Once Upon a Time in Wonderland S01E13: "And They Lived..."

To be blunt, I’m relieved that Once Upon a Time Wonderland never found the loyal audience and lasting success of its predecessor. It would have said some disturbing things about the viewing public and the collective unconscious if it had been embraced en masse. Whether read as pure whimsical fantasy or a collection of deep ideas that'd been over-simplified into incoherent psychological symbols, Wonderland was a hot mess. It was an Irish stew of tongue-in-cheek puns, laughable CGI, and campy melodrama not seen on television since the days of Flash Gordon. It was big, beautiful ideas dumbed down into baffling platitudes. It was terrible! But it had the courage, at least, to be terrible. The world has an overabundance of mediocre television—shows that play it safe by sticking to a formula and presenting us with absolutely nothing new, shows that are created by a committee that grinds out 30-minute chunks of uneventful brain Velveeta with the aim of providing a restful soundtrack for fans making dinner after a long day of work. Wonderland is innocent at least of the dishonor of playing it safe.

At least Wonderland was a spectacular failure in the literal sense of the word spectacular: a glittering, glamorous, larger-than-life showcase of failure. It was bravely bad. Heroically horrible. Ambitiously awful. Terrifically terrible. And as someone who once got through a truly difficult week by watching a solid 24 hours' worth of Paradise Hotel 2, I can say with confidence there will always be hearts and minds that need terrible entertainment. Terrible entertainment is the most entertaining kind, next to good entertainment. One day, some struggling person is going to lay flat on their bed and watch all 13 episodes of Wonderland on a laptop, screaming with hysterical laughter and rolling their eyes and weeping a little at the unblushing sentimentality of it all, and they're going to feel a lot better. And even though the series must end, Michael Socha is joining OUAT! So it’s even sort of a happy ending.

The finale was as slapdash, needlessly complicated, and confounding as the rest of the season. Alice donned golden armor to give a five-minute battle speech and was captured 30 seconds into the first fight. Jafar killed the Jabberwocky because why not? Jafar tantalizingly promised to destroy Alice’s memories of Cyrus (perhaps they thought they would get a Season 2; this was intended as a game-changing cliffhanger), but she sort of mad-dogged him out of it. The white rabbit was hilariously drop-kicked into the jungle. Jafar was enslaved as a genie by the high/low pitch-shifted Lady of the Lake. A gigantic purple pulse, because why not? The Red Queen was brought back to life because the Well of Wonders Lady of the Lake bought her a shot. Sure. I like happy endings, so why not?

Thanks to this finale, Wonderland's future fans will have an emotionally satisfying, classic happy ending to look forward to at the end of the rusty laser-tag game that was the season—an ending so complete and composed that I’m sure the production team had a big heads-up they wouldn't be getting a second season well before they wrote the finale script. No storylines were left unsewn, there was no signature Kitsis & Horowitz cliffhanger; instead, we saw a very All’s Well That End’s Well, every-character-reunited wedding, presided over by a CGI rabbit, no less.

John Lithgow later imparted the lesson of what Wonderland is all about (finding yourself, which you can’t do on Earth. There aren't nearly enough close calls with father-obsessed magicians in this dimension).

Weirdly, the finale’s wedding, which seemed like a consolatory gift to the cast from the writers, finally had the element that perhaps kept Wonderland from ever connecting to OUAT: Original’s wider audience: naturalism. Just as OUAT finds favor with its viewers by exploring what Snow White would be like as a roommate, or what the Evil Queen would be like as a girlfriend, so too was it highly enjoyable to see what the Red Queen would really be like as a friend when we saw her as a guest at the wedding (awesome, hilarious, would always bring her own wine) and how much Alice and the Knave sort of depended on each other. The characters’ relationships were better illustrated in the last five minutes of the series than in the several spotlight episodes devoted to making the same points, because they simply got to stand around and breathe together. 

And we even got a sort of epilogue, Alice’s wrapping up or the story with a literal bow after reading it to her future daughter and concretely putting a pin in that universe. So for the untold thousands who stumble upon Wonderland while seeking an escape hatch from sorrow in future years, you can look forward to a supremely satisfying ending.

QUESTIONS:

... Are you psyched for Socha to arrive on OUAT?

... What other Wonderland alumni would you like to see cross over?

... What other OUAT spin-offs would you like to see pursued?

... What lessons can future OUAT spin-offs take from Wonderland?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

170 Comments
Comments (170)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I loved this show and am sad to see it end! The acting was 10 times better than OUAT. The only great actress on that show is Emma.
Flag
Wow I can't believe how much hate your getting for this review, This show was TERRIBLE seriously shameful production value for a prime time abc show, the CGI looks a good 10 years old, nothing was interesting and was a total way to mooch off the other show. THANK YOU for calling them out on this crap!!! The only good moments were some of the acting, that has little to do with the actual production of the show. Television will never get better if reviewers Like Lily don't call them out on BS like this.
Flag
Hey! You know what's FUN? Realizing the person who wrote this article didn't do enough research before knocking the show. It wasn't CANCELLED. It was intended to be a one-season "mini series" show FROM THE BEGINNING.

Proof, September 2013: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1032435

That's not the only evidence out there - I know there is a written interview as I've read it, but can't locate it - but there it is, spelled out for all to see, eight months ago.

Sure, this show was cheesy and campy. But its intent all along was to tie it to the original series (which is also cheesy and campy).

My issue is this "reporter" can't do the job properly. Laziness is not a good quality for anyone in media.
Flag
It was written to be one season but if it was succesful THEN they would have done another season, it was not, and was cancelled, try getting your facts straight
Flag
After hearing that Will would be joining the main show I decided I should binge watch this spin off. Pretty good/cute story.

I would love to see the Jabberwocky again in OUAT. She was a neat character that I started rooting for, even though she's a baddie.

How is Will going to come to OUAT when he's happy with Ana in Wonderland? I hope the writer don't break them up or kill her off.

Another spin-off should be Pan's Adventures in Neverland. Robbie Kay is AMAZING. And there's so much to explore. Tiger Lily, the mermaids, the pirates, learning more about the Lost Boys. Seeing Bae as a lost boy.... that would be so cool. That or I liked the idea of someone who travels between the worlds, like Rabbit did. That would be really cool too.
Flag
To be blunt....this is the worst review I have ever had the misfortune to lay eyes upon,... Not only does the writer not critizize anything but furthermore she just throws a bunch of her impressions - not even in a chronological order - to the reader,...well yes, we get it: You did not like the show.

But obviously you didn't get it at all. So please stop writing about things you do not understand and just want to bash,...for whatever reason,...probably because you were in a bad mood while writing the review...

At least there were more than 3 million viewers who loved the show,...and I also believe it is much better than OuaT (which I also like a lot).

Just to keep your "critique" (I think we should better call it a bashing) in scope: The program has a 61/100 score on Metacritic based on 21 reviews.

...so there are more people to appreciate the show around as you obviously believe and may be able to comprehend.

...I am sad that there is no second season, and I hope, that - apart from the Knave - also Alice gets an appearance in OuaT Season 4...
More+
Flag
Since the Knave of Hearts is going to be in OUAT, I'd love to see Alice too.
Flag
'Wonderland' started out slow and arkward, and was a GCI overload, but got much, much better by the fourth or fifth episode. I was satisfied how it ended and not upset there will not be a season 2.

• As far as other spinnoffs, I think, with the current arc, a trip to OZ is in order. Actually, if they do another spin off, my suggestion would be one not set in one particular land, but rather a show that jumps between many worlds, introducing a main character who (like the white rabbit) has unlimited capabilities of creating portals to new lands. Think of it as "Dr Who" meets OUAT.
  • As far as what other character to bring over to OUAT, I would like to see a show down between the two queens (Anastasia and Regina). But OUAT needs more baddies (after turning Rump, Regina, and Hook to the good side), so I would definately want to see Jafar in Storybrooke.
Flag
TO BE BLUNT... I thought that Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was far better than Once Upon a Time. The spin off show was at least interesting and captivating unlike the original show that is lack luster and very predictable. At the end of the spin off I wanted there to be another season unlike when I reached the end of the original show I just wanted to shoot my self from boredom. Also, who does this reviewer even think she is for basically saying people are stupid for liking it. I think she's stupid for having such a lowly job as writing on-line reviews.
Flag
Hi Lily, I like your reviews and find them hilarious for the most part, and while I respect your right to your own opinions about the Wonderland spin off, the only thing that bothered me is how you kind of looked down your nose at those of us to did like it. I really enjoyed the Wonderland spin off, I was aware of it's flaws but if I can handle OUAT then I can handle whatever it's spin off will throw at me too. I'm not some uncultured incompetent swine for liking this show and I'd appreciate it if you didn't go out your way to make me and others feel that way.
Flag
I actually liked the show, but hey I'm a fan of the humorous shows such as Merlin, Atlantis, and this one. But this review was absolutely crap (and not because the reviewer disagrees with me). She is a blathering idiot who tries way too hard be intelligent by using big fancy words and ridiculous writing. Plus she bagged a tv show because it was humorous and had people laughing. Seriously?
Flag
Was it just me, or did Alice's daughter look an awful lot like young Snow White? I know that it couldn't be her, but it was still a strange similarity.
Flag
You know, I disagree with a good bit of this review. I enjoyed the show, and I think overall the whole point was to be more like a classic fairytale that ends in a happy ending. Also, it was always planned as a 13 ep series so while maybe they thought about what they could do for a second season, there was really no intention of it. It was suppose to be a filler during the winter hiatus of Once, but the ABC scheduling person goofed by airing it with Once.

Anyway, I liked the finale. A little odd at times, but still enjoyable. My only real beef with the show is the Jabberwocky. She was...pointless. Jafar was such a badass there was no reason for him to feel it necessary to release her. And once released, she did nothing really. And we didn't even find out her past which I felt should've been included given that in other renditions of Wonderland the Jabberwocky is a dragon basically. So yeah, nothing on the Jabberwocky.

I loved Jafar, best part of the show. And I was busting up laughing when he became a genie. I just wanted someone to say, "Infinite cosmic power...itty bitty living space!" And the best part? As a genie he could so totally come back in Once. I mean...he really needs to be found and set free to wreak havoc in Storybrooke! Maybe he will, and that's why the Knave is going to be part of the cast next season, one could only hope.
More+
Flag
sign this petition
https://www.change.org/petitions/abc-dont-cancel-once-upon-a-time-in-wonderland
Flag
I rather enjoyed the show from the get-go! It can sometimes seem like a failure for a show to end after only one season, but I think it's nice to have a story told without dragging it on for several seasons... plus the ending was just so adorable. The show was short and sweet, and I am glad, for whatever reasons the creators of the show had for ending it, that it ended the way it did.
Flag
I didn't know that the show wasn't going to be renewed - I mean I guessed as much but didn't really know. Watching the finale definitely did seal it. I think it was nice to have a happy ending to everything like this. I hate when canceled shows leave on a cliffhanger.

Michael Socha crossing over is great news. I don't think I'll really miss the other characters (most of them died anyway). I'd definitely want Jefferson back but he never even appeared in this show. Maybe it would be kinda interesting to see Jabberwocky as a regular human in Storybrooke. She wasn't killed, Jafar just put the knife back into her prisoning her, she was like that when he found her.

Not sure if there's really need or room for other spinoffs, they should just implement new stuff to the original series. Wonderland was very messy and the CGI was truly horrible, I usually don't even pay attention to it but it kept bugging me the whole season.
Flag
You couldn't have said it better! I agree with you so much! Am I the only one?? :P
Flag
obviously...
Flag
You should resign as a critic! How you get PAID TO WRITE CRUD LIKE THIS IS ASTONISHING!! The show is one of the best fantasy shows that has aired on american free tv in awhile! No wonder you have so many people belittling you! Find another job you are defiantly not QUALIFIED to write a review for a Depends commercial let alone a tv show!!!
Flag
Staff
defiantly?
Flag
Lily Sparks = Moron
Flag
Staff
a stirring defense of the show, and not at all the adolescent name calling of a sore loser. Well played.
Flag
Lily, lets just hope that there is a family member there that is high in the food chain to keep your job as you are a complete idiot. The jabberwocky was not killed, maybe the failure of the show as you state was not in the show itself but in the fact that you try to write a review and have no clue. Maybe next time you will have better luck in writing a review of what the Simpsons or even better yet Bolt & Blips. That seems to be more up your genre than anything else.
Flag
Staff
Simpsons is one of the most brilliant series ever written. What we're dealing with here is your intrinsic lack of taste coupled with your inability to defend this crap heap of a show based on its own merits, so instead you attack away. Have fun! Then maybe you can go scream at a wall or punch a fence.
Flag
My my, aren't WE professional? *sarcasm*
Flag
...well obviously you have no clue what "brilliant" means... what you just replied to wayne just proves your own response is valid for your own comment.

So please...please...start to learn something about writing a critique...I mean a real critique and not a statement of taste and worse of all, bashing those who do not agree with you in your totally subjective (and not even objectively correct) perception...so please...go back to a journalist school and do your homework!

And btw...of course the Simpsons is (most of the time but not always) a brilliant show,...but obviously, for you "brilliant" equals popular. I guess, if OuaT in Wonderland would've been an audience hit, you would have written: "The show is brilliant and of course it was clear that it should've been reneged for a new season,..."
Flag

Lily, here's the problem with your review. The show was meant to be a self-contained story with a possibility to open up the world if a second season happened, so it wasn't as though the writers knew the show would be cancelled--it was planned that way. Secondly, OUaTiW has the same laughable effects as OUaT and it's hard to find a practical shooting location for a castle when you shoot in Los Angeles. Thirdly, when your setting is awash in broad strokes of color (the Queen of Hearts is most famous for shouting, "Off with her head!" and demanding that her playing card soldiers paint roses red), then you're headed for broader, less nuanced characters.
Flag
Staff
Reign, which has much less resources than ABC, shot their castle scenes in Ireland. I think that's my whole problem with this series, is that with a slightly better management of resources they could have had something worthwhile, instead they fed us an endless stream of platitudes set against some of the worst CGI I've ever seen in my life. It seemed like (and was) a cynical low-cost money grab spin off, and the people who are ardently defending it do so with vitriol and name-calling because they can't site any actual redeeming qualities to the series.
Flag
Lily, first of all: Thanks for responding to my comment. You didn't have to and I appreciate it. Secondly: I...didn't know that about Reign. You make a good point; the show probably was a cash grab, and I liked it anyway. The CGI was bad (except for Rabbit), present-day Jafar chewed scenery like he was trying to eat his way out of the episode altogether, and they write off all the horrible things Amara did because she was trying to ultimately do the right thing (she didn't have a reputation as an evil . I can't argue against the fact that most spin-offs are cash grabs. I'm not trying to criticize you or anything--your reviews are clever and funny; I just disagreed with a few points from this one review and wanted to share my view. No vitriol or name-calling was intended, but I see how my post comes across like an attack. I'm sorry about that. Chalk it up to jealousy because you get paid to talk about TV shows and I do it for free. Keep doing what you do.
Flag
Staff
No I'm sorry, your comment came after a string of comments filled with name-calling, but you made your point with great civility.
Flag
No offense taken, but thanks for apologizing. I'm sure any job that comes with a comments section requires a thick skin.
Flag
Jafar didn't kill the Jabberwocky; he imprisoned her by stabbing the Vorpal blade through her gut.
Flag
Very excited about the Michael Socha news - what's Robin Hood without his Will Scarlett? :D
Flag
I loved it. Some things were left kind of unresolved though. If the Water worked for Ana, why not Lizard or Jafar's Dad? Was the Jabberwocky really just left literally hanging? I was expecting her to have a Maleficent-esque beast mode matching the original artwork but it never happened(guess the CGI budget ran out, as amusing as that is to believe).

Hopefully this stuff will be folded back into the main show with the Knave. But Wonderland had a certain feeling the main show lacked... I don't know. It was very 90s I think, and it had this really nice feeling to it even when it got really dark, whereas main OUAT kind of has these stereotypical TV Drama overlays to it that are hard to spot at first but easier when contrasting it with Wonderland.

It kind of convinced me that we need a break from the regular cast in OUAT. I'd love to see an OUAT series focusing on Ariel, Tinkerbell and a couple of others.
Flag
Lizard wished for Will to notice her; it was suicide by technicality.
Flag
Once again proving why I NEVER listen to the critics.
Flag
You see, I don't agree with the first part of the review. This show was amazing. In addition, the series finale of Once Upon a Time Adventures in Wonderland truly cemented that show as one of the best shows to ever grace television. The writing, the casting, the effects. The entire show kept me waiting, kept me hoping, made me fall in love, gave me chills, ripped my heart apart, and put it together again. The show itself was like a Nicholas Sparks novel in a way, beautiful, amazing, and romantic, but over with just one book, never to be continued again. So as much as I hate it, I have to say good bye to this absolutely amazing series. I recommend everyone to watch it. The only thing I really want now is for all four leads to transfer over to OUAT. Anastasia definitely needs to be there if Will is (really, she needs to be there anyways, I love her!!!), and Alice & Cyrus would be amazing additions as well!
Flag
I honestly cannot tell if this is sarcasm, but you have to be joking? This is a catastrophe of a show, not that OUAT is anything groundbreaking but its entertaining and fun, ill give it that, everything about this was just awful right from the start, and the critic reviews & fan reaction prove that. Either you are kidding us all, or you have very very bad taste in television, this show has some of the worst effects i have ever seen, not fit to call a wonderland, it was pathetic. sorry, i just am kind of stunned by how much you loved this colossal piece of shit.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Oz, Six Feet Under, Orange is the New Black, True Detective. Check out those for some good television, unless your 12, then dont.
Flag
bla bla bla taste bla bla bla
Flag
That's very harsh. It is also a complete fallacy to say someone has bad taste in anything. If they find something to enjoy in something, you shouldn't belittle them for it. I personally loved this show. I am aware that there was a lot of criticism. For example, many people found Alice and Cyrus to be a very boring couple. I however thought it was very romantic. But that's me. I and a lot of other people liked this show. That doesn't mean we have bad taste. I'm sure some people would argue that people who like game of thrones have bad taste to be watching something that is basically porn with a plot (I happen to like GoT too, but they're out there). Also as for the effects, it was supposed to look fake, it's wonderland. As for the worst effects ever, birdemic anyone?
Flag
Staff
Anyone can say anyone has bad taste. What are you talking about, it's a fallacy to say someone has bad taste? What kind of aesthetic communism do you want to plunge us into? Granted it's all a matter of opinion but you have to be able to defend your opinion and some opinions are infinitely more defensible than others.
Flag
well Lily....no one can defend an subjective opinion to someone who has another,...that is why you should respect the taste of others and not tell them: "You have a bad taste"...

Of course you can always say that,...but it has no meaning. Or do you really believe one has a better taste than another one?!...Everyone has it's own taste and whether that is god or bad or whatever is the problem of the person with his own taste.

What you are just saying is, defend your subjective opinion which is contrary to my own. But I accept which points are valid and which are not. And because my taste is the better one all your points are not valid...

You really would've fit with the Nazis argumentation about "Entartete-Kunst" in the 3rd Reich. By just bashing everything you do not like for no reason. At least you do not wish the makers of OuaT in Wonderland thrown in a prison or forbid them to work. But who knows...with you anyone can say everything attitude and referring to communism (I am sure you do not even have the slightes ides about what the word "communism" stands for ...but well why not use it,...it's in the Carter tradition anyway to use the term when there is no reason behind it)...

Please...again,...go to a school where you can study journalism and especially, how to write a good critique. But do not blabber with just your own personal feelings which do prove that you have not the slightest idea of how to do an analysis. And please don't write no more, unless you have done your homework.
More +
Flag
Because who decides what taste is? It is all subjective. If you say someone has bad taste, all that really means is that you don't like the things that they like. And there are other people who would think they had good taste. Telling someone they have very very bad taste is basically a polite (kinda?) way of saying everything they like is stupid. It's just mean and unnecessary. If you didn't like the show that's fine. But if someone says they did, it doesn't mean they are somehow inferior or don't know what is good, which is implied in the original comment.
Flag
If you didn't like it you should have stopped watching it, and from all the shows you listed this is no where in the ball park of the same type. So why even bother watching it at all? It was a great show!
Flag
JeremyB, the effects in the show weren't supposed to look real. It was set in a fantasy land. It was meant to have a surreal feeling to it. (Are you even familiar with the Alice in Wonderland books)
You seem to be taking someone elses fondness for this show a bit too much to heart.
Perhaps a nice long stay in a quiet sanituam, with a good supply of antipsychotic drugs, will set you back down upon your feet.
Flag
JeremyB = Jafar
I love Game of Thrones, by the way.
Flag
But FX is just shallow nonsense, i do not understand why so many people get so hung up on FX. It was the same with video games, when i used to play games. Most of the great games had very simple and lowtech graphics. They were still better games. Many people said "no i can not play that game look at the graphics" and missed out on the experience of playing great games. The big blockbuster movies of today have amazing FX but completely lacks story or heart. They are BAD, despite great FX.

Also several of the shows you list have NO FX at all. They are still very good. Would you reconsider and say Sopranos or the Wire were bad shows if they had some scenes with lowbudget FX?

Everything else in this show was solid. The story, the actors, the setting. So how can the FX drag it down so much? It is just a minor part of the experience.
Flag
Not at all, effects dont really matter to me either, but this show was known for its horrible effects so i just had to point out that they are awful, along with everything else

Ive watched tons of older shows (star trek) with even worse effects, doesnt bother me, its all about the quality of the actual show that im worried about.
Flag
This review sucks if you ask me. My first viewing of the original Once Upon A Time was not until the first show of Wicked. I could not grasp it too well because I had never watched it before. In order to understand what was going on, I tried to watch earlier episodes using "ON DEMAND" but ended up finding Wonderland. I watched the first episode of Wonderland two days ago. I then had a Wonderland marathon and watched ALL of the episodes in the course of two days. I loved the "and they all lived happily ever after" but was pissed to learn that the show was canceled. Meanwhile, I have ordered the original OUAT's first two seasons via EBay. I will start at the beginning but cannot say whether I will like it better than Wonderland or not. ??? As far as the characters crossing over, I'd love to see Alice & Cyrus as well as Will & Anastasia. Why not bring those two love stories over into Storybrooke? Also, I would love to see a spinoff of my favorite Disney movie, "The Sword in the Stone" (King Arthur)!!!
Flag
The show was always meant to be a miniseries with a chance of a second season only happening if the show was a success, which it was not. So few shows get an actual ending, and I feel lucky Wonderland got theirs.
Flag
I think they need to bring Anastasia/Red Queen with her true love, Will/Knave of Hearts. After all, Anastasia was Cora's pupil and probably the only person whose memories of her were relatively untraumatic. It would be interesting to see someone who saw Cora as something other than a menace and bringer of pain visit her grave.
Flag
Please dont let anyone of this show crossover into my favorite show the real OUAT!
Flag
This was the best show at the 1/3 of the end was super good. At the start they said it's the last of the season 1. So are they going to have a season 2? I hope so. This is very good show.
Flag
No, the show is cancelled. The season finale was the series finale.
Flag
Don't know why you are so critical... There are reality shows that are way worse than this and they keep renewing that rubbish over & over. Sure the show was Oscar material but what is wrong with a Happy ending & having true love ??? PS. I love the rabbit !!
Flag
ABC should have just given the cancellation some PR spin and said the series was "concluding". The show had tons of flaws and issues but I think there is something to be said for shows that tell a story and then actually conclude in a reasonable amount of episodes. The way it is now it just seems like a nice one-off tale in the OUAT universe and it established characters that could show up on OUAT or future spin-offs.

I know it doesn't probably make any real sense from a business standpoint for studios to produce one-off single season drama series but I think it adds some value from a storytelling standpoint. In my opinion giving writers/producers a firm number of episodes increases the overall quality and allows them to plan a complete story without worrying about how they will spread it out over multiple seasons if they get renewed.

OUATIW isn't really a perfect example of this but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't go out with a cliffhanger for a season that will never exist.
Flag
Man, reading through the comments... where the heck is the love for the leads? Especially Cyrus! - @woundedwolfgirl doesn't anybody think he'd make an epic Aladdin on OUAT??

Flag
Totally - I kept thinking Aladdin too more than a Genie :D
Flag
What other Wonderland alumni would you like to see cross over?

Peter Gadiot and Sophie Lowe!!!!
Flag
Why? Cyrus and Alice got their happy ending. Bringing them to Storybrooke might only serve to take it away from them.
Flag
I have to admit I loved this show. It was very much like Alice in Wonderland, the book. Things are happening, they're all pretty mad, there's only the barest thread of a storyline and no one is getting anywhere. The characters were all interesting and even though the storyline barely made sense a lot of the time, that was ok. Because it was unlike any other show. It was like OUAT in it's craziest bits. And if I wanted formulaic drama, I'd be watching CSI.

1. I'm not sure. It would be hard to put him in with the rest. And leaving him as a side character would be a waste. I can't wait to see him meet up with Robin again though.

2. If Will is going, then Ana must too. Because they spent way too long sorting that out to have Will turn up without her. I'd rather have no Will than have Will without Ana. Because as much as I know a lot of people were against her, I really like the red queen. And it would be nice to see if we were right about her and cinderella. And I wouldn't mind an update about her and her Prince. Jafar might turn up too if anyone needs a genie ;)

3. OuAT in Camelot would be interesting.

4. Seeing as how so many people got hung up on the CGI maybe at least make it obvious that it's not supposed to look real?
More+
Flag
I'd love to see Anastasia come to Storybrooke, just so she can rub Ashley/Cinderella's face in it. "You're a princess, but I'm the Red Freakin' Queen, bitch!"
Flag
What series finale?! Damn I was hoping for more.

But yes, if only they got better writers for this series, it would have been better. We were all worried that OUATIW would not get the same writers from OUAT.

I was also looking forward to a crossover, but all we saw was Alice going to Storybrooke to pick up a heart.

Because this was the finale I was let down, I was expecting something to happen. Why did Cyrus die? I was just waiting for him to fall over dead. And even the end we see the white rabbit watching alice and her daughter. I was expecting he'd come back to get their help.
Flag
Staff
Unfortunately it has been cancelled,although other OUAT spinoffs are still on the table. And I'm sure the actors would be happy to do a crossover episodes in the future. Since OUAT is moving onto season 4 maybe they'll weave that in.
Flag
There were many times this show didn't make sense, like when they show Victorian England, but modern day storybrooke? Alice is from our world, but when she lands in storybrooke, the cars and electricity is magic to her, if that's not stupid, idk what is
Flag
A mirror might help, cos that's plain wrong but k. Storybrooke is our world. Alice is from and entirely different world similar/parallel to ours in Victorian times.
Flag
1. Totally psyched! Loved Socha since Being Human, so I was excited when I heard he'd joined this show, and I'm excited to hear he's joining OUAT.

2. Hmmm... maybe Anastasia? It'd be interesting to see her reunion with Cinderella, 'cept we haven't seen or even heard of her since season one, so that probably wouldn't happen.

3. More Arabian Nights stuff. Once Upon a Time in Agrabah?

4. BETTER LEAD CHARACTER/ACTOR. And also better CGI. And a better love story.
Flag
I always thought Rabbit was believable, especially considering this was a tv show not a movie. Otherwise, this show has the same bad CGI as OUaT.
Flag
What if they create OUAT in Camelot? Disney had Sword in the Stone movie. It involves Merlin and King Arthur... There was a glimpse of Lancelot in the original OUAT. Why not go there? Plus there's the movie Sorcerer's Apprentice which clearly involves Merlin! There's also Narnia! Disney made them too haven't they?

Flag
I think Disney no longer have the rights to Narnia. Pretty sure it's Fox now
Flag
Staff
I would definitely watch OUAT Camelot, especially if they found a way to link them to a modern era.
Flag
Mr Gold and Merlin face off against one and other would be fun.
Flag
Is it bad that I was booing when I saw that Cyrus was going to get his happy ending? I mean if it were not for him than Amara would not have gotten more powerful and lived so long (because of the well of wonder's water) and she would not have been able to teach Jafar dark magic thus poisoning him further and making him more evil.
Poor Jafar, I really do want to see Naveen Andrews on OUAT preferably with a redemption arc-I love seeing him on my screen even if he is playing a villain.
Flag
Well he is now a genie in a bottle. Maybe he will end up there. We can hope :)
Flag
I love OUAT, the original recipe and even when for some episodes I wasn't as invested in this series as the original, I still manage to watch all 13 (catching up during the awful winter break of thousand weeks). And that made it have a new flavor, I think releasing this show sort of like "House of Cards" style would've been good for it. Or as one the ABC executives said, launch it over the break instead as new series for the fall. It would've been more successful and it would've worked as a tranquilizer for desperate OUAT fans that were going crazy over the break.
I was happy that the ending was such a fairytale, it gave everyone a conclusion and I'm more than excited to see the Knave move to original OUAT. I just hope his character is interesting developed even if he's not in every episode.
And I do think that they should do this small 10-15 episodes arcs from other OUAT universes! I mean Ariel's universe with the puffy dresses might be worth exploring, maybe get to know why they dress so puffy for a ball. Or Cinderella's after the prince was gone? what happened there? did she found him? what's she doing in Storybroke with a baby?
What about Hansel and Gretel!?!?! did they found their father in the Enchanted Forest??
How did Mulan and Aurora managed to get the Prince's soul back???
These are questions that can be answered miniseries style and use them to fill gaps between the original OUAT!!
That's what I think, I would love to see that.
More+
Flag
Cinderella got pregnant in FTL before the curse. Because Rumple helped her go to the ball Cinderella was supposed to give him her first born kid. Her, her husband, Snow and Charming tricked him into signing a new contract with a magicked pen that trapped him (octopus/squid ink that leaves you unable to move for awhile?). Anyway, in SB, Cinderella got back together with her husband (but in SB they had only remembered dating and he ended up getting back together with her). Then I think when Emma, Mary Margaret (Snow) and Cinderella (can't remember her SB name) went out for drinks on Valentines day Cinderella's boyfriend proposes or something. We have not seen them since.
Flag
True, Cinderella got pregnant in the EF but when they captured Rumple it seems that he did something to Prince Thomas, he went to get water to the well and never came back at least it was not shown and hasn't been shown so far. Then after Valentine's day she hasn't made any substantial appearance in SB. It would be nice see her again. :)
Flag
Also, Rumple forgave Cindy owing her baby in exchange for a favour from Emma
Flag
I love this review so much. I don't even want to explain why. I think it might be your creative use of the word Velvetta. Thank you, Lily.
Flag
I give the series a C+. It was good in the sense that it was only 13 episodes and kept the story self contained. I enjoyed it for what it was, a flirtation into a spinoff of the success of OUAT prime. It was never going to be a success and I felt like they knew it, thus they told their story, but left it open just in case they did get a second season. They tied off any loose threads in the finale. I am glad that the knave will move on to Storybrooke, though. Is Ana going too? I hope not, but how will they explain her absence? Some of the acting was very bad, the writing was clunky. They ended up using a Deus Ex Machina to resolve Jafar. That is a cheap way of getting themselves out of the corner they wrote themselves into. The CGI, as has been stated many times, was glaring, blinding and downright atrocious. The main positives are Socha's performances, Jafar, and the fact that they didn't take themselves too seriously. It was an entertaining, but forgettable 40 minutes of television.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rabbit every now and again, Other than the Rabbit, I did not have any characters that I would like to cross over.

I would've liked and OUAT Aladdin, but they already used Jafar in Wonderland. OUAT - Oz, OUAT - Asia (Mulan), but Jamie Chung is on Believe.

Any future OUAT spinoffs should use less obvious CGI, keep their stories tight and if they travel to Storybrooke, use an actor or two from OUAT prime.
More+
Flag
I loved this show i loved all the characters and the fresh story. I also loved the BRUTALITY. Fairy tales were originally brutal and this one did not shy away from that. Jafar was REALLY EVIL. A complete psycho. Even the good guys did not shy away from killing people when needed. Several scenes surprised me with their brutality, like when Jafar was drowned as a boy (or his revenge in this episode) or that scene in this last episode when Cyrus mother made those 20 guys stab themself. Or everybody randomly killed by Jafar or Ana. And the supersad thing with the girl who loved Will. I am not a fan of violence, brutality or gore for it's own sake but i am a fan of sticking true to the really brutal vibe of old school fairy tales and folklore.

All the characters should join OUAT. Especially Alice because she is so pretty and sexulous.
Flag
Hi happy to be here.
Flag
Staff
Happy to have you.
Flag
Staff
And I'm sorry Renato what's his face has no manners. Renato I know your mom's basement is so boring/ it's so fun, easy, and low risk to make fun of strangers on the internet but you better learn some damn manners or I will make it my third job to keep you the hell off my boards.
Flag
That person you just defended? My bff online. :) I was joshing them.

Lily Sparks, you are a wonderful reviewer. Your reviews make me laugh, I nod my head in agreement with the inconsistencies you point out and I read them every Monday after an all-new OUaT episode. I am but a troll. An under-the-bridge troll. I apologize for my rudeness. Towards you, not towards Julietfan2626. That guy is mah bestie. :)

Keep up the good work (maybe tone down the Swan Queen a little... as crude and disrespectful as my first comment was, some points still stand).
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I don't know you stop harassing me...
Flag
Thank you for the support Lily :) Your reviews are fantastic and funny! Sad that there won't be any more for Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, but I look forward to seeing more for the main show ^.^
Flag
You told me you loved me... :(
Flag
I don't know who you are. I don't know where you come from. I don't know what you do. But you're a moron.
Flag
Staff
RenatoB I know it's hard to find something to do in your mom's basement aside from making those windchimes out of squirrel bones, and the internet has so many bright colors and strangers to be rude to you must feel like a crack baby in a crack candy store, but you need to STOP. I've deleted your previous comment and I will delete every comment you've ever put on my boards if you don't learn some manners.
Flag
Shut up you're rude to Her Majesty Lily Sparks so you have no right to comment here and torment me. Unjustified harassment.
Flag
I fell in love with Michael Socha on "Being Human", so, yes, I am very happy to see him move on to OUAT. Something about the Knave was very uncorrupted and honest, despite the fact that he was a thief; maybe a little bit of a simpleton but also worldly wise. I felt like his love story with Anastasia was much more interesting than Alice's with Cyrus. Even his friendship with Alice was much more touching, especially the last scene. I also loved Anastasia. Beautiful to look at and great at playing both the heartless queen and desperate lover. So I would like to see her cross over to OUAT as well.
Flag
I loved Will standing up to object at the wedding, even as a joke. Wasn't sure if I should giggle or if I wanted Alice to run off with him!

Flag
I really don't understand why you hate the show so much... It's just as, if not more, ridiculous as OUAT, in the magical sense. The CGI isn't much to look at but I think the story was actually written quite cleverly and the show as a whole is spectacularly underrated. I mean, I don't wanna say OUAT fans are stupid, but I once saw a comment that asked "Did they really think we wouldn't notice they replaced Barbara Hershey with some blonde woman?!" I think everyone's problem is they judged it too quickly and had in their minds that it'd be absolute crap and so didn't give it a chance past the first 10 minutes of the pilot. But I stuck with it and I'm incredibly glad I did. It kept me just as excited each week as OUAT did, and I think I'm just as invested in the characters. They were fantastically well-developed in the short time that they had. C'mon, Regina's had so much development now that she's full circled a good five times and her personality is doing back flips inside of her... she just makes no sense anymore. But these guys? I love these guys! Rabbit and all! I hope OUAT dares to make another spin-off, because if it's just half as good as this one truly was, it'll still be better than that whole night-root debacle. This show was unfairly doomed from the start, and every negative comment in this review saddened my deeply. I apologize, but this is how I feel. You come off too negatively opinionated and it's making me lose respect for you as a reviewer.
More+
Flag
I agree - the hate that was dumped onto this episode and the entire series was a gross exaggeration and completely unfair. No attention was paid to the nuances of some of the clever story writing AT ALL. It is the job of a reviewer to show at least a modicum of balance. This review has almost none. For me the series got off to a shaky start but genuinely did get better over time. It is not without its issues but unfortunately too many people had abandoned it when it did get better. Those of us that stuck round were rewarded, which makes its demise all the more sad.
Flag
P.S. Neal's awesome.
Flag
OUAT W was not that bad!! yes poor CGI, the story was sound, but just like the Secret Circle you had to be patient!! until the punchline was revealed!! am I Psyched for Socha arriving in Storybrooke or the enchanting forest HELL NO!! the Red Queen yes !! no more spin offs
Flag
- Not particullary. I'm also wondering why it's only him. It makes me wonder what happened to Ana. I hope they don't plan to kill her off again.
-I would like to see Ana go with Will - that would make me happy.
-I guess they could do more with exploring other realms that haven't been featured (we didn't see much of Wonderland on OUAT - we normally get the Enchanted Forrest so I was interested in seeing more of Wonderland and possibly other realms as well).
-That a mini-series of 13 episodes can work.

I was really glad that this show had an ending. I always worry that when a show in cancelled in the first season that they won't have time to wrap it up and write an ending so I'm satisfied with the way the show ended.
Flag
I'd say Ana's a given they just didn't want to announce it as to not spoil the ending. We're probably going to have a CIndererella ep again.
Flag
... Are you psyched for Socha to arrive on OUAT? Absolutely, he was the best part of the show.

... What other Wonderland alumni would you like to see cross over? Even tho it took me an entire season to warm up to Ana, now that I have, I wouldn't mind her possibly making an appearance.

... What other OUAT spin-offs would you like to see pursued? None for now. I'd prefer them to just focus on the original.

... What lessons can future OUAT spin-offs take from Wonderland? No Lana, No Robert, No Point.
Flag
I wouldn't mind seeing John Lithgow back. And his dimension folding rabbit would certainly help out with a few issues.
Flag
Really hope Emma Rigby will also appear on OUAT: Original!!! Love Anastasia and Will together! She and Michael Socha have a great chemistry together! How awesome it would be if they both got to Storybrook together?! That would be simply amazeballs!!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members