Official Funimation/4Kids Discussion Thread

warnerbroman

[21]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 15
    I hope some action happens soon
    Edited on 11/05/2007 4:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Matt_Purosky

[22]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 25
    Prepare for a novel-sized resumé...

MB9456

[23]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 9

Matt_Purosky wrote:

Oh joy...

warnerbroman

[24]Nov 5, 2007
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    ???

furubalove7

[25]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 11

warnerbroman wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    ???

i second that ????

Matt_Purosky

[26]Nov 5, 2007
    furubalove7 wrote:

warnerbroman wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    ???

i second that ????

It's pretty much my reputation. You know, my long rambling opinions that defend 4Kids (or sometimes something else) and always go on about why 4Kids doesn't stereotype accents because Chinese characters from Shaman King have British accents, or reasons I'm in no position to complain about ruining someone's work because I make/watch YouTube Poop which take people's work and just throw in random "Mama Luigi" quotes, about accents because my life is full of accents, or why I can't complain about pointless edits because I watch that one show that already had a TV-Y7 worthy English dub and whatnot, jokes because I make Simpsons references during anything I watch (my mom even said that when I do that I'm insulting a work of art), you know, things like that.

At one time, Death-T said, "You know, you could write a novel about your opinion" and Cain said "I don't quote entire resumés like you". They kind of have a point, I do ramble, though, novels and resumes tend not to make random jokes or Simpsons references every other sentence.

"You use words like pasghetti and mamatoes, you make numerous threatening references to the U.N., and at the end, you repeated the words 'Screw Flanders' over and over again!"

See what I mean? Though I know that's beside the point.

Edited on 11/05/2007 7:02pm

ThunderDude14

[27]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 20
    Both dub versions are okay with me.

Matt_Purosky

[28]Nov 6, 2007

ThunderDude14 wrote:

I second that.

MB9456

[29]Nov 6, 2007

I'm glad that 4kids has nothing to do with the show, because of them "One piece" has a bad reputation in the states and they've left such a big scar on the franchise.

It's sad that the show had to go through alot of critiscm:

Common Sense Review

Reviewed By: Lori Silberman Brauner

The main character, pirate captain Monkey D. Luffy, dreams of finding the legendary One Piece treasure that was buried somewhere on the so-called Grand Line and becoming the Pirate King. He and his crewmates -- thieves and liars among them -- battle their way across the high seas in search of this lost piece.

For a show that bills itself as a "high-seas adventure," ONE PIECE departs considerably from the epic pirate epic. With endless sword battles and comments like "freak" and other sarcastic remarks dominating the show, it's difficult to find any educational, and little entertainment value. While the violence is not bloody and the language is relatively clean, only testosterone-charged tween boys might find this show appealing. Their parents will simply zone out altogether.

The 4kids dub makes One Piece look like trash little kids who like mindless crap, when it's far from that. I thank god for letting Funi to get the show back to the way it was so maybe it can get some respect back andviewers can see the show as it was meant to be.

A quote form Bellamy the Hyena:

"As long as you're [The 4kids dub]hacking around you'll make us...the real pirates look like trash."

warnerbroman

[30]Nov 6, 2007
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

ThunderDude14 wrote:

I second that.

I third that

Death-T

[31]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 6
    MB9456 wrote:

I'm glad that 4kids has nothing to do with the show, because of them "One piece" has a bad reputation in the states and they've left such a big scar on the franchise.

It's sad that the show had to go through alot of critiscm:

Common Sense Review

Reviewed By: Lori Silberman Brauner

The main character, pirate captain Monkey D. Luffy, dreams of finding the legendary One Piece treasure that was buried somewhere on the so-called Grand Line and becoming the Pirate King. He and his crewmates -- thieves and liars among them -- battle their way across the high seas in search of this lost piece.

For a show that bills itself as a "high-seas adventure," ONE PIECE departs considerably from the epic pirate epic. With endless sword battles and comments like "freak" and other sarcastic remarks dominating the show, it's difficult to find any educational, and little entertainment value. While the violence is not bloody and the language is relatively clean, only testosterone-charged tween boys might find this show appealing. Their parents will simply zone out altogether.

The 4kids dub makes One Piece look like trash little kids who like mindless crap, when it's far from that. I thank god for letting Funi to get the show back to the way it was so maybe it can get some respect back andviewers can see the show as it was meant to be.

"As long as you're [The 4kids dub]hacking around you'll make us...the real pirates look like trash."

I agree, and though Bryan may claim that they're simply narrow minded, anyone who has seen a number of the Original Japanese episodes who has also watched the 4K!Dd dub, can tell you that there is a significant difference in quality between the two.

And Bryan, you really have no right to claim that the 4K!Ds dub is not at fault and that American critiques are to blame, when you constantly shout that FUNImations dub will fail because of their voices, and overall treatment to the show.

Matt_Purosky

[32]Nov 6, 2007
    MB9456 wrote:

The only thing I'll contradict is... who said it was supposed to have any "educational value" to begin with? I mean, it doesn't have an E/I tag on it.

But then again, critics like that would then be complaining about blood and language had FUNi had it from the start, and I really don't understand why "endless sword battles" is a reason to write a bad review for a cartoon.

But I never really listen to critics like that anyway, and I believe I've said why many times. I guess I just don't see what it is because I watch so many kids shows that getting made fun of for watching a "kiddy show" is just like being tapped on the shoulder to me.

MB9456

[33]Nov 6, 2007
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

The only thing I'll contradict is... who said it was supposed to have any "educational value" to begin with? I mean, it doesn't have an E/I tag on it.

But then again, critics like that would then be complaining about blood and language had FUNi had it from the start, and I really don't understand why "endless sword battles" is a reason to write a bad review for a cartoon.

But I never really listen to critics like that anyway, and I believe I've said why many times. I guess I just don't see what it is because I watch so many kids shows that getting made fun of for watching a "kiddy show" is just like being tapped on the shoulder to me.

Yeah, that's the one of the few things wrong with that review. One piece is supposed to be about pirtaes following their dreams and going against the world.

2. I don't even know whythe personsay the show has endless fights, when there's not that many. The differenece between One Piece and most shonen anime is that the show is taht there's lots of character devleopment, a nice story, and it has a balance of Action, adventure, and comedy.

3. One Piece is a "kids" show" seeing as the manga/anime appeals to youngsters but it also has mature aspects that older people cna get into to. I can see why they say the 4kids dub is childish seeing as 4kids focused too much on comedy, putting too many unnecesary jokes and puns and making serious parts of the show not serious. There was barely any drama in Alabasta when it was dubbed by 4kids, Alabasta...one of the best arcs in One Piece.

Smoker25

[34]Nov 7, 2007
    MB9456 wrote:

hah! funi insulted 4kids! yay. im sooo gonna use this quote over and over again!

bryanoftoons

[35]Nov 7, 2007
    Smoker25 wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

hah! funi insulted 4kids! yay. im sooo gonna use this quote over and over again!

What makes you think they were referring to 4Kids?

furubalove7

[36]Nov 7, 2007
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    Smoker25 wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:

What makes you think they were referring to 4Kids?

it's a joke. get over yourself

Matt_Purosky

[37]Nov 7, 2007
    Actually, some people do feel like they are subtly insulting 4Kids. An example would be at the beginning of episode 105 (144) when Luffy said, "That was fun, but let's never go back" or something like that, and that 4Kids is a "graveyard" (okay, that I don't get).

warnerbroman

[38]Nov 7, 2007
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    Actually, some people do feel like they are subtly insulting 4Kids. An example would be at the beginning of episode 105 (144) when Luffy said, "That was fun, but let's never go back" or something like that, and that 4Kids is a "graveyard" (okay, that I don't get).
    I never tought of it like that

Death-T

[39]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 6

It's just a joke. Even the thing with episode 144(105). I mean,even ifthey changed what Luffy said to "Well that was fun, but I don't think we should go back", then it'd still just be a line. If that line didn't fit in the episode at all, or relate to anything in the last one, none, whatsover, then maybe.

But, that is pretty much what he did say in the Japanese version to. So there's really nothing they can do about that. Anybody who actually does beleive they're reffering to 4K!Ds is an idiot, if there are any people like that anyway. It's just being funny though.

Edited on 11/07/2007 12:28pm

Matt_Purosky

[40]Nov 7, 2007
    I knew they weren't really referring to 4Kids, but yeah, there are people who think that.