Once Upon a Time in Wonderland S01E02: "Trust Me"

Bad news, Wonderland fans: Last week’s pilot ratings were not great. The show premiered to 5.7 million viewers and a 1.7 rating among adults 18-49, beating only NBC's Thursday-night comedies in its time period—and this was after a heavy promotional campaign and a tie-in with one of ABC’s most successful shows, OUAT Original Flavor (which opened much stronger, to 8.5 million viewers and a 2.6 rating). So we'll have to wait and see how much leeway the network will ultimately give it. One thing it probably won't be getting is additional render time for upcoming episodes, which is unfortunate, because judging by "Trust Me," the post-production department is already rendering the show's FX in draft mode. Yes, it's shocking, I know, but Wonderland's CGI is not awesome, guys!

But the series' larger problem, I would argue, is that its dream logic robs the plot of any and all stakes. When the Knave was sent hurtling toward the ocean after a Fairy he’d had a one-night stand with took her revenge (hahahahahahaha), I wasn’t particularly worried about him, because who knows what oceans do in Wonderland? Maybe he’ll bounce right back up. If Alice can get a perfectly sized new wardrobe from a “Clothes Horse” and there’s such a thing as a Tum Tum Tree, who’s to say the ocean won’t be as springy as a trampoline? Dream logic/a downright silly world = no stakes, and no stakes = no suspense. I mean, it certainly doesn’t help that 90 percent of what we’re looking at is CGI, and the CGI is just not convincing. But during our first foray into OUAT's Wonderland, we saw some disturbing shit. Sebastian Stan had his freaking head chopped off and we stared at his prone body from the POV of his dismembered head. In contrast, Alice’s journey just doesn’t have that sort of horrifying, Is this really happening?! edge.

And sure enough, getting dropped from a mile up into the ocean was totally fine. Knave of Hearts and Alice rescued themselves by finding the giant turtle from the The NeverEnding Story, and Alice put a knife to its throat and hijacked it so that it would speed off toward the other side of the lake. 

See, here’s the rub: This kind of playful, “What will happen next in this loony, twisted universe!?” works well in two-hour increments—but a whole season of not really having a handle on the "rules"? OUAT at least eased us into the ways of the Fairy Tale Land while real, understandable threats were still in play. As we learned that Regina was the Evil Queen, we were fretting that she would keep Henry from seeing Emma. As we learned of Regina’s ability to rip out and crush hearts, we were worrying that Snow White would be, um, indicted for murder. There was a balance between issuing threats we could understand and laying the foundation for a scary Fairy Tale Land. But Wonderland has to continually explain to us what the hell is going on, and the scene-to-scene pacing sometimes feels like a long rambling story being told by a little kid who's making it up as he goes along. Also, David Bowie face paint?

Here’s the thing: I honestly like how weird this show is. I would rather have 10 shows just like it instead of one more CSI: Quivering Victims Unit. If I were traveling to, say, Turkey, and I found this show on the TV in my hotel but it was in Turkish and I couldn’t understand the dialogue, I would be endlessly intrigued and not rest until I’d Googled it and figured out what the hell I was watching. These days, you just don’t see pure fantasy on this scale outside of Syfy Original Movies, and I appreciate the naïve escapism of it. 

Which leads me to believe that Wonderland could make for absolutely riveting hate-watching. Not like hate hate-watching, but like, WTF-this-is-so-insane-watching. I know it's early, but Wonderland’s best bet might be to just go so far off the rails that it veers into camp (the fairy named Silvery Mist? It’s halfway there), or to be so visually surreal that it attracts stoners like no other (it’s more than halfway there). I don’t want this show to fail, but I'm also not exactly on the edge of my seat wondering what next week’s episode is going to be, and that needs to change.

Another problem: There’s only one through-line so far: Will Alice free Cyrus? We know this is something that won’t be resolved until at least the end of the season. Fleshing out the dashing Knave of Hearts would really, really help. Hell, where’s the freaking White Queen? Doesn’t she have beef with the Red Queen? Is she going to be played by Anne Hathaway? How about a Jabberwocky?

Anyway, I digress. Let's quickly rewind the tape to the beginning: Naveen Andrews was laying the full weight of his Juilliard-caliber acting into a Jafar-heavy episode (with SO much commitment and dedication, and geez honestly I just love him):

The proceedings kicked off with Jafar almost getting his hands on the bottle and explaining how Cyrus the Genie's previous owner wished him as far away from Agrabah as possible, which is how Cyrus ended up in Wonderland. We learned why our over-the-top villains are pursuing Cyrus so hard: They want to fundamentally change magic! We began to understand the mechanics of the conflict: Alice decided never to make her wishes so that Cyrus would never stop being hers, and thus, to gain control of Cyrus, Jafar and the Red Queen will have to compel or trick Alice into making her wishes. Then Cyrus will be returned to his bottle, and then whoever rubs that bottle next will become his new master and get the next three wishes. Story checks out, great! I love that Alice refused to make her wishes to keep Cyrus with her always, that’s very romantic! The Red Queen now has the bottle, and Jafar has Cyrus, who's encased in a silver cage—which, much like vampires, genies cannot withstand. The math checks out on this story logic!  Fantastic!

But this information was gathered via some rather tedious grandstanding by our two Big Bads, who spent the evening twirling their respective mustaches (note: neither one has a mustache) as if they were performing Children’s Theatre for exceptionally dumb kiddos. Jafaaahhh menaced the Red Queen again. The Red Queen menaced the rabbit. John Lithgow cashed some checks.

Interspersed throughout were some extremely sweet scenes between Cyrus and Alice that were just too darn precious. And I mean really they were TOO precious. Like didn’t they ever have a disagreement? There was no tension. Snow and Charming spent at least a few episodes in a will-they-won’t-they dance, but Alice and Cyrus were in sync from day one like five '90s heartthrobs in baggy denim outfits.  

Of course, the Knave of Hearts and Alice are spending a lot of time together. They could fall in love in an upcoming episode, or maybe the Knave will be in love with Alice and he'll rub the genie bottle and then he will face the question of whether to make the selfless choice to not use his wishes so Alice can be with the man she loves (and not the Knave). Or maybe he uses a wish to make Alice fall in love with him, or… see, there are some interesting conflict possibilities here, but they're hovering far off in the future. Wonderland doesn't have the immediate conflict of Storybrooke, where Emma was chainsawing an apple tree on her second day in town and also sleeping in her car.

Alice suffered through about 30 seconds of wondering whether Cyrus had actually given up on her, but we already knew he was sending her an origami-style email and then she got it and was like Oh cool, we still love each other. Tension over.

Basically, more problems is what we need. More problems and fewer emptyess threats. And keep the crazy coming! I don’t want to see this show fail, but I also don't want to see this show as badly as I want to see OUAT from week to week, and that comparison is not flattering.

QUESTIONS:

… What do you think would improve the show?

… Could Once Upon a Time in Wonderland potentially draw a crowd just for its visual daring?

… Is ABC's Thursday-at-8pm time period just cursed, or was it unfair to start Wonderland there?

... What did you think of this episode?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

111 Comments
Comments (111)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The knave cannot wish for Alice to love him even if he started to have feelings for her and wanted it since that was one of the four rules of the wishes. The show works as a adventure fantasy, but its not so good.
Flag
It wasn't Neverending story's turtle, but Alice's "Mock Turtle".

So;
... What do you think would improve the show?
=> Better CGI (or maybe no CGI at all! Build something out of Styrofoam and cardboard, and it would probably look better than this crappy CGI!)

… Could Once Upon a Time in Wonderland potentially draw a crowd just for its visual daring?
=> Haha!

… Is ABC's Thursday-at-8pm time period just cursed, or was it unfair to startWonderland there?
=> It's probably cursed. I wonder what Rumplestiltskin's agenda is on this...

... What did you think of this episode?

=> It looked like (bad) fan service to me! All these references to Alice and Through the looking glass... The tree, the mimsies, the mock turtle, etc etc. All for nothing! It's like the writers were saying "HEY! Look! We actually read the books!", but did nothing with it...
Flag
CSI: Quivering Victims Unit. - hahaha - you crack me up
Flag
Being seen somehow as the "child of OUAT" , must be hard for this show, as comparisons are always going to happen. Like being the daughter of a beautiful and talented mother. You will never be as good as her or if you manage to do things right, then it is because you are your mother's daughter. This show was meant to be a distant relative. More like a distant poor cousin. As it is the American début for most of the young cast, they were probably offered a much lower rate than what the big names of OUAT are getting. It is a different show. If looked at it in that way, one can then start to see it in it's own light and find it's own problems. The CGI is not that great in places. In my view, the writers are trying too hard to get the romance across as per their brief: "we need a chick-lit, empowerment of women " . And so they have written what they think we want, a strong, feisty girl (pushing it a bit in the asylum scene when she took on the huge guards with bare hands). And for her love interest, they think we want a very sweet, mild character and have come up with some cheesy lines for Cyrus that just about come right thanks to the talented Peter Gadiot who manages to lift the material. He is giving Cyrus a very soulful side. I am intrigued to find out more about some of the many things he has seen. The genie is after all, a very old soul, in a very handsome young body! I am telling you, that character could have gone really wrong. I am enjoying the show. It is light and fun and not to be taken too seriously, after all it has been inspired on one of the oddest, crazyiest and most wonderful books. So for my part, I am just going to chill out and enjoy.

More+
Flag
I thought this second episode was an improvement over the first. They explained how Alice got her amazing ninja skills through the back story. I assume the intent is to fill in more of the things we don't understand through more flashbacks.

Got to admit I enjoyed Alice saying that they would get across the lake (not ocean) by "taking the fairy", a bit of wordplay that wouldn't work in print.

I believe that one of the reasons that no one's ever made a decent "Alice" movie or television program is that they insist on cramming together the two Alice books. Wonderland and Looking Glass land were two distinct fantasy universes. Looking Glass land was based on a chess board, and Wonderland (to a lesser degree) on playing cards. The Red Queen was on the opposing side of the game as Alice (who was a white pawn), but she was not a true villain in the sense that the Queen of Hearts was.

Flag
What do I think would improve the show?

They could start by letting some air out of the Red Queen's lips. It's hard to believe that anyone thinks that look is attractive. It's even harder to believe that Emma Rigby spent the money on blowing up her lips rather than getting her (very crooked) teeth straightened. Are those stereotypes about British dental care actually true?
Flag
This episode answered a question that had been nagging me since the first preview: Why the hell is Jafar in Wonderland?

Now it raises a new question: Why the hell is Silvermist, cohort of Tinker Bell and fellow member of the Disney Fairies franchise, in Wonderland?
Flag
why are you so well versed in the Disney Fairy franchise?
Flag
More importantly, why aren't you?
Flag
Epic comeback.. kudos!
Flag
Touché
Flag
I would like to have some respect for the Red Queen... Does she have any sort of power, besides magically pushing genies from cliffs?
Flag
What do I think would improve? Well, I thought this second episode already improved! I like it! If I could ask for more, I want the Red Queen to die and for some more characters and more story. I would say better effects too, but that's another issue. I thought the CGI looked better in this episode because there wasn't as much that looked obvious as in the pilot.

The show's biggest problem is the duck-lipped Red Queen. Worst. Actress. Ever. It's like staring at a fish.

I think the whole Alice and Cyris romance got a little more fleshed out in this episode and they needed that I guess, but I want more characters soon.

I am not giving up on this show though, it is certainly good enough to keep watching.
Flag
ehhhh..
NOPE.
Flag
I'm out
Flag
Just terrible through and through already giving up on it.
Flag
Staff
dolphin intern, Adam, FlorB...I love the three of your comment in a row. I laughed out loud and I don't say that lightly.
Flag
I still love this show and am still loving the knave, he is great. I wonder if Anastasia is just a random from wonderland or if it the Anastasia ( roman old family with rasp mutant) I think she's a Disney princess. Cyrus is growing on me I would still like to see more of him but I guess there's only so much you can do from a cage. Go the red queen, so from what she said it looks like she forcefully over through Cora which is very impressive and am interested in seeing.
Flag
So, the CGI is still awful, so awful, way awful...

But I love the constant insanity of this world. Wouldn't we all love to get free outfits (complete with accessories) from a 'clothes horse', sigh.

They seem to be hinting at a backstory for Will/Knave and I'm really looking forward to his character getting fleshed out. I especially liked the modern day slips he kept having this week, it's like a reverse Sleepy Hollow.

I don't know how long this'll last, but I'll keep watching as long as ABC keeps airing it.
Flag
Problem is: the audience is not in on the joke.

Sleepy Hollow is one thing because the viewers are familiar with the things Ichabod doesn't get. Since the audience just as familiar as the Knave is with the same things, then Alice only come across as annoying and the joke doesn't work on them.
Flag
The look of confusion on Alice's face is always funny to see when ever he mention modern day things.
Flag
As others have pointed out, the CGI is awful. Also, it is one of the things that make Wonderland seem like a land without rules - the sets reinforce the idea that we're in a made-up (animated) place. If they placed the maze scene, for instance, in an actual hedge maze, it would add so much realism to the scene.

I also think that Wonderland jumped too quickly into the "Wonderland" elements. I think it would have been more effective to present a world that is very close to ours and give the viewers smaller doses of magic and fantasy that way we can get used to it and understand the rules. For instance, I think episode 2 would have been much more successful without the Fairy Ferry.....perhaps instead they could have used the time to develop the Knave character.

However, I think the actors are spot-on and fantastic. Jafar is amazing (and ever since Lost I've loooooooved Naveen Andrews), the Queen of Hearts is amazing (stuck up, beautiful....like a spoiled child, really), and I LOVE Alice and Cyrus together. Yes, it is a little unrealistic, but sooooo romantic and fanciful. Hopefully as time goes on their relationship will be fleshed out a bit more with disagreements etc., but for now I'm perfectly happy with their fairytale romance.

More+
Flag
cgi is terrible, but the queen is wost i hate the way she pouts like a little girl, im just not feeling it

Flag
Sorry, but that's not a pout. That's just her face.
Flag
thats actually worst then, it means she cant stop
Flag
This show is awesome. Yes. I love the dialogue, screw the CGI who cares. Good CGI does not a good story make, as evident from like ALL recent blockbuster movies. Lets take the FERRY (FAIRY) hahahahaha. Also Alice is very sexular and should be my wife.
Flag
Loved that fairy
Flag
The basic story and concept is fairly straightforward and good. It's like a fairly tail version of Kill Bill. The visuals and attention to detail are not. I agree, the CGI feels very dated. It's really feels like it's one generation above what you might see in Babylon 5, and that's over a decade ago. Honestly, they should have saved Wonderland to be used as a mid-season replacement, simply to give the art department time to re-render and improve the visuals.

They also missed what worked well with Once Upon a Time, and didn't carry that formula to Wonderland. In Once there's a duality in real world and fairytale world. In Wonderland, it's basically 95% wonderland, and 5% Aladdin.

I think this will last one season, and Disney might just continue on with Once, or develop another spin-off based on something like the Wizard of Oz.
Flag
This was a terrible episode, worst then the first one...
It is so boring and fake...the fights are so terribly done...can't watch it..
It is nothing like the original UOAT...that one rules..this is just a sort of copycat but then around one specific character.....doesn't work for me...
So no 4 episode thing i do....sorry..
Flag
I think this should have been a 10 episode mini series I really love this show it gives me a break from stuff like Elementary, Scandal, Law and order and the other cop shows i don't know mabey people don't like enchanted shows i love it and will continue to watch
Flag
I like the miniseries Idea your right thats what they should do
Flag
Question is: Do I want a break from it? There is simply no sensible way to adress the issues covered by Elementary this week - I suppose the same could be said for Law & Order/Scandal - but there are no issues to cover in Wonderland, sensible or otherwise.
Flag
I actually really like this. Maybe it's just me, but with the two main groups (good and bad) and some clear direction and purpose (Coming to get you, regardless of what you want!) It feels like there are things happening. Maybe that won't last long, but so far I like it. Just waiting to see if Cyrus and Alice get back together is enough to keep me going. Not to mention finding out about the Knave. I'm going to take a wild guess and say from Alice's dragon comment, that she's going to have to fight a jabberwocky at some point. But right now I'm loving the simplicity. They're focusing on the personal relationships while working their way through typical quest plot. It actually feels more like a movie in parts than a tv show.
Flag
I couldn't bring myself to watch this week. I really wanted to give it the 4 episode test but honestly if i can't even remember its on I clearly am not that interested.

Other than being bored by the love story and the villans and unimpressed with the CGI, I knew the show was missing something and here's what I think it is:

OUTA started with Snow in the glass coffin being kissed awake, that is so straight from the classics it set us believing we already knew the backstory. Therefore, the flashback served to show us how the classics were wrong and give us a shock (I would point out that's changed over the last year but gradually enough so it worked). However OUTA LSD version ripped us out of the classic right from the promos.

Its incredibly difficult to build a story like this one and work from scratch, you need to give the viewer something familiar and grounding to identify with or start at the very beginning.

Its a shame this show isn't working out because as you said, Lilly, there are enough procedural cop/crime sceen shows out there that something like this is refreshing. However, I would rather turn off the TV and read the original book than watch this.
More+
Flag
I read somewhere that this show is designed to only last 1 season so I can see a crossover with OUAT Original when this is over.
Flag
Maybe I'm into frivolous, fantastical, drama-free television... because I'm loving this show way more than OUAT at the moment (which probably means it'll get cancelled, because ABC is awful like that).

Maybe because everything is new and fresh and all the possibilities are still there with Wonderland, and over in Storybrooke, the characters have been doing the 'find-your-inner-self-love-is-the-answer' blabbity blah for 2+ season now. And Regina screwed up chance #2047 to do the right thing and be a good person, again.

And I actually really love the portrayal of the Red Queen? I like her weird line delivery and always-pursed lips and kinda am really meh about Jafar (who def. has a mustache btw). He kind of just makes me want to watch Aladdin and see how the real Jafar does it.
Flag
This show needs more Cora/Queen of Hearts! I wasn't impressed with the pilot either, but that's why I keep tuning in. Wouldn't it be wicked to see how Cora took over Wonderland, ripping hearts and dealing with Regina betrayal angst?
Flag
The problem with this show is that they just can't make me care about the characters. Alice is smart and ass-kicking and that's great, but the whole oh-we-have-this-amazing-epic-love-story thing going on with Cyrus just feels forced. I literally couldn't care less what happens with their 'love'.

Also, Cyrus. He's possibly the nicest and most annoying person ever. Which makes him somehow less believable or harder to sympathize with, I don't know. The only moment so far that I actually felt a (very, very weak) stirring of sympathy for him so far was when he talked to the old man.

And the Queen... She is the lousiest villain I have ever seen. She's neither smart nor intimidating, and I can't see any worthy potential for her development as a character. And when she said that the problems of her subjects bored her, and then later she told Jafar that she's the Queen and had to listen to them, that was one of the silliest moments so far! Are you a good Queen or an evil Queen, make up your mind already! If you want to be in the grey area, fine, but show us some conflict at least. Like this, she just seems stupid and not convincing.

Jafar could work, he's powerful and all, but it annoys me that he doesn't seem to be able to do anything on his own, other that to pop occasionally for a little threat-chat with the Queen, just to show off with his little snake stick. I know, it's only the second episode, but in OUAT Regina was brilliant since the first episode. I didn't need any convincing with her.

The only character that I'm interested in is Knave. Firstly, because he does seem to care about Alice, and he's supposedly not particularly trustworthy. I am interested in how that happened, in the connection between him and Alice, since that is by far the most interesting part of this show. Also, what is his story, where (and when!) does he exactly come from, and what happened with that Anastasia they mentioned. So far, the relationship between him and Alice is the only reason I will continue to watch this show.

And please, just give us a little more suspense. Seriously, how do they expect for us to want to know what will happen to the characters, if they just solve the problem at the end of the episode? Bottom line, the villains should be more convincing, the love story less lovey-dovey, and definitely more cliffhangers. It's always more fun to watch a show when they leave you wanting more.
More+
Flag
I think that the series already missed the boat. It would have been fun to see Victorian, middle class Alice evolve into kick-ass Alice. And fun to see her and Cyrus meet and overcome some crazy Wonderland obstacles while they bonded. As of now, I find them to be the most boring romantic couple ever. Sad.
Flag
With about 60% of the budget already going to Queen Duckface's wardrobe, I don't think there is much room to improve the CGI.
Flag
I m quite torn with this show. On one hand I love the cast - I m only watching it because there are several actors in this that I really like. But on the other hand I don't care about any of the characters. Although I want to see Socha & Rigby succeed in America as I think they are both talented and deserve (this is based on previous performances btw). I think I'll problème just follow this show via the reviews on this site.
Flag
I was excited about this show a while back because of this "anything can happen" quality about Wonderland. The problem is that I seem to not care anymore while watching. Most of the time, I have the show on and I am busy playing scrabble on my phone because some of the scenes are just too cloying. It doesn't help that this should have been some very strong CGI instead of what looks like a 90s cartoon. Lastly, I don't like any of the characters which is weird because I am a fan of Naveen Andrews and I absolutely hate his performance of Jafar. I will give it the 4-episode test (if it lasts that long) and despite being someone who almost never gives up on series, I might have to give up on this one.
Flag
Michael Socha was my main reason to keep watching this but oye, this show is HORRIBLE. IDK what, if anything, can fix this mess. *smh*
Flag
I really want this show to make it! The romance storyline has my attention but not my boyfriend's so something to get his attention would help. For us it is the ONLY show on that night worth turning the TV on for so if it gets cancelled no TV that night I'm afraid.
Flag
I always thought it would've been smarter to air this on the same day as OUAT mostly because Thursday already has a lot of shows that are fairly popular (Glee, TVD) but it's too late. I find the Knave really funny and I really hope they explore/expand on his backstory as the show goes along. The red queen getting the lamp was a good step in getting the red queen to look a lot less like Jafar's puppet or worker and more of an equal. Hoping she becomes more threatening since right now she's mainly pathetic.
Flag
I stopped watching after the pilot episode. CGIs and plots were bad IMO. Maybe they should had concentrated on the stories instead of CGIs. Also, ABC should had stuck this with the original OUAT series back to back for better ratings and viewerships.
Flag
yeah, second episode isn't much better than the pilot.. I'm just not buying into this romance true love storyline at all with these two, and that's bad because that's what the main driving force behind the characters are. you've got about 2 more episodes to impress me, OUATIW, or I'm gone.
Flag
I've seen youtube videos with better cgi than this.
Flag
Off with its 'ead!!!
Flag
The red queen is the worst thing about this show. The actress is terrible, her acting is terrible and she's terribly written. The other issue I have with the Red Queen is she seems totally ineffectual. She keeps pretending to have something up her sleeve but she is constantly bested by Jafar. Regina at least pulled of ulterior motives and attempts to hide things from Rumplestiltskin. While I understand the need for this show to differentiate itself from the original Once Upon a Time, it needs a better tie to that show somehow too. I think a few guest appearances by Cora as the Queen of Hearts would be great. I do also think the White Queen needs to be a character at some point, though not too soon on that one.

I love Once Upon a Time, but I kinda hate this spin off. I really do want it to get better though, because I want to love it too.
Flag
Staff
I want so badly to love it but its too simple?! Like its for a much younger audience than me, a 58 year old community college co-ed with hooks for hands.
Flag
I think I'm sticking with this show just for the Red Queen. I don't know what it is, but she's a hoot to have around.

This show's Jafar is kind of weak in comparison -- which is a weird thing to point out as they made him too powerful. When the Queen puckered out "I heve yur buttle," he could have just frozen her again, ransacked her palace, grabbed it and left.
Flag
I hated that opening shot of Agrabah - nothing about that scene indicated a middle eastern desert city.
Can't stand the Red Queen - can't they fire her and bring Cora back - we can all pretend not to notice the change. :)
Flag
I was coming here to say just that about the Agrabah shot. For a desert the ground was unusually green and leafy, don't you think?
Flag
This show is nowhere near as good as original flavor. This was definitely an improvement over the pilot, but you put into words exactly what my problem with the show is: there aren't high enough stakes yet. We still don't know exactly what the end game for Jafar and Red Queen is.
And airing this show now instead of over winter was such a dumb idea. It's a terrible time slot for ABC and it sets the show up for failure. Not that I saw it going beyond this one season, but still.
Flag
Maybe I'm just twisted, but did anyone else notice a surprising number of double entendres? I wish the actors would start winking after the lines, so I can tell for sure.
Flag
Im really annoyed that they are spending so much time attaching this show to the OUAT mythology. The pilot even opens unnessecarily connecting the Knave, the Rabbits, and Alice's storyline to Storybrook. We already know they're connected! I wish they would just move on and dive deeper into Alice and Wonderland's story than every five seconds being like Oh, wait, Storybrook. I hope they move on from this in the next episode. It would give them time to focus on the great writing that envisioned this spin off in the first place. If they don't then the other few Wonderland pilots on other networks worked for spring will take over.
Flag
Loved it, Finally a freaking fairy on this show who doesn't suck (looking at you Blue Fairy, not you Astrid) and I want to know more about Knave's storyline. Can't wait for next week!!
Flag
Really, I have found myself the opposite as I have gotten bored of OUAT. By far, the best creative writing OUAT has had so far has been involving the Wonderland arch: Mad Hatter, Corra, etc. Though I must admit instances like the Red Queen and Jafar were kinda half baked. I loved Lowe's interpretation of Alice. I still have high hopes for Wonderland.
Flag
So I'm a little confused by the mythology. So are fairies part of the Wonderland novels as well as the Enchanted Forest mileau? I don't remember if Alice in Wonderland had fairies. Does Silvermist answer to the Blue Fairy? Is there some *ahem* cross-pollinating going on?

Or did they just have the CGI up on the computer from the "Quite the Common Fairy" episode of OUaT the same week and decide to use the same effects the same production-week on Wonderland?
Flag
Alice in Wonderland didn't have fairies as far as I remember, but given how much of it was a play on words it makes sense that they would take the lay on words into Wonderland as well.
Flag
Still seems kind of genre-breaking. What are they going to do next? Look for a way across a river and have Harrison Ford show up? :)
Flag
I've not been able to attach myself to the characters yet and not sure if I can. I went into OUAT being a huge Robert Carlyle fan and quickly became a Lana Parilla fan. Then knew about other characters through their other shows. Of course know Naveen in this and the voice of Lithgow but the real actor would probably prove lots better with his talents. I can't get into the Red Queen that much. Need some older brunette to make her believable.

Alice is pretty good but I don't want a whole lovey dovey premise the whole season. Maybe I'll do the ole "4 episode" test like here and see if I move on but with ratings not that good, maybe not since I hate to invest and then have the rug pulled out.
Flag
As much as it might hurt, watch the Red Queen in her scenes with Jafar. I really don't think the actress is capable of talking and moving at the same time. She always walks, stops, poses like a model/pouts her lips, and then begins talking.

If she didn't do this, her scenes would legit be 2-3 minutes shorter.
Flag
I have yet to see this show, but I'm afraid that Red Queen's freaky lips will be a reason alone to put me off. She did not look like this when she was in Hollyoaks!

Flag
Looks like Clash of the Titans met The Princess Bride.

It should work of papper, but for some reason it does not.
Flag

(Shark Tale)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members