Official Manga Discussion Thread (Major Spoilers)

MoCrovellie

[1301]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 11

ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:

Ranemoraken wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the new world is "vaster" - as it is really only the same length as what has already passed. Anyway, now that the crew is officially "Halfway." Well, not officially...not for probably ten chapters... do you think the manga will tike just as long to finish?

By vaster I think he meant that the New World is drastically more imaginative and magical. In the span of a chapter we've already seen just how much more crazier the new world is compared to the old world.

And it really depends on how long One Piece's popularity will last. I forget in which interview he said it in, but Oda said he already knows how exactly to end One Piece and could have ended it already whenever he made that specific interview. Shounen Jump will try and ride out its popularity until the very end. A good chunk of people knew Akira Toriyama originally had Dragon Ball end after the Freiza arc, but did you know he originally originally wanted to end it after Emporer Pilaf? When Goku first turns into a giant monkey? The very very VERY first arc? Hopefully the editors don't piss off Oda too much like they did Yoshihiro Togashi whose limits were tested and axed Yu Yu Hakusho in the middle of the last arc abruptly. Though since he's their cash cow and it seems Oda enjoys creating vast and intricate arcs, One Piece could just as easily last for another 10 years...or more.

Actually yes that is what i meant, more imaginative and the arcs can be setup longer then the previous one, becauze it's very crazy in the New World and the people over there are much stronger. He can put as many pirate crews there as he want to encounter the straw hats. He will probably also fill the gaps of the Shichibukai.

Oda can still do so much and go so many directions for a lott of arcs. I also think they will ride out the popularity of One Piece, i hope it will last for a long time.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ranemoraken

[1302]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 20
    MoCrovellie wrote:

ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:

Ranemoraken wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the new world is "vaster" - as it is really only the same length as what has already passed. Anyway, now that the crew is officially "Halfway." Well, not officially...not for probably ten chapters... do you think the manga will tike just as long to finish?

By vaster I think he meant that the New World is drastically more imaginative and magical. In the span of a chapter we've already seen just how much more crazier the new world is compared to the old world.

And it really depends on how long One Piece's popularity will last. I forget in which interview he said it in, but Oda said he already knows how exactly to end One Piece and could have ended it already whenever he made that specific interview. Shounen Jump will try and ride out its popularity until the very end. A good chunk of people knew Akira Toriyama originally had Dragon Ball end after the Freiza arc, but did you know he originally originally wanted to end it after Emporer Pilaf? When Goku first turns into a giant monkey? The very very VERY first arc? Hopefully the editors don't piss off Oda too much like they did Yoshihiro Togashi whose limits were tested and axed Yu Yu Hakusho in the middle of the last arc abruptly. Though since he's their cash cow and it seems Oda enjoys creating vast and intricate arcs, One Piece could just as easily last for another 10 years...or more.

Actually yes that is what i meant, more imaginative and the arcs can be setup longer then the previous one, becauze it's very crazy in the New World and the people over there are much stronger. He can put as many pirate crews there as he want to encounter the straw hats. He will probably also fill the gaps of the Shichibukai.

Oda can still do so much and go so many directions for a lott of arcs. I also think they will ride out the popularity of One Piece, i hope it will last for a long time.

I've liked how the last few arcs have been counter-formula in terms of fights. It's been quite refreshing. I'm not wholly keen on this match-making fights that have always come before. Sure, he's funny as all hell - but it did become routine - even for water 7.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1303]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 47

I'd also like to see some variety happen during these "showdowns." Although the ending to Shaman King fell off a cliff HARD, the build up towards it was one of the best in a shounen anime imo. At first when the group was chasing Hao and they were met with his goonies, it looked like another "You guys go ahead I'll keep them busy" type of thing, but this part of the anime offered a lot of variety in its bag; some guys would immediately defeat the guys they were battling and catch up to the group, or they would help battle the enemies that the latest person who "kept the enemies busy" defeat them.

One Piece in a lot of its arcs matched up the Straw Hats in a Mortal Kombat type of setting where they're battling an enemy in similar strength to them and defeating them one by one. The Whitebeard wars was pretty diverse, but then again the only main character in that entire arc was Luffy.

Edited on 09/22/2010 2:21am

Elderlore

[1304]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 7
    Am I right in thinking it'll be out this week? If it is I think it's likely to be a culmination chapter where it simply shows how everyone has changed and with them on the way to Sabaody and possibly only meeting each other right at the very end. One thing noone seems to have considered is whether or not everyone will want to continue as a Straw-Hat. It's quite unlikely but it'd make a great twist. Maybe Zoro decides he can make it better solo, or Sanji has managed to find All Blue over the time they've spent aprt. Two years is a LONG time after all.

Fishbulb13

[1305]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 16
    If by this week you mean next week, then yes.

MoCrovellie

[1306]Sep 26, 2010
    I don't see any of them leaving the Straw hats, they are too tight. The Sabaody arc was great to IMO, Luffy for the first time running away, knowing they can't beat Kizaru, Sentoumaru and PX-1. Can't wait for the chapter.

Ranemoraken

[1307]Sep 28, 2010
    technically, two years is a longer time apart than they've been together...

But as we know - a ragtag collection of newbies will bond for life after a few days of side-by-side comraderie.

Ranemoraken

[1308]Sep 29, 2010
    Well, chapter will be out soon-ish. I've been thinking...does anyone find it weird that Luffy is training with Raleigh?

I mean...the point of his adventure is to get to Raftel and discover the One Piece. But here he's being trained by the man who has all the answers so that Luffy can go and find the one piece himself. That sounds like a contradiction. Why is Raleigh involved here? What does he gain by sending Luffy as the successor to Roger?

Hmm... I know he might not be doing out of a particular reason... but perhaps it bugs me because I wonder how Roger's crew managed to succeed. Did they have their own mentors to push them to Raftel? If not, this seems like cheating.

Elderlore

[1309]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 7
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    Well, chapter will be out soon-ish. I've been thinking...does anyone find it weird that Luffy is training with Raleigh?

I mean...the point of his adventure is to get to Raftel and discover the One Piece. But here he's being trained by the man who has all the answers so that Luffy can go and find the one piece himself. That sounds like a contradiction. Why is Raleigh involved here? What does he gain by sending Luffy as the successor to Roger?

Hmm... I know he might not be doing out of a particular reason... but perhaps it bugs me because I wonder how Roger's crew managed to succeed. Did they have their own mentors to push them to Raftel? If not, this seems like cheating.

Well they would be likely to have been taught things by people at some point. Plus a lot of people say they see a lot of Roger in Luffy so perhaps it's a sentimental thing too. There's also the chance that the Sea is a lot rougher now as well. Lots of different things could explain this but it's likely to be something we either never find out, or don't find out for ages....

Ranemoraken wrote:
    technically, two years is a longer time apart than they've been together...

But as we know - a ragtag collection of newbies will bond for life after a few days of side-by-side comraderie.
    You say that but there's no indication of how long they've actually been together. The only real idea of time that's been demonstrated is the time it takes for the Log to set. The distance between islands plus the time before hitting the Grand Line could have been aaaaaaaaaages.

Ranemoraken

[1310]Sep 30, 2010
    chapter's up. It's fun, but it's also the end of an era. I also HATE imposters in any story. Not that it's a bad thing for the story, I just hate those characters. I find there's nothing more frustrating than having ones reputation tarnished. As to Elderlore... Well, as I understand it, Oda mentioned that Movie 10 would be the last time Luffy would be this old. There was some thought of a timeskip or the mention of a birthday. As it turned out...

ZaleIsBackAgain

[1311]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 47
    It just hit me right now; there's one common trait that everyone who has the King's Disposition share, which is they have no pride but are ALL integrity. Rayleighs did what he had to do to survive, which means degrading himself down to selling himself as a slave. Whitebeard was stabbed by his very own comrade but saw past that and went even as far as to kneel down and hug him. Shanks was pushed around by lowly thugs but it was unnecessary to get in a tussle with them and threw his pride out the door. Same as Luffy.

MoCrovellie

[1312]Sep 30, 2010
    Ranemoraken wrote:

I think they have had "Mentors" as well, they where Rookies also at one time, or atleast Roger was. Rayleigh said that Luffy remembers him of Roger, so like the other person here said, some sentimental side is there too. And i guess he likes Luffy's spirit, and that Luffy doesn't want to "cheat" and have his own adventures and find One Piece with their own effort. I think we will have some flashbacks with Roger in it in the future. This is the 3rd crewmember they have met, if you also count Tom the shipmaker. Rayleigh, Tom and the dokter, from the whale Baloon. O yeah and ofcourse Shanks and Buggy, but they don't count for real i think. I enjoyed this chapter, it was nice to see them all again, except Franky, didn't see him yet. And i hate Imposters who tarnish reps also, but this is nice for the story. There will be even more characters now, as there are more Rookies/Supernovas. Can't wait for the next chapter!!

Fishbulb13

[1313]Oct 1, 2010
    Technically, 8/9ths of the crew never met Tom, with a DON! They've still met Shakky, Rayleigh, and Crocus though. And Shanks and Buggy do count.

Also, I'm never eating cucumber again.

Ranemoraken

[1314]Oct 7, 2010
    Hmm. Well... It seems Zoro has lost his eye. He could still be foolin' and just is keeping the lids closed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Despite pulling a Mihawk on that ship, I wonder how the strongest swordsman in the world can only have one eye. That to me is a contradiction.

And a part of me hopes that Franky is just piloting this big monstronsity. Maybe I just miss the hair? Or maybe his size makes him an alien to the rest of the crew?

Ranemoraken

[1315]Oct 14, 2010
    Ah franky has his hair.

"It's controllable?"
    "Yes, it's controllable."

Hilarious. And all is right in the world of One Piece.

And I find it odd but...wow...Robin...goddamn...

Fishbulb13

[1316]Oct 14, 2010
    I wonder what kind of new gadgets he installed-mecha.

Fishbulb13

[1317]Oct 25, 2010
    Ok. So we've now set Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji's strength level, and they're setting sail next week. This should start to get real good, real quick.

Ranemoraken

[1318]Oct 25, 2010
    Hmm, I'm not sure when it'll get "Real Good". We've got a mini arc in the fishmen island - and there's no guarentee that it'll be supa-explosive.

Maybe they'll be chased there. Hmm. I do think it'll take a while before we get excited. But it'll probably be funny as hell.

Ranemoraken

[1319]Oct 28, 2010
    alright, so that's over. Not much I want to say.

Who's up for some Arlong? I've been wondering if they'll have him on the next island or not. I know he's been captured...

Fishbulb13

[1320]Oct 31, 2010
    I expect either a "war" between fishmen and mermen, or a faction of fishmen who aren't happy when outsiders show up on Fishmen Island.