Once Upon a Time

Skin Deep

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 12, 2012 on ABC

• (Spoilers) The ending made no sense...

As with most of the series, this was a great episode, even forgiving the idea of using Rumpelstiltskin as The Beast (I know certain liberties have to be taken to create a world where all the fairy-tales existed in one land, but that just seems unecessary and silly). There is one thing that really, really bothered me, though. The ending.

At the end of the episode, the Queen visits Mr. Gould (Rumpelstiltskin) in jail. He begs her to give him back the item he's been searching for that was stolen from him. She strikes a deal with him: the item (revealed to be the cup that Belle chipped) in exchange for his real name. He agrees, in the process answering a question that I have wondered about since the pilot: "does Rumpelstiltskin remember his pre-curse life?"

But this makes no sense for two reasons:

1. Why did the Queen not know Rumpelstiltskin's name? She knew it before the curse (she called him it in this very episode) and she's supposed to be the only one that remembers everything. Shouldn't she remember that?

2. Why did Rumpelstiltskin GIVE her his name? She had the chipped cup he wanted? Ok, so why not just say "give it back, please." They've made it a point to remind us on more than one occasion that she is compelled by their deal to do whatever he asks her to do, so long as he says please; so he didn't really have to give her anything. I have a feeling this is going to come back to bite him. Not only was knowing his name the instrument of his downfall in the original story, it's a classic fantasy concept that knowing a magical being's "true name" gives you power over it.

Seriously, this is the kind of over-sight that will bother me for a week or two.