Official Funimation/4Kids Discussion Thread

Matt_Purosky

[121]Dec 18, 2007
    • level: 25

Only seen Don Flamingo and Whitebeard in action... I can see Ted Lewis voicing Whitebeard, I'm imagining him sounding like Giovanni from Pokémon. As for Flamingo... maybe Sean Schemmel. I haven't seen Franky in the anime or manga yet since I only follow the English versions of both, but from what I've seen of him, I've been imagining him having the voice that Chopper had when he was big.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Darkknight313

[122]Dec 18, 2007
    • level: 28
    If Mike Pollock was the voice of Franky it would make sence.

Matt_Purosky

[123]Dec 26, 2007

Eggman? Well, maybe.

Oh, and one other thing I'd like to say...

I just went to that Common Sense Media site, and... I'm afraid I just don't take it seriously anymore. I looked up some of the other things there, mainly kids shows, a lot of which were from 4Kids (and some of which are not), and it's like these people are just LOOKING for things to complain about, as well as having a total lack of knowledge about anything. I could go off on a long novel-sized rant about it, but I won't for now, maybe later. (Though I'm sure some people like Drunk Samurai might agree with a lto of it.) I'll just give an example with part of the SpongeBob SquarePants review.

Emily Ashby wrote:
    But some aspects of SpongeBob will leave parents wanting to preview the series before letting their kids watch. Characters often speak sarcastically and act rudely to each other -- and, unlike in real life, no one seems bothered by the mean-spirited things that are said.

Mean-spirited things? You mean Squidward calling SpongeBob and Patrick idiots? I promise, this is the last time I'll use this word... this is actually good in a way. Squidward has no... imagination *rainbow*, as that "Idiot Box" episode that I've been constantly referencing goes. He never uses his imagination, and he finds everything SpongeBob and Patrick do "idiotic", an example, the Idiot Box thing. I'll admit, it was pretty stupid for them to buy a television just to throw it away and just to use the box, but on the other hand, it was pretty nice of them to give it to Squidward when he wanted it and SpongeBob and Patrick didn't. Well, there's a message right there: One man's trash is another man's treasure... or in this case, one sea creatures' trash is another sea creatures' treasure.

But anyway, Squidward said, "That box is idiotic!" and stuff at points, and then when SpongeBob and Patrick were using their... imagination *rainbow* to pretend they were climbing a mountain, which made Squidward decide he wanted to try it... so what was he saying about it being "idiotic"? If kids are gonna pick something up from this, it's this message: Don't think something is "idiotic" until you try it.

Anyway, at the end of the episode, Squidward ended up trying to imagine himself in a race car in the box, when it really being picked up by a dumpster and he ended up being in a dump. Kids who watch the show for reasons other than finding something to complain about would learn this: Your mind will be open to new possibilites if you use your... imagination *rainbow*. The same thing happened in that other episode where SpongeBob and Patrick were playing with that paper and again Squidward called it "idiotic", but then wanted it... here we go again! The "don't judge something unless you try it" message. There's also a "be careful what you wish for", when Squidward said, "I want you to never offer me that paper again, no matter how much I beg or plead!" And later in the episode, Squidward was begging and pleading for the paper, which of course made SpongeBob refuse to give it to him... but then he ended up trading everything he owned for a piece of paper that was useless to him because he has no... imagination *rainbow*. Imagination is a good thing, it's just that Squidward has none.

And come to think of it, there was another message: Everyone has their price. I remember Squidward traded everything he owned for that paper and SpongeBob refused to do it as it would break the promise, but then Squidward offered his shirt... that was all SpongeBob wanted, he said, "I can break a promise for this!" He didn't even want the rest of the stuff (he said, "You can have the rest of the stuff back, all I really need is the shirt."), just his shirt. See, there are hidden messages in these things, but if you're just watching the show to find something to complain about, you're not gonna notice them.

Emily Ashby wrote:
    What's more, situations are often resolved with violence, and the frequent songs sometimes touch on iffy subject matter like bombs and making fun of people.

VIOLENCE?! What kind of violence is in this show? There's barely any violence in SpongeBob! There was that tough guy club episode, but other than that... this show is nowhere near violent. There is a reason this show is rated TV-Y7 and not TV-Y7-FV. The only "violence" would be some stretch And about the songs... I think this might be referring to the F-U-N song where Plankton sang, "F is for fire that burns down the whole town! U is for uranium... bombs! N is for no survivors..." but if that's all you focus on, of course it's going to seem iffy. But that's not what the song was about. Plankton wanted to know what fun was. So SpongeBob started with...

"F is for friends who do stuff together,
    U is for you and me,
    N is for anywhere at anytime at all
    Down here in the deep blue sea!"

I'm guessing 9/11 made people more sensitive about bombs, especially since Plankton sang about burning down the town with no survivors, but if you pay attention, immediately after that, SpongeBob said, "Plankton, that's not how it goes!" and then Plankton tried it and said, "Something's happening... I feel all tingly" to which SpongeBob replies, "That's how you're supposed to feel!" Plankton of course said, "Well I like it!" Plankton was giving fun a chance... wow, the message returns again! Don't put something down unless you've given it a chance (during the song, I think Plankton said, "No, no, no, that's completely idiotic!"). And with the way Plankton is, trying to kill everyone and steal the Krabby Patty secret formula, he never succeeds, he always fails ("I've tried every plan from Plan A to plan Y and it never works!"), and he's doomed to spend the rest of his days working at the Chum Bucket with his computer wife Karen. That's a message in itself.

Emily Ashby wrote:
    The show's shining star is its only female character -- a well-rounded, scientifically accomplished squirrel named Sandy Cheeks

Now this one's just another way of not paying attention. Sandy Cheeks isn't the only female character on that show! What about Mr. Krabs' daughter, Pearl? And SpongeBob's teacher, Mrs. Puff? (There's also Mama Krabs but I don't think she was in more than one episode).

Wow, with just one paragraph, I can write up this much. I'm gonna pull a word from Bryan's dictionary... this site is so "easy to contradict". (Actually the part about Sandy wasn't from the same paragraph, it just jumped out at me.)

So yeah, I'm never going to listen to this site's judges or take it seriously at all if this is the kind of thing they write about. If you're going to watch something just to complain about it, don't watch it at all!

Edited on 12/26/2007 2:01pm

Matt_Purosky

[125]Dec 26, 2007

Darkknight313 wrote:
    Dude Spongebob is gay

First off, are you calling the character SpongeBob a homosexual, or are you saying that you don't like the show and using gay as an insult?

Secondly, that's beside the point. The point is, sites like Common Sense Media are not worth taking seriously, they only watch shows to complain about them, and their reviews are, to quote Bryan, "easy to contradict".

MB9456

[127]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    Well it seems like any place that's reviewed by adults to see if their child can enjoy is crap. The only reason I used those guys is because it sort of proved how sucky the 4kids dub sucked. Also, when check their review for Naruto, it wasn't bad.

Matt_Purosky

[128]Dec 26, 2007

Darkknight313 wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

Darkknight313 wrote:
    Dude Spongebob is gay

First off, are you calling the character SpongeBob a homosexual, or are you saying that you don't like the show and using gay as an insult?

Secondly, that's beside the point. The point is, sites like Common Sense Media are not worth taking seriously, they only watch shows to complain about them, and their reviews are, to quote Bryan, "easy to contradict".

I'm calling Spongebob a homosexuel.

How exactly is SpongeBob a homosexual? He doesn't seem to show any romantic interest in anyone. (Wonder if he even knows what it is.)

MB9456 wrote:
    Well it seems like any place that's reviewed by adults to see if their child can enjoy is crap. The only reason I used those guys is because it sort of proved how sucky the 4kids dub sucked. Also, when check their review for Naruto, it wasn't bad.

Yeah, I noticed that. My only defense for that One Piece review would be... again, just like SpongeBob, it depends on what you look for. Even before seeing any of the original or reading the manga, I never found those "sarcastic" comments to be demeaning or anything. There was an occasional laugh/chuckle/giggle, and an occasional me shouting "OOOOH! HE BURNED YOU DUDE!" at the TV, but what I focused on mainly was pirates fulfilling their dreams, supporting each other, and never giving up. I know it's still no excuse for how they handled the dialogue, but that's just what I think.

Also, I noticed every time I click a show, it recommends Jackie Chan Adventures, Duel Masters, and Avatar: The Last Airbender. And they didn't write bad reviews for Jackie Chan or Avatar, they did criticize some things, but didn't dedicate entire paragraphs to why it's "demeaning" or anything, same with Naruto. I especially liked their Avatar review, it looked like someone with actual knowledge who doesn't focus on one little insignificant thing and blow it out of proportion wrote it. The Jackie Chan review surprised me as well, I'm surprised no one complained about Uncle's craziness, since he waps people on the head with two fingers saying "WERE YOU NOT LISTENING?!" or "ONE MORE THING!" or "DO YOU WANT A PIECE OF UNCLE?!" or things like that.

However, one thing I don't like is the things they put on the side. For instance, this was part of "Sexual Content" in Naruto:

"Girl ninjas describe themselves as sexy; boys and girls flirt and have crushes."

I don't recall anyone using the word "sexy" on Naruto, but then again it wouldn't jump out at someone like me. As for the flirting and crushes part... since when is that sexual?

And the Duel Masters review. The actual review was good, but there were red things (not age appropriate) on "Sexual Content" on adults for "Girls wear short dresses. Some characters dress in leather. Mild flirtations between characters." WHAT?! This isn't Sex and the City! This isn't ecchi! I'll admit, Mimi's breasts appeared a little bigger when she wore the red dress, but...

Don't tell me that's not child appropriate. And what's so sexually inappropriate about leather? It's a substance, since when did it become sexual? As well, the kids section has a red for drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. I don't recall any of that in Duel Masters either.

I also checked out their Magical DoReMi and Winx Club reviews, since those had E/I ratings (remembering what they said about "hard to find educational material") and I'd be able to defend them a bit more easily since I know a lot about them and really like them. (Sadly, no one reviewed Cubix, but then again it's probably not popular enough to get a review, as well, I don't think Cubix has sarcastic language, anything even slightly sexual, and most of the violence is just robots and even then it's low enough for a TV-Y rating.)

The Magical DoReMi review was pretty good, actually, except one thing at the end.

"Generally, the adventures center around helping other kids, and some themes include lessons of respect and working hard to achieve goals. There's less fluff than other girl-oriented shows, but some exaggerated emotional reactions and language ("shut up") can be distracting."

I believe they are referring to Dorie and Caitlyn, who often do fight and tell each other to shut up. But distracting? Again, if you're looking for something to complain about, of course it's distracting, but other than that, it's barely anything.

As for the Winx Club review... no, just... no. I'm not even going to get into it.

Wow, that was longer than I thought it would be. Maybe I should look for a career in being a critic or something.

Edited on 12/26/2007 6:14pm

MB9456

[129]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    Girl ninjas describe themselves as sexy; boys and girls flirt and have crushes."

I don't recall anyone using the word "sexy" on Naruto, but then again it wouldn't jump out at someone like me. As for the flirting and crushes part... since when is that sexual?

Umm...yeah, they've used the word "sexy" before. One of the chracters...named Moegi, who's not even a kunoichi said

"I'm Moegi, one of the sexiest kunoichi check me out" or something like that. Sothey have said it before.

Moegi

furubalove7

[130]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 11

that i agree w/ u on matt. go become a critic i think u'd be good at it. and the fact that ur basically non-biased on everything wouldn't hurt either ;P.

P.S. go look at my blog! please

Matt_Purosky

[131]Dec 26, 2007
    MB9456 wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    Girl ninjas describe themselves as sexy; boys and girls flirt and have crushes."

Umm...yeah, they've used the word "sexy" before. One of the chracters...named Moegi, who's not even a kunoichi said

"I'm Moegi, one of the sexiest kunoichi check me out" or something like that. Sothey have said it before.

Moegi

I remember her, but I don't remember her ever saying that. But then again, doesn't sound like something that would jump out at me, especially since "sexy" language like that is relatively clean in this show and it doesn't reach Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star level.

furubalove7 wrote:

that i agree w/ u on matt. go become a critic i think u'd be good at it. and the fact that ur basically non-biased on everything wouldn't hurt either ;P.

Done. And actually, sometimes I do get biased, but I always try to state when I'm biased, or when I'm putting myself in others' shoes.

RubberLotus

[132]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    MB9456 wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

I remember her, but I don't remember her ever saying that. But then again, doesn't sound like something that would jump out at me, especially since "sexy" language like that is relatively clean in this show and it doesn't reach Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star level.

furubalove7 wrote:

Done. And actually, sometimes I do get biased, but I always try to state when I'm biased, or when I'm putting myself in others' shoes.

I think that she referred to herself as "sassy", not "sexy"

Matt_Purosky

[133]Jan 3, 2008
    What episode was that?

warnerbroman

[134]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 15
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    What episode was that?
    when the three sand ninja were introduced

furubalove7

[135]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 11

warnerbroman wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    What episode was that?
    when the three sand ninja were introduced
    well that's awfully specific.

it's ep 20 btw matt

tvmasterdoodles

[136]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 30
    stop talkin about Naruto this is Puirates Not Ninjas! anyways 4crap blew monkey chunks if they had used their first version of We are the might've been at least 1/2 decent

alex4319

[137]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 7
    tvmasterdoodles wrote:
    stop talkin about Naruto this is Puirates Not Ninjas! anyways 4crap blew monkey chunks if they had used their first version of We are the might've been at least 1/2 decent
    Its alright to talk about Naruto I see Naruto fans sporadically mention One piece though negatively though sadly(sigh).
    Edited on 01/04/2008 8:23pm

Matt_Purosky

[138]Jan 4, 2008

Sorry, kinda got carried away. I just said I didn't take those Common Sense Media guys seriously and gave SpongeBob as an example of why, but noticed an (almost) good review of Naruto, then I saw the "sexy" part that intrigued me.

I bet this is gonna leave open bait for you-know-who.

tvmasterdoodles

[139]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 30
    no i don't know who

Matt_Purosky

[140]Jan 4, 2008

tvmasterdoodles wrote:
    no i don't know who

Guess you haven't heard of him. His username is RinkyTinTinky. He thinks I'm a pedophile because I'm an 18-year-old male and he saw me "kiss" an 11-year-old girl on YouTube "on the lips for 3 seconds", and because I support 4Kids, and because I like Pokémon, Winx Club, Magical DoReMi, and High School Musical. Now every time I mention one of those, he says, "Of course you think that way. You're a pedophile!" or something like that, and he'll bring up some stupid evidence, which I can take a page from Bryan's dictionary and call "easy to contradict", but won't accept it and will continue to "warn" other users to quit talking to me because I will do something bad to them. However, no one ever listens to him, and for that reason, he refuses to quit until everyone starts thinking I'm a pedo.

Anyway, what we were just talking about was a young female ninja (Moegi) on Naruto calling herself "sexy", and I said that it jumped out at me in a review for the show. Because I said it jumped out at me, I bet that guy is going to call me a pedo.

Edited on 01/04/2008 11:05pm
    Edited 3 total times.