid has not done ANYTHING USEFUL WHATSOEVER!!!

he had better do something useful soon or i will deam him as the Worst Character ever!! SERIOUSLY!!

i also think that Cora should get her ass kicked by either Regiena or Hook.

other than that, THIS SHOW ROCKS!!!

Also... PLEASE INVOLVE MERLIN FROM THE LEGENDS OF KING ARTHUR!!!!!!!
  • Missing episode?

I was on an airplane yesterday and noticed the in flight video was showing a OUaT episode where Emma was fighting a dragon. I didn't put in my headphones because the show was almost over and I thought it might have been the show from 14-Oct.

Then I was watching the show from the 14th and Emma made a reference to having had killed a dragon. I can't find any description in the episode guide that refers to this dragon episode.

What gives?

• Season 2 is boring

The idea is brilliant and I fell hard for the series when I watched season 1. It's perfect, the cast, the storyline, the costume and acting. But I got bored in season 2, too many new characters and plotline.
  • Tangled

I feel like they should put in Rapunzel and Flynn Rider in the show that would make it a 10
  • Henry Mills Char

Hi, Henry. How are you sweety. I just wanted to let you know that I'm your fan and that you are doing a great, great job. If it wasn't for you in the story I wouldn't be watching the show with my kids. You are also the main important part of the show. You are the smartest of them all, you're always trying to help everyone to keep everybody safe from being harm in anyway, and that's why you are very important in the story. You are also very smart and brave. You are a good example to my kids. I wish you were my kid. Don't never let anyone tell you any difference. You are a very special boy and god bless your parents for doing a great job of raising you. bye sweety.
  • Sick of

3.5
    Pan, sick of Bae/Neal. The show hooks are in Regina and Emma and the writer's need to get a grip.
  • Frustrating Show

What frustrating show! OUaT sounds like such a good idea in theory, and Season 1 started to get on the right track (plus they have a wonderful costume department), but Season 2 has been terrible!

Jeez, Kitsis and Horowitz treat the audience like we're dummies who can't remember what happened last week! They threw all of Regina's character development out the window and waste the talents of many in the cast. The consistency of episodes is hit -or-miss and has been increasingly disappointing.

I hope that Lana Parilla and Robert Carlyle move on to a different project that can better utilize their talents. As for me, I'm done with OUaT. Let me know if they do a Rumbelle spin-off.
  • when the show lets you down in one episode, it finds a way to pull you back to it in the next.

i never thought i'd get as hooked to it as i did, don't get me wrong im a big fairytale fan, seriously! Snow white, Cinderella, little red ridding hood... love'em all. its just when you hear that they are going to make a show like that you always think its going to be.. ummm... well -for lack of a better term- boring, but this show is anything but.

• It's becoming tedious

First of, while overall Season One was very well done, I cant help but feel that the shows becoming a little more like a Saturday morning cartoon show then anything else, through lack of a better term, the main reason for this seems to have been shown very prominently within the Third Season. While still ongoing obviously, my main problem with it that I have is arcs are introduced, as in they are clearly separated within the two parts of the series.

In all they just seem a little to forced for me, granted the Peter Pan arc got a little build up within Season Two, but still I feel it was very forced in the sense that 'Hey! we need a new big threat now!' and that's how I feel that it is becoming more of a cartoon show.

As in the transition of the story, how it continually just jump form one big villain arc to another mid season by mid season, for example with Cora in the first half of Season Two, and then Gregg and Tamara in the next, and as we are seeing with season three, Pan in the first and the Witch in the next. This just seems to be boring and very parable and as I said very parable to that of a cliche cartoon show, where the entire plot of a season would center around an 'all powerful villain' and the heroes trying to stop them.

Again granted that did work with the First Season, with Regina, our current Queen of sass, but it gave you the sense that she and the whimsical Rumple, where in fact just misunderstood characters, that had gone through terrible hardships within their lives, which gave them more feel to their characters, made them that more of a memorable villain. This gave the show, for me, a feeling that they were not going to just rehash the same thing we've seen so many times in other shows in which the whole villain plot been the entire center of the season, and that they were going to explore other ways of moving the story forward.

Like again what was done greatly in the First season, showing the real life conflicts of living in the 'real world' and applying this to that of the fairy tale characters, which was what made the show so unique in the first place.

However now I just feel that this whole villain per mid season thing is killing off the shows uniqueness, and how they all somehow have to be related to Henry? Couldn't Pan just of been Rumples best friend? Instead of going down that frankly cliche story of the villain been the hero's (or whatever Rumple is now) father. Couldn't Zelena be just someone the queen had wronged? Instead of going down the again cliche evil or in this case wicked sister road. Wouldn't showing the extent that the Queen had pushed someone in the past to make them such an evil witch right in the middle of her redemption be more relevant within the story? Instead of Rumple's jealous ex-student which we have already seen within Cora's Arc.

But don't get me wrong some of the villains were pretty good, Peter Pan was well acted, it was nice to give Rumple someone to contend with for the throne of the 'big bad' of the series.

Cora was good to, Barbra Hershey is always good a what she does, and the fact that she was actually developed in the First Season and not forced like a certain wicked witch, allows the plot surrounding her to be for interesting.

But season Three's plot however seems to just be reusing old ideas, like the villain been student of Rumple whose in love with him (seriously that guy gets all the girl's for some and then him or her been related to Henry or one of the character that their supposed to be the arch nemesis off, and that they have had terrible lives prior to this, and I mean I know that the writers are trying to get the message across that evil is made, but I think it was pretty apparent with the sass Queen and Rumpleplayboy.

Its not like I don't like the series anymore, its just is getting more predicable as it goes on, and has gotten to the point where it has to rely on character ships as a subplot, which I wouldn't mind now and again, but it's every episode now, and connived with the predicable writing of the characters and story arcs again it all now just seems as if it where a cartoon series. Which is shown through that of Neal's death, something that was seemingly brushed off within the space of what? 24 hours by both his farther and lover alike, I don't know about you but I sure a person but be pretty destroyed if their son or lover had died. I mean Rumple and Emma are quite cool with it by the end of the episode that proceeded it. Heartless so and so's....

Still pretty an enjoyable series, especially with Season One, good story, good hero, good behind the scenes villain plot at the end, and off course fantastic villains.

I just have give praise to Robert Carlyle, he really got me invested in his character, and when he got those villain 'Master manipulator villain I win fuck you moments' he played them fantastically. Even his romance was quite heart wrenching, which was especially good because, as most of you are probably going to think after reading this, I don't have one, or at least a very big one.

And off course Regina, well Regina is just Regina, queen of sass and that of the bad ass one liners.

• Just Amazing

The show is simply amazing, the writing and plots are so intriguing, Actors on this show are amazing especially Lana Parilla doing great work as the Regina. The show is adventurous and engaging with so much humor, drama and romance.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6