Once Upon a Time

The Stranger

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 29, 2012 on ABC

• Splinter

This episode I think is great because we discover who August really is Pinichio but also that Emma is the daughter of Snow and Charming. I'm not too supprised by that since there have been hints of that, though this would also mean Henry is the grandson of Snow and Charming so that's cool. Thoughout this episode the theme is on the consequences of irresponsiblity, and there is a parallel with Gepetto, Pinnocio/August, and Emma because all three have made a wrong choice and have failed to take responsibility on the roles their suppose to play, which makes the episode tragic.

For Gepetto the choice he made is understandable because he was just being a father, but he was also suppose to be a hero. Once, he forces a unfair bargin on the Fairy I feel that is when he loses the title of hero, his love for Pinnocio is a selfish kind and he does teach Pinnocio a bad leason which does affect what happens latter. It's true there is such a thing as grey areas and everyone does lie but that doesn't mean you should.

Pinnocio as we see in the end breaks the promise he made to his father which was to always protect Emma, he fails due to submiting to his own selfish desire of excaping from the crappy orphanage. There is a sign that is crappy with this one moment where Pinocio is fixing Emma's crib and there is this stupid frak head (probably drunk) handy man that barks at him not to touch or take a screw, even though Pinocio practically did his job, a simple job almost anyone at any age could do. Anyway, I can't help but feel if Pinocio stayed with Emma both could have gone into a good home together, if not at least he'd at least be able to take care of her as he got older and may'be both would have found a place to live. But most importantly there could of been a stronger bond between them and he could of taught her everything about the Fairy Tale world, which could help her become disallusioned in the world she lives in. He does come back to forfill his promise but as we see it was too late.

Finally Emma, I always felt her sceptism was her weakness and now it's finally the very thing that will not just destroy the Fairy Tale characters but herself and Henry. We then see a moment when Pinnocio shows her the hard proof of his leg become wood but what she see in flesh and blood, it's revealed why she's so sceptical because she's mystically blind. This may'be be due to her bad experences since childhood which have crippled her sense of optimism. I think subconciously she does believe in what Pinnocio is saying after all how the heck could he know certain details, but also what he says to her about being a mesiah like hero she responds by saying she doesn't want to be a hero to everyone. The thing about roles are we don't really chose them they chose us, and like all roles we're required to do what we were ment to do whether we're ready or not. Emma we see makes the two wrong choices, instead of confronting things like she should she runs away.

After what happens I have a bad feeling at this point Fate isn't smiling at her so Henry may be her last chance, hopefully Emma will believe because time is running out.