One Step Beyond

Tonight at 12:17

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Dec 06, 1960 on ABC

• Foot on the floor?

The doctor is a nicely crochety character. Oh yeah, and we also get a sly reference to TV mores of the time with Laura wondering why her husband didn't get them a double bed at the motel (he also lays on hers with her briefly--I wonder if he had a foot on the floor the whole time). Unfortunately Blake's assistant plays the scene like Tim Conway, and Lyons kind of flubs his way through a few of his lines. And of course the special effects--when they finally show up--are about as cut-rate as they can get. Interestingly, John Newland gives an actual address from North Hollywood at the end of the episode as being Laura's residence (it's even there on Google Maps). And the "moral" of the story which he offers up has a nice touch of verisimilitude to it: you can't change fate, not even when you try. I actually remember this episode from way back when (I must've seen it in reruns during the 1960s)--only I recalled it as a passenger jet making the crash, and for some reason I thought the locale was Denver (speaking of the strange twists and turns of the human mind).