Well, first the bad news. The teaser at the end of tonight's "To Catch a Thief" announced that next week would be the series finale. So everyone brace yourselves. It does look like they had enough warning (or always expected it would be cancelled) to craft something resembling a proper ending. So presumably we'll get some resolution of the major issues.

So on to tonight's episode. I can't help but think that, intentionally or not, they're following the model of Sleepy Hollow where they have a definite 13-part storyline. The reduced episode count storyline means that most episode have had a minimum of padding. There haven't really been any "filler" episodes. I wouldn't compare it to Sleepy Hollow as far as the writing quality. But the producers have kept things moving along.

Tonight was a good example of that. In fact, it might have been a bit too rushed. The flashbacks didn't seem to serve a great deal of purpose as far as the main narrative: they just filled us in on some backstory. A kind of "Well, you should know this stuff we set up before we lose our chance to tell you" attitude. Michael Socha still continues to act as if losing a heart doesn't affect his character's emotions in the flashback. And there seemed an odd jump from Cora taking Will's heart, to Will becoming her unwilling servant. It's not that I didn't see it coming as much as you wonder why she bothered. Did she really need another soldier? Just order him to stay away from Anastasia forever and ever, amen.

I would have rather seen them explore one or two outstanding issues tonight in more depth. Like how did Amara get out of the staff? And why did Cyrus suddenly decide that going to the Well of Wonders wasn't the best idea? And what exactly was their plan? Cyrus gets to the lamp, Amara somehow frees herself, the Knave distracts the guards so Alice can get the old prisoner out of his cell... although how he's going to help them stop Jafar, who knows? Hopefully they'll explain some of this next week.

Help you do... what?
Heck if I know--we're making it up as we go along. Maybe your other son the astrophysicist could think of something.

The Knave also seemed to come back pretty quickly from his feeling that Alice and Cyrus--the selfish sods--weren't going to let him have his love story because they got theirs. And... he's right. There was a certain meta-ness to them acknowledging what some people on here and elsewhere have pointed out: Alice is kind of a selfish git.

Still, I wish they had spent a little more time developing him getting over it. But we got Alice as a bit more sympathetic character. And they gave her a fight scene, which is one of the reasons I like the OUaT: Wonderland concept--an action adventure epic--more than its parent--a soap opera involving fairy tales, both real and allegorical. Sometimes you just want to see a fantasy swordfight or a magical throwdown.

I also liked the magical battle between Amara and Jafar. I don't like Zuleikha Robinson in the part, though: she's full of awkward little smiles and grimaces that throw me off when I watch her. She probably gives the most... modern-day? performance on the show.

Snakes--why did it have to be snakes?

I still continue to like Naveen Andrews, who seems to have become a bit more subtle/subdued as the series has progressed. I liked the way he conveyed the reason he summoned the genies from the lamps without the character (and writers) spelling it out. Andrews conveyed why Jafar did it: to determine the family resemblance. He also has some cute lines, like the "Lying bastard" - "Half right" bit. The actor has always been a class act on Lost and Sinbad, so it's nice to see him actually get to do acting here.

Emma Rigby got to have a nap this weekend. John Lithgow was MIA yet again (only in eight episodes out of thirteen total). Peter Gadiot really didn't do much.

Peta Sergeant seemed a bit subdued again this week. I do like the physical element she brings to the Jabberwocky.

Overall, I'm kind of curious to see how they wrap it up. Jafar has to bring back Cyrus and the Red Queen, make the Red Queen fall in love with him, presumably subdue Amara so she doesn't turn against him, deal with his father, deal with the Jabberwocky (Peta Sergeant isn't credited in the ABC press release), all while Alice finds a way to defeat him now that he's holding all the cards. Nyx, Mrs. Rabbit, and Edwin are all in it as well, along with an army of darkness (tm). That's a lot of stuff to cram into an hour. So everyone stick around for the big (series :( ) finale.
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Does anyone else find themselves shipping Alice and WIll even though actors and writers insist theirs is a platonic, brother-sisterly one?
Flag
Yup, right from the beginning, and even after Cyrus got out and they developed a proper non-flashback based relationship with he and Alice
Flag
Yes, lots of ground to cover next week. I wasn't shocked with ABC's decision but I do hope some of these characters turn up on OUAT. I'm guessing Jafar ends up in a genie bottle. Oh what about Alice's dad? Do you think he shows up?
Flag
Edwin? Why would we need him to show up? He doesn't really have much characterization. He's just there for Alice to have something to angst about. He seems to have no personality or job outside of that.
Flag
Well just because it all started with Alice needing proof for her father. I'm just wondering if she'll go back home.
Flag
So, my guess is that Amara willingly sacrifices herself to the water spirit and the power of the genies get usurped so Jafar will lose his power at the last possible moment.

I presumed the Jabberwocky led them to some spell that got Amara loose. I like her and wouldn't actually mind her being a character who drifts over to Storybrooke (maybe she could tell Emma is she actually has a truth seeking power and how to use it since it sort of seems similar to her fear seeking power)

Alice did apologize to Will and rededicated their mission. I do sort of wonder since it was at least implied that Alice found the bottle soon after her and Will's fights with the Queen of Heart's soldiers is when she shrunk herself and found Cyrus. Which, I mean, I guess is why Will and Cyrus seem to have no actual connection with each other. But, seriously Cyrus, your hands didn't need to be untied for you to open the cabinet and get your brothers loose at which point in time you would be their master, you could get loose and defeat Jafar somehow. I really kept wondering what was taking him so long.
More+
Flag
Cyrus wouldn't be the master of the other genies/brothers until Jafar used his wishes. Presumably since Jafar didn't use his first two wishes with the Knave, he didn't use them with the two brothers, either.

Although again, is there some reason Jafar wouldn't use a wish or two? "I wish all my enemies banished from Wonderland, never to return" would seem to work...
Flag
Exactly what I thought the whole season: why does nobody use their wishes?? Alice could have wished for Cyrus back at her side, Jafar and the Queen out of Wonderland forever and could have freed Cyrus with her last wish. Same here for Anastacia!
Flag
I think the point is the bigger the wish, the more likely it will turned out messed up. Like Alice wishing to have Cyrus by her side and ending up conjoined, or wishing him free and accidentally killing him. Similar to Lizard wishing Will felt something for her and dying, leaving him to feel sorry and sad for her.
Flag
But then, Alice made wishes. So did Lizard. I wouldn't consider either of them greedy.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
That's kinda the point. A wise person would not make a wish because they always turn bad. Only greedy people would make wishes. It's kinda like the olden day version of you can't con an honest man.
Flag
Yes, that is what Alice told Will way back in Episode 1: the bigger the wish, the bigger the consequence, since "magic always comes with a price."
Flag
Well, the idea of wishes going bad is traditional, but then you'd wonder why anybody would ever want genies and their wishes in the first place. Word gets around...
Flag
I know I might start to sound like Barney Stinson from HIMYM right now but I hope to see Jafar on OUAT original especially since it has now been confirmed that the episode on 4/3 will be the series finale. I wouldn't mind seeing a redemption arc for Jafar because a) I like seeing Naveen Andrews on my screen and b) because besides the Sultan (his father) I also blame Cyrus and Amara for the events that led up to all this.
  1. If Cyrus had not been so cocky and a cheat than he wouldn't have had to go to the well of wonders to try to bring Amara back since it was his fault that she was burned in the first place.
  2. My guess is that Amara was allowed to live so long so that when Cyrus or one of his brothers had learned their lesson than they could give back the water as the guardian told Cyrus that it was what she wanted in order to lift the genie curse. If Cyrus had not screwed up along with his brothers who apparently were easily swayed by their middle brother than Amara would have died years ago and Amara would not have been able to teach Jafar dark magic.
  3. Amara taught him the ways of dark magic, and then later used him as an adult for her own gratification and so she could get her sons back. No he may not have known that she was just trying to get her sons back at the time but that is not the point. She took advantage of a hurt little boy and then used him again as an adult which is not only horrible but also disgusting. The fact that she actually thought that he would remain loyal is ridiculous-when you are evil and someone wants to get revenge or something else-and when you have nurtured that anger and resentment among other things of course you should expect to be betrayed.
More+
Flag
I kinda agree. Jafar didn't start off evil and became twisted by bad circumstances. I guess he could be redeemed. the other show made hook an antihero type and pan the villain. I wouldn't be surprised they twisted the end to either make jafar repent for his crimes and reforms or realize at the very end he was wrong and dies.
Flag
Well I certainly don't want him to die.
Flag
How are you sounding like Barney?
Flag
I am sounding a little like Barney in the sense that I am rooting for the bad guy and am annoyed with the guy who is supposed to be good. In Barney's case, rooting for Johnny Lawrence from the Cobra Kai dojo instead of Daniel (the protagonist) OR rooting for Hans Gruber in Die Hard instead of John McClane. In my case it is rooting for Jafar (the antagonist) over Cyrus, Amara and some of the others. As I said in my above post-I blame this on Amara and her brood (along with the former Sultan) more than I blame Jafar.
Flag
So basically Jaffar is just killing everyone so that they'll have to do his bidding and help him change the rules? Kind of funny considering not a single one of them ever asked him what he wants or how he will help them.

I mean I know they never said what Jaffar wants, but I'm guessing as Cora mentioned the 3 rules that he is obviously either:
1) Going to force his father to love him (Less likely)
2) Going to try and time travel to change the past

Flag
1) Going to force his father to love him (Less likely)

FYI, the ABC press release says that's pretty likely, although not the only reason.
Flag
Frankly I would be disapointed. It's just so tacky... I was hoping since cora said no time travel maybe they would go there
Flag
He told the Knave that he would resurrect the Red Queen, and he told Amara that he would bring back Cyrus. So they don't have to ask him how he will help them, since he told them.

I'm not sure they need to know specifically why he wants the power to rewrite the laws of magic. They can figure he'd want it to do... well, something to give him greater power and/or rulership of the realms.
Flag
No, but they should be sure there are no conflicting motives.
Flag
I'm not sure what that means. Alice pointed out that, yeah, even if the Knave and the Red Queen are reunited, Wonderland under Jafar with no limits is going to be a pretty miserable place. And the Knave eventually conceded that.
Flag
Well, again, Alice raised those very points in the inviso-tent and the Knave eventually agreed with her when they were drying off around the campfire.

It's the age-old question: do you get the bad guy to do something good for you and hope you can deal with him later, or do you just not let him do the good thing in the first place. At least the episode addressed it. Not very well, but they did.
Flag
What I mean is, for example, what if Jaffar plans to go back in time and change something that would prevent the red queen from being born?

Just as a hypothetical. That would mean that he can't actually make the Knave get what he wants.

It just seems like everyone just rush to work with Jafar without even asking themselves if he'll live up to his word or if he even *can* keep his word.
Flag
Umm.. Was I the only one who kept thinking that Amara isn't out of the staff?
I got the impression the whole time that "Amara" is really the Jabarwakee in some disguise. That they intended to simply distract Jafar so Cyrus would get the bottles and those awkward smiles you refer to are the exact same ones the Jabarwakee gave Cyrus when it pretended to read his thoughts.

I kept waiting for them to go "psych" at any moment.
Flag
Except Amara had awkward smiles/grimaces as well in "Dirty Little Secrets."

I suppose it's possible that the Jabberwocky is impersonating Amara, but so far they've only said that the Jabberwocky's power relates to fear. I suppose Jafar might be afraid of snakes. But mirrors...?
Flag
The ending pretty much said it was Amara. Im just pondering if anyone else thought it was a fakeout
Flag
Finale??? REALLY? And I thought since u mentioned about the teaser last week the season would last a little longer... But it does seem to come to an end is it? Will it be cancel? If it will be, no wonder they fast forward and neglect so many things.
I always wanted to see how did they transform Amara back from her life form. The role of the Jabberwockey is not so frightful as before... she kinda lost her touch, and the amount of acting scenes too... Alice, besides the fighting scene and the flashback, she didnt really steal this episode at all... I just felt everything is too fast forward... And Jaafar suddenly figured everything out made the episode dull. Will there be a next season? Will the season end with a cliff hanger?
Flag
As I noted in the review, ABC is now advertising next week's episode as the series finale. So no, there won't be a next season. :(
Flag
Sorry, just want to double confirm... I love the series... why did they end the series? Not enough viewers?
Flag
That and the story was only intended to be a gap fill while Once was on season break. They would have expanded Wonderland if there'd been a market for it, but there isn't, so they're sticking with the one season contained story.
Flag
but i am quite fond with them now.. can't they just continue the market?? this is just sad
Flag
Yup.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members