One Piece Episode of Alabasta:Dessert Princess and the Pirates Discussion Thread

Death-T

[1]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 6
    An official discussion thread for the theatre premeir and DVD release of the English adaption. I'll be seeing this movie in theatres tommorow and intend on buying the DVD the day it comes out. =)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Matt_Purosky

[2]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 25

Well, I preordered the movie. Too bad that other theater near us closed down Looks like I'll have to wait to see it.

(BTW, it's Desert Pirates, not "Dessert Pirates" xDD *Homer Simpson voice* Mmmm, dessert pirates...)

alex4319

[3]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 7
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

Well, I preordered the movie. Too bad that other theater near us closed down Looks like I'll have to wait to see it.

(BTW, it's Desert Pirates, not "Dessert Pirates" xDD *Homer Simpson voice* Mmmm, dessert pirates...)

I hated movie 8 simply because it was condensed and skipped many vital parts (which is understandable no one can make a 120 minute movie based on a 30 episode arc without skipping some things ) I was really dissapointed with the fact that .....Tashigi(My favorite character ) was not in this movie and so was Smoker, the Movie lacked the epic feel of the series but just felt rushed and a attempt to remind the viewers of the alabasta arc(which is considered one of the best arcs in the series) the conclusion of Luffy vs crocodile did not feel as satisfying as the series. the only thing I think was better than the series itself is the animation(even in that aspect it fails it looks inconsistent at times ) example look at Vivi when she tells pell. I will purchase the dvd when it comes out simply to support Funimation and out of interest to hear Vivis voice but no tashigi
    Edited on 02/09/2008 11:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Death-T

[4]Feb 10, 2008

I loved the movie in theatres. I dunno, I guess the dub, animation and awesomness of seeing it on the bigscreen really just enhanced the experience, and clouded my previous distaste with the movie.

Well, I just made a long post on another forum, so I'll just quote it.

Death-T wrote:

I just got back from the theatres. There was only one other person there beside me. He was kinda a big guy, he wasn't very knowledgable of the movie, seeing that he asked me if it was animated or live action before we even saw it. He was nice though, didn't talk to him much after that. I did want to meet more people. but whatever. Anyway, I loved the movie. I guess the dub, animation and the awesomeness of seeing it in theatres really enhanced the experience for me. and clouded my previous opinion of what I thought it was. It really isn't that bad. There was occasional swearing, which was nice to hear. So here's to revised dialouge on the uncut Skypiea DVDs. Hearing Zoro called Zoro was cool to, as was seeing Sanji with his cigarette, and the Nami fanservice.^^ I really think that anyone(well, anyone who isn't a total doosh) who has a distaste for the current dub would've had a different opinion after watching this movie. You can tell that the actors have gained a lot more experience with their characters by the time they dubbed this movie, the game to. Which I didn't expect, since it seemed like they'd announced the aquisition of both at the same time they started dubbing the early episodes. I can now say that Zoro couldn't of had a better voice actor. His voice is nothing like what it was in the earlier dub episodes. It's not nearly as deep, it's like a whole different voice. It sounds very natural and is a joy to listen to. I also loved Nami's voice, and Luffy's acting was damn near perfect. I'm really starting to like him, now I have the ideal English voices to imagine when reading the manga. I'm also glad that the voices and acting quality that we'll hear on the Season one boxset will be similar to what was in this movie, since it is one of their later One Piece productions. I'll be buying the movie DVD and can't wait for the boxsets.

Edited on 02/10/2008 2:52pm

Matt_Purosky

[5]Feb 10, 2008
    alex4319 wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

I hated movie 8 simply because it was condensed and skipped many vital parts (which is understandable no one can make a 120 minute movie based on a 30 episode arc without skipping some things ) I was really dissapointed with the fact that .....Tashigi(My favorite character ) was not in this movie and so was Smoker, the Movie lacked the epic feel of the series but just felt rushed and a attempt to remind the viewers of the alabasta arc(which is considered one of the best arcs in the series) the conclusion of Luffy vs crocodile did not feel as satisfying as the series. the only thing I think was better than the series itself is the animation(even in that aspect it fails it looks inconsistent at times ) example look at Vivi when she tells pell. I will purchase the dvd when it comes out simply to support Funimation and out of interest to hear Vivis voice but no tashigi

I know, I miss Tashigi too. But eh, seeing it w/o the Marines involved sounds interesting.

Can't wait for it to come out to DVD.

warnerbroman

[6]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 15
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    alex4319 wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

I know, I miss Tashigi too. But eh, seeing it w/o the Marines involved sounds interesting.

Can't wait for it to come out to DVD.

me neither oh the fights and fanservice

furubalove7

[7]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 11
    Death-T wrote:

I loved the movie in theatres. I dunno, I guess the dub, animation and awesomness of seeing it on the bigscreen really just enhanced the experience, and clouded my previous distaste with the movie.

Death-T wrote:

I just got back from the theatres. There was only one other person there beside me. He was kinda a big guy, he wasn't very knowledgable of the movie, seeing that he asked me if it was animated or live action before we even saw it. He was nice though, didn't talk to him much after that. I did want to meet more people. but whatever. Anyway, I loved the movie. I guess the dub, animation and the awesomeness of seeing it in theatres really enhanced the experience for me. and clouded my previous opinion of what I thought it was. It really isn't that bad. There was occasional swearing, which was nice to hear. So here's to revised dialouge on the uncut Skypiea DVDs. Hearing Zoro called Zoro was cool to, as was seeing Sanji with his cigarette, and the Nami fanservice.^^ I really think that anyone(well, anyone who isn't a total doosh) who has a distaste for the current dub would've had a different opinion after watching this movie. You can tell that the actors have gained a lot more experience with their characters by the time they dubbed this movie, the game to. Which I didn't expect, since it seemed like they'd announced the aquisition of both at the same time they started dubbing the early episodes. I can now say that Zoro couldn't of had a better voice actor. His voice is nothing like what it was in the earlier dub episodes. It's not nearly as deep, it's like a whole different voice. It sounds very natural and is a joy to listen to. I also loved Nami's voice, and Luffy's acting was damn near perfect. I'm really starting to like him, now I have the ideal English voices to imagine when reading the manga. I'm also glad that the voices and acting quality that we'll hear on the Season one boxset will be similar to what was in this movie, since it is one of their later One Piece productions. I'll be buying the movie DVD and can't wait for the boxsets.

u just made me so excited for the movie. i pre ordered it off amazon so i'll get it in a few weeks but. now i'm anxious

Death-T

[8]Feb 11, 2008
    furubalove7 wrote:
    Death-T wrote:

Death-T wrote:

u just made me so excited for the movie. i pre ordered it off amazon so i'll get it in a few weeks but. now i'm anxious

That's nice to hear.^^ I hope it meets or even exceeds(as it did me) your expectations. The movie isn't THAT great, but I think you can really enjoy it from the dub. It's not so much that the acting quality is a lot better then the Japanese version. It's really more that I had so much excitement to see the dub of this film and to see how they handeled epic scenes that are very emotional and of great importance to the series'. I think you'll like it. =)

furubalove7

[9]Feb 11, 2008

I actually enjoyed the japanese version of this. A lot of people didn't though.

i ordered it along w/ Death Note 13 cause they come out on the same day. so i really want my order to come!

Shadowflame291

[10]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 12

Unfortunatley I missed it in theatres but I'll definiteley buy the DVD.

CainSSJ4

[11]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 3

Well for those who absolutely CAN'T WAIT for the DVD (or are in some places outside the US and won't be seeing it for a while). Someone's uploaded some clips to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=goten88gt

Man I have the DVD, and it's great watching the Storm scene, Colleen did an AWESOME JOB!

Matt_Purosky

[12]Feb 13, 2008
    *listens to Bon Clay's FUNi voice* OMG, they still kept the fruitiness! I was afraid they wouldn't make him sound fruity! He sounds almost like his 4Kids VA, only more fruity!

MB9456

[13]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    Matt_Purosky wrote:
    *listens to Bon Clay's FUNi voice* OMG, they still kept the fruitiness! I was afraid they wouldn't make him sound fruity! He sounds almost like his 4Kids VA, only more fruity!

This is Funi we're talking about, even though their not perfect they have a way of turning their shows into hits.

Yeah, I liked Bon Clay's voice. I also like Chopper's line "Damn you Bastards!"

Shadowflame291

[14]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 12

Matt_Purosky wrote:

Sounds to me like a cross between his Japanese voice and his 4Kids voice.

Drunk_Samurai

[15]Feb 13, 2008
    Why the hell is this pinned?
    Edited on 02/13/2008 4:19pm

Death-T

[16]Feb 13, 2008

Drunk_Samurai wrote:
    Why the hell is this pinned?

I dunno, aren't the episode discussions usually pinned ? Well I guess it's kinda like that then. Maybe it'll eventually be tunred into a One Piece Movie discussion thread.

furubalove7

[17]Feb 13, 2008
    gah! idk wat i should do, i wanna watch the clips, but i want it to be a surprise. ugh, this is so frustrating

Death-T

[18]Feb 13, 2008

furubalove7 wrote:
    gah! idk wat i should do, i wanna watch the clips, but i want it to be a surprise. ugh, this is so frustrating

Well then, I'd suggest waiting for the DVD, depsite what torture you might have to undergo. =p It comes out in just a few days, hell from what I hear a lot of Best Buys already have it.^^

Drunk_Samurai

[19]Feb 13, 2008
    I just wanted to hear Bon Clay.

lighting_blond

[20]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 24

Very funny.