Well, "Heart of the Matter"... and two good episodes in a row. Wish they had saved some of this quality for earlier in the season. Perhaps the show would have gotten better ratings. Or not.

First, they remembered that this is an action show. Occasionally. Underland is still the least impressive part of the show, and I wish they would do something with the costuming. It's more Mad Max then Mad Hatter.

Have you seen my co-pilot Amelia?

Is anyone else tired of the Caterpillar, or is that just me?

Anyhoo, I'm still not entirely clear why the Knave has to have his heart for Jafar's spell to work. Or why someone losing their heart means they have no fear. Presumably Michael Socha is trying to convey heartlessness and lack of emotion, but it still comes across as boredom.

Also, Barbara Hershey's presence seems to be more because of fanwank. Of a "We have to explore the connection between the Queen of Hearts from OUaT and our new show, and Barbara Hershey needs a new pool in the backyard." Maybe I missed something (likely), but who and where is the King of Hearts? Is there a King of Hearts? Why does the Red King seem to have some kind of authority or involvement with Cora? And why doesn't the Red King wear red?

Why am I here? Mama needs a new closet of shoes.

And why does Cora care so much about Anastasia? Just to get the daughter she never had with Regina? It's kind of weird since Cora treated Regina the way that Anastasia's mother treated Anastasia. It just seemed that Cora was invested in Anastasia so much because... well, they could get Barbara Hershey.

Okay, that's the end of the weak sauce. I liked that Alice and Cyrus were proactive this week, and we didn't have to hear them whine much about their personal problems. The White Rabbit served a useful purpose, although wasn't he supposed to portal around Wonderland? Why were soldiers meeting at his house?

The Storybrooke "cameo" was cute, as was Cyrus and Alice coping with modern technology. Although it's too bad they couldn't pay a little less for Barbara Hershey and a little more for one of the Storybrooke regulars. Even just a dwarf or two. You also kind of wonder when this is all taking place vis a vis the OUaT storyline. Was the Knave in Storybrooke at the same time that Zelena was doing whatever she was doing during the missing year? Did she notice the White Rabbit portaling in?

Was that a flying monkey? Great, Storybrooke gets the Wicked Witch, #4 on AFI's Greatest Movie Villains circa 2003, and we get Jafar. Jafar. And they wonder why we suck in the ratings...

Jafar and the Jabberwocky were suitably evil, although Peta Sergeant seemed kind of subdued this week. but still bringing her A game, sniffing out fears. The fact that she can only read fears, not thoughts, makes her a little less omnipotent. Although a bit of odd editing: the Jabberwocky senses Alice and then... commercial break, and Alice and Cyrus have escaped. When did they have time to get out through the escape tunnel?

The flashbacks answered how the Red Queen gained magic, a question I've asked a time or two. We again get the message that anger = power = magic. So apparently all you have to do to learn magic is... have someone that got mad and learned magic, teach you how to get mad and learn magic? Bootstrap logic at its finest. The winter break might have hurt this a bit since it's difficult to recall why Anastasia is so peeved. The confrontation between Anastasia and her mother could have used a "previously on" clip at the beginning.

The show really shined in the last few scenes. The confrontation between Cyrus and Jafar was nicely done, with the characters figuring things out about Amara in about the amount of time you'd figure they work out what was going on.

And the end helped kicked it up a bit because we got some real tragedy. First we got "the kiss" and the golden light show and the twirly camera. The lovers reunited.

And they lived happily after ever...
And then knife to the back.

I donate my lips to science! Or the fire department to catch people jumping out of tall buildings!

Lips aside, I actually didn't mind Emma Rigby too much in this one. She was over the top one or twice, and her cry face is lousy. But Ms. Rigby did some good emoting most of the time.

So these two scenes helped kicked it up a couple of notches. Judging from the previews, I like how the death gives the Knave a motive for working against Alice to get the laws of magic changed. It's a neat plot twist that will hopefully make the last two episodes a big event, leading into what sounds like a major Alice/Jafar showdown in the (season? series?) finale.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?

Comments (50)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I can't believe it is ending. Only one season. They should have just made it a mini series. I hope it at least ends with them going to Storybrooke or Alice's home.
Flag
It was supposed to be played in OUAT's time-slot while it was on hiatus. The executives screwed up and changed their minds and put in on Thursday night. Unfortunately between the bad CGI and some slow plot points, and some other stuff it did not bring in the ratings executives expected. The executives that green-lit the change even admitted in an interview that they screwed up.
I hope Jafar lives and goes to OUAT and maybe gets a redemption arc like Regina and Rumple did. I like both his character and the actor who plays him (Naveen Andrews). With OUAT more established it would be more of a steady thing for him.
Flag
I know I might start to sound like Barney Stinson from HIMYM right now but I hope to see Jafar on OUAT original especially since it has now been confirmed that the episode on 4/3 will be the series finale. I wouldn't mind seeing a redemption arc for Jafar because a) I like seeing Naveen Andrews on my screen and b) because besides the Sultan (his father) I also blame Cyrus and Amara for the events that led up to all this.
  1. If Cyrus had not been so cocky and a cheat than he wouldn't have had to go to the well of wonders to try to bring Amara back since it was his fault that she was burned in the first place.
  2. My guess is that Amara was allowed to live so long so that when Cyrus or one of his brothers had learned their lesson than they could give back the water as the guardian told Cyrus that it was what she wanted in order to lift the genie curse. If Cyrus had not screwed up along with his brothers who apparently were easily swayed by their middle brother than Amara would have died years ago and Amara would not have been able to teach Jafar dark magic.
  3. Amara taught him the ways of dark magic, and then later used him as an adult for her own gratification and so she could get her sons back. No he may not have known that she was just trying to get her sons back at the time but that is not the point. She took advantage of a hurt little boy and then used him again as an adult which is not only horrible but also disgusting. The fact that she actually thought that he would remain loyal is ridiculous-when you are evil and someone wants to get revenge or something else-and when you have nurtured that anger and resentment among other things of course you should expect to be betrayed.
More+
Flag
About those lips. It is a bit odd, to say the least. Because just a couple of minutes before her death scene Anastasia looked like this:

And her mouth actually look quite pretty. I certainly wouldn't mind kissing it.
Her usual lips, OTOH, look scary.
Flag
Yeah, I don't get it either. It's like they do it deliberately in certain scenes.

Alternately, maybe they're like those life jackets on airplanes that only inflate in times of danger.
Flag
I have to say that last couple of episodes are far better than the earlier ones. I think it's safe to say a huge part of it is the fact that they shifted the focus from the awful boring Alice\Cyrus to Will\Anna.

But honestly it's still miles away from where it should be. I have to say when this show will get canceled (and it will...) I won't shed any tears.

But for the love of me, can anyone make any sense from this whole removing one's heart thing?
The Knave clearly had a wide variety of emotions throughout the series. In fact, doesn't it kind of makes Lizzard's wish totally pointless? How can he feel something for her without having a heart?

I have to agree here, it just seems so messy and was mostly just used as a ploy to get Cora to make an appearance.
Flag
Well, as I've noted occasionally, the Knave (or the actor playing him) has acted kind of bored. Does losing one's heart make you lose all emotions, or just strong ones like love and fear?

Lizard's wish wasn't pointless, though. The only way the Knave could feel something strong was through the power of a wish. It took a wish to make him feel: it just wasn't the emotion she wanted him to feel. A wish is powerful enough magic to make someone without a heart feel as if they had a heart.
Flag
But that's the part I don't get. It seems that ripping one's heart out is not losing one's emotions but rather just weaken them? When Regina took out her own heart in the last episode (or was it the one before that?) She clearly was in pain but not as much as when that heart was inside of her.

But when Cora took out Will's heart, he was like "Oh, no big deal!"
It was as if he had practically no emotions at all.

On the other hand, the Jabaerwoki says that he can't sense fear cause he has no heart, but I'm pretty sure we have seen him scared in the past. Like when the bottle was shaking down the river or when Jaffar was about to kill him.
Flag
I don't know why they have not really shown the Red King or the King of Hearts. I know they showed the red king in the episode where Ana got engaged to him but you would have thought it would have made sense for him to be in this episode.
As for why there were soldiers at the White Rabbit's place-they were supposed to be ex-soldiers or something. Ana asked the White Rabbit before she was captured to warn the people of wonderland about Jafar and the Jabberwock and to try to create an army. The White Rabbit mentioned in this episode that it was difficult to get an army together because they needed someone to inspire them among other things.
Flag
And why the Red King wears white instead of red...

My point with the soldiers at the White Rabbit's home was that Alice approached him to recruit people because he could portal around Wonderland and contact people. If she just needed someone to sit at home and interview soldiers, why contact a person who can teleport? If nothing else, have Mrs. Rabbit do the in-home interviewing and White Rabbit (I'd say Mr. Rabbit, but that gets into Utopia territory) do the teleporting?
Flag
Because Alice is not the one who approached him to raise the army, as I said it was Anastasia who asked him, She did it right after she apologized for what she did to him and his family. I'm sure he has also gone throughout Wonderland, the ex-soldiers were just an example shown that he was trying to recruit people.
Flag
One thing that comes to mind as I write up the recap is that a lot of this episode was people talking. Not just whining, but long decently scripted conversations.

Isn't it the staff review on the parent show that says that the writers do pretty well when they have the characters actually talk over things. That seemed to be the case with this episode. They had conversations and wrapped things up.
Flag
Two in a good episodes in a row! I'm excited to see the knave be put against Alice. I hope it keeps up its curerent trend.
Flag
Well there's only two episode left until the season/series finale. but the summary for the finale looks promising.

(spoilers!!!)

The all-powerful Jafar succeeds in making his father love him and forcing Anastasia into thinking she loves him. After Alice, Amara and Cyrus escape, Jafar imprisons the Jabberwocky and calls upon an army of dead soldiers to do his bidding. Meanwhile, Alice and the White Rabbit raise their own army to fight Jafar for the realm and a final confrontation between Alice and Jafar takes place at the Well of Wonders
Flag
The getting Anastasia to think she is in love with him is a bit odd, but maybe he is just doing it because he wants someone else with magic on his side. After all, if Amara (who has magic) is free then he needs someone with magic since he has now lost his staff. If Anastasia is "in love" with him then she will be more likely to do his bidding.
Flag
Right? Right? JAAFAR AND ANASTASIA???!!! YUCK!!!
Flag
I suspect the latter.

It's interesting that the Jabberwocky isn't mentioned.
Flag
Really?? NO!!! Jaafar loves Anastasia??? What about the Knave?? His service in OUAT Wonderland is over??
Flag
That is a very detailed summary! Looks promising!
Flag
ABC is usually pretty good with their press-release summaries. CW and CBS vary: sometimes CW goes too far. NBC and Fox, not so much.
Flag
I loved OUAT in Wonderland from episode one. However, only now I realized the most important thing. Alice IS NOT OUAT in Wonderland's protagonist. The main pair of the show are Anastasia and Will. It's their tragic love story that is the source and the heart of everything that happens in the series.

Anastasia and Will left FTL in search of what they thought was happiness. And yet they already had what's most important - love. Once they arrived to Wonderland Anastasia was seduced first by power / red crown and then by Cora. When she realized her mistake it was all too late.

I've seen many kisses in tv - and I have to say Anastasia and Will's was one of the best ones.

And now Anastasia is dead. Will has to help Jafar to change rules of magic. It's the only way to bring Anastasia back to life.

I'm so sad that OUAT in Wonderland showed it's true form so late in the series. ABC will probably cancel the show after first season and it breaks my heart :(
Flag
Whatever they are doing now is so much better than in the beginning!
Flag
I don't think they were visiting Storybrook during the period of the wicked witch. There has been a jump of a year in Storybrook, whereas that in OUaTiW, there hasn't been this jump. I think they went there prior to the curse beeing broken by Regina (well Peter Pan).
Flag
Possibly, but I don't think there's anything onscreen to support that conclusion.
Flag
Remember way, way back to episode 1? The setup was that the Rabbit took Will back to Wonderland from Storybrooke relatively shortly after the (first) curse had been broken by Emma's kiss to Henry.

Since, going off of the OUaTiW storyline, it doesn't seem that Alice and Will have been in Wonderland all that long (maybe a week? two at the most?), it's only a logical conclusion that the jump of a year in Storybrooke hasn't happened yet.

That being said, continuity between the two shows has me at least scratching my head. I can understand how Will hasn't aged in the at least 27 years between "present day" and the flashbacks: he was in Storybrooke for Regina's curse somehow. However, how come Anastasia and, presumably, Alice haven't aged 27 years in that time period? Does aging just work differently in Wonderland and "alternate Victorian England" land?

As-of-yet unanswered questions.... :-/
Flag
I was wondering about the timing too. They did show the clock in Storybrook, but I couldn't remember what time it was set to before and after the broken curse. (It's been a while since I've watched OUaT proper.) The cars all looked a little dated, just enough to make me wonder about the time period.

I'd always assumed that Alice was in our England in the 1800s, but unless the White Rabbit can bring you through space and time (which the "magic can't stop something that has already happened" rule seems to imply is not possible), then it seems as though Alice is from yet another world.
Flag
Overall it was a pretty cohesive episode. But there were two things that really bugged me:

• How was it that Alice was teeny tiny at the beginning of the episode? Seems like there was no explanation how she became small and then was normal sized again--not even a convenient bottle nearby with a note stating "Drink Me."
  • If the Queen of Hearts (the Elder) had the Knave's heart, then how did the Knave have his own heart in Storybrook? Wouldn't it have made a little more sense if Cyrus and Alice had to have raided Regina's below tomb heart storage chamber in order to recover the Knave's heart?
Flag
Wasn't it established in the first or second episode that Alice stole Will's heart from Cora on a previous trip to Wonderland?

And Regina only had hearts she'd ripped out in her vault. She wouldn't even know Will's existed outside of his chest. He probably didn't either til the curse broke in Once's S1 finale. It was probably just squirreled away and got transported with him when the curse hit, like all the junk in Gold's shop.
Flag
I was expecting the heart storage chamber too. Although I suppose as a professional thief, he may have gotten it back sometime in between.

As for the tiny Alice, I assumed she nibbled on one of the mushrooms. There seemed to be several around, although you are correct that they glossed over that part
Flag
My brain's too dim to remember the magic mushroom used once back in the first episode. But thanks for you and Gislef for straightening me out. Guess we have more story to expose my second question,
Flag
They've established that the shrinking mushrooms are around in Wonderland quite a bit. Remember in the first episode how the Knave tossed one down the Cheshire Cat's throat to get it to shrink? Granted, if they're that common, you'd think the Caterpillar would have taken precautions.

Since Barbara Hershey is in next week's episode, I imagine there'll be more flashbacks explaining that. The press release says as much: "In flashback, the Knave hunts Alice per Cora's directive and he finds himself striking a deal to get his heart back," Presumably he gets his heart back, and later tells Alice where he hid it. So I don't think that we've seen all of that story yet.
Flag
I hope not. I hope that fueled the Knave more to work with Alice against Jaafar... Who in their right mind would work someone who stabbed their lovers back? Besides, Jaafar is not breaking the laws of magic at all... Amara kinda tricked him to find the bottles easier so that she could free her sons... I think the laws of Magic can never be broken.
Flag
Well, you might want to check the previews at the end of last night's episode, and the upcoming episode summaries....
Flag
SPOILER ALERT!!! WHERE?
Flag
Well, the summaries for upcoming episodes can be found here. Given it was part of the official ABC press release, the basic events of the season finale we have here aren't really spoilers.

Depending on how you saw last night's episode, if you saw it, the previews are at the end.
Flag
thank u thank u
Flag
@serenachinglow: If you watched it on US Network TV, they almost always run previews of the next episode over the end credits. If you watched it in Canada or elsewhere, or online, I can't guarantee what they do for that.

Here's a promo preview, although if you're outside of the U.S, there's no guarantee it will play for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5X1ylfOxSw

Flag
i watched till the end and i dint see any previews.. :(
Flag
Follow this Show
Members