Official Funimation/4Kids Discussion Thread

Smoker25

[1]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 15

This thread should be used for mostly comparisons andvoicing your opinion (tho don't get out of hand or your posts will be deleted) about the 4kids and Funimation dubs.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shinigamikid

[2]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 32
    Smoker25 wrote:

This thread should be used for mostly comparisons andvoicing your opinion (tho don't get out of hand or your posts will be deleted) about the 4kids and Funimation dubs.

It's like comparing them. right?

edmasterchaos

[3]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 41

well, i honestly never found the time to watch the whole series or anything, i've seen a few 4KIDSversion,some SUBS and 2 FUNi version,so im somewhat of a newb fan but in my opinion:

Voices:
    The voice changes only affect those who got used to the 4KIDS voices, so far in the FUNi version i've seen every voice match, except for choppy and in some moments luffy, while in the 4KIDS version zoro was just to "strong" like if he wants to scream and when he does you better turn the volume down, sanji for me sounded retarded, literally, i mean, either retarded or voiced by Barney the dinosaur.

Music:
    ok, the 4KIDS version like always changed the soundtrack that i found very good for their generic music that i admit in some moments are good, but still the original version is better, andFUNi kept it,plus the openings... like always most animes, the original is something that can actually inspire someone, while 4KIDS makes generic rock with lame lyrics, (except in pokemon) but in this dub, they put rap, wich is worse, and again FUNi kept the original

Scrip/dialogue:
    do i need to say more?

Smoker25

[4]Nov 4, 2007
    shinigamikid wrote:
    Smoker25 wrote:

It's like comparing them. right?

notice how their are like 10 threads where we say how many things funimation is doing better. or explaining to byran how 4kids sucks. this is the official place to do stuff liek they so we dont have 15 funimation threads.

MB9456

[5]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 9

It's no contest to see which is better... T

he Funimation dub is a whole lot better than the 4kids dub since it's true to the original. That and it's funny.

The 4kids dub shouldn't be considered One piece and 4kids nearly killed the One piece franchise in America here.

Edited on 11/04/2007 5:51pm

alex4319

[6]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    4kids screwed up One Piece real bad making One piece look real bad giving people the wrong impression 0ne Piece was a show for idiots, the 4kids dub is a travesty of a dub but really bugs me is come Al Kahn thought One Piece would be popular if it was dubbed heavily no wonder it failed horribly the Dvds sold worse than Hikari no Go (which is real bad) One piece is looked down upon amongst most shonen anime I really hope funimation will repair the damage 4kids done this is just my opinion on the matter your free to disagree with me or agree with me so obvisously I defintely perfer the funimation version over the 4kids version
    Edited on 11/04/2007 6:52pm

warnerbroman

[7]Nov 4, 2007
    I say this

I have the same views with pokemon

Death-T

[8]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 6

I have the same veiws as everyone else on this thread. Anyway, when Bryan posts here, no matter how rediculous it is, even if he starts calling everyone "evil", just ignore him. Please, we can contradict him on another thread. =|

"I'm angry and I'm wet"

Nuff' said.

alex4319

[9]Nov 4, 2007
    very funny

bryanoftoons

[10]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 11
    MB9456 wrote:

he Funimation dub is a whole lot better than the 4kids dub since it's true to the original. That and it's funny.

The 4kids dub shouldn't be considered One piece and 4kids nearly killed the One piece franchise in America here.

are you kidding? Did it ever occur to you that some people don't like the original as much?

warnerbroman

[11]Nov 5, 2007
    alex4319 wrote:
    very funny
    very funny but I see the 4kids one as an parody

thoud the"I going to be king of the pirates!!!!!" line will get old

CainSSJ4

[12]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

are you kidding? Did it ever occur to you that some people don't like the original as much?

SOME not ALL. You're in the minority here. Did it occur to YOU that if more people liked the 4Kids version, they never would've dropped it? MORE fans wanted to see the original over here and that's what Funimation is doing.

minndak10

[13]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 13
    CainSSJ4 wrote:
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

SOME not ALL. You're in the minority here. Did it occur to YOU that if more people liked the 4Kids version, they never would've dropped it? MORE fans wanted to see the original over here and that's what Funimation is doing.
    Don't you understand that FUNi is listening to the majority and not the proboly 100 people in the world who watch it? They all wanted the ORIGINAL not a show that had bad music that was synthesised no cuts barely no lollypop no accents unless they REALLY need one yeah FUNi is much better they only listen to CN's and FCC rules they try to get as much in as possible of the original

alex4319

[14]Nov 5, 2007
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

man we need a block option to block you from the forums

MB9456

[15]Nov 5, 2007
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

Bryan that is one of the most reatrded sentence i've ever read...your saying tha fans who watch the Japanese version don't matter. Fans of the original come first then regularviewers.

CainSSJ4

[16]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    MB9456 wrote:
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

Bryan that is one of the most reatrded sentence i've ever read...your saying tha fans who watch the Japanese version don't matter. Fans of the original come first then regularviewers.

In general, that's not true, it's whatever's more popular/making money. In One Piece's case goes. Yes there are more fans of the original then there are of the 4Kids version. Funi realized this and are tailoring the new One Piece dub closer to the original to please the fans. They KNOW there are people like Bryan around, but they don't care because they know there are MORE fans of the original that outnumber him.

I swear it's a presidential election. Bryan's like the losing candidate screaming "I want a recount!" over and over again and refuses to believe he's been outvoted.

MB9456

[17]Nov 5, 2007
    CainSSJ4 wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

In general, that's not true, it's whatever's more popular/making money. In One Piece's case goes. Yes there are more fans of the original then there are of the 4Kids version. Funi realized this and are tailoring the new One Piece dub closer to the original to please the fans. They KNOW there are people like Bryan around, but they don't care because they know there are MORE fans of the original that outnumber him.

I swear it's a presidential election. Bryan's like the losing candidate screaming "I want a recount!" over and over again and refuses to believe he's been outvoted.

Oh..well thanks for correcting me Cain. Also, yes he needs to admit he's wrong.

fullmetalfriend

[18]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    funi's is definately better. it allowed me to get into one piece

Adv193

[19]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 23
    CainSSJ4 wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

In general, that's not true, it's whatever's more popular/making money. In One Piece's case goes. Yes there are more fans of the original then there are of the 4Kids version. Funi realized this and are tailoring the new One Piece dub closer to the original to please the fans. They KNOW there are people like Bryan around, but they don't care because they know there are MORE fans of the original that outnumber him. I swear it's a presidential election. Bryan's like the losing candidate screaming "I want a recount!" over and over again and refuses to believe he's been outvoted.

Well I used to be like that once over the original Dragon Ball Z dub way before Funimation revived the series. One thing I know is that although it can be hard to tell an inexperienced anime viewer about how different an original Japanese version of that anime versus the American version that person is bound to see first. But with experience of watching uncut anime that person can see the difference of what is between the two versions especially if that American distributor went beyond the required edits of censorship and make any unnecessary change in plot, character, or dialogue into something they liked, kind of what 4kids is doing now where they make those shows into what they want so they could market off of kids and sell out the material constantly without any remorse toward remaining faithful to the original aspect of that anime program, or about the quality that of their material that would affect the market as a whole.

Adv193

[20]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 23
    Personally some beautiful aspects I can say about Funimation's version are: no childish puns or bad jokes, a better opening sequence, the music from the original japanese version, not as much censorship as the 4kids version. So I can definately say that Funimation is being more faithful towards the original.