Once Upon a Time

What Happened to Frederick

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 19, 2012 on ABC

• very good and moving episode

This appears to not be a favorite episode of some folks... but I liked it a lot. Anastasia Griffith really did a great job in both roles. Her performances were very touching, both upon losing David and on getting Frederick back. Considering how bitchy she was when we first met Abigail, it was a pleasant surprise to see her so vulnerable and also compassionate for Charming's plight. I enjoyed how she won me over.

The siren bit was of course predictable , but fun nonetheless. I also really liked the August/Emma interaction. Of course finding the book after drinking from the well isn't going to be enough to make her believe, but it was a good first shot. I like this new character August.

And I love how the writers never tell us anything straight out or right away. People have complained about this before, that the story is not progressing and that we are only seeing little histories of certain characters. But that is what I love about this show. It is unfolding slowly. If I want action and a fast told story, I will go to the movies and spend 2 hours. Here we have 22 episodes to go a certain distance. And then we can come back another season and have another 22 to keep building. I am in no rush to wrap it all up, it is perfect as is. Each episode does add something to the story, sometimes somethign small and other times it makes us say "OHHHHH!!!" (and then question our conclusions and start wondering what it all means. That's what makes a good show folks, not just having intro, conflict, resolution shoved down our throats as quickly as possible!

In this episode, we see August doing something to the book. Adding? Rewriting parts? Rewriting all? A new bit of mystery which I love.