ABC has sent Alice and the rest of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland down the metaphorical rabbit hole to its death, according to TV Guide. The ratings of the spin-off of the network's popular fairy-tale series Once Upon a Time smelled worse than a rain-soaked Cheshire Cat: Last night’s episode pulled in only 3.3 million viewers for a measly 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic. While those numbers might've cut it on The CW, they were nowhere near high enough for ABC. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was always meant to exist as a self-contained, single-season story about Alice's (Sophie Lowe) attempt to save the love of her life (a genie named Cyrus played by Peter Gadiot). However, the producers hinted last August that if the show was successful, it had the potential to earn a second season that would feature an entirely new adventure. Now that its chances of success are smaller than Alice after a few sips of shrinky juice, the series finale will air next Thursday, April 3 at 8pm. 

Will you miss Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

173 Comments
Comments (177)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Disheartening!
Flag
I will miss this show i was expecting there will be a season 2

Flag
You would think that many stay home on a Saturday night to try a/the show out on that night since there is never ever anything good to watch. I will be missing some of the characters but not all. Another show that I like has faded into the sunset. Total bumme!
Flag
it's a decent show. but i think the woman who played the queen was miscast.
she's not a bad actress but having her play the queen is a role that just didn't suit her i don't think. in short it had promise i think.
Flag
ABC has got to do Once Upon A Time: The Mickey Mouse Club Show.
Flag
meh
Flag
Ratings ignore downloads, streaming etc. The whole system is archaic.
Flag
This is what I've been saying all along.
Flag
Eventually shows will be watched mostly online, the TV execs need to get with the 21st century.
Flag
I thought the story was coming to its natural conclusion anyway. Through I feared they have tried lay the foundations to extend the current plot lines.
Flag
Tipi Cle fuck wits
Flag
Liked it so to bad:/
Hopefully they will incorporate the villains in Once Upon a Time.
Flag
Not very surprising!
Flag
Good thing I had this one on my watch later list.. it's ABC after all. Now I even won't start watching. HA
Flag
OUAT is by far one of my favorite shows. When they proposed the idea of Wonderland (shortly after Cora was introduced as the Queen of Hearts) I was so excited. The biggest mistake the show made was surrounding the story around Alice rather than Cora. They introduced an entirely new cast and it just didn't work. If Wonderland focused on Cora - I would have been front and center from the beginning. Oh well - as someone said below - at least the attention can go back to OUAT since this season has been a little off its game. ~ Semperdivina.com
Flag
Cora and THE HATTER! Jefferson totally went off the map in OUaT. I had been looking forward to seeing him here. It was sad they didn't use him at all in the flashbacks. :'(
Flag
Agree with you completely. Jefferson was a must watch character.
Flag
Sadly, the actor who played the Mad Hatter(Sebastian Stan) was busy filming and promoting Captain America 2.
Flag
They couldn't use Cora because if they made a prequel, there would be too many problems with the already insanely inconsistent timeline.

Remember the original show keeps insisting on those annoying flashbacks?
Flag
Annoying?! Really? I think those are the best part. It is a brilliant way to constantly create new story lines and ideas - to establish connections that would have to normally be described in some drawn out monologue.
Flag
Never seen worse CGI then on this show. That was the hardest thing to get over. The story wasn't very good but neither is OUAT and I still watch that. However with OUAT at least they tend try to hide the CGI when they can. I also really don't like the actress playing Alice. I did not care about her at all. So it's pretty hard to get into a show when you don't like the main character. I'm not surprised this got cancelled but it is a shame that the showrunners didn't give us a better show to begin with. I'm sorry but if you're gonna make a spin off at least try to make it interesting or compelling. Too much Disney BS all over this thing and OUAT. If they went for more grown-up storytelling maybe it could've worked.
Flag
In the original OUaT episode that focused on Wonderland, the screensaver-esque CGI was part of the charm. It was kind of a letdown to see them downgrade Wonderland into an Enchanted Forest with a few giant toadstools and a few colored bricks.
Flag
Good point. The show was definitely a disappointment.
Flag
I think the CGI is down to the style the producers wanted it to be in, rather than it being poor.
Flag
Which still doesn't mean it's not terrible to look at. :-)
Flag
Wait, how could they not do the disney bs?
It's an ABC show, aren't they owned by Disney?
Flag
Yes, yes and yes.
Flag
I can't help but wonder if the second half of OUAT's season is so much better because the creators stopped wasting their energy trying to make Wonderland a hit. It was a bad spinoff, and not even in a "so bad that it's a guilty pleasure" kind of way.
Flag
Once again the networks show that only the people with nielsen boxes count and the rest of the people who watch these shows don't matter at all!
Flag
That's rather absurd. The show's numbers (even on download fronts - which are a great reflection) were slim.

The show was hated when first aired by most critics (including on this site) and fans alike.

Heck, the fact that this very site has stopped following it (Lily's recaps stopped mid season) is also a good indication that people lose interest.

This hardly came as a surprise to anyone.

While I would admit the show became much much better than the initial episodes, it's still miles away from where it should be.

And it's not like we're lacking shows that realized they sucked, turned a 180 but it was too late.
Flag
And who do the networks base their ratings on? You or people with Nielsen boxes? Hello? Anyone there?
Flag
It was slow to pique my interest but ended up being pretty good! I would love another network to pick it up! Maybe they can tie it into OUAT, would stink to not keep up with the characters! Ooh maybe tie it into OUAT and then make OUAT 1.5 hrs or 2 even! woo hoo! lol
Flag
ouat w was not that bad, it was only designed for one season, many people knew and in most cases , most did not care, so if they missed a few episodes no big deal, they hiatus hurt, the time slot was killer, nothing on ABC survives the 8-9 slot, the CGI simply suck, IMO the story was very good, hopefully the hiatus for Sophia and Emma is not that long, both are awesome!!!
Flag
I liked the show ... but what I'll really miss is watching Michael Socha every week.
Flag
yes im crying :( i love knave!!!!
Flag
stopped watching it after ep 6 or 7 hoping it would have the same charm has OUAT but no. OUATIW is rubbish.
Flag
All I care about is that it ends with NO cliffhanger... all first season shows should end.. and if good enough to come back then do cliffhangers... I am still mad at No Where Man... ended in a BIG CLIFF!!!
Flag
Not really surprised. I didn't think it was that good!!
Flag
hope some of the characters will feature in ouat.
Flag
When there is already a show doing good there's really no need for a spin off.
Flag
Tell that to Xena, Angel, The Jeffersons, Family Matter or dozens of others

Sure most of them are terrible but many surpassed their parent shows.
Flag
Ha! Tell that to CBS.
Flag
Seen worse shows get a second season and spring back to become more successful. As long as it has a good enough ending I can live with it. Kind've bummed it's over so soon though, was enjoying this show.
Flag
My thoughs exactly!
Flag
Will you miss Once Upon a Time in Wonderland?

NO
Flag
YES!!
Flag
I enjoyed it, I dont mind though as long as we get closure on the current story which it sounds like we will
Flag
Ditto!
Flag
Never watched the show, but those lips though!

Flag
I know! What are they? In fact WHAT IS her entire face!? But the lips though....! Seriously WTF?
Flag
I watched it, i admit to being guilty of liking it but it still doesn't surprise me its been cancelled. It did look rather cheaply made, that fact did it no favours. Although it did improve from its pretty awful beginning , I think it was a case of too little too late
Flag
watch it on and off. its just was badly done from a story point so much
Flag
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I actually enjoyed it more than Once Upon a Time.
Flag
Same here, I have grown rather tired of OUAT.
Flag
Me too, but only compared with this OUAT season.
Flag
No. Stopped watching around the 3 rd or 4th episode.
Flag
I only watched the pilot and it was terrible. Can't say that I see this as being surprising.
Flag
I only saw the pilot. I wasn't impressed.
Flag
I tried to watch it but the series just didn't peak my interest. I am not sad to see this series cancelled.
Flag
I liked it. I enjoy watching the back stories for both OUAT & OUATIW characters. I'm so relieved it won't end on a cliff hanger,
Flag
I didn't mind it but it was no where near the standards of the character development and story arcs as OUAT
Flag
Nowhere near the 'standards' of the 'character development' on OUAT?? Ahahahahahaha! OUATiW had no coherence or cinematic quality, but lol, neither has OUAT for a very long time. I don't mean to sound this snarky, but I've never understood why some people here at tv.com have this delusion that Once Upon a Time is actually a well executed show. Sure there are a few (very few) good performances and some creative ideas, but it's mostly just a train wreck.
Flag
1) There are some actors that are top notch most notably Regina and Rumples.

2) People have some obsessed shipping mania by putting the 2 main characters (Ema and Regina) in some imaginary lesbo romance (basically their version of Sterek)

3) Because the subject matter is fairy tales, people cut them some slacks since fairy tales themselves are filled with nothing but extremely flat and undeveloped characters.
Flag
Apparently I'm not entirely up to snuff on my ships... Sterek?
Flag
LOL, well, I guess you don't hang out in their forums quite often ;)

The term "Sterek" is so outrageously used, even the actors constantly laugh about it.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkrNlmgtbPM
Flag
@JasonMelvill- Lol I'm proud of myself then, cuz the only ppl I could think of that u may have been talking about was Stiles and Derek hahaha. I just didn't ask that directly cuz frankly it seems ludicrous to me that people even ship them..
Flag
Yeah, sorry. I meant the Teen Wolf shipping.
Flag
I'm guessing, but I think that's Stiles/Derek from Teen Wolf.
Flag
Yep, I have the same opinion on OUAT. Train wreck, joke of a TV show. Lily's recaps are what's keeping me watching. She is so articulate, love her work.
Flag
:) all views are greatly appreciated, I'm very proud to say I love OUAT
Flag
LOL, OUAT having standards, too funny! I'll miss the spin-off just like I'll miss OUAT if it ever disappears, but I don't pretend either one of them has quality anything unless you count entertaining absurdity as a quality of a good show.
Flag
It was an okay show. I am glad they kept it self-contained so that it doesn't get canceled on a cliffhanger. I did not put too much faith in a second season, but I thought the idea of OUAT in . . spinoffs was good. This season wonderland, next season atlantis, following with Oz, but the original OUAT is doing that now. Anyway, Wonderland was a good idea, but not as captivating as the original. Maybe OUAT (storybrooke) can incorporate some of the Wonderland characters depending on this season ends. Will and the rabbit for example. Not Anastasia.
Flag
Once...was enough for me. Bad CGI aside, it wasn't even close to good.
Flag
Yeah the show wasn't that great but I kept watching just for Michael Socha - I'm sooo going to miss him. :(
Hope he shows up in Storybrooke!
Flag
Once a time in what?
Flag
No offense to the show's producers but it really sucked and eventually had to end................!!!!
Flag
I actually thought that the show became much better since the first episode. Those first couple of episodes were just bad. Hopefully some of these characters will be featured in the parent show sometime in the future..
Flag
I'm sorry, but this is the only way the show would go.

It had to end.
Flag
Watched the pilot was shockingly bad , those fake lips scared me away!
Flag
Almost freaked out until I read the word "Wonderland" *whew !
Flag
OUAT is one of ABC's highest-rated scripted shows - no chance of it disappearing any time soon. In addition it's on season 3. Nowadays shows need minimum 4 seasons for syndication (88 eps) and production companies will practically give away the show if they have to to get the final season they need and make the money back in syndication later. In short: if a show's gotten three seasons, you can be sure it's going to get a 4th season renewal, even if the network airs it on Saturdays at 4AM. :-) Actually that's not much of a joke considering that's practically what happened for the 4th season of 'Til Death.
Flag
Yeah, I was like HELL NO! And later ah it's Wonderland that show I didn't care for!
Flag
NOOOOO!!! Worst news of the day!! This was such a great show that never really got a chance due to the CGI complaints (it was supposed to look surreal - Its Wonderland - although I'll admit, the caterpillar was ugly, lame and had a stupid voice) and also the fact that it was admittedly aired on the wrong night at the wrong time! I love Alice (and the actress who played here - she did such a great job!) and her original outfit! if I ever make it to a ComicCon that would be my outfit choice FOR SURE! (The long maroon leather vest with the frilly skirt and tights with a sword across the back, So BA!) Gonna miss this one badly and hope that this doesn't discourage the OUaT showrunners from future spin-offs. Although I still love the original too, it was nice to not have to worry about Emma/Regina/Henry/MaryMargaret drama for a change! :(
Flag
Man, I actually liked this show.
Flag
Me, too. It took the lessons from Once Upon a Time and made a more solid central plot. Once Upon a Time got lost in its second season and picked things back up with season 3.
Flag
I'm gonna miss it. Especially Michael Socha!!! Although I'm not surprised that it didn't made it into a second season.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members