Official Manga Discussion Thread (Major Spoilers)

MoCrovellie

[1281]Aug 30, 2010
    • level: 11
    Bummer we have to wait a whole month for the next manga release. A time skip a la Naruto will be good for the series, more credible then the normal Shonen jump power ups, after some intense training for a few days/weeks. I am also curious about Brook, what will his power ups be, maybe more songs to mesmerize the enemies? Franky will perhaps be the second Vegapunk lol. Luffy will learn how to use his Haki, and i hope some merman karate, maybe even a Gear 4? Becoming a full giant when blowing air into his bones? I can see One piece keep dominating for the next decade, there's so much to explore and so many interesting characters.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Elderlore

[1282]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 7
    MoCrovellie wrote:
    Bummer we have to wait a whole month for the next manga release. A time skip a la Naruto will be good for the series, more credible then the normal Shonen jump power ups, after some intense training for a few days/weeks. I am also curious about Brook, what will his power ups be, maybe more songs to mesmerize the enemies? Franky will perhaps be the second Vegapunk lol. Luffy will learn how to use his Haki, and i hope some merman karate, maybe even a Gear 4? Becoming a full giant when blowing air into his bones? I can see One piece keep dominating for the next decade, there's so much to explore and so many interesting characters.

Interesting thoughts, and I hope the forum stays alive with speculation on what each Straw-Hat will learn. Luffy won't get Mereman Karate though, Jimbei said he'd see him in two years and I don't know of any other merman that would teach him, and saying Rayleigh knows it would be a bit too much. It'll be intersting to see how everything else in the world will change as well. Trafalgar Law, Eustass Kid and the (former?) Whitebeard Pirates will be interesting to see. Still, gonna be a loooooooooong month :s

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1283]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 47
    #$Q@$@#%$@% A whole month?!?! And you know what timeskip means, it means long filler arcs in the anime. Hopefully they fair better than the Naruto ones. I don't know how many times I've re-read the last couple of chapters, there's just so much speculation that could be done. To be honest I'm not really wondering about the other straw hats, but the other supernovas and the outcome of the Revolutionary Army. I think Euastass Kid could become a main antagonist in a future arc, and X. Drake really made things interesting by challenging Kaidou. I wonder who will fill in for the shoes of the shichibukai, probably the new supernovas?

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1284]Aug 31, 2010

Elderlore wrote:
    The only one I'm not really sure about is actually Robin though, what will the revolutionaries do for her exactly?

That's what I was thinking, and I doubt Robin has any interest in powering up; she'll probably spend the next 2 years learning about the history or just reading books. Though the thought of her learning the Busōshoku Haki could be pretty deadly. The Busōshoku Haki in combination with her Devils Fruit could prove to be a pretty deadly force. I hope the Revolutionaries teach her haki.

Edited on 08/31/2010 3:29pm

Fishbulb13

[1285]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 16
    As it is now, Blackbeard is set up to be the big bad of the whole series. A lot of the other characters, like the Supernovas and Marines are set up to be rivals or small fries.

Luffy will probably learn fighting from Rayleigh.

Zoro will learn swordsmanship from Mihawk.

Nami will learn to read the weather better, and may pick up a few new Climatact techniques

Usoppn will be whippedn into shapen by Heraclesn, and will probably learn how to cultivate those exploding seedsn.

Chopper will do research, and create better medicines. I think he'll figure out different transformations, rather than learning how to control his monster point (or whatever it's called).

Sanji will learn some Okama Kenpo

Elderlore

[1286]Sep 1, 2010
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    As it is now, Blackbeard is set up to be the big bad of the whole series. A lot of the other characters, like the Supernovas and Marines are set up to be rivals or small fries.

You say that but One Piece (Unlike Naruto or Bleach) has never really had a MAJOR consistent bad guy. Obviously the Marines have been a consistent prescence but they haven't actually been the main antagonists until the Rescue Ace arc. If anything Blackbeard will simply be the final bad guy in the series, and all the other supernovas or marines will be arc "Bosses." It'd be cool if the Strawhats ended up fighting the Revolutionaries for some reason too.

shadowysea07

[1287]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 25

i'm not seeing black beard as the final boss just yet. that spots open for whoever gets to the end of the line first imo. besides zolo's final battle is gonna be with mihawke so shiryu is obviously gonna be killed before then

which is the major problem i have with teh time skip since the other pirates could get to the last island in the two years while luffy is training. it wouldn''t make sense that they'd be twiddling their thumbs the entire time besides law of course. bonnie getting captured is a huge advantage for the navy btw. now all the older members can force her to make them younger thus making them a huger threat since most of them are old.

apoo and urogue have already arrived at 2 islands one is constantly hit by lightning and the other is a floating island. hopefully luffy ends up on the lightning island since all he'd have to do is stand there .

mean while drake and basil have wondered off to kill some people basil will win of course but i'm highly doubtful that drake can handle someone when he got his butt handed to him by kizaru.

the navy needs to fill all their gaps since they have lost jimbei moria and blackbeard. plus aokiji was promoted so garps position and aokijis are open as well. smoker has finally been reasigned to the grand line so he'll likely be stronger soon

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1288]Sep 3, 2010
    Really doubt any of the supernovas or Blackbeard are going to reach Raftel, seeing as how none of the Yonkou have yet to do so and they've been in the New World much longer than 2 years. And let's remember that this is the New World, nothing but strong pirates roam here so they're all going to stop each other's progress, kind of like how the presence of the other Yonkou has prevented each other from moving. And although it seems almost glaringly obvious Blackbeard is going to be the main antagonist (the fact that he has two devil fruits abilities, which really sets himself up as this giant force and enemy, perfect to be felled by the main character, and he was the one that captured Ace), One Piece is like the least predictable series ever. Who knows it could be someone else. Akainu has really turned villainous, arguably even more so than Blackbeard in the Whitebeard Wars. And his presence alone was enough to scare off Blackbeard, even if Blackbeard has many many many strong members in his crew.

It could be Dragon. At this point it doesn't seem likely, but I doubt the final boss is going to be anything less than the strongest in the entire series, and Dragon is arguably the strongest man in the One Piece universe. Plus since Star Wars, son father showdowns are probably one of the biggest cliches in action stories nowadays.

Maybe it'll throw us a real curveball and it'll be Coby; it's a common trait in mangas that the final antagonist is one who has developed throughout the manga as the protagonist (although Luffy was much farther along in the beginning). Coby went from being a wimp to learning the Rokushiki, and now his haki powers have awakened. Plus it looks like Garp is going to further train him and help him round out his powers. Unlikely, but if there's one thing I learned from One Piece, it's impossible to predict what's going to happen next.

Elderlore

[1289]Sep 3, 2010
    It could be Sengoku. Think about it he's left the Marines now so isn't tied down by any sort of sanctions or restrictions. He'll have been in The New World plenty of times and is quite possibly capable of going to Raftel, with the only reason he hasn't done so before is because a Marine ship could get followed or something like that. He'll just sit there waiting for someone to come and find Raftel and simply beat the snot out of them as soon as they arrive. Still, as Zales said OP isn't predictable in the slightest. The only thing I feel even slightly confident about saying is that the final antagonist will have to have a crew so that all the Straw Hats get to fight someone, possibly with some of them losing...

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1290]Sep 9, 2010
    This wait is making me go crazy. I've been watching old episodes and reading old chapters, it's only a temporary satisfaction and keeps my mind off all the possibilities that could be happening in this time skip.

Ranemoraken

[1291]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 20
    There's so much to catch up on in this story. It took about 50 chapters for Naruto to reconnect with everyone before the story moved forward in anything meaningful. But One Piece is far more diverse.

The most interesting thing to me is the Shichi Bukai. I wonder who will fill their ranks? Will it be characters we know? Or will they be new?

But I definitely see Blackbeard as the principal villain. His crew was built to have rivals with the Strawhats, especially with Shinryu in the jail being their swordsman. I don't believe any other villain will do.

Sure, there are some other villains - Eustass Kid, Lava-guy-whose-name-escapes-me. But they aren't as principal, and don't have the will of D.

Fishbulb13

[1292]Sep 11, 2010
    Akainu.

Elderlore

[1293]Sep 13, 2010
    So Luffy should end up with a near complete mastery of Haki right? Who would find it funny if say Nami or Chopper passed out when he used it? I initially thought of usin Ussop as an example but it seemed a bit obvious. Franky would be the funniest one in my opinion but I consider that far too unlikely. On a side note, does anyone think someone will have picked up a new nakama for the Straw Hats? Two years is quite the while after all...

Ranemoraken

[1294]Sep 13, 2010
    I doubt there will be a new friend - beyond the ones they've met who wont join the crew. It's been a while, but didn't the whole crew withstand Rayleigh's Haki back at the slave auction? Or was that just a few members. It's been so long, I'll have to recheck.

Besides - I don't think any of us really want the main characters to pass out - because that wont be any good at all. At least with two years of training, we should get at least two arcs of fights with the "what can they do?" mentality.

Fishbulb13

[1295]Sep 14, 2010
    If any of the Strawhats pass out from Luffy's haki, it probably would be for comic purposes. I doubt there will be any new recruits during the timeskip. That's usually Luffy's call. What positions do they still need filled?

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1296]Sep 15, 2010
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    If any of the Strawhats pass out from Luffy's haki, it probably would be for comic purposes. I doubt there will be any new recruits during the timeskip. That's usually Luffy's call. What positions do they still need filled?

Exactly what I was thinking, only reason anyone would pass out from Luffy's haki is for comic relief.

MoCrovellie

[1297]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 11
    Well the Marines and other Pirates have been the main antagonists for all this time, but don't forget the World Goverment, and the 5 uhm olds people, don't recall what they where called. The new world is much vaster then the grandline, and yes the opponents are way stronger. I don't see any of the supernova's get one piece in those 2 years, if even white beard couldn't do it in al his years.

Still about 2 weeks left, i have been rewatching old episodes also and reading old chapters, as Zale said, temporary fixes. One piece is more diverse then Naruto yes, it can go anywhere and anyway.

Fishbulb13

[1298]Sep 16, 2010
    The Gorousei.

The Marines, IMO, are set up as the constant threat throughout the series. Luffy has a rivalry of sorts with Smoker, and now has a reason for vengeance against all three Admirals, but I can't see them being set up as the big bad. That's mostly because they aren't in direct competition with Luffy to get the One Piece. Blackbeard, on the other hand, caused the chain of events that led to Ace being killed, and is trying to get to Raftel, making him the perfect choice of a final enemy. Plus, his crew now has counterparts for the Strawhats to fight.

Ranemoraken

[1299]Sep 16, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the new world is "vaster" - as it is really only the same length as what has already passed.

Anyway, now that the crew is officially "Halfway." Well, not officially...not for probably ten chapters... do you think the manga will tike just as long to finish?

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1300]Sep 18, 2010

Ranemoraken wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the new world is "vaster" - as it is really only the same length as what has already passed. Anyway, now that the crew is officially "Halfway." Well, not officially...not for probably ten chapters... do you think the manga will tike just as long to finish?

By vaster I think he meant that the New World is drastically more imaginative and magical. In the span of a chapter we've already seen just how much more crazier the new world is compared to the old world.

And it really depends on how long One Piece's popularity will last. I forget in which interview he said it in, but Oda said he already knows how exactly to end One Piece and could have ended it already whenever he made that specific interview. Shounen Jump will try and ride out its popularity until the very end. A good chunk of people knew Akira Toriyama originally had Dragon Ball end after the Freiza arc, but did you know he originally originally wanted to end it after Emporer Pilaf? When Goku first turns into a giant monkey? The very very VERY first arc? Hopefully the editors don't piss off Oda too much like they did Yoshihiro Togashi whose limits were tested and axed Yu Yu Hakusho in the middle of the last arc abruptly. Though since he's their cash cow and it seems Oda enjoys creating vast and intricate arcs, One Piece could just as easily last for another 10 years...or more.

Edited on 09/18/2010 5:47am