Once Upon a Time

The Shepherd

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 04, 2011 on ABC

• O Brother, Where Art Thou?

This is more like it! After a slight dip in quality, Once... is back on track with a witty, action-packed and overall eventful episode. There are some niggles, of course, like some seriously shoddy CG work (that dragon...that CG flooring...oh my!) but they're easily forgivable when things are starting to heat up this much. Props have to be given for a particularly gruesome fatality early on into the episode, as well as toying with our expectations in Storybrooke between David and Mary (c'mon, who didn't feel a lump in their throat?!). We also learn of how Charming came to be a prince (very twisted) and how he eventually met Snow (a very nice touch ending with the beginning of the last episode!). FX work aside, Once seems to have found its storytelling groove.
  • Very good, that's for sure!

This was a very good episode, and perhaps one of the best ones sinec the pilot! The storline was extremely interesting, both in past and present!

In terms of the past, an interesting twist in events, and I thought it was highly sad with what happened with Prince Charming - well both twisn really! And I loved seeing just how Charming met Snow, because I had no idea who that woman was when that storyline aired a few episodes ago!

In the present, things got really complicated for John Doe and Snow White (Mary Margaret), while Emma discovers Regina's dirty little secret, so that was really interesting!

No Henry today, but I can't wait to see what's next! The preview here in Australia suggests a lethal change in events, and I look forward to it! :)
  • hm....

I have to say that for the first time, I was confused by the point of an episode. I mean, really, what is the point of this plot twist? Why the need for twins? Why have one son gone and another replacing him. But, I bet there is a reason that we will find out later on. I just found myself distracted at times because I was too busy wondering why we were being taken down this path.

However, knowing that new info keeps getting thrown at us, I imagine this will be vital later on.

I did enjoy Rumplestiltskin as usual, and the acting was terrific across the boards.
  • The best episode of the series so far.

I dont know what was it about this episode but it was so amazing for me i wished that this episode would never end maybe because i'm a guy and i love action and this episode had a lot more action than any other episode of the series or maybe because there was an actor from Lost that i loved to hate in this episode and maybe because the relationship between Snow White and Price Charming is much more interesting to me than i have imagined if they make more episodes about The Evil Queen, Snow White , and Prince Charming i think it would be better because they are the most interesting episodes to me and last weeks episode aboutJiminyCricket wasnt that good i dont know what wasnt but i didnt find it that enjoyable and another thing about this episode that i like was that there was less than a minute of Henry and that was good for me. Looking forward for next weeks episode and from the promos it looks to be a very good episode.

• Solid Episode

This episode told the story of Prince Charming in the flashbacks, and his amnesia in the present-day.

The scenes with David and Mary Margaret were moving in this episode, and I liked their scenes, seeing David assert himself and separate from Katherine to start his new life. The sad ending was disappointing and rather predictable, since it was understandable they can't reunite Snow White and Prince Charming this early in the series. Still, having Regina and Mr. Gold triumph once again was frustrating.

Prince Charming's backstory had interesting twists, and was quite engaging. Overall, a very good episode.
  • The Shepherd

The Shepherd was a perfect episode of Once Upon A Time and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it was fantastically entertaining, blended both worlds gracefully, and had some fun surprises. The production quality was great for both the modern and fairy tale worlds. It was interesting to get more background information on some of the characters, especially Kathryn who is David's wife in the modern world. Rumpelstiltskin seems to be more aware and behind every thing than any of the other characters. I like how the story is playing out and I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!

• Truly fairy tale magic!

It has cast a spell on me! I very much want Mary Margaret and David to be together and I am very angry at Regina for keeping them apart.

I am also very much inteersted in what will happen with Emma and the Sheriff especially now we know that he is sleeping with the mayor. I am already very much involved in the characters lives.

I love havign the story in the modern real world and also having princes fight with dragons. It is like nothing else on television.

My only complaint is i thing the actor who plays Rumplestilskin is overacting a little too much. But everything else is superbe!

• The prince and his story. Plus, we get more of the relationship between Mary Margaret and David.

I loved this episode, this show is so good and I really like the fact that they show the backstory of a different character each week.Random thoughts:- The chemistry between Ginnifer and Josh Dallas is great.... I want them t be together in real life.- That was some really bad CGI with the first battle- 2011 is the year of the twins and switched identities (hello, Revenge!)- Is Rumplestiltskin behind every business?- No Henry......YES!!! Seriously, he has to die.Looking forward to the next episode!

• Another brother....

This episode was fantastic, except for the cgi battle. I definitely agree with others on the chemistry between Snow White and Prince Charming. Trying to figure out what Dr. Whale's part is in the story. Does he exist in the Fairytale realm? If so, what part? As much as we wanted to see Margaret get the guy, in the back of our minds we knew that there would be a hitch.... it would have been too easy otherwise.

Looking forward to Sunday nightto see what happens next!!!

• A perfect blend of accepting and rejecting clichés. You never know which the show will choose.

This episode centered on Charming's backstory. By the way, the fact that I cannot call him anything other than Charming tells you how GOOD this show is. It sneaks up on you and just gets into your brain!

And your heart because I have to admit I squeezed out a few tears during this episode. I expected Charming's backstory to be about swordfights and slaying dragons and we certainly got that and it was awesome!

But his real story, in both worlds, is about love and sacrifice and responsibility, especially when it's hard. I absolutely loved it!

We hardly saw any characters beside Snow and Charming, but the episode didn't suffer from it. Which is very promising given the show's format.

• That was AWFUL! But in the best way possible. :) (spoilers!)

There is no way that I can properly give this episode a review without spoiling it a bit. At the end of the episode there is a scene where Mary Margaret says something along the lines of " you know when you do something even if you know the outcome, and then you just end up hating yourself a little bit?" That scene summarized the episode for me. I knew on the one hand it would be an epic one, i mean come on! thus far every episode that showcased Snow & Charming moments where awesome. But in the back of my mind I knew that it was too early, they wouldn't get together so soon. I knew that a curve ball would be thrown but I really didn't expect this. I'll admit it, I cried. And now like an addict, I'll have to patiently till next week because HOLY PROMO Batman! Next week looks insane. ahhhhhh

On a side note, I love the creepiness of Rumplestilskin (seriously, that one scene where he giggles (shudder) it gave me the willies).

AND I love the threads being weaved together.

Credit to Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin, you guys have starcrossed destined lovers in the bag.