And so the last episode of the mini-series (well, that's what they claimed) wrapped up tonight. To some degree led to the slaughter by clueless network execs, the show nonetheless made a valiant showing against impossible odds. Kinda like Alice and her crew.

Although some doubted it, the show pretty much wrapped up all the loose endings and gave everyone a happy ending. Where to start? Let's go with the beginning. Cyrus is dead, Amara and Alice escape with him, Jafar gets his father's love and then kills him. Brian George's death seemed a bit... unsatisfactory, somehow. Sure, we all knew Jafar wasn't going to just bask in his father's love and live happily ever after. It seemed to have a bit of a rushed quality, but then again, most of the episode did as they tried and pretty much succeeded in wrapping everything up.

You're all washed up, Dad.

After a brief sojourn at the Rabbits' home (mostly to get Whoopi Goldberg her Special Guest Star credit), the group splits up again, with Alice and the Rabbit grabbing some soldiers (even though last week the Rabbit said no one wanted to join) to take on Jafar, while Cyrus and Amara go to the Well to return the waters and break the genie curse. It's not quite clear how Alice's army was going to take down Jafar, who didn't seem any less powerful before he gained his new powers. Did breaking the three laws of magic make his existing magic more powerful as well?

So Jafar raises an army of the dead. Or brings back some soldiers and appeals to their loyalty so they'll fight for hm. He doesn't seem to control them, and he can't seem to make them love him, so he makes an inspirational speech. It's not really clear why Jafar needs an army of resurrected soldiers, given all the guards he's got hanging around so they can eventually be killed off when they fail, but let's go with it.

Sadly, as I predicted a few columns back, the army of the dead was a pretty grim boring sight.

Klaatu Baradu Niktu, baby

Alice gets captured absurdly easily and taken to the palace. Instead of Jafar making her love him so she'll tell him what's going on with the Well of Wonders, he torments her with how he'll wipe out her love for Cyrus by changing the past so she never meets the genie. When that happens, she'll never come to Wonderland... wait, didn't she come to Wonderland before she met Cyrus? And if she doesn't come to Wonderland, doesn't that alter Jafar's past as well? And how will she suffer from losing Cyrus, if history changes so she never met him and doesn't know she did have him? Time travel, like wish magic, is one of those things people shouldn't think about too hard.

In any case, Alice makes a big (and admittedly impressive) speech about the power of true love, Jafar blows off the threat he just made and gets the information from Anastasia, who he has made fall in love with him, and he's off. Will makes a touching speech to Anastasia about love being messy (and let's not even talk about the sex part), he breaks the spell holding him in place (why didn't Jafar just put him back in the lamp), and they kiss. Right up to the end, the show continues to be as much about Will and Anastasia (i.e., The Interesting Couple) as Alice and Cyrus, and we got to see the "power of true love" again.

A wuv of extwaordinawy magnitude

So Alice gets to the Well and Jafar basically tricks himself into taking Nyx's well water. She turns him into a genie (irony!), and the threat is ended. Conveniently, although Cyrus was supposed to return the water to free his brothers from Nyx's curse, Nyx forgot that. Rush rush. And Jafar is cursed to hang out in a lamp until some attractive English girl releases him, he falls in love, and goes on a series of madcap adventures. Because that was the "curse" Cyrus ended up with, right?

Then it's back to Merry Ole 19th century England for a marriage (Season One, Time For a Wedding!), Edwin remembers his time in Wonderland, Millie and Sarah and the good Tweedle stop by for nonspeaking cameos (the look Sarah gave Mrs. Rabbit was amusing, though), there are some dramatic goodbyes, and finally there's an epilogue with Alice, Cyrus, and their daughter. Apparently they're sponging off of Edwin, since neither one of them have any real-world skills or income to fall back on. Maybe the Red (now White) Queen gave them a few bags of gold to tide them over.

So, my darling J.K., that's the story of my fantasy adventure. Does that give you any ideas for your own books?

or

Stuffed animals thinking: We had to sit through 13 hours of that?!?

So, the series did wrap everything up. A few things like the reimprisonment of the Jabberwocky was kind of rushed. Ditto with Alice's army being defeated and Amara's blink-or-you'll-miss-it death. They left it open enough that Michael Socha can still pop up in OUaT next year as they have planned. Jafar is out there and could be back as well. But really, they wrapped it all up and there were some excellent powerful scenes like Will and Anastasia reuniting, and Alice believing that true love would unite her with Cyrus even if Jafar changed the past. The White Rabbit didn't really change nor do much (we find out his name is Percy), and Jafar was suitably evil, suave, and sadistic, getting what was coming to him.

So at the end of the day, it was a good run of episodes at the end that led to a decent climax that actually did tie up the loose ends. Sure, there were still a few minor things remaining open, but overall it was a 13-episode mini-series that did what it set out to do. Could it have done better? Sure, but that's material for another column…
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I rather liked this show and it was a fitting end. Jafa was an idiot who got half of what he deserved, Alice and Cyrus got a happy ending with no more battles, it was nice to see the knave happy too he deserved it. I actually liked the jabbawalkie she was cool it's a shame she's now impaled for all eternity down in the dungeon.
Flag
You know Alice is a bad ass when she head butts a soldier and is none the worse for wear.

And if Jafar became all powerful, then why did he need Alice to reveal where Cyrus and Amara had gone off to?

Not a great show, but certainly silly and fun. Despite it being rushed in places, at least we got an ending that ended most plot lines.
Flag
Headbutting is one of those movie/TV tropes where it almost never hurts the person doing it.
Flag
It is a typical happy ending and I love it. I will definitely miss it. Loose ends, loopholes, i can go without.
Flag
Don't know why you are so critical... There are reality shows that are way worse than this and they keep renewing that rubbish over & over. Sure the show was Oscar material but what is wrong with a Happy ending & having true love ???
Flag
I don't recall saying there was anything wrong with it overall. "But really, they wrapped it all up and there were some excellent powerful scenes like Will and Anastasia reuniting, and Alice believing that true love would unite her with Cyrus even if Jafar changed the past." And "So at the end of the day, it was a good run of episodes at the end that led to a decent climax that actually did tie up the loose ends."
Flag
Gislef, thank you so much for taking your time and reviewing OUATW. Your reviews are enjoyable and I like how you have responded to comments made!
Ok I'm glad everything was tied up in a nice bow with open possibilities for characters to jump over to OUAT. I found the series not groundbreaking but enjoyable watch. It really picked up steam at the end and I hoping the Jabberwocky (I don't think she died just stuck on the wall) or Genie Jafar makes an appearance on OUAT. Can't wait to read your next article on why it didn't pick up the viewers it needed.
Flag
I liked the jabberwocky she was pretty cool and no she's just stuck in the wall. I hope Alice might even go over to OUAT considering the rabbit was staring at them in the end, I liked how strong and independent they made her character and her skill can be used in OUAT at the moment.
Flag
Glad this crap is over. It never should have EXISTED in the first place !
Flag
You're of course free to post a discussion on why the show was crap. Although given that most people who watched the show enough to make that determination probably had the good sense to stop watching after a few episodes, much less follow the community.
Flag
And who forced to watch this "crap" troll? Just another loser whining in the internet fellas!
Flag
Cry me a river ;)
Flag
Is it bad that I was booing when I saw that Cyrus was going to get his happy ending? I mean if it were not for him than Amara would not have gotten more powerful and lived so long (because of the well of wonder's water) and she would not have been able to teach Jafar dark magic thus poisoning him further and making him more evil.
Poor Jafar, I really do want to see Naveen Andrews on OUAT preferably with a redemption arc-I love seeing him on my screen even if he is playing a villian.
Flag
They should definitely bring Jafar back, Naveen was magnificent indeed.
Flag
I think you nailed it overall. It wasn't briliant and wasn't even that amazing but it was sort of "satisfactory" and the face that they tied everything together at the very least doesn't feel like we just wasted our time watching it.

Yeah, a lot of stupid stuff occured - Just like you I wondered why Jaffar doesn't just make Alice fall in love with him and be done with it. Heck, why didn't he or Amara do it for each other?

And of course it was totally rushed. The water can be used to resurect Anna - Why exactly? And Amara getting out of the staff how exactly? And the Jabarwacky will just remain trapped in the castle?
Nevermind, I have to stop asking these questions.

The only real part that partially bothered me is that Jaffar as a villain was quite terrible. He did all of that just to kill his dad after he loves him? That's incredibly stupid. He worked for decades just for that?
And after that he just became stupidly a sadist and tried to bully everyone. There's evil and there's idiotically evil that goes around tied women to train tacks... It was terribly cliched.

Which is exactly why I asked last week why are everyone in such a rush to agre working with him when it was so obvious he won't keep his word.

I was glad we actually got about 10 minutes without him in the end so we had time to forget about him.
More+
Flag
Ok, so what do you wanted to see from Jafar then? Kill everyone? Make them slaves? He could've, but unless you wanted evil to win, it was going to be cliché and kind of stupid, so good would prevail in the end. This is the problem when magic is too powerful, logic goes out of the window, but these shows are just for fun, not realistic dramas. ;-)
Flag
No, I was simply hoping that he would do something other than twirl his mustache and be the cliche thing ever.

As Gislef pointed out, he just killed his father in 5 seconds and it seemed that was all he wanted. From that point on? He just wanted to make everyone miserable... That's silly.

They should have either given him another obstacle or simply give him an evil plan that would last a bit longer.
Flag
P.S

Was there ever an explanation on how this ties with the original show and Sydney being original genie from Agriba?
Flag
Exactly, where was Aladdin in this? Aladdin was like Snow's father granted Sydney's freedom, causing his death the first place.
Flag
oh not death.. sorry imprisonment in the mirror
Flag
I totally forgot about Sydney!
Flag
Then maybe so did the script writers :)
Flag
I'm sad it was the last episode of OUAT in Wonderland :(

At least Will and Anastasia are back together. I loved their true love kiss. I really hope we'll see both of them again in OUAT.

Thanks for OUAT in Wonderland reviews, Gislef!
Flag
Thanks for reading!

Like I said, I have at least one more article in me, about why OUaT:W failed.
Flag
Although let me rephrase that, as I don't think the show "failed."

"...about why OUaT:W failed to get the ratings it deserved."
Flag
The writers totally faked me out with that almost Knalice moment at the end, when Alice went rushing back into Will's arms. Jerks.

Loved the look of horror on the Jabberwocky's face when she realised Jafar wasn't afraid of anything. I wish we'd gotten more scenes with her, she's brill.

Kind of annoyed that Ana becomes the White Queen. I was hoping for her to be a separate character but I suppose in the interest of tying off the loose ends, it made sense.

Overall I was satisfied with the finale, but not delighted. 7/10
Flag
Follow this Show
Members