Just started watching, have a few questions

OneNotTaken

[1]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 21

Hello! I am an avid lover of Shonen, and have been put off from watching One Piece for a long time because the quirky animation style really doesn't appeal to me. That being said, as I have completed all of dragonball, kenshin, yu yu hakusho, bleach, naruto, and both incarnations of full metal, I figured it was time to give it a chance.

I'm watching it subbed, and am currently on episode 14, I'm finding it interesting enough for me to get over my problems with the late 90's quality, and difference in animation from traditional shonen, but I have a few questions about pacing, and animation progression.

I want to know, for those who've watched DBZ/Bleach/Naruto, how would you compare the animation of the first episode of one piece, to the animation of the coolest fight from the most recent 100 episodes? Is it as big of a difference as... lets say, the first episode of bleach compared to episode 166?... Also, around what episode does it become widescreen, and around what episode does it become available in HD?... Would you consider One Piece to have as epic of fights as DBZ, FMA, Bleach, and Naruto, or does it remain more simplistic all the way through? Also, when would you say it "really gets good" or "really sucks you in" For me I would consider this moment in Naruto asthe preliminary chuunin exam fights, and in bleach the successful infiltration of soul society. I think what it takes is a really entertaining to watch fight, mixed with a story element that you're invested in, if that gives you a better idea of the kind of episode marker I'm looking for. I would appreciate as vague, and episode number related answers as possible, as I'm big on no spoilers, and just looking to see how long it's going to be until things really get moving. I'm already in it for the long haul, so I need no convincing to continue watching, but I already know that One Piece is significantly longer, and slower, than the aforementioned anime, and would like to know just how slow, and up until what point, so I can pace myself accordingly.

Thank you in advance. =)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fishbulb13

[2]May 11, 2011
    • level: 16
    Some people would say the mid twenties is when the story kicks in gear. I would say it's when the crew reaches Arlong Park, in the mid thirties. Most of the battles are entertaining, especially the further you get into the show, as Luffy and the rest of the crew become more experienced at fighting. The animation does improve, and going to widescreen does help. It's a bit less serious than Bleach or Naruto, but the fights are on the same scale.

Ranemoraken

[3]May 31, 2011
    • level: 20
    arlong park is awesome.

The show switches to HD at 210 and Oda's style changes significantly by the current era. His faces are a lot fluffier now, than that rigid 90's style.

The show is consistently funny - with a couple of duds here and there. Even the filler isn't half bad (in the dub)

The dilemma with One Piece is that the overt plot is a connection of a few short events in each arc - which means that your investment will be within the story of that island and not usually the whole story. It's a lot of fun though.

Fishbulb13

[4]Jun 2, 2011
    ^that, plus there are a few background plot threads that run throughout the entire manga/anime. Oda is very good at continuity.

OneNotTaken

[5]Jun 6, 2011
    • level: 21
    Thanks guys. It has really picked up a lot, Arlong park was definitely a big turning point. It is much different than the shonen staples, but I'm enjoying it none the less. Looking forward to the animation upgrade, and am very glad to hear that it's less than half way through the series. I'm currently in the late 90's and still enjoying it. One thing I'm still wondering about is the fights. The fights have been progressively getting better, but are still very simplistic compared to other shonen staples. Do the power levels ever get a serious upgrade, or are the fights mostly low scale for the entire series?... Things have gotten more serious, more cool abilities have been revealed, but I still feel like all of these characters would be destroyed by any other shonen main characters, and I'm just hoping that changes. I assume that it will, with the reveal of the hawk eyed guy who totally owned Zoro with a tiny dagger... but idk, it's just a bit slow going.

Fishbulb13

[6]Jun 8, 2011
    Yes, the characters' abilities do progress over the course of the series.

Revelation34

[7]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 7
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    arlong park is awesome.

The show switches to HD at 210 and Oda's style changes significantly by the current era. His faces are a lot fluffier now, than that rigid 90's style.

The show is consistently funny - with a couple of duds here and there. Even the filler isn't half bad (in the dub)

The dilemma with One Piece is that the overt plot is a connection of a few short events in each arc - which means that your investment will be within the story of that island and not usually the whole story. It's a lot of fun though.

Apparently you forgot Laboon.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[8]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 47

The quality improves dramatically even in the first 100 episodes. The first time I watched One Piece, I marathoned the first 140 or so episodes (whenever Alabasta ended) in like a week and didn't really notice exactly when it improved, but it did. I haven't been keeping up with the anime only following the manga, but I did catch some of the recent episodes, and the animation quality is night and day compared to the first episode. Can't really answer your questions about widescreen and HD (these two are the kinds of things I don't really notice too much).

When it starts to kick in, you already past it already, Arlong Park. But in all honesty One Piece had me hooked from the very first episode. For me One Piece's pilot episode is one of the best in anime history imho, and unlike other animes like Naruto who used a dramatic and tragic plot twist in its pilot episode, One Piece just had pure ambition in its first episode. A little off topic, I just love One Piece

Also for what it's worth, the fillers in One Piece are a lot better than Naruto, Bleach's, and Dragonball Z's. There's still some really bad ones out there, but there's just as much good ones.

Edited on 06/15/2011 9:54pm