One Piece Episode of Alabasta:Dessert Princess and the Pirates Discussion Thread

FairyOfSadness

[121]May 20, 2008
    • level: 4

I'm gonna have to step in and say one thing...

No offense, HighlighterHaze, but Death-T's pretty much right. You are acting like a fanboy now. I am not calling you a fanboy, but you are acting like one, by defending the original names like this. That's what the uncut DVDs are for. Heck, even if we weren't getting uncuts, it wouldn't matter. They're just names, it doesn't change anything. Eiichiro Oda is not going to flip because "In the English version, Zoro is now called Zolo! Those Americans destroyed my work!" Death-T pretty much wrapped it all up. Believe me, there are others who want the original names too, but they'll get their wish if they buy the DVDs! It's all about marketing! Funimation knows changing the names angers the fans, and since they're being forced to change the names by Cartoon Network, it just means more people will want to buy the uncut DVDs.

And Matt... you might want to take this to the All Blue thread, but you are not a fanboy in any way. I don't know if I've said this before, but fanboys don't question their own... fanboyness. And yeah, you respect others opinions, and you just like correcting people. Saying that it doesn't make sense that Spongebob Squarepants is gay (homosexual) when it comes from ignorant people who don't know what they're talking about isn't being a fanboy. Saying that liking Winx Club doesn't make you a pedophile isn't being a fanboy.

Here is my definition of the term "fanboy"...

A fanboy is not someone who is fixated on one thing, as the flame warrior roster said. People can be a fanboy of two things. Some consider Bryan a 4K!ds and Viewtiful Joe fanboy. Fanboys will also go out of their way to defend whatever it is they are a fanboy of, regardless of opinion. Anyway, I do not think Death-T is a fanboy, especially since I think he admitted it once lol. HighlighterHaze, however, may not really be a fanboy, but he seems to be going out of his way to defend something mindless. Bryan does that a lot too, especially since he has no real evidence to back it up. Matt, on the other hand, is not - he thoroughly researches everything before making a claim, like the non-racism thing.

But if anyone wants to continue discussing what a fanboy is, let's go to the All Blue thread.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Matt_Purosky

[122]May 20, 2008
    • level: 25
    Nice definition, Brianna. And thanks. If I ever do want to talk more about fanboyism in general, I'll go to All Blue. As for this current discussion... as you can already guess, it doesn't matter either way to me, except maybe some of the Skypiea terms, which never aired on TV a lot of them make no sense at all.

Death-T

[123]May 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

shinigamikid wrote:
    warnerbroman wrote:
    CN Australia will be airing the Alabasta movie. I wonder how edited it will be... if it's even edited. Well, at least it'll air on one CN... >_>
    Lucky them. I bet they just edit out the profanity and blood.

I wouldn't be so sure. Remember, CN thinks it would be confusing for someone who's seen the 4Kids dub over a hundred consecutive times and seen a character who has been consistently referred to as Zolo for him to suddenly be referred to as Zoro (*gasp* I said Zoro again!), so they might have the name changes too... and the 4Kids dub aired on CN Australia, as well as the version of the edited FUNi dub with "Zolo" as well... however, there actually is a chance they may just edit his name.

Obviously thats a stupid way of thinking. They would get use to it. Corporations are almost always stupid.

Um, that is not stupid reasoning at all. You're just whining because you want the original names on TV. Basic consistency is something CN should want on their broadcast. It would be very unprofessional otherwise.

Actually its not unprofessional at all. You honestly don't know what you are talking about.

Wow. just wow. If you're going to try and argue with me, then actually support your claims. For a TV network to air 100+ episodes of a show and then abruptly change main character names and terminology is just blatant inconsistency. Allowing that simply wouldn't be a good move. Even disregarding the issue of consistency, Cartoon Network is still obliged to to use certain names such as Zolo because of Shueisha demands. The exception to that are home video merchendise such as video games and uncut DVDs. You forget that FUNimation was lucky to even be able to do that.

Your response isn't even an arguement. All you did was simply further insist that you were right with no actual support for your arguement. You're really no different from bryanoftoons in that respect. And honestly, that was one of the most annoying things about him. Don't say that I don't know what I'm talking about unless you can tell me why.

It doesn't matter if it would be inconsistent. Everybody would get use to it and it wouldn't go against Oda's wishes to change names that he created. The mangaka is always more important than what some corporation wants.

What you are, is an unreasonable fanboy.

In this case, and in most, consistency does matter and for obvious reasons for a television network. If "everyone would get used to it" is the best arguement you have, then it would be best for you to just keep it all to yourself.

If it comes to what the author wants, he likely doesn't mind. He doesn't have the time nor the energy to be pissed about what a few of his characters are called in some foreign adaptation of the One Piece anime. He is probably a very reasonable person and very understandable of the companies wishses. He's not going to complain and argue about the same crap that you unreasonable fanboys do. Regardless, Eichiro Oda doesn't have any 'say' on the subject, and has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. Only Toei, Cartoon Network, and Shuiesha have any say on that.

You're desperate and resort to unreasonable arguements. In short, you're obviously not very intelligent. I know what you're going to say. "The author is the most important part of One Piece, he is just as unreasonable as I am and longs for the names to be reverted to the original on the TV broadcast, the companies are disrespecting his wishes, and that you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about."

I've heard the same crap from you and many other people before. So please, don't waste your time.

You haven't even given any real evidence how consistency in names actually matters. So what if a few kids get confused? Show real evidence that it actually matters. I'm a fanboy.

*Sighs* You could've just said that to begin with. Then I would've already known that you weren't worth arguing with. Even though I really already had the feeling that you weren't. Whatever, thanks for wasting my time.

I didn't actually say I was a fanboy. I'm laughing at the fact you called me one.

It wasn't just your blatantly calling yourself a fanboy that made me decide you weren't worth arguing with. It's the incomprehensible idiocy of your arguement that has me convinced that you're a joke. Whether or not you think of yourself as a fanboy is none of my concern. You are a fanboy and your lack of intelligence proves it.

Or maybe its your ignorance? You decide not to state actual facts but instead decide to ignore the argument itself. That honestly shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

I've never once decided to ignore your arguement. I've reponded to your argue"ment in every possible way. Your only arguement is "they'll get used to it", and "basic consistency in major character names isn't important at all in a story". What is there left to argue about with someone who can only say this to combat my arguement? I've already said everything that is needed to be said. I can accept that your opinion is different from my own. I would like the original names to be kept to. But it's obvious why it's in the best interest of Cartoon Network to keep using the 4K!Ds names and terminology for the broadcast version. You've no decent arguement against their reasonings. You'll just have to accept it and move on. I obviously do know what I'm talking about.

If "they'll get used to it", and "basic consistency in major character names isn't important at all in a story" are arguements that you actually think I should take seriously, then you can just talk to yourself. I no longer care to argue with a stubborn fanboy, nor do I give half a sh*t about what you say afterwards. Even though they would also prefer for the original names to be used, most would agree that I am the one who knows what the hell they're talking about right now. You can turn my logic around and say that I am ignoring your arguements all you want. It's obvious to the intelligent people here who is right.

Maybe you should take them seriously? It would show that you are not so ignorant. Also you are completely ignorant if you think I am a fanboy. You obviously don't know what a fanboy is. If anything I would be an elitist to the sub. Which isn't even true since I like both versions.

If you can't even begin to comprehend why I can't take arguements such as "they'll get used to it" and "main character name consistency is of absolutely no importance to a story" seriously, then you're obviously arguing with the wrong person. Who're you to call me ignorant because of that ? I thought that you would try to combat my claim regarding your arguement, but... You're just awknowledging those as your actual arguement. You are really quite pathetic if you don't understand the simplicity of what I'm saying, and how ignorant your arguement is. You're just an insult to my intelligence. If you want to argue with me, then take me seriously.

You have intelligence?

...Well, it would seem you've nothing else to say. Good day to you sir.

Actually I just resorted to what you did. By trying to insult me it shows how much of a kid you are. You remind me of a guy I used to know named Bill. Either you are him or his younger brother. You are honestly pathetic if you think insults make you look intelligent.

If you would be willing to do so, then I would like you to read this post. I'm not insulting you to look intelligent. Nor have I ever dedicated a whole post for that reason. You were the first to do this. You said that I've obviously no clue what I'm talking about for no reason. Then when I question this, you submit one of the most ridiculous arguements I've ever seen.

Whether or not you or I agree on the names being changed on the broadcast isn't the point. But it's quite obvious why Cartoon Network, Shuiesha and Toei would prefer for the broadcast names to be kept. You honestly expect me to take "they'll get over it" and "main character name consistency is of no importance in a story" seriously ? Have you even thought about what you're saying ? It's you who's been ignoring my arguements.

It's nothing less than common sense that a television network should want to keep using the names that have been used for the main characters of a program that has run for over one hundred episodes. It would not be professional for them to do otherwise under any circumstances. It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon, or if the names in question aren't the original. It would be no different from changing the character names in a sequel to a novel with the same cast of characters. That's just an example. The original names aside, actually think about what you're talking about.

You claimed that Cartoon Network is stupid because of these reasonings, and that I've no idea what I'm talking about for understanding them. If anyone is in the position to provide more evidence for their arguement, then it is you. I've answered to your arguement, however unreasonable. You've said nothing in defense of your claims. You've just dismissed the reasonings these corporations have as stupid. "They'll get over it" is not a reasonable response to this arguement. Is that what you beleive a television network should expect of it's audience ? I've said it once and I will say it again, it would be unprofessional. I've a well supported reason for every one of my arguements. But it's only common sense. You've only insulted my intelligence in actually calling me ignorant to explain something so simple. It's a fanboy move. You're just stubborn, unreasonable and want the original names. Despite what reason they have, if the network doesn't do as you want, they're stupid.

Regardless of whether or not your agree with thier choice, you have to be able to concede to proper reasoning. You can't just call a company stupid for every choice you disagree with. Especially if you can't even submit a decent arguement for your claim. And if you think you can tell people they've no idea what they're talking about when they disagree with you, and don't expect to be insulted, then you have another thing comin'. Honestly, I didn't even oppose you. I just said my opinion and tried to explain to you why Cartoon Network did what they did. But you just dedided that I have no idea what I'm talking about and didn't even explain why. It's your bold claims with lack of elaboration, poor arguements, and abrupt insults that convinced me to call you a fanboy. reminds me an awfull lot of *cough*drunk_samurai*cough*.

Edited on 05/20/2008 6:01pm
    Edited 5 total times.

warnerbroman

[124]May 23, 2008
    • level: 15
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Death-T wrote:
    HighlighterHaze wrote:
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

shinigamikid wrote:
    warnerbroman wrote:
    CN Australia will be airing the Alabasta movie. I wonder how edited it will be... if it's even edited. Well, at least it'll air on one CN... >_>
    Lucky them. I bet they just edit out the profanity and blood.

I wouldn't be so sure. Remember, CN thinks it would be confusing for someone who's seen the 4Kids dub over a hundred consecutive times and seen a character who has been consistently referred to as Zolo for him to suddenly be referred to as Zoro (*gasp* I said Zoro again!), so they might have the name changes too... and the 4Kids dub aired on CN Australia, as well as the version of the edited FUNi dub with "Zolo" as well... however, there actually is a chance they may just edit his name.

Obviously thats a stupid way of thinking. They would get use to it. Corporations are almost always stupid.

Um, that is not stupid reasoning at all. You're just whining because you want the original names on TV. Basic consistency is something CN should want on their broadcast. It would be very unprofessional otherwise.

Actually its not unprofessional at all. You honestly don't know what you are talking about.

Wow. just wow. If you're going to try and argue with me, then actually support your claims. For a TV network to air 100+ episodes of a show and then abruptly change main character names and terminology is just blatant inconsistency. Allowing that simply wouldn't be a good move. Even disregarding the issue of consistency, Cartoon Network is still obliged to to use certain names such as Zolo because of Shueisha demands. The exception to that are home video merchendise such as video games and uncut DVDs. You forget that FUNimation was lucky to even be able to do that.

Your response isn't even an arguement. All you did was simply further insist that you were right with no actual support for your arguement. You're really no different from bryanoftoons in that respect. And honestly, that was one of the most annoying things about him. Don't say that I don't know what I'm talking about unless you can tell me why.

It doesn't matter if it would be inconsistent. Everybody would get use to it and it wouldn't go against Oda's wishes to change names that he created. The mangaka is always more important than what some corporation wants.

What you are, is an unreasonable fanboy.

In this case, and in most, consistency does matter and for obvious reasons for a television network. If "everyone would get used to it" is the best arguement you have, then it would be best for you to just keep it all to yourself.

If it comes to what the author wants, he likely doesn't mind. He doesn't have the time nor the energy to be pissed about what a few of his characters are called in some foreign adaptation of the One Piece anime. He is probably a very reasonable person and very understandable of the companies wishses. He's not going to complain and argue about the same crap that you unreasonable fanboys do. Regardless, Eichiro Oda doesn't have any 'say' on the subject, and has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. Only Toei, Cartoon Network, and Shuiesha have any say on that.

You're desperate and resort to unreasonable arguements. In short, you're obviously not very intelligent. I know what you're going to say. "The author is the most important part of One Piece, he is just as unreasonable as I am and longs for the names to be reverted to the original on the TV broadcast, the companies are disrespecting his wishes, and that you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about."

I've heard the same crap from you and many other people before. So please, don't waste your time.

You haven't even given any real evidence how consistency in names actually matters. So what if a few kids get confused? Show real evidence that it actually matters. I'm a fanboy.

*Sighs* You could've just said that to begin with. Then I would've already known that you weren't worth arguing with. Even though I really already had the feeling that you weren't. Whatever, thanks for wasting my time.

I didn't actually say I was a fanboy. I'm laughing at the fact you called me one.

It wasn't just your blatantly calling yourself a fanboy that made me decide you weren't worth arguing with. It's the incomprehensible idiocy of your arguement that has me convinced that you're a joke. Whether or not you think of yourself as a fanboy is none of my concern. You are a fanboy and your lack of intelligence proves it.

Or maybe its your ignorance? You decide not to state actual facts but instead decide to ignore the argument itself. That honestly shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

I've never once decided to ignore your arguement. I've reponded to your argue"ment in every possible way. Your only arguement is "they'll get used to it", and "basic consistency in major character names isn't important at all in a story". What is there left to argue about with someone who can only say this to combat my arguement? I've already said everything that is needed to be said. I can accept that your opinion is different from my own. I would like the original names to be kept to. But it's obvious why it's in the best interest of Cartoon Network to keep using the 4K!Ds names and terminology for the broadcast version. You've no decent arguement against their reasonings. You'll just have to accept it and move on. I obviously do know what I'm talking about.

If "they'll get used to it", and "basic consistency in major character names isn't important at all in a story" are arguements that you actually think I should take seriously, then you can just talk to yourself. I no longer care to argue with a stubborn fanboy, nor do I give half a sh*t about what you say afterwards. Even though they would also prefer for the original names to be used, most would agree that I am the one who knows what the hell they're talking about right now. You can turn my logic around and say that I am ignoring your arguements all you want. It's obvious to the intelligent people here who is right.

Maybe you should take them seriously? It would show that you are not so ignorant. Also you are completely ignorant if you think I am a fanboy. You obviously don't know what a fanboy is. If anything I would be an elitist to the sub. Which isn't even true since I like both versions.

If you can't even begin to comprehend why I can't take arguements such as "they'll get used to it" and "main character name consistency is of absolutely no importance to a story" seriously, then you're obviously arguing with the wrong person. Who're you to call me ignorant because of that ? I thought that you would try to combat my claim regarding your arguement, but... You're just awknowledging those as your actual arguement. You are really quite pathetic if you don't understand the simplicity of what I'm saying, and how ignorant your arguement is. You're just an insult to my intelligence. If you want to argue with me, then take me seriously.

You have intelligence?

...Well, it would seem you've nothing else to say. Good day to you sir.

Actually I just resorted to what you did. By trying to insult me it shows how much of a kid you are. You remind me of a guy I used to know named Bill. Either you are him or his younger brother. You are honestly pathetic if you think insults make you look intelligent.

If you would be willing to do so, then I would like you to read this post. I'm not insulting you to look intelligent. Nor have I ever dedicated a whole post for that reason. You were the first to do this. You said that I've obviously no clue what I'm talking about for no reason. Then when I question this, you submit one of the most ridiculous arguements I've ever seen.

Whether or not you or I agree on the names being changed on the broadcast isn't the point. But it's quite obvious why Cartoon Network, Shuiesha and Toei would prefer for the broadcast names to be kept. You honestly expect me to take "they'll get over it" and "main character name consistency is of no importance in a story" seriously ? Have you even thought about what you're saying ? It's you who's been ignoring my arguements.

It's nothing less than common sense that a television network should want to keep using the names that have been used for the main characters of a program that has run for over one hundred episodes. It would not be professional for them to do otherwise under any circumstances. It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon, or if the names in question aren't the original. It would be no different from changing the character names in a sequel to a novel with the same cast of characters. That's just an example. The original names aside, actually think about what you're talking about.

You claimed that Cartoon Network is stupid because of these reasonings, and that I've no idea what I'm talking about for understanding them. If anyone is in the position to provide more evidence for their arguement, then it is you. I've answered to your arguement, however unreasonable. You've said nothing in defense of your claims. You've just dismissed the reasonings these corporations have as stupid. "They'll get over it" is not a reasonable response to this arguement. Is that what you beleive a television network should expect of it's audience ? I've said it once and I will say it again, it would be unprofessional. I've a well supported reason for every one of my arguements. But it's only common sense. You've only insulted my intelligence in actually calling me ignorant to explain something so simple. It's a fanboy move. You're just stubborn, unreasonable and want the original names. Despite what reason they have, if the network doesn't do as you want, they're stupid.

Regardless of whether or not your agree with thier choice, you have to be able to concede to proper reasoning. You can't just call a company stupid for every choice you disagree with. Especially if you can't even submit a decent arguement for your claim. And if you think you can tell people they've no idea what they're talking about when they disagree with you, and don't expect to be insulted, then you have another thing comin'. Honestly, I didn't even oppose you. I just said my opinion and tried to explain to you why Cartoon Network did what they did. But you just dedided that I have no idea what I'm talking about and didn't even explain why. It's your bold claims with lack of elaboration, poor arguements, and abrupt insults that convinced me to call you a fanboy. reminds me an awfull lot of *cough*drunk_samurai*cough*.

wow I can't believe I started all of this wow

Matt_Purosky

[125]May 23, 2008
    Yeah, elongated quote frames are getting old. Let's stop it for now.

warnerbroman

[126]May 23, 2008
    • level: 15
    it was hard to scroll down

Matt_Purosky

[127]May 23, 2008
    Yeah, it was. It was getting to point where you had to scroll down to see the quote.

silvdude

[128]May 25, 2008
    • level: 8
    at least they kept the blood the cursing the name changes mostly death refrence and perveted scnes well just to let ya know i was not mad that they use gum gum clone clone and sand sand and they tranlated the attacks it is okay to tranlate something from japenese as long as is is a smooth tralation(koff taffy troncer and sanji food puns koff koff).

TobiUchiha

[129]May 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    silvdude wrote:
    at least they kept the blood the cursing the name changes mostly death refrence and perveted scnes well just to let ya know i was not mad that they use gum gum clone clone and sand sand and they tranlated the attacks it is okay to tranlate something from japenese as long as is is a smooth tralation(koff taffy troncer and sanji food puns koff koff).
    yeah, i hate the names of the attacks that 4kids gave Sanji. they just sound so corny.

shinigamikid

[130]May 26, 2008
    • level: 32
    silvdude wrote:
    I thought it will aired on May 30th(on Australia). Has it already aired?

silvdude

[131]May 28, 2008
    sorry i meant the eng dvd it was uncut i was saying it was good funi did not edit it.

shinigamikid

[132]May 28, 2008
    silvdude wrote:
    sorry i meant the eng dvd it was uncut i was saying it was good funi did not edit it.
    Oh I thought so. Anyways, I hope someone upload the edited version of that Alabasta movie. Just wanna see how they their edits.

silvdude

[133]May 29, 2008
    has it been confrimed that they will edit it?

shinigamikid

[134]May 29, 2008
    silvdude wrote:
    has it been confrimed that they will edit it?
    I don't know. It gonna be broadcast for sure. I think they will do some editing..For Example: Zoro to Zolo.

silvdude

[135]May 30, 2008
    yeah they probally will. oh and btw in enlgish class our final project is an oral movie presation with a scene included I chose one piece movie 8 eng dubbed of corse and chose the scene where luffy fights croc this will finally prove those ignorant school critics that one piece was not meant to be kiddy.

Death-T

[136]May 30, 2008
    • level: 6
    One Piece is a kids show no matter how you look at it and those school kids aren't gonna stop making fun of you just because there's a little bit of blood in a cartoon. Contrary, they'll probably think even less of you for trying to push it on them further while yelling "it not meant tebee kiddie!!!1".

silvdude

[137]May 31, 2008
    in our culture it would not be considered a kids show with our standard. I downloaded, it what did the box say it was rated? stuff like spengebob and scooy doo has the most cheessy violence ever. in japen everything is bloddy so the fact that this show has a kiddy storyline makes it for kids here. if it was uncut it would not be for kids cause I never seen a kids show with blood in it.
    Edited on 05/31/2008 12:41pm

oaklandajj

[138]May 31, 2008
    • level: 2

one piece is the best manga. The movie is great i just got it from my library and its awesome. so is robin, too bad if you get to close she will break ur back.

oaklandajj

[139]May 31, 2008
    Did u see wat happened to one piece on toonami. they replaced it with that stuped dragon ball z rip off blue dragon

oaklandajj

[140]May 31, 2008
    They better bring it back or they will be sorry. im getting tired of having to wait for the episode were luffy kicks enerus sorry little but (tonamis sorry little but)