One piece is unofficially cancelled

Do you think funi NOT airing eps is better than 4kids airing them?

shadowysea07

[1]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 25
    Well since they dont plan on doing anything except releasing dvds i unofficially declare the dub cancelled. how trully sad. but what can ya do.
    Edited on 10/22/2008 1:00pm
    Edited 7 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Whitewind617

[2]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 5
    they've said already that they have no plans to put One Piece on the air again, but FUNimation is still dubbing the early episodes uncut, and they just released volume 2 today as a matter of fact. I gotta go find those eps.

StarCannon30

[3]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 7
    Whitewind617 wrote:
    they've said already that they have no plans to put One Piece on the air again, but FUNimation is still dubbing the early episodes uncut, and they just released volume 2 today as a matter of fact. I gotta go find those eps.

They never said that. The only reason there will be no new edited dub episodes is because CN canceled Toonami.

Matt_Purosky

[4]Sep 23, 2008
    Gaijin Side said that CN was planning a new Friday night action block, with shows like Batman: The Brave and the Bold (I also saw promos for Star Wars: Clone Wars during Toonami Jetstream) and possibly Powerpuff Girls Z. If One Piece returns, it'll be on this.

Matt_Purosky

[5]Sep 23, 2008

Hate to double post but...

Whitewind617 wrote:

SERIOUSLY?! Wow, I'm WAY behind on One Piece news. I never even finished my volume 1 comparison clips.

Edited on 09/23/2008 1:03pm

Whitewind617

[6]Sep 23, 2008
    "On April 12, 2007, Funimation announced it had acquired the license of One Piece and is currently producing the English version from episodes 144 to 167, which premiered on Cartoon Network on September 29, 2007, though it was canceled on March 22, 2008.[25] However, this dub kept airing for three weeks longer on Australia's Cartoon Network."

They had put the edited dub on hiatus to work on the uncut episodes, and I'm almost positive that CN has said that even if work on the edited dub ever resumed (which, as said above, has now been completely canceled) they would not be re-airing it. Only the uncut dub is currently being worked on, and work on the edited dub will probably never resume. Personally, I have no idea why you would watch the edited one, as it picks up from the 4kids episodes (no CLUE why they chose to do that,) which, because of 4kids errors and cuts, will have numerous plot holes. I guess you could watch from the Japanese episodes, but come on, why would you switch versions after like 140 eps?

PS-that quote is from Wikipedia, and I also clicked a link from there a while ago(can find it now) to the actual press release that CN made about it.

Whitewind617

[7]Sep 23, 2008
    ok found it. Heres the press release.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-29/cartoon-network-has-no-plans-for-one-piece-return

Matt_Purosky

[8]Sep 23, 2008

I apologize for the lack of quote tags, but TV.com is being difficult now.

"On April 12, 2007, Funimation announced it had acquired the license of One Piece and is currently producing the English version from episodes 144 to 167, which premiered on Cartoon Network on September 29, 2007, though it was canceled on March 22, 2008.[25] However, this dub kept airing for three weeks longer on Australia's Cartoon Network."

Yeah, I've seen that, but it also says this:

"According to a representative, the network has aired all the episodes it received and does not plan to repeat them."

I know Australia got more episodes, but this implies that maybe CN didn't get them all yet. I just hope either country continues someday. Though I'd actually count on Australia airing them first, as from what I heard, BOTH dubs are actually pretty popular there, moreso than the US.

"They had put the edited dub on hiatus to work on the uncut episodes, and I'm almost positive that CN has said that even if work on the edited dub ever resumed (which, as said above, has now been completely canceled) they would not be re-airing it."

They said they wouldn't rerun any old episodes, not that they wouldn't air any new episodes. And that does sound plausible, it being on hiatus, but I had evidence that FUNi dubbed up to at least episode 189 (150) because of the titles that were on Aussie CN's website.

"Only the uncut dub is currently being worked on, and work on the edited dub will probably never resume. Personally, I have no idea why you would watch the edited one, as it picks up from the 4kids episodes (no CLUE why they chose to do that,) which, because of 4kids errors and cuts, will have numerous plot holes."

Well, CN forced them to do that because to them, the 4Kids dub and the edited FUNi dub are the same show. It's nothing new, really - they did the exact same thing with the Ocean and FUNi dubs of Dragon Ball Z, the 4Kids and PUSA dubs of Pokémon, and the DiC/Cloverway dubs of Sailor Moon.

As for the plotholes... I already watched the Laboon and Little Garden arcs in Japanese (and read half of LG) so it won't be a problem to me. I just hope the other dub viewers get a chance to read/watch them before it's too late... or else they'll just have to use their... nah, I've made that joke too much.

"I guess you could watch from the Japanese episodes, but come on, why would you switch versions after like 140 eps?"

I might just have to do that. I mean, I already started doing that with Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX, (or just Yu-Gi-Oh! GX as we know it in the states) because 4Kids announced they wouldn't be dubbing season 4 (at least not yet). It's still fine to me, even after seeing 155 English episodes of GX. I'm also pretty far in the Ojamajo Doremi (Magical DoReMi) subs, but that hasn't been fully subbed yet and I'm a little behind (and it was only 50 dubbed episodes, and I started after 26). I finished Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power) in Japanese as well, but that was half and half (26 episodes of both versions).

In fact, in the case with One Piece, I might actually do this. I've only really seen one uncut episode of OP, because I didn't have much incentive to watch until I actually bought the DVD, but I'd been putting off buying it for personal reasons involving my job and my budget and my debit card that you probably don't want to hear about (if you do want to hear about it, let's go to the All Blue thread).

However, ever since I found a site called the TV IV (think Wikipedia meets TV.com), I've been thinking of just watching the FUNi uncut eps before I buy the DVDs, but I don't know if I want to go ahead of the FUNi dub or just wait for the uncut DVDs before I do anything to the episodes on the guide. I mean, I have been watching Sonic X subbed to add info on it, even though I've already seen all 78 dubbed episodes.

Edited on 09/23/2008 6:34pm

Adv193

[9]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 23
    Other then anime, anything that is not an original program of Cartoon Network is being seldomly used these days and so shows that had been aired on other channels are not really being used anymore. It almost makes me think the increase in fuel prices are forcing CN to do this to make more money with younger viewers to stay in buisness.

Matt_Purosky

[10]Sep 23, 2008

Actually, they recently imported Skunk Fu! and Johnny Test from Kids' WB!, but I noticed you're right. I mean, they used to air reruns of shows from Saturday morning blocks like Kids' WB! and 4Kids TV, and I think they only really finished Static Shock, Ozzy & Drix, and What's New Scooby-Doo? I know they recently started airing PokémonX- season 6 but they never aired season 4 as far as I know. But I remember they used to have X-Men: Evolution, Jackie Chan Adventures, Yu-Gi-Oh!, The Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003, Winx Club, and The Cramp Twins (I think Cramp Twins is a Cartoon Network UK production anyway) but they all got taken off prematurely and X-Men Evolution didn't even finish season 3, and Yu-Gi-Oh! never finished season 4 (can't believe they started GX like that, though 4Kids did dub GX season 1 while season 5 of the original YGO was still airing). Although, I don't fully blame them for Jackie Chan Adventures because that's on Jetix on Toon Disney now (uhhh.... what does Jackie Chan Adventures have to do with Disney? xDDD) and they do constantly resurrect What's New Scooby-Doo? (isn't it on Boomerang though? I know The Batman is)

I don't really care for Johnny Test, but it is kinda nice to see it there. Although, with all the shows I just mentioned, they all seemed to have their spur-of-the-moment time with CN and then just vanished unexpectedly (except The Batman, I don't think that really ever did much for CN though they keep advertising and promoting it as part of their lineup).

But even with anime, all they've got now is Bakugan and Pokémon, until Naruto finds a home on CN

lighting_blond

[13]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 24

The uncuts are great.

StarCannon30

[14]Sep 26, 2008
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    they only have the remaining couple of eps set to air so hopefully thats a good sign naruto is moving to adult swim. now if only viz could get the rights for one piece and move it there too. it'd be anime heaven.

Why would you want Viz to get One Piece?

Matt_Purosky

[15]Sep 26, 2008

shadowysea07 wrote:
    i just found out about toonami yesterday. so even naruto isn't airing? wow I'm shocked. although it'd be best to move it to adult swim before shippuuden begins anyway. Its not like they can show shippuuden on toonami it'd be too edited.

The next episode of Naruto, episode 200 "A Powerful Helper" will air at 9:30 PM (I think) after Batman: Gotham Night, but no further episodes are scheduled.

Adv193

[16]Sep 28, 2008
    In other news One Piece and Funimations other show Dragon Ball Z have been officially removed from Toonami Jetstream, making uncut DVDs the only option for One Piece at the moment though since those two are Funimation-licensed anime I am not too surprised.

Matt_Purosky

[18]Sep 29, 2008

Adv193 wrote:
    In other news One Piece and Funimations other show Dragon Ball Z have been officially removed from Toonami Jetstream, making uncut DVDs the only option for One Piece at the moment though since those two are Funimation-licensed anime I am not too surprised.

I know that, and so have Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Dragon Ball. I know Toonami Jetstream is a VIZ/CN joint venture but Kiba is an ADV licensed anime and it's still there. I think all the other titles there are VIZ-licensed or CN-created, except Pokémon but VIZ still owns the distribution rights to that. But also, I noticed something, One Piece, Bobobo, DB, and DBZ are all Toei Animation titles. Though Zatch Bell! is too, but that's still there (though they're actually showing new to the US episodes of that). Maybe Toei had something to do with it?

shadowysea07 wrote:
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    they only have the remaining couple of eps set to air so hopefully thats a good sign naruto is moving to adult swim. now if only viz could get the rights for one piece and move it there too. it'd be anime heaven.
    I think they could do a better job than what were currently getting which is nothing. they do a good job with bleach.

I actually wanted VIZ to get it from the day 4Kids dropped it...but when FUNi got it I was just glad that it was going to be licensed at all before 2009... now I'm wishing they got it again...

Edited on 09/29/2008 2:53am

StarCannon30

[19]Sep 29, 2008
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    shadowysea07 wrote:

I think they could do a better job than what were currently getting which is nothing. they do a good job with bleach.

Not their fault CN removed One Piece from Toonami. They are a much better dubbing company than Viz.

Adv193

[20]Sep 29, 2008
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

Adv193 wrote:

I know that, and so have Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Dragon Ball. I know Toonami Jetstream is a VIZ/CN joint venture but Kiba is an ADV licensed anime and it's still there. I think all the other titles there are VIZ-licensed or CN-created, except Pokémon but VIZ still owns the distribution rights to that. But also, I noticed something, One Piece, Bobobo, DB, and DBZ are all Toei Animation titles. Though Zatch Bell! is too, but that's still there (though they're actually showing new to the US episodes of that). Maybe Toei had something to do with it?

shadowysea07 wrote:
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    shadowysea07 wrote:

I actually wanted VIZ to get it from the day 4Kids dropped it...but when FUNi got it I was just glad that it was going to be licensed at all before 2009... now I'm wishing they got it again...

I did mention Dragon Ball though I guess I was half right in stating the connection by licensor though I had no idea it only included any show not within CN/Viz. Compared with CN's recent actions it stinks because with the exception of Adult Swim and Naruto, CN is turning into more a channel for Kids rather than Kids and Teens.