TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

One On One Forums

UPN (ended 2006)

wheres flex n everyone

aznxrc2o6

[1]May 22, 2006
    • level: 3
    whatever happen to all the adults?? like flex and his best friend and the apartment?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GSU2004

[2]May 26, 2006
    • level: 9

aznxrc2o6 wrote:
    whatever happen to all the adults?? like flex and his best friend and the apartment?

In Season Five, they decided to remix the show and focus on the college days of Arnez and Breanna.  Flex went to working behind the scenes and occasionally appearing when character was needed.  His best friend and Breanna's best friend were simply written out and forgotten.   It worked so well that the show was cancelled after this season.

CinnaBlaze

[3]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 6

aznxrc2o6 wrote:

I never understood that either but that was mostly due to the fact that I never knew about this show until I saw it when it was already in syndication reruns.  The first episodes I saw were Breanna graduating and then the one when they were all living together and Breanna got a job where Arnez worked and became his manager and the adults were not around.  I just assumed it was an episode where they concentrated on the kids, I didn't realize it was a cast change and new direction w/the show.  I tried to catch up by watching the reruns on UPN but it's on at 7:30 am and at 5:30 pm - both bad times for me as I work nights and I'm sleeping at 7:30 am and already at work by 5:30 pm.  My VCR broke and I haven't hooked up my other one yet (in the process of moving) so I catch the show sporadically.  This morning I happened to be awake and it was the episode where Flex proposes to Natalie but finds out he is still married to Nicole. 

I read all of the episode summaries today to help clear up my confusion of how/when the kids ended up on their own and was so disappointed to find out that they changed the show so much by getting rid of Flex, Duane and basically all of the adults.  The whole point of the show (and the name of the show!) is a father and his daughter!  I want to actually see the last episode of the adults though - how they handled it etc.  What a shame they made such drastic changes - maybe it would have gone on for a few more seasons!

lovelyloopy

[4]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    right

ghettogemini

[5]Apr 13, 2007
    GSU2004 wrote:
    aznxrc2o6 wrote:

In Season Five, they decided to remix the show and focus on the college days of Arnez and Breanna.  Flex went to working behind the scenes and occasionally appearing when character was needed.  His best friend and Breanna's best friend were simply written out and forgotten.   It worked so well that the show was cancelled after this season.
    hes/shes right

heatherl55

[6]Apr 21, 2007
    • level: 1
    Yeah I wondered that too. But now I know that it was because they wanted to follow Breanna and Arnez's college days.

TVWatChER343

[7]Apr 29, 2007
    Yeah, they went on to focus more on about Breanna and Arnaz now in college, with Flex as a recurring character only showing up in a few episodes. Dwayne and Spirit, I guess were just forgotten about.

dacableguy

[8]May 8, 2007
    • level: 21
    yeah i was upset about that, but something cofused me, if you look at the summary for 'i love la part 2' it says spirit was in the episode. when i saw that i was really excited but i watched the episode and was like 'oh,, no spirit?'

mr_snakeabee

[9]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 7

ghettogemini wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    aznxrc2o6 wrote:

In Season Five, they decided to remix the show and focus on the college days of Arnez and Breanna. Flex went to working behind the scenes and occasionally appearing when character was needed. His best friend and Breanna's best friend were simply written out and forgotten. It worked so well that the show was cancelled after this season.
    hes/shes right

Yep major show changes like that kill shows.

ClaudeLv250

[10]Sep 18, 2011
    CinnaBlaze wrote:

aznxrc2o6 wrote:

I never understood that either but that was mostly due to the fact that I never knew about this show until I saw it when it was already in syndication reruns.  The first episodes I saw were Breanna graduating and then the one when they were all living together and Breanna got a job where Arnez worked and became his manager and the adults were not around.  I just assumed it was an episode where they concentrated on the kids, I didn't realize it was a cast change and new direction w/the show.  I tried to catch up by watching the reruns on UPN but it's on at 7:30 am and at 5:30 pm - both bad times for me as I work nights and I'm sleeping at 7:30 am and already at work by 5:30 pm.  My VCR broke and I haven't hooked up my other one yet (in the process of moving) so I catch the show sporadically.  This morning I happened to be awake and it was the episode where Flex proposes to Natalie but finds out he is still married to Nicole. 

I read all of the episode summaries today to help clear up my confusion of how/when the kids ended up on their own and was so disappointed to find out that they changed the show so much by getting rid of Flex, Duane and basically all of the adults.  The whole point of the show (and the name of the show!) is a father and his daughter!  I want to actually see the last episode of the adults though - how they handled it etc.  What a shame they made such drastic changes - maybe it would have gone on for a few more seasons!

There was no sendoff episode for the adults - the final episode of the 4th season had Breanna wanting to go to college in California but Arnez didn't/couldn't go, but they didn't want to separate. In the end, they decide to go to college in Baltimore and get their own place...cue Season 5 opening with them moving into a loft in California, with Duane and Spirit effectively not existing anymore.

What really gets me is that the writers/network/executives/whoever really went out of their way to axe Duane out of the picture. They could have moved him (and Spirit) over to Cuts but instead had Candy break up with him off screen so they could explain his nonexistence there too.