Once Upon a Time

Skin Deep

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 12, 2012 on ABC

• Best tv episode ever

OK, this was the best episode ever. And I mean the best episode of any television show ever. Hmm, maybe not ever but certainly this decade!

The writers have not only managed to make us sympathize with Rumplestiltskin, they have gotten us to like him, even to love him. To understand him, to feel for him and to root for him. And this is after he just turned a guy into a rose....

But forget about how we love this love story, the writing itself was so crisp. I watched this episode again and caught so many cool things. In the opening scene, Rumple tells Belle's fiance that he is not looking for love... then as Gold, he tells Emma that he is "a difficult man to love" and then talks to David about love and how once it's gone, it's gone forever. These are such subtle lines but all connected to the main story. Of course Gold/Regina dialogue is spot on, including another nice "please" LOL, love it. Love also the jail scene

I have been raving about Robert Carlyle for a while now, and it is official: he makes this show. His expressions are so perfect. It was captivating to watch him fall in love with Belle. You could feel it just by the looks on his face. Not to mention the struggle after the kiss and the ultimate grief upon hearing she is dead. Emmy winning performance, imho.

This episode also is interesting in that it makes a point to say that Evil Queen and Rump have a bad history. She really enjoyed telling him that Belle was dead and he seemed loathe to see her before she even said anything. Is it merely a power struggle? Or did she do something to him? Him to her? Dunno, but as I started to realize a few episodes ago, he really hates her and I cannot wait to find out why.

By the way, the soundtrack is great. And the piece playing while he is beating the crap out of his house (not to mention Mo French) is beautiful and so moving.

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was having to listen to Mary Margaret break up with David yet again. That is getting so stale. Enough already!

I could write all day about this episode; I loved it so much. But suffice to say that it was my favorite so far and I look forward to where this leads.