We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Well, that was fun. Nothing like seeing a young girl express her deepest feelings to a man who feels nothing for her (or anyone), and then getting killed with a casual wish. Thanks, OUaTW producers. What do you do for an encore: club baby seals to death?

I can't believe they killed me off

Meanwhile, surprisingly little of significance happened this time around, despite the fact that the mid-season (??) finale ended on a cliffhanger of sorts. The Knave seemed pretty happy being a genie, all things considered. It probably helped that the first person who found him was conveniently a) a nice person, and b) someone he knew. So nice that Lizard let him use the first wish for himself. This became a little clearer in retrospect when we realize she's trying to make nice with the Knave because she loves him.

Plus, when the Queen summoned him back out of the bottle a few minutes later, he wasn't at all upset and was back to joking. So Lizard's death didn't really have any impact on him, either.

For that matter... why do genie wish bottles require genies? Okay, I suppose it's a "curse," but the whole process seems entirely out of the genie's hands. The Knave didn't "cast" or shape the wishes in any way. As always, wish-magic is a dangerous thing for any writer to play with. The rules keep changing every week. :(

Speaking of magic, what does it require? What is its cost? The Red Queen let her people starve: couldn't she just summon beers like the Knave does? What's the dark price for summoning a ton of wheat?

So while the Knave is handing out free beers, Alice and Cyrus come to an arrangement with the Red Queen. She'll help them in return for their figuring she'll eventually betray them. Because Good is very, very stupid. And of course, the Queen does betray them, sort of. Meanwhile, Alice bitches a bit about how bad her life is now that she's reunited with her true love. And we realize the Red Queen right: to Alice, it is all about Alice. I'm getting a little tired of Alice's attitude. Good is not only stupid, but it's kind of whiny. Or bland, in Cyrus' case.

You finally get together with your man love and now you're complaining that your first day back together isn't up to expectations. Cry me a river: I'm almost out of lip collagen!

So they go off wandering across a Wonderland which always seems like about two square miles, ducking toadstools and roses scattered about the Canadian woods. At least we didn't get any CGI screensaver landscapes this week. The world's quietest villagers manage to knock out the Queen (magical powers, remember?) and drag her off. Probably because Alice's whining was drowning out their escapades so she and Cyrus couldn't hear them.

So the villagers leave the Queen, Alice, and Cyrus out for the Mome Raths (oh no, not the Mome Raths!), which of course look nothing like Mome Raths. Alice frees one hand (peasants can't tie knots?), and has to give up her necklace to escape. This of course sets off a new wave of whining. After the Queen leaves again, being sick of the whining, Cyrus decides to shut Alice up by proposing to her.

Cute lovable Mome Raths?

Or bad CGI wolves? You decide.

Meanwhile, the Knave doesn't have a clue and Lizard finally spells out for him that she loves him. Since we don't really know her, that isn't that touching one way or another. She then wishes that he feel something for her, and that ole dark genie magic kills her to get some grief out of the Knave. (so, can he feel or not?) And, can genie magic kill or not?

So the Queen finds the generic tavern where they're hanging out (because Wonderland is only two square miles, remember?), snags the bottle, and finds Alice and Cyrus. Because, again, Wonderland is smaller than your average New York City apartment. She uses the bottle to get her wishes, but is so touched by the Knave telling her that she's a selfish shrew that she decides not to be a selfish shrew. The Queen says that the four of them together can defeat Jafar, who is on his own. And then immediately doesn't make a wish to strip Jafar of his power. Or blow him up. Or give him a hangnail. Or something.

Meanwhile, in the C Plot, Jafar takes over Wonderland (no one notices except the castle staff) finds out about the Jabberwocky, a creature of great powerful that can find Alice and Cyrus. I'm not clear why he can't just do some hoodoo and find them himself, because it's not like they have any kind of anti-magic shielding. Cyrus can find the Queen with a piece of her dress, a white rock, and a feather, but Jafar can't locate her at all?

And what does ruling Wonderland mean? Is it just providing funny hats for everyone? If the President of the U.S. fled into exile and some ruler from the Middle East decided to declare himself President for Life, wouldn't someone in the U.S. notice?

But let's roll with it. Jafar goes to a dark tower, kills the guard who is just doing his job, and gets a "What are you really afraid of?" chat with a mysterious invisible woman. Jafar finally looks up (because people in movies and TV don't do that, either), and finds her. I must remember that: become invisible by hiding in the rafters and saying "jabber" a lot. It's the superpower I never knew I had. :)

She is a woman. Much woman. Should her perfidy be less than that of other women?

The Jabberwocky is of course an attractive woman with a blonde wig and black garb. Because that's how the writers and producers on OUaT roll. She brings Jafar's fears to life, and another evil alliance is born. The Jabberwocky has no backstory but no doubt we'll get a flashback or two explaining that in the remaining four episodes of the season/series.

No John Lithgow this week. Oddly, no flashbacks, either.

So the scorecard is: Jafar now rules Wonderland but no one notices. The Knave is a genie but doesn't seem to see it as much of a problem. Lizard is dead just to kill off a (very mildly) recurring character and let us know that being a genie can have a downside. Long live Lizard. The Red Queen is now on the side of good thanks to being told she's bad. We have a new superpowerfully evil villainess at large. Alice and Cyrus are officially engaged. Cyrus has two brothers and they're the other two captive genies.

Basically the episode moved things along. There was nothing too big or epic going on, despite some hints that we might get something big after the last episode.

Four episodes left, with four bland titles. We'll see what happens as they wrap it up. No word on whether the show has been renewed or not, but it seems pretty likely it isn't going to be more than 13 episodes this season.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I can't stand Alice - her character or the way the actress portrays her. I continue to watch the show because I keep thinking it will relate to OUAT and I love reading the hilarious reviews. I am hoping they will just tie it up and let it end. I wouldn't mind seeing the knave back in Storybrooke though - he makes me laugh.
Flag
Alice can get on my nerves as well. The way Cyrus acted this week (3/13) was a little more tolerable since he was not acting like Mr. Perfect. I do have to agree with Gislef though it is kind of hard to root for the two of them as a couple.
Wouldn't mind seeing the Knave or Jafar on Wonderland though especially since this will probably get canceled.
Flag
Well, it sounds like Alice and Cyrus will head to Storybrooke next week, and tie in with Cora.
Flag
Yes I just saw that. It made me laugh.
Flag
I was ok with the episode.
Poor Lizard, I have seen comments that maybe she will come back to life but I doubt it. She made her three wishes (1)the beer for everybody in town. 2)that she had all the traits that Will had described him liking (her hoping that he would fall for her that way). 3)That Will would feel something, anything for her. I don't think she actually meant that as a wish, but since she said wish, it sealed her fate. Will does not have his heart at the moment so it seems like he can show sarcasm and concern and sometimes a bit of anger, but feelings of love are out of his reach. In many shows,books, movies, etc that have genies it has shown that a wish may not come out like you want. Since Will has no heart and cannot feel love, then the only thing I think the wish magic could do was kill her so he would feel anguish that she died because of him (which was probably temporary because of the no heart thing).
I think that the wish magic covers literally wishing that someone was dead so Lizard's death was kind of a loophole that the magic took in order for the wish to be fulfilled, kind of like how Lizard could not wish for Will to fall in love with her, but she could wish for the traits Will liked so he might fall for her. The other thing I believe genies can't do is bring someone back from the dead, so it's not like Anastasia can wish for Will to bring her back (which would be done more for Will than her wanting Lizard back).
Jafar and the Jabberwock was a bit interesting, especially her powers and the effect it had on Jafar (though I was nervous he was actually going to die-I don;t want Naveen Andrews' stone cold fox Jafar dead, especially now that his jheri curl from the early episodes is gone. I want him on OUAT.
More+
Flag
Meh. The creature is originally called the Jabberwock, it's the story in which it is featured that is called Jabberwocky. Although this is a new take on Carrolls work, I wish they would get the basics right.
Flag
Enjoyable start to season 1.5 for a few different reasons. I am happy that Anastasia is a part of Alice's adventure party, Will's new role as the reluctant genie is fun, Cyrus' two brothers should be interesting characters when we do meet them (especially the one in the Aladdin genie bottle, and the return of Lizard!
Isn't one of the genie rules that they cannot kill under any circumstance (Will only remembers one of the rules "making people fall in love" but there are atleast 3 rules that Genies must follow) so I am holding out hope that [Bill the] Lizard will return to the show.
Flag
If Anastasia actually does something, sure. Right now she lets herself get abducted and backstabs Alice and Cyrus. Heck, Cyrus says that having someone with magic should prove useful... and then he's got to cast the locator spell.

It's annoying enough they bring in all-power genie magic, but it would be nice if they told us what Anastasia can do. And how she learned magic in the first place that apparently makes her a match for Regina, power-wise.

In fact, part of what irritates me is that Regina wouldn't put up with that garbage. She'd glare at her captors with her eyes and make them fall down dead. Or in comas. Or whatever.

It's possible Lizard could return, although if genie magic (isn't that genie bottle magic? Will had nothing to do with it) can put someone in a death-like coma for an unlimited period of time, that seems to be good as actually killing someone.
Flag
Very true that Anastasia wasn't all that helpful or interesting this episode, but hopefully she'll be less reluctant to actually pitch in and help Alice. I may need a reminder on this, but it really seems like Anastasia has lost all of her magic. I can't imagine she'd allow herself to be captured by a wild mob to be killed by wolf-like creatures, if she could just wave a hand and cut off all their heads.
Is Will just going to abandon the dead/coma'd Lizard in that room in the village? I don't buy that Lizard has bitten the dust until they've made it literal and had a funeral.
Flag
"Is Will just going to abandon the dead/coma'd Lizard in that room in the village?" Well, he's subservient to Anastasia now, and has to go where she goes. And she doesn't seem to be saying anything about Lizard being dead. Does Anastasia even know who Lizard is?

Although that raises another interesting question. What happens if someone dies before they make their third wish? That seems to be why Jafar didn't just kill Alice and take the bottle, at least until she made her first wish. If Lizard had died on her first or second wish instead, what would have happened to the bottle and her remaining 1 or 2 wishstones?
Flag
That is a great question. I think Lizard has 1 more wish left (1 for the beer and 1 for making Will care for her) yet Anastasia appears to be the rightful master to the genie. But what if Lizard does come back, does her final wish take priority also making her Will's master again?
Flag
Well, Cyrus said that Anastasia's magic would be useful for them, so I assume he knew if she still had magic or not. ;)

I suppose that if she's restrained, Anastasia can't use her magic. And in most of the literature, knocking someone over the head from behind will knock them out, even if they're an all-powerful mage. Presumably she's at least the equal of Jafar, or he wouldn't have needed her help.

But that's the problem with magic. Once you give people super-magical abilities, it's hard to put limits on them. And then you wonder why the only limits they have are what the story requires. For some reason, Wonderland brings out my questioning nature about how magic works than its progenitor does. Maybe the progenitor just does a better job of showing all-powerful types like Regina, Rumple, and Pan.
Flag
I did a little research on Anastasia's magic and all I could find was that the writer's have confirmed that Cora was the reason she gained powers. Since Rumplestiltskin trained Cora to transform her anger into magic, it could be assumed this is how Anastasia's magic works. So maybe the problem is Ana isn't angry enough currently to use her powers, she really seems more sad than mad lately.
Flag
There was such a looooooong break I have forgotten who half the people are, whether they matter or whether I even care.
My advice to the makers of this show would be if you're going to produce a mediocre television show, with mediocre characters and a mediocre storyline (and the worst CGI) don't take a massive long break as the few people who may actually be invested will lose interest! I know I have...
Flag
i was very upset they killed off lizzard, just upsetting, and then the knave doesnt say anything about her after? are they just going to leave her there? she was so beautiful, in both versions, i knew she had a thing for him from the very begining
Flag
well... the knave doesn't have a heart... literally..
Flag
Finding Cyrus seemed like a good place to finish for what was supposed to be one season spin-off, so I'm happy not to continue watching the remaining episodes.
Flag
Thought this show was already dead. I only watched the first episode because the premise sounded like the American McGee games.
Flag
Nope, ABC has 13 episodes in the can, and probably has a contract with the Once Upon a Time people to keep them happy. So 13 episodes it is.
Flag
Is this on tv???? Seriously...i thought this was cancelled a while ago...
so sad to see all that money they spend on this, get wasted...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members