One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

9x07 "Last Known Surroundings" Episode Discussion

Grade the ep

Justlikeheaven_

[21]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 33
    So what does everyone think that symbol that Dan spotted means? I was curious. Maybe like a gang.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Adokensan

[22]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 10

OK, sort of disappointed by this episode. The big comeback of Lucas was just them sitting in the airport moping around. An honestly, I knew at the beginning of this episode that the policeman was going to be a bad guy. His behavior while visiting Haley was just off, probably just a bad actor? I don't know... The Brooke-storyline was also okay, but I think it will get better in the next episode. It was sort of nice to see Lucas back, but I also felt like he was without his good, old personality... I don't know, it's hard to explain. But the writing is still good, even though I want some more humour back in the show. (But NOT as much "humour" as we got from Quinn in season 8...)

LeytonTLA

[23]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 16

Havent had a chance to read any yet so sorry if i repeat!!

First of all ... ARE YOU KIDDING, thats all lucascould come back for! 'You dont call you dont write' 'Jamie youve got so big i thought youd have a mustache by now' Im sorry but are you kidding they couldnt of replaced those lines with 'im sorry to drag you out here again so soon after you left but thanks so much' blah blah!! I loved seeing him dont get me wrong, i thought the scenes were amazing, his hair was stupid! I cried when they saw each other when they said goodbye (im a wimp i know) and oh my bless jamie when he hugged lucas!! And come on quinn! Why couldnt skills or mouth or brooke go!!!

Chuck/Chase/Chris - Chris funny as usual, bless chuck i felt so bad for him this episode, did chase actually believe that about the bike ... think he did at first but it did look like he changed his mind, guess now we know why he ends up in the back of a cop car, i wonder if they will kick him out of air force for that .. dishonourable discharge ...

Brooke/Xavier - I liked seeing this, i think its kind of a pointless story, feels like they dont have enough to do for brooke so they'll bring him back? I dont think brookes time should be wasted with this, especially in the last season, she has so much potential with her and the kids and baker man i would love to see more of thatnot another psycho storyline

Dan/Julian - AWESOME these two are great together, shame they didnt have scenes before! I liked how he started saying 'secret to a good burger' then stopped it reminded me so much of season 1/2 dan with the way he always knew best about something, but now hes realised he doesnt so he doesnt say it, and that prison line haha love Paul/Dan so much

Clay - I enjoy his SL his scenes are great, i liked how he was kind of doing a voice over and i love hearing about his life before, i hope we get some flash back scenes

And now for Nathan ... hmm hmm hmm , i knew that cop was dodgy from the beginning! I text my sister as soon as he said is there anything you havent told the police i was like yep hes so dodgy!! I was kind of annoyed that he didnt get further in his escape. I was kind of annoyed about the whole thing to be fair, im one of those people that is like if your gonna drag this out for so long you best kill him otherwise it was pointless, however i love nathan and hope he doesnt die so get him home soon!!

The music was amazing this episode, i will be downloading every song, the music was just great the whole season of music has been great, i liked the flash backs i thought they were good only thing that bugged me was them showing that nathan video like a million times! All in all i thought it was great!!

LeytonTLA

[24]Feb 23, 2012
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    ^^ Wow Stellar, I basically agree with every single thing you said, so I won't bother quoting it all, haha. And I love your own Haley/Lucas scene! I think that would have been really great to see in the episode.

I thought this episode was really intense, I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm a little disappointed Chris only had one scene in the episode, I would much rather see Chase/Chris scenes than Chase/Chuck scenes, but oh well. The first scene with Chase/Chris was quite funny, especially when Chase says he's in the airforce and Chris says "Why?" ahaha.

I'm sorta glad they brought back Xavier in SOME ways... because I liked that storyline in season 6 and I think it's good to mention it again to show it still affects Brooke... BUT WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE PSYCHOS IN THE FINAL SEASON. Like you said, Stellar, I would actually rather they brought back Ian/Derek (I know Peyton's not on the show anymore... but still). Psycho Derek was definitely my favourite psycho on the show, so if they HAD to bring one back, I would rather it have been him.

By the way, are Brooke's parents coming back at all this season??

Clay/therapist doctor scenes were pretty good. I like how they're mentioning Sara again this season, and I liked that Clay talked about his life before season 7 began.

Okay so onto Lucas/Haley - Although I was of course super excited to see Lucas again, and even caught myself smiling when he entered the screen for the first time in the episode (and OMG the hair), I was overall pretty disappointed with Lucas's return... I wish he had had scenes outside of the airport. And why wouldn't Haley want Lucas to come back to Tree Hill?! Surely finding Nathan would be waaay easier with Lucas to help her?!
    But I am still very happy we got some final Laley scenes, even if we didn't get any Lucas&Dan/Lucas&Nathan/Brucas ones. And I liked Haley's short phone call to Sawyer.
    By the way, did Lucas mention why Sawyer and Peyton weren't there? When Quinn asked him how they were doing, and after he said they were fine, he said something else but I couldn't quite make out what he said.

To be honest, I would have preferred Lucas to come back AFTER Nathan is rescued (or he could even help rescue him), so that we can have one final Lucas/Dan/Nathan scene.That would have been great. But oh well, at least we still got to see him.

P.S. Jamie has a cellphone, an iPod, a laptop and another computer at home?!?! Spoilt kid.

Okay now onto Nathan - WTF so the drug dealer IS involved?! I'm so confused. When I first saw him in the episode, I was like "Hmm, I recognize that guy from somewhere..." and then it hit me that it was Clay's drug dealer.... was he in the last episode too and I just missed it? I can't remember. And WTF that cop?! Is everyone involved in this?! Next thing we know, they'll bring Xavier into it as well. I was a little disappointed that cop was involved too though, he seemed geniunely nice to Haley, though I suppose maybe a bit "too" nice.

Well... I'm excited for the next episode! I'm definitely way more excited for the new episodes each week this season, than I ever was for season 7 or 8. It's great.

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE DRUG DEALER!! WHEN I SAW HIM I WAS LIKE ITS THE DRUG DEALER!!! MY SISTER HAD NO CLUE SHE TOTALLY MISSED IT!

NellN

[25]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 1
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    So what does everyone think that symbol that Dan spotted means? I was curious. Maybe like a gang.

The double headed eagle was originally a Byzantine symbol, however later the Russia tsars followed by many european monarchies have started to use it (incorporating different objects and emblems in it). It usually depicts the Yestarday and Today or east and West.

In today's world it's mostly seen in Russia and (eastern) Germany, where it is used by various gangs and movements. I'd assume it could've been some neo-natzi gang, however, Nathans kidnappers' accent clearly is Russian, so he must be somewhere in Russia or some post-soviet country, like Belarus.

stellarchick86

[26]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 32
    LeytonTLA wrote:
    Brooke/Xavier - I think its kind of a pointless story, feels like they dont have enough to do for brooke so they'll bring him back? I dont think brookes time should be wasted with this, especially in the last season, she has so much potential with her and the kids and baker man i would love to see more of thatnot another psycho storyline

Could NOT agree more!!! I waited 9 years for her to be a mom and now Im going to be gipped so that Mark can get his psycho stalk fix this season too. Grr.
    JaiCSC wrote:
    1: Why was the scene when Lucas arrived done in a manner as if Lucas had just met Quinn for the first time? Haley and Lucas are childhood best friends.

I thought that too at first, but then Haley said "you remember my sister, Quinn right?" so I take it that the original awkwardness was just the situation, the actors never having met, and maybe because Quinn is so much older than Haley (at least 5 years if not more so), she didnt know Lucas TOO well. Not like Taylor who was only 2-3. They said that Lucas/Haley met when she was 9, so Quinn was already 14 at the time, if not older.
    JaiCSC wrote:
    Why continue to draw attention to the lack of Lucas' presence over the past few years. I'll forgive the cheap excuse for not being at the wedding.

Completely agree. I would much rather just believe that they speak to each other offscreen than that Lucas wasnt communicating at all. Im still pretending it to be that way. Haley looked pretty comfortable talking to Sawyer for someone who had never met her when she was a kid before.
    JaiCSC wrote:
    4: Julian is working with Dan to help find Nathan. There's a some hypocrisy there if ask me

I guess I missed something...why is it hypocritical? Because hes a murderer so they dont want him around but then when they want his help, they will be around him? I think they just have no idea what to do with Julian this year. I dont think they know what to do with any of them but Nathan, Dan, Chris/CK/Chuck and Clay really. Everyone else is off on the sidelines.

Justlikeheaven_

[27]Feb 23, 2012
    NellN wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:

The double headed eagle was originally a Byzantine symbol, however later the Russia tsars followed by many european monarchies have started to use it (incorporating different objects and emblems in it). It usually depicts the Yestarday and Today or east and West.

In today's world it's mostly seen in Russia and (eastern) Germany, where it is used by various gangs and movements. I'd assume it could've been some neo-natzi gang, however, Nathans kidnappers' accent clearly is Russian, so he must be somewhere in Russia or some post-soviet country, like Belarus.

Yeah, i kinda figured it was some sort of gang. Dan seemed very concerned when he saw that symbol. But atleast they are getting some sort of lead to finding him.

Justlikeheaven_

[28]Feb 23, 2012
    found this clip for next weeks episode 9x08 thought i would share. Even though this is the thread for 9x07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiWRF0g0gpg

bronbrons27

[29]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 14
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    I'm sorta glad they brought back Xavier in SOME ways... because I liked that storyline in season 6 and I think it's good to mention it again to show it still affects Brooke... BUT WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE PSYCHOS IN THE FINAL SEASON. Like you said, Stellar, I would actually rather they brought back Ian/Derek (I know Peyton's not on the show anymore... but still). Psycho Derek was definitely my favourite psycho on the show, so if they HAD to bring one back, I would rather it have been him.

Ive just always been curious about Ian because I think he didnt really mean to do it, he just did it in moments of stress/emotional damage. Im not excusing what he did by any means, but it wasnt like he was mentally "off" like Katie (and Id say Carrie too) or just plain evil like Xavier. I guess its because when Peyton said goodbye to him, he was sitting there crying in his jail cell where as the others never seemed to feel remorse at all. So I always wondered if once Ian was let out, if he just tried to live a normal day, day by day, or if he went right back to almost murdering people. Plus he was also young too where as the other ones were at least in their 20s so they already had some semblance of a life beforehand where as Ian didnt. You know what I mean?
    Yeah I know what you mean. I actually felt kinda bad for Ian towards the end of his storyline, when he was in the jail cell. I would have liked to find out if he ever got out of jail and was able to lead a normal life again. Although I'm not too fond of psycho storylines, his one was actually pretty good. Plus. it's waaaay better (in my opinion anyway) to have a "psycho" who is stalking a girl that looks like his ex-girlfriend, than to have a "psycho" who looks like the ex-girlfriend/wife of the person she is stalking lol (I.e. Katie) Hahaha that would be like if Peyton had stalked Ian instead.... weird.

stellarchick86 wrote:
    I wondered the exact same thing. Someone at IMDB said something like "wouldnt Lucas want to stick his nose in it and try to help find Nathan??" I wonder if they are doing this because they want Dan to take sole credit for this? I was expecting Lucas to stay over at Haleys in their guestroom and then Dan figures out where Nathan is and comes over to tell Haley. Lucas answers the door and Lucas doesnt want to hear it. Before Dan closes the door, Dan tells him whats going on. Lucas hesitates but then decides to go with Dan but Dan tells him that it could be dangerous. Lucas decides that if theres any chance, he has to do it. Then they go, Dan dies in front of both of his sons, L/N reunite and bla bla. Lucas comes home all bloody and Haleys like WTF happened? Then Nathan walks through the door, Haley/Jamie/Nathan rejoice. They have a few scenes together with Lucas, Lucas leaves at the end of the ep. I think this wouldve been way more epic.
    Wow, I completely agree. That would have been SO much better. I don't even understand why they brought back Lucas now... I mean are Jamie and Lydia just going to come back off screen and Lucas isn't even going to come to their house to say hi to Nathan? That's ridiculous. He should have come back to help Dan and Haley find Nathan. I don't know why Mark didn't ever think of that. Sure, the Julian and Dan scenes have been really great so far, but I would still rather see Lucas/Dan.
    And I agree with that person on IMDB as well... it's almost out of character for Lucas not to be stubborn and tell Haley that he is definitely coming back to Tree Hill for a while to search for Nathan. Lucas always used to stick his nose in other people's business lol, I remember in one of the earlier seasons Nathan saying to him "You always meddle, Luke, it's what you do". (OH I think it was in season 5, when Lucas and Lindsay both arranged to have their bachelor/bachelorette parties on the same day at Nathan and Haley's house, in order to try and reunite them after the whole Carrie thing). So yeah I'm not sure as to why Luke wouldn't want to meddle into this as well....

stellarchick86 wrote:
    LeytonTLA wrote:
    Brooke/Xavier - I think its kind of a pointless story, feels like they dont have enough to do for brooke so they'll bring him back? I dont think brookes time should be wasted with this, especially in the last season, she has so much potential with her and the kids and baker man i would love to see more of thatnot another psycho storyline

Could NOT agree more!!! I waited 9 years for her to be a mom and now Im going to be gipped so that Mark can get his psycho stalk fix this season too. Grr.
    I completely agree as well! I would rather see Brooke with her kids, and with Julian and working with her parents than fighting Xavier again....

stellarchick86 wrote:
    I thought that too at first, but then Haley said "you remember my sister, Quinn right?" so I take it that the original awkwardness was just the situation, the actors never having met, and maybe because Quinn is so much older than Haley (at least 5 years if not more so), she didnt know Lucas TOO well. Not like Taylor who was only 2-3. They said that Lucas/Haley met when she was 9, so Quinn was already 14 at the time, if not older.
    I actually don't think Quinn is that much older than Haley. I think she's in the middle of Haley and Taylor (2 years older than Haley, one year younger than Taylor). I read an article online recently about Shantel talking about Chad's return, and she mentions that Quinn was only supposed to be two years ahead of Haley in high school, so she would have definitely known Lucas etc. even though we never saw her on screen then.

stellarchick86

[30]Feb 23, 2012
    I pretty much completely agree with what you said but I have something to say on the Quinn thing. I always got the impression that Taylor was the middle sister, but because she was the 'troublemaker', it was easier for Quinn and Haley to be closer because they were more alike. Haley was 16-17 in s2 when Taylor came, and I got the impression that she was a fresh or soph in college so she wouldve been 18-20 ish. Quinn I always got the impression would be 22-24 at the time of this, so shed be pratically 30 now. It also seemed like she was supposed to be the older, wiser sister in s7 with all of the Lydia stuff going on, too. I wonder if they changed it along the way because they realized that with Shantel being so young and Quinn acting young that she should be younger? IDK, but I always got the impression that it was this way. *shrugs*
    Edited on 02/23/2012 11:17pm

LeytonTLA

[31]Feb 24, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I wondered the exact same thing. Someone at IMDB said something like "wouldnt Lucas want to stick his nose in it and try to help find Nathan??" I wonder if they are doing this because they want Dan to take sole credit for this? I was expecting Lucas to stay over at Haleys in their guestroom and then Dan figures out where Nathan is and comes over to tell Haley. Lucas answers the door and Lucas doesnt want to hear it. Before Dan closes the door, Dan tells him whats going on. Lucas hesitates but then decides to go with Dan but Dan tells him that it could be dangerous. Lucas decides that if theres any chance, he has to do it. Then they go, Dan dies in front of both of his sons, L/N reunite and bla bla. Lucas comes home all bloody and Haleys like WTF happened? Then Nathan walks through the door, Haley/Jamie/Nathan rejoice. They have a few scenes together with Lucas, Lucas leaves at the end of the ep. I think this wouldve been way more epic.

How did i miss this the first time i read ... yes i completely agree! Im guessing it had more to do with chad than anyone else, im hoping they have recorded a scene between l and n when he brings the kids back but ithnk this is just wishful thinking

Justlikeheaven_

[32]Feb 24, 2012

bronbrons27 wrote:
    And I agree with that person on IMDB as well... it's almost out of character for Lucas not to be stubborn and tell Haley that he is definitely coming back to Tree Hill for a while to search for Nathan. Lucas always used to stick his nose in other people's business lol, I remember in one of the earlier seasons Nathan saying to him "You always meddle, Luke, it's what you do". (OH I think it was in season 5, when Lucas and Lindsay both arranged to have their bachelor/bachelorette parties on the same day at Nathan and Haley's house, in order to try and reunite them after the whole Carrie thing). So yeah I'm not sure as to why Luke wouldn't want to meddle into this as well....

And even times before season 5. If you think back to even season 3, he was always in Nathan and Haleys business when the two were seperated. Sure, Lucas just wanted to look after Haley, but it is the same idea.

Edited on 02/24/2012 5:23am

Justlikeheaven_

[34]Feb 24, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I pretty much completely agree with what you said but I have something to say on the Quinn thing. I always got the impression that Taylor was the middle sister, but because she was the 'troublemaker', it was easier for Quinn and Haley to be closer because they were more alike. Haley was 16-17 in s2 when Taylor came, and I got the impression that she was a fresh or soph in college so she wouldve been 18-20 ish. Quinn I always got the impression would be 22-24 at the time of this, so shed be pratically 30 now. It also seemed like she was supposed to be the older, wiser sister in s7 with all of the Lydia stuff going on, too. I wonder if they changed it along the way because they realized that with Shantel being so young and Quinn acting young that she should be younger? IDK, but I always got the impression that it was this way. *shrugs*

I always thought of it that way too. But maybe Quinn is just a year older than Taylor. But I have always thought that Taylor was a senior in highschool when Haley was a freshman, and also because when Haley was a junior, Taylor worked at the Swinging Donkey bar. Its kinda confusing....trying to figure out the ages is probably just as difficult as the OTH timeline....lol.

stellarchick86

[35]Feb 24, 2012
    ^Ah yeah! I forgot about the freshman/senior thing. So Haley would been 14-15 and Taylor wouldve been 17-18. It wouldnt be too weird if Quinn was like 18-20 at that time, would it? It would explain why she was never around because maybe her and David got married right out of HS and moved to Brooklyn then. Then the marriage lasted almost ten years befoer she finally decided that they changed during their 20s. IDK, as you said, trying to figure this show out can be impossible lol

Justlikeheaven_

[36]Feb 24, 2012

stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^Ah yeah! I forgot about the freshman/senior thing. So Haley would been 14-15 and Taylor wouldve been 17-18. It wouldnt be too weird if Quinn was like 18-20 at that time, would it? It would explain why she was never around because maybe her and David got married right out of HS and moved to Brooklyn then. Then the marriage lasted almost ten years befoer she finally decided that they changed during their 20s. IDK, as you said, trying to figure this show out can be impossible lol

Yeah. It is impossible. But sometimes i get curious. But we dont have enough info to know it all. Same goes for the OTH timeline itself. There are some OTH years that i wonder about.....like How long NH were dating before they got married, how long were they married before they seperated, and how long were they seperated before they got back together again. And other things that dont relate to Naley...lol ofcourse. I was just giving an example. But things like that, you can figure out portions of it, but not the whole entire thing. Like for example...we know alreadyhow long Haleys tour was....

Edited on 02/24/2012 7:21pm

that70sshow2000

[37]Feb 24, 2012
    • level: 15
    Haven't seen the ep but from the comments sounds like the CMM return was beyond badly written.

I appreciate CHAD coming back though; too bad Chad can't help what SL (wait storyline? Hardly. More like just dialogue) Mark gives him.

So what was the point of LUCAS flying out just to literally talk to Haley in the airport? He flew out just to bring Jamie and Lydia back w him? Again havent seen it so just going by comments, but this is COMPLETELY OOC for Lucas. His freaking brother is gone missing and he doesn't stay to minimally be there for his best friend? Sorry but LUCAS would've never left like that until he knew Nathan was safe. Lucas was always the character who wanted to help his friends and family, to the point of sticking his nose in places that others didn't want him to. Lucas has always been the hero character who wanted to always save the day so to speak. Just so completely OOC of the character I can't even say this was the same Lucas we all knew in s1-6.

stellarchick86

[38]Feb 24, 2012
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    Haven't seen the ep but from the comments sounds like the CMM return was beyond badly written.

I appreciate CHAD coming back though; too bad Chad can't help what SL (wait storyline? Hardly. More like just dialogue) Mark gives him.

So what was the point of LUCAS flying out just to literally talk to Haley in the airport? He flew out just to bring Jamie and Lydia back w him? Again havent seen it so just going by comments, but this is COMPLETELY OOC for Lucas. His freaking brother is gone missing and he doesn't stay to minimally be there for his best friend? Sorry but LUCAS would've never left like that until he knew Nathan was safe. Lucas was always the character who wanted to help his friends and family, to the point of sticking his nose in places that others didn't want him to. Lucas has always been the hero character who wanted to always save the day so to speak. Just so completely OOC of the character I can't even say this was the same Lucas we all knew in s1-6.

Yep. Completely agree. If they were going to have Chad come back for just 1 episode anyway, why not it be the episode where Lucas, Julian, Haley and Dan try to go find him? Then that lets Laley have some time as well as Dan/Lucas and Lucas/Nathan. Im sure Quinn could be happy to watch Lydia and Jamie, she doesnt have much else going on with Clay in the institution. The whole thing just makes no sense. Did Chad only want to work with Joy or something??

Justlikeheaven_

[39]Feb 25, 2012

that70sshow2000 wrote:
    Completely agree! I found it so odd that he would just fly out to talk to Haley and then leave soon after. I was real disappointed in his return, because i wouldnt necessarily call it a "return". I would call it more a passing by. Because he flew into Tree Hill just talk to Haley for a short time, and take Jamie and Lydia, which wasn't a pre-planned in the first place.

And yeah, i agree. Lucas has always been the one to protect and look after his friends and family. We see it multiple times throughout his time in tree hill. I mean, yeah, in this episode when he came back, Lucas did suggest him coming back to Tree Hill to help out with finding Nathan but Haley said no. That she needed him to just take Jamie and Lydia away from it all. But still.

Edited on 02/25/2012 5:22am

TreeHill_89

[40]Feb 27, 2012
    oh! from reading your reviews it doesn't seem as though Lucas's return was anything special! which is a shame, as part of me thinks he came back just so fans would be happy that he would be in the final season but Mark should of made his return more stronger and more exicting as we have been waiting all these years lol