Once Upon a Time in Wonderland S01E03: "Forget Me Not"

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland curiously buried its perfect pilot two episodes into the season. Like, what a relatively great episode! Sure, at first it was the usual routine: me shaking my head at those CGI backgrounds, and I got only angrier when the Knave of Hearts (or as we shall call him now, WILL SCARLET) pulled Alice from the CGI path—lined with its copy-paste grass and copy-paste trees—into a Steam Punk Underland and over to a whole full-size CGI character. Sigh. OUATW you should know what you’re up against: a limited ability to 3-D render, apparently.

But then just as I was priming my coal heart for a snark session, this jolly little head on a platter of Jell-O woke me up by SCREAMING AT ME!

At last! Something weird and unsettling and sinister! Boy, if I wanted weird and unsettling and sinister I had come to the right place, right Grendl?

So began a veritable horror movie plot: In order to get the Forget-Me-Knot noose and figure out who had filched the genie bottle that would retrieve Cyrus, Alice and Will would have to invade the house of the Grendl, a beasty creature in desperate need of a Clarisonic who spent his days reminiscing over his long-lost wife and stripping human flesh off bones. Everything from the moment Will and Alice fell into his Buffalo Bill pit was delightfully horror-movie-esque. I was smiling like a dizzy schoolgirl at them waking up in a house alongside human remains, the Grendl’s half-trashpile/half-untouched home, the skeleton in the corner, the enchanted noose hanging over the table. It was the first time the feverish dream logic of Wonderland was actually a plus: What was all this leading up to?

Meanwhile the Red Queen and Jafar were poring over a humongous grimmoire and eating Turkish Delight while mocking Cyrus about how soon Alice was going to use one of her wishes—bringing him just that much closer to being under Jafar’s complete power. Yeah no that’s at least not going to happen until the mid-season finale. Even Cyrus was like "In Episode 3? Fat chance, dudes."

The third strand in this elaborate French Braid updo of a plot was the flashbacks to Fairy Tale Land/the Enchanted Forest, and the story of Will Scarlet’s initiation into the Merrie Men (LOL), which involved becoming blood brothers with Robin Hood. Very unsanitary, not up to OSHA standards. It also meant getting a lecture in communism? 

Robin Hood has this cool trick for rationalizing the straight-up stealing of riches: If you steal and give the booty to someone else, it’s not really stealing. in common parlance we call this using a "fence." Then we learned that Will Scarlet was actually a double agent within the Merrie Men and was just pulling a long con at the behest of his sweetie Anastasia. Yes, he was convincing the Merrie Men to help him break into some kind of Europe-y hybrid of Neuschwanstein Castle and Notre Dame to take Kristen Bauer’s mirror! (Her voice gave me CHILLS.)

The show concealed the face of Will's sweetheart when she first appeared snoozing in bed, but I think we all immediately knew this was the Red Queen before she got all... Red. When she was still the Pink Queen, basically. 

They made it this huge "DUN DUN DUN" reveal at the end of the episode, but there was literally no other female on this show besides Alice, so I think we all put that together pretty quick: Will and Red Queen got HISTORY. DRAMA. SEXY MEMORIES. BEDTIME STORIES THEY TOLD WITH THEIR BODDDAAAAYS. Okay well not quite that lascivious but they used to be in love.

With that one little twist this show is suddenly 300 percent better. The Red Queen is suddenly one-million times more intriguing. THIS SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN THE PILOT!! I would have rated the pilot so much higher if it had included the last scene of this episode in the first act: How touching was it to see a fresh-faced, flower-haired Red Queen, clearly smitten with the Knave of Hearts, as they jumped "through the looking glass" out of Fairy Tale Land and into Wonderland? Just a fantastic writing decision, it complicates the characters, it complicates the situation. Now I am looking forward to a future episode where they see each other again for the first time: the first atom of excitement I’ve felt for this show. 

Anyway, stealing the mirror got him in hella trouble with Robin Hood and the Merrie Men (a.k.a. Robin let him go after telling him he wasn’t mad, just disappointed) but it also gave Will just the level of understanding of what it's like to lose the woman you love so that he could relate, Dr. Phil-style, to Grendl. For about five minutes. And then Grendl, as he is wont, got unreasonable and hungry and Alice threw open the door and there was the Bandercooch!

I mean Bandersnatch. Boy, what a horrifying, piglike piece of CGI this was! In it came and bucked and rendered all over the place, until Alice managed to fool it into charging at the noose and then she kind of hung it from the ceiling? It was a little disturbing. I don’t like to see any kind of creature, CGI or else-wise, tortured and hung from a ceiling, but at least the scene was making me think and feel something, another first for the show. Eventually the Bandervagine died and immediately blew apart like cigarette ash (convenient), and Grendl let them take the rope and go, because they had basically taped over his interactions with his wife in the Forget-Me-Knot rope loop. Awww.

The rope loop allowed them to discover that John Lithgow was a turncoat and had retrieved the genie bottle for the Red Queen, great. Will then made the decision to burn the rope rather than return it to the caterpillar, who would certainly use it for evil and whose interactions involved a lot of CGI rendering. As an audience we knew Will’s good karma for this act had already paid off, as Jafar was currently in Underland, sneering at the Firefly cosplayers while waiting for the Knave to return.

Cyrus had also had a hand in helping our heroes this week, by making excellent facial expressions! When they suggested that the Banderpoon was Alice’s worst nightmare, he did a restrained look of concern that made them send the Bandercrotch after her—when he knew full well she had no problem fighting Bandergroins. Haha, Cyrus you’re clever as a mime!

So, lots of great developments this week: They’ve found out the Rabbit is a double agent and that the Red Queen is in possession of Cyrus’s bottle. We know the Red Queen and Will were lovers at one point. Alice has been tested and she is NOT about to use those wishes—even, apparently, when her life depends on it. These are all very cool things! Well done, Wonderland. But please put all the good stuff you can upfront—I can’t believe we had to wade through two weeks of buildup to get to the heart of the matter here. The KNAVE of the heart of the matter! Sorry, that was bad. Banderchocha. Okay I’m done.

QUESTIONS:

... Do you think the show successfully gave at least 100 kids nightmares with this episode?

... How soon did you predict the Red Queen and Knave had a history (before this episode even?)

... Jafar’s hair: Should it get its own billing and title credit?

... Should this show always be scary?

... How annoying is ABC’s spiderweb logo takin’ up three inches of lower lefthand corner real estate? Just me or is that crazy intrusive?

... How are you feeling about this show right now?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

89 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Bandervagine? Bandercrotch? Bandergroins? XDD
Flag
I knew the Red Queen and the Knave must have had a history, but I didn't predict that the Red Queen was Anastasia. This development finally has made me excited for this show.
Flag
Your Questions:

2- So, Queen and Knave... duhh, writers. It's not a surprise.
But I have to admit I was really excited to find out the Queen is Anastasia. So wait wait wait... THAT is supposed to be Dimitri?

1&4- Nothing was scay about this episode. Seriously.

6- Neutral, actually. Too soon to judge. It always takes me at least half a season to do that.
Flag
The film Anastasia is not a Disney property.
Flag
Who said any of the stories were?
Flag
Who said it was?
Flag
Ug it was obvious from day one that the knave and the red queen were lovers. They Are the only other characters and it was clear the knave had a sad back story when it came to love because of his constant pessimism., i Don't understand why they don't just make fables instead of crapy knock offs. This show is actually worse than the original ouat
Flag
Man I'm late to the party. Weddings will do that do you. I had a ton of tv to catch up on these last couple days. This episode was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Character development, plot development, an intriguing storyline..... Why hasn't this show done this up to this point??
Flag
did anyone notice that while going through the monster book they mentioned the boba fett eating sarlac and it's tendancy to digest it's victims over 1000 years :P haha nice to see Disney adding a little star wars to their new shows :P haha
Flag
"With that one little twist this show is suddenly 300 percent better. The Red Queen is suddenly one-million times more intriguing."

I agree. I'm just not sure 300% is enough.

Can someone explain to me why they had to retrieve the forget-me-knot?
Flag
I honestly thought Alice used a wish to get their binds untied...
Flag
For a while I thought she was going to use one to heal Grendel. What actually happened brought back memories from...earlier in the episode, where she wasn't particularly interested in Knave's hypothetical question about whether she would be willing to let someone else suffer to get what she wants.
Flag
... Do you think the show successfully gave at least 100 kids nightmares with this episode?
I hope so!! The Grendel missed his opportunity to say, "It puts the lotion on its skin..." :)

... How soon did you predict the Red Queen and Knave had a history (before this episode even?)
I wondered, but as another poster mentioned, I picked up on her voice. It's distinctive enough, even though she switched roles.

... Jafar’s hair: Should it get its own billing and title credit?
Hellz yes! And did he get it cut because it looks shorter in the promo for next week?!

... Should this show always be scary?
Because it's Wonderland, there should always be some element of horror lurking in the singing flower field; in the mushroom forest; Caterpillar's Cantina; around the path they walk.

... How annoying is ABC’s spiderweb logo takin’ up three inches of lower lefthand corner real estate? Just me or is that crazy intrusive?
Gotta love those holiday logos!

... How are you feeling about this show right now?
Much more hopeful than before. More drama, less turtles!
More+
Flag
The Knave and Alice only being boring instead of fully annoying are the only things the show has going for it. Seriously terrible CGI. But they have at least stuck to a semblance of plot and have laughed at the silliness of all the different realms. Like how big a story do you have to be to get your own universe? Robin Hood, no. 1930s black-n-white movie land, yes. Wonderland, yes. Anastasia, no (although I might be really annoyed if I were Russian 'cause that's straight up real people, real death, real civil war, history right there).
Flag
Okay, taking bets here, who wants to wager that the Queen's continuous talking of changing the rule of magic is because she wants to cast a spell that would make the Knave love her again?

Other than that? Hated this episode as much as anything about this show. It really is terribly done and this is just a case where I am hoping they will just axe it. It looks terrible and neither the knave, Alice, or the queen has any acting skills.

Stupid pointless chasing dumb McGuffins. I'm sorry but the plot needs to move up asap. Alice is no closer to finding Cyrus nor making any of her wishes. The queen and Jafar are no where near their plan. And all that happened is what? Alice found out the rabbit betrayed her? We already knew that.

What a waste of time.

And for the love of...

If you're going to put out anything from the original show, why take one of the absolute worst characters - Robin? Seriously?

And lastly, please, please, please stop taking a show that's completely inconsistant (the original) and then add a spin off that makes it even more inconsistant. The red queen could use the mirror to get to Wonderland?
Then if portal magic is so easy then why on earth did Regina need to trick Jefferson to get her to Wonderland?

Heck, why did Rumple do various life time's worth of manipulation if he could just have plucked the same thing the rabbit used in the pilot?

Grrrr, my head hurts from this stupid show.
More+
Flag
I'd take that bet, because it looks pretty likely that the Knave still loves her. She might want to get her parents back and erase everything that happened after, or their might be more to the story. But he still loves her, she's just a different model person (with too much collagen).
Flag
I thought this was the best installment of Wonderland, so far. We've watched two episodes of exposition and now we're reaping the adventures. I hope they can continue the fast paced storytelling. Wooden characters like Jafar and the Red Queen are much more fun when their in on the action and not bickering exposition between each other.

As much as I'm enjoying Wonderland, where this series currently stands, I'm starting to wonder if this could've worked just as well (if not better) if it were a part of the main OUAT series. This episode alone featured Wonderland characters, Grendel, Jafar, Robin Hood, Maleficent, Anastasia, Will Scarlet; it's virtually the exact same show but with different fairy tale characters, flashbacks included. I like it a lot, don't get me wrong. But I also see why viewers are dropping every week, when we can watch (generally) the same show on Sunday but with more familiar characters. If OUAT can have interchangeable series regulars (Red, Archie, August, Belle), why could it not bring in Alice, Knave, etc. and have a Wonderland subplot? They're doing it with Neverland right now!
Flag
Loved the star wars references in this. I guess now Disney owns it, they can do what they like. Really looking forward to this show. Can't wait to see how all the backstory works. I really like how RQ has gone from being bullied by Jafar to actually gaining his respect. You want character development, that right there. Strong female characters for the win :) However, the way all this is going, I'm becoming concerned for Aladin. Is he going to turn up? Is he in this show at all? Cause right now it sounds like something pretty bad happened to him. And I'm not sure I want to know what...
Flag
Aside from Disney owning the Star Wars franchise, how many of you knew Disney aqquired Marvel Entertainment a few years back? Here's to seeing Wolverine on OUAT. :)
Flag
For 17 years I've wanted to kill the people responsible for putting network logos on programs. At least we should round them up and put them in a Gulag. Maybe gouge their eyes out. Please excuse my rant but I really hate those people.
Flag
Another good episode it getting better, the characters and story are developing which is great. The knave is a stand out character for me. I like how this show can be light and heartfelt yet have moment of darkness, I don't think it's for young children it not like the Disney version, but it's not too scary that 12+ will have nightmares, for an adult audience they can go in a much scarier and darker direction but they've made it to cater to a wider age range. So far so good with this show I'm loving it.
Flag
The CW spider= super annoying, and it's on all of the shows!
Flag
Ah, the perks of living outside the US and downloading episodes....no logos here :)
Flag
worth not watching AUS tv though that's for sure
Flag
Still not really liking this version of Once upon a time, but i have to say this episode was a bit better then the ones before....
I was really thinking of stop watching, but now Whoopi is coming as Mrs. Rabbit...i can't wonder how that would be...will she be the voice only as the rabbit or will she be the actual wife...
Flag
Is it just me or does that screencap of Anastasia up there have 4 n*pples??
Flag
That's a corset u perv :D
Flag
Truthfully, the costumers could have done a better job with that, but yes, those extra points are cut-off boning.
Flag
Almost everything about this show is awesome. It have the same magic that the original OUAT had in the first season (still like the show but not that thrilled about the current season... yet.) My only complaint is the cgi/special effects and graphics. I don't know much about how much the budget of this studio/station/production is, or how much they spend on this show and the original but, come on! This shows are on a national multibillion TV station/studios (ABC/Disney), and even with the good effort "behind the cameras", the cgi quality sucks. There are (good) low (or almost none) budget shows on youtube with better effects than this two shows.
Flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Red Queen mention...the Sarlaac? Is that our first official OUAT Star Wars reference?
Flag
There was also a cell phone with a Star Wars ring tone earlier in OUAT.
Flag
yes she did.
I also think that the underworld was a clear reference to jabba's lair.
Flag
:cue music from the Mos Eisley Cantina, as well as creepy aliens: :)
Flag
How the hell did you manage to guess that the Red Queen was Anastasia?! It took me completely by surprise.
Flag
She did it with deductive reasoning, dear Watson! The Red Queen was the only other female lead. Yes, we met Silvermist (the water fairy from the newer Tinker Bell movies) and found out that she and the Knave had a go at "love", but we also found out that that didn't work. The writers had 2 choices: the other female lead or someone completely new. If they were going to go the route of "completely new", then they would've at least introduced her, kinda, throughout the episode.
Flag
I will just say that the large landscapes created with CGI would not be so bad if they could just get the actors to not stick out like a sore thumb.

I did like the CGI before the Knave and Entered the TARDIS......I mean....Jabbas Bar.....I mean....the Catepillers mushroom.

(Come on I cant be the only person to notice that that scene was an obvious reference to the " Its...Its Bigger on the Inside!" scenes from Doctor Who! NEXT WEEK ON WONDERLAND, THE SEARCH FOR A MAGIC SCREWDRIVER THAT CANT OPEN WOODEN DOORS!"
Flag
1. Great episode. CGI was overdone, but otherwise, I liked the pacing and it was just scary enough. Do kids watch this show? It should get at least a pg-13.

2. I predicted that Anastasia was the Red Queen when the Silver Ferry (Fairy) said something to Will about Anastasia breaking his heart.

3. Jafar's hair is scary all by itself.

4. Scary? No. Suspenseful and pacing? Yes.

5. It is not just ABC, but all networks who put those damned banners at the bottom of the screen and ruin my viewing pleasure. I couldn't care less about what they are advertising.

6. Before this episode, I gave this show a 6.5. Now, if it can keep up this pace, I would give it an 8.
Flag
I honestly didn't see the Will and Red Queen thing but definitely a good thing it accomplishes at least three things off the top of my head...makes RQ more interesting. .connects the conceits of the show that unlike the original this is meant to be a love story epic..it also gives more legs to that once they save Cyrus mid season..it also makes everyone able to view Alice and Will as friends alone (and to be the pure thing they both can choose over love if love is evil...Will).

I do hope they keep things creepy. Like in my head Labyrinth should be their goal they are shooting for in vibe.

I am still enjoying this as a palate cleanser to the end of a work week...like ABC a Friday at eight together with your comedies might actually work.
Flag
Seems like a classic bet scenario to me: the Queen of Hearts is betting on Alice giving up on her boyfriend like her boyfriend gave up on her, and the Knave is betting on her boyfriend to remain as faithful as he wishes his own girlfriend would be to him.

Knave is vicariously jumping with Anastasia all over again, the Queen is vicariously waiting for Will to rescue the one being kept prisoner.
Flag
There was no big surprise on this show but it still watchable for now:)
but what I don't get is that they could end this all season plot in 5 seconds :)
Alice just have wish 3 wishes
1) I wish Jaffer would die or at least strip of his powers
2) I wish The Red Queen would die or at least strip of his powers
3) I wish to get the Cyrus back
There done plot done happy ending you can roll the credits :)
it is like the "How the lord of the ring should have ended" :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU

When Alice could say to the Cyrus at the end
"Would you imagine what would happen if I didn't use my wishes and try to free you myself ? " and they all lough and Grendel could said
"Yeah one of us us might have died" :)

P.S:
May I just add as Seinfeld say at The Red Queen pic here
"I think I see a nipple" :)

Flag
They have spent considerable time and effort in both shows to very clearly state that magic has consequences. It actually works quite well with traditional stories that making a wish with a genie (djinn) will almost always end badly. So she can't just wish for things, because she would loose Cyrus and have to deal with horrible consequences...
Flag
A wish to get Cyrus back is small and harmless
she even said small wishes do no real harm
Flag
It might seem small and harmless but, really, you'd still have to be very careful. She might get him back as a statue. Or miniature, or maybe even dead. Cyrus has said often enough that he's never seen a wish end well. Even something small like wishing for a cupcake would probably give a poisoned one or something that attracts monsters. I'm not sure how far the OUATW people are going to take the 'bad wishes' thing, but in a lot of the arabic tales (ironically not Aladdin) genie wishes end badly. Always.
Flag
The whole caterpillar scene was a total ripoff of Jabbas Palace, including the caterpillar himself, who looked and somehow also spoke like Jabba the Hutt.

Not witty, not even funny - just boring and lame! After the first two episodes with the only plot being to free the Genie (which still has not changed!), this was now the end of this show (Wonderland) for me. ;o(

Boring, boring, boring. Not anything like "Once".
Flag
"Boring, boring, boring. Not anything like "Once"."

So OUATIW is nothing like Once?

Once Upon a Time doesn't have doesn't have a team of half pessimistic half disgustingly optimistic people running around endlessly in a land based on a childrens story?

Once doesn't have an over the top villain whos only sinister quality is making you want to plug your ears so you don't have to hear them spewing threats that they never act on?

Once doesnt have full seasons of trying to find someone who was lost in before mentioned land from childrens stories?

I think Once and Wonderland are nearly identical. ONce Season 3 is just like Wonderlands season 1

Red Queen = Peter Pan
Wonderland = Neverland
Optimistic/Pessimistic Pairings: Knave (Pessimistic) / Regina or Gold (Pessimistic) - Optimistic = Alice/Snow & Charming

The only difference between the plotting of the two shows at this point is that ONce Upon a Time has a fanbase of people who loved the first season that are desperately hoping the show goes back to its roots and stops trying to overachieve with its horrible CGI, bad pacing and terrible change of characteristics of once strong characters. Wonderland doesnt have this advantage,

More +
Flag
Here are some more differences:
1) The original has some actors that actually know how to act. Wonderland has some amazing actors but prefers not to use them on screen (John Lithgow, Kristin Bauer)

2) The original doesn't have effects that look worse than what high school children do for class.

3) The original often tries to make a connection between its fairytale mentionings and the main plot (although fails on many occasions)
Wonderland doesn't even try. Oh, let's go to the lake and meet a fairy. Let's leave her alone and continue with our lives. Let's meet the Grendel, let's leave him alone and continue with our lives.

There isn't even an attempt to make an ensemble here.

4) The original at least tries to put in magical objects a few episodes a head (like the black candle) so they don't seem like deus ex machina when used.
Wonderland doesn't even bother to even attempt to hide their use of deus ex machines and pointless mcguffins. Heck, in this episode Alice even flat out says "This very useful object you speak of"

I could go on for days here...

No, Once Upon a Time is far from perfect and quite frankly has seriously decsended to the point I just watch to mock it. But Wonderland? This is seriously everything the original production threw away and now hope to recycle.
More +
Flag
So the Red Queen's name is Anastasia...as in the lost Russian princess (less likely) or Cinderella's wicked stepsister (more likely)? That is a cool twist. I wonder if Drusilla will turn out to be the White Queen?
Flag
Ooh good call! I hope Cinderella's stepsister. That would be a fun twist!
Flag
I figured the Nave and Queen Duckface would have a backstory; however, he being Will Scarlet (Mayhaps this was the beginning of her love of red) was an interesting twist.
Flag
Queen Duckface, I like that one. Almost made me do a spit take of kool aid
Flag
Giant Vampire Pig from Buffy! So cute! =)

... How soon did you predict the Red Queen and Knave had a history? It's weird because I usually watch the series with subtitles so I get distracted and don't hear voices, sometimes I can't even focus on the performances. But this time, the moment I heard the voice of the woman, I understood who she was. She has a very distinct way of talking.

... Should this show always be scary? What was scary? Nothing felt scary. I immediately understood the love story of the monster (although I thought there was a fire and he got burned while she died and that he forced himself to watch it again and again for the rest of his life), so I guessed that they would find a way to save themselves by helping the monster. And the pig was just so cute!!! I loved it! Especially when it died, because it reminded me of how vampires died in Buffy.
... How are you feeling about this show right now? Ok, I'm a little bit more interested in it. Still not a must-see. And I kinda got used to the graffics (one more similarity it has with Buffy). I think I figured out the producers' genious plan: They give us bad graphics so as to make us use our imagination. Respect!

More+
Flag
I continue to enjoy ONCE UPON A TIME IN WONDERLAND; finding it a most pleasant distraction.
Flag
I was so excited to see Kristin Bauer on the opening credits. Did they really have Pam come back for a friggin voice-over?!
Flag
I know! When they were sneaking around her castle I kept hoping she'd pop out and we'd get the big reveal that she's actually the Jabberwocky too. OUAT missed an opportunity there.
Flag
My God that would have been brilliant!!!!
Flag
I honestly gave up a week ago ....sorrry! But I catch up by reading your reviews because there awesome and better than the show
Flag
i guessed they had history since the pilot when we see all the posters of the knave, that's too many even for a thief.
Flag
"How soon did you predict the Queen of Hearts and the Knave had a history..."

Well, it's the Red Queen and the Knave of Hearts: they obviously come from the same deck of cards.
Flag
Did anyone catch the obvious Star Wars reference? When the Red Queen is looking through the book she says "The Sarlacc, this will digest her over a millennia. Plenty of Time to make a wish."
Flag
Re Star Wars, wasn't the scene in the Wonderland pub with the caterpillar awfully reminiscent of the alien bar and Jabba the Hutt?
Flag
Definitely! I was waiting for the Caterpillar to say some Jabba the Hutt lines: "Manchy kabook noonee Solo."
Flag
YES great points both of these.
Flag
After last night's episode, my daughter and I looked at each other and said "Oh darn, now we are hooked." Up until now "meh". Unlike original OUAT when I was hooked with the first flip of Charming's cape on horseback.
Wonderland's villains are still not great. Darker lipstick would help the Red Queen, but her back story with Knave is great reveal. Jafar doesn't scare me in the slightest. Better give him a back story quick! OH -- is Grendl supposed to be the same monster as in Beowulf?
Flag
The name can't be a coincidence, although obviously nothing else matched the epic monster. I am with you on dark lipstick.
I'm so glad Wonderland is finding its stride but can't believe they didn't push this Knave/Queen reveal up sooner! Its opening ratings were so poor and its in the death slot...hopefully this episode conjures up a little word of mouth.
Flag
OUAT in Wonderland with each episode gets better and better. I love this show since the pilot - and "Forget Me Not" only reinforced my fuzzy feelings.

1. OMG Knave is WILL FREAKING SCARLETT O'HARA!!!! (whose family comes from Georgia) That was an amazing plot twist which gave Will, Anastasia and Robin (who's probably going to be a main character in vanilla OUAT soon) an awesome backstory. That was exactly what we needed! Good work writers!

2. Anastasia - I loved her! Thanks to long blonde hair (and I'm saying it as member of Brunette Club and a sworn enemy of everything that is blonde) and pink dress - Emma Rigby - looked gorgeous!! I really can't believe Anastasia and the Red Queen is played by the same actress.

Also I want to find out why Anastasia became the Red Queen. I'm glad we finally went "Through the Looking Glass".

3. Anastasia (that's how I'm going to call Emma Rigby's character from now on) mentioned Sarlac - ABC blends OUAT in Wonderland with Star Wars. I didn't see that coming.

4. Poor Grendl - Awww that was such a sad story :( I really felt sorry for the guy :(

5. The screaming head was scarry!

6. I for one like OUAT in Wonderland's CGIs.

7. I hoped Alice would have a new attire each episode. I'm disappointed. Bring back the Clothes Horse!

8. Shame we didn't get a scene with Kristin Bauer - I love her so much. Still it was good to hear her voice.

9. Sophie Lowe is just amazing as Alice - I love you girl, so much!

10. I really hope that in season's final Alice will have to face Jabberwock.

Questions:

1. Do you think the show successfully gave at least 100 kids nightmares with this episode?

I was scarred so it's more then possible.

2. How soon did you predict the Red Queen and Knave had a history (before this episode even?)

I suspected it earlier (after all Will is the Knave of Hearts) - but the second I saw the girl in bed I knew it was Anastasia.

3. Jafar’s hair: Should it get its own billing and title credit?

I'm obsesed with Belle's hair and since there can only be one hair to rule them all - I say: nay!

4. Should this show always be scary?

Yes. OUAT in Wonderland has many in common with American McGee's Alice - and that's a pure horror.

5. How annoying is ABC’s spiderweb logo takin’ up three inches of lower lefthand corner real estate? Just me or is that crazy intrusive?

It's a bit annoying - but it will disappear after Halloween so it's really NBD.

6. How are you feeling about this show right now?

I love it even more then last week!

Thanks for review Lily! See you next week!
More+
Flag
I have a whole new respect for Emma Rigby now I know her vamping as the Red Queen was a way to make a distinction between the Red Queen and Anastasia. Man the charisma and personality she projected in two minutes as Anastasia won me over.
Flag
Someone is a "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" fan.
Flag
I love all Mel Brooks' movies. However "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" has a special place in my heart :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The Nave's whole end of episode rationalizing made no sense. They didn't steal the convenient magic rope, Lumpy gave it to them. As for the rationale that it would make the Caterpillar that much more powerful, would it?

The rope let one see the last thing that happened in a place, first beyond Alice's very specific need this is not that useful. It is basically the tape from a security camera. Second, it didn't look like the Caterpillar got out all that much, so unless he wanted to see who just bumped into him at the world's worst Mos Eisley cantina ripoff it was not likely to make him all that more powerful.
Flag
It was a bit of fudge. I think bottom line the Knave didn't want to carry a big old rope around.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members