One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

9x08 "A Rush of Blood to the Head" Episode Discussion

Grade the ep

LeytonTLA

[81]Mar 8, 2012
    • level: 16
    i just watched that comparison video and ive only ever watched the episode with reagon in it before but wow they are SO different, i never even caught on before that they changed her name to haley ... i wonder why they did that, reagan, haley, raegan, haley ... but yeah wow she looked so bored, joy and chad just seemed like they had known each other forever, you could tell they had been best friends for a long time as what was meant to be believed
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[82]Mar 8, 2012
    • level: 32
    LeytonTLA wrote:
    but yeah wow she looked so bored

Agreed, she looked bored.
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    When Reagan is talking about the sticky pages, it doesnt even seem like she is trying. It just feels like "oh, yeah im trying to be sarcastic but, look the pages are sticky, like i care"

Completely agree. It was like she just did not believe it herself. If you dont believe it, how do you expect me to believe it?

Justlikeheaven_

[83]Mar 8, 2012
    • level: 33
    LeytonTLA wrote:

Thats pretty much what i meant, that nathan was always gonna pursue lucas' best friend for the story but they most liklely wouldnt have kept them together the way they did with naley because the chemistry might not have been right,

Yeah. Completely agree. They probably still would have had Nathan persuing the best friend whether it was Regan or Haley being the Lucas best friend character. BUT in my opinion, i don't think it would have gone any further. They probably would have just had Nathan getting her to tutor him and everything to get on Lucas' nerves, but they wouldn't have had Nathan and Reagan become lovers. Part of the reason Nathan/Haley worked so well is because James and Joy have great chemistry together as actors.

stellarchick86

[84]Mar 8, 2012
    Yeah. I dont see Samantha being able to portray that "innocence" that Haley is suppoed to have as well as Joy can. I think thats part of what makes Naley so special, because Haley was so naive and sweet and Nathan was the player/bad boy. Yet I didnt really get that vibe from Samantha to make that work enough. I can see her being a friend to Lucas maybe in the same way that Jimmy, Junk or Fergie are friends, just a female version of it, but I dont see her being able to be have such a big role for Nathan (or Lucas), like being an exact replica of Haley but with a different name, like Joy. Just my .02.

Justlikeheaven_

[85]Mar 9, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Yeah. I dont see Samantha being able to portray that "innocence" that Haley is suppoed to have as well as Joy can. I think thats part of what makes Naley so special, because Haley was so naive and sweet and Nathan was the player/bad boy. Yet I didnt really get that vibe from Samantha to make that work enough. I can see her being a friend to Lucas maybe in the same way that Jimmy, Junk or Fergie are friends, just a female version of it, but I dont see her being able to be have such a big role for Nathan (or Lucas), like being an exact replica of Haley but with a different name, like Joy. Just my .02.

Agree completely. Samantha, aka Reagan lol, seems to have a tougher exterior. But she does seem like she is almost like a female version of Lucas because of the brooding lol. but then we have Lucas and Haley, who are completely different as characters. Lucas is very brooding, reserved, and i wouldnt consider him to have been very outgoing. Whereas, Haley is very bubbly, sarcastic, and outgoing.

that70sshow2000

[86]Mar 9, 2012
    • level: 15
    I think maybe Mark saw what we are seeing in Reagon and decided to make his beat friend more opposite friend, outgoing bubbly etc. I mean why else would they change the character name and personality for a different actor. Like joy was most going to be Brooke, but when they gave it to Sophia they didn't change "Brooks" bc they wanted that same character no matter what.

And if Reagon is supposed to have the same personality, then Sam is a HORRIBLE actress.

About her seeming bored, that's always hard to say bc, well, they're acting so who knows what the actor is like when they are bored. I more see it as Samantha not having a very wide variety/range of emotions as an actress. Like I said before, her line deliveries suck, it's like shes reading it almost. Maybe that's bc she's bored or maybe she's just not a very good actress. But these being a very first scenes she filmed in a part that she tried out for I doubt she's bored already.

And I just wanted to say if joy and Sophia had reverse roles it might be weeks to see now but they're the two best actos of the young cast and they would've pulled it off. And we'd be here saying damn imagine if JOY was HALEY?! "OMG I CANT IMAGINE JOY AND JAMES KISSING AND BEING TOGETHER!" Lol.

Speaking of being bored, James was obviously bored on s8 and 9

Justlikeheaven_

[87]Mar 9, 2012
    that70sshow2000 wrote:

And if Reagon is supposed to have the same personality, then Sam is a HORRIBLE actress.

About her seeming bored, that's always hard to say bc, well, they're acting so who knows what the actor is like when they are bored. I more see it as Samantha not having a very wide variety/range of emotions as an actress. Like I said before, her line deliveries suck, it's like shes reading it almost. Maybe that's bc she's bored or maybe she's just not a very good actress. But these being a very first scenes she filmed in a part that she tried out for I doubt she's bored already.

I guess it is hard to tell because we are comparing her to Joy who is a great actress. And we know that Joy has always done very well with changing up the way she presents herself as Haley. And that she does awesome with emotional stuff so we know that she has a wide range of experience when it comes to that. But i definitely agree about Reagan. She just seems like she is reading it all and nothing is coming NATURALLY. When Reagan/Samantha is talking its very monotone and robotic almost...lol. I know it is just acting, but they have to make it seem real.

quintex96

[88]Mar 9, 2012
    • level: 9
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    quintex96 wrote:

Mouth and Lauren didn't work at all, they weren't ho and fiery, just frigid and incredibly akward, thank god that storyline didn't last very long. I also don't see how MM are "sterotypical" at all, they don't look anything like the couples you usually see in sitcoms, for one thing in those showsit's usually a fat, bald guy who loves sports and beermarried to a gorgeous thin girl who was always popular in high school.

Lol I didn't say anything about looks. I said sitcom stereotypical being the heat and passion being dead. Looks are moot, as I said I referring to chemistry.

And they looked awkward sometimes bc they knew SL were still together, and Lauren kissed him on a whim unexpectedly. But they def had better chemistry than MM. MM really have no sparks.
    Well I still don't see how they resemble a sitcom pairing in any way, I don't know where the "heat and passion being dead" thing is coming from, they look fine to me.

that70sshow2000

[89]Mar 9, 2012
    quintex96 wrote:
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    quintex96 wrote:

Mouth and Lauren didn't work at all, they weren't ho and fiery, just frigid and incredibly akward, thank god that storyline didn't last very long. I also don't see how MM are "sterotypical" at all, they don't look anything like the couples you usually see in sitcoms, for one thing in those showsit's usually a fat, bald guy who loves sports and beermarried to a gorgeous thin girl who was always popular in high school.

Lol I didn't say anything about looks. I said sitcom stereotypical being the heat and passion being dead. Looks are moot, as I said I referring to chemistry.

And they looked awkward sometimes bc they knew SL were still together, and Lauren kissed him on a whim unexpectedly. But they def had better chemistry than MM. MM really have no sparks.
    Well I still don't see how they resemble a sitcom pairing in any way, I don't know where the "heat and passion being dead" thing is coming from, they look fine to me.

You're thinking way too much of my sitcom analogy. I just meant there's really no sparks to MM, and a typical sitcom couple is the first thing I thought of. But scratching the sitcom analogy, I just mean MM really have no sparks. It's actually not something I noticed before bc we haven't seen Mouth in a relationship that often, but thinking back to MShelly, MErica, and seeiv ML in s7 it apparent MM are are lacking in the heat/passion dept.

I see MM along the lines of MGigi, as they weren't the best example of a passionate, heated couple either.

It's all about actor chemistry too. But you said it yourself and I agree. MM do look .... fine. That's all.

stellarchick86

[90]Mar 9, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I guess it is hard to tell because we are comparing her to Joy who is a great actress. And we know that Joy has always done very well with changing up the way she presents herself as Haley. And that she does awesome with emotional stuff so we know that she has a wide range of experience when it comes to that. But i definitely agree about Reagan. She just seems like she is reading it all and nothing is coming NATURALLY. When Reagan/Samantha is talking its very monotone and robotic almost...lol. I know it is just acting, but they have to make it seem real.

Completely agree.

On another note, I can not imagine Sophia as Haley and Joy as Brooke. They are the 2 best actors on the show so its nothing against them, its just that I just cant picture it. I cant really picture Hilarie as either of them either. When it came to James and Chad, during that episode in s2 where they switched lives, I wasnt that impressed either. Well, mainly with Chad. I think James can pull off the sweet boy if need be but I like him more as the bad boy. Chad I just cant believe as the bad boy enough, I just wanted to laugh every time he threatened Nathan LOL I even feel the same way about Paul and Craig switching places or Moira and Barbara. So all in all, Im glad that each actor stuck to the role that they did. Im sure someone here will diagree and thats fine, thats just how I feel. The only person who I think may have been miscast is Quinn/Shantel.

Edited on 03/09/2012 5:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Justlikeheaven_

[91]Mar 9, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:

Completely agree.

On another note, I can not imagine Sophia as Haley and Joy as Brooke. They are the 2 best actors on the show so its nothing against them, its just that I just cant picture it. I cant really picture Hilarie as either of them either. When it came to James and Chad, during that episode in s2 where they switched lives, I wasnt that impressed either. Well, mainly with Chad. I think James can pull off the sweet boy if need be but I like him more as the bad boy. Chad I just cant believe as the bad boy enough, I just wanted to laugh every time he threatened Nathan LOL I even feel the same way about Paul and Craig switching places or Moira and Barbara. So all in all, Im glad that each actor stuck to the role that they did. Im sure someone here will diagree and thats fine, thats just how I feel. The only person who I think may have been miscast is Quinn/Shantel.

I can't picture Sophia as Haley and Joy as Brooke and so on and so on either. BUT i think part of the reason that IS is because we already know the actors as those particular characters. It's almost the same way in real life where you can't just out of nowhere start calling someone by a different name because you already know them as who they are. And as for the James and Chad thing, well, we have obviously seen both badboy Nathan and sweet Nathan and they both work. But with Chad, it doesn't. When we saw a glimpse of bad boy Lucas in Nathan's dream, it just didn't seem right. But as you said, the actors fit their characters VERY well and I am glad that is who they were.

stellarchick86

[92]Mar 9, 2012
    I just see Sophia doing the seductress/popular/combative girl easier than the nerdy/loner/sweet girl type, like Haley, and vice versa. To me it would be like if Lee and James switched places. Its not a dig against the actors, its just those are the type of characters who I picture those actors to play. Even when I say 'Stay Alive' and Sophia had to play the gothic/loner chick it seemed very off, even though I think Sophia is an awesome actress.

Justlikeheaven_

[93]Mar 10, 2012

stellarchick86 wrote:
    I just see Sophia doing the seductress/popular/combative girl easier than the nerdy/loner/sweet girl type, like Haley, and vice versa. To me it would be like if Lee and James switched places. Its not a dig against the actors, its just those are the type of characters who I picture those actors to play. Even when I say 'Stay Alive' and Sophia had to play the gothic/loner chick it seemed very off, even though I think Sophia is an awesome actress.
    Yeah, thats understandable and i totally agree! I can't really have pictured Joy playing Brooke. And the other way around.Especially season 1 Brooke. As seasons went on, Brooke became a bit more like Haley, or well...Haley became more like Brooke. Not saying that they are the same character though, because they're not, but you know what I'm saying.But in season 1 the two of them were like complete and total opposites of each other. And my opinion, i think that each actor and actress enjoys playing a certain type of character because Torrey Devitto, AKA carrie, played a psycho on OTH and now she is on Vampire Diaries, and she is playing a psycho on there too. LOL!

Edited on 03/10/2012 6:18am

that70sshow2000

[94]Mar 10, 2012
    LOL. well regardless both if you are speaking from a reality where you only know the actors in the characters that they DO play. If we saw James dribbling the basketball with Peyton stepping on her brakes, and Chad stealing the school bus with the team and girls for their party, then right now you'd be saying the same thing bc you would have only seen J as L and C as N. Even comparing the dream s2 episode is flawed bc even at that point you were accustomed to seeing the actors in another role then which they played in that ep so even then you're mind was already biased.

It's all about what you're used to seeing. Initially
    Knowing J as B and then trying to picture J as H would be WTF? much like NOW picturing J as B and S as H.

It's a simple fact. That's how the brain works, much why we have stereotypes so when we see something the brain can categorize into a stereotype we already know of.

stellarchick86

[95]Mar 10, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I can't really have pictured Joy playing Brooke. And the other way around.Especially season 1 Brooke..But in season 1 the two of them were like complete and total opposites of each other. And my opinion, i think that each actor and actress enjoys playing a certain type of character because Torrey Devitto, AKA carrie, played a psycho on OTH and now she is on Vampire Diaries, and she is playing a psycho on there too.

Exactly. Sadly, some actors get stereotyped to a certain role but hey if they do a good job at it then whats the harm LOL
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    LOL. well regardless both if you are speaking from a reality where you only know the actors in the characters that they DO play. If we saw James dribbling the basketball with Peyton stepping on her brakes, and Chad stealing the school bus with the team and girls for their party, then right now you'd be saying the same thing bc you would have only seen J as L and C as N. Even comparing the dream s2 episode is flawed bc even at that point you were accustomed to seeing the actors in another role then which they played in that ep so even then you're mind was already biased.

I already made a point about this, that Chad just didnt make a very convincing bad boy but that James was okay as the good guy. Doesnt have much to do with who I knew from where.

LeytonTLA

[96]Mar 11, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I can't really have pictured Joy playing Brooke. And the other way around.Especially season 1 Brooke..But in season 1 the two of them were like complete and total opposites of each other. And my opinion, i think that each actor and actress enjoys playing a certain type of character because Torrey Devitto, AKA carrie, played a psycho on OTH and now she is on Vampire Diaries, and she is playing a psycho on there too.

Exactly. Sadly, some actors get stereotyped to a certain role but hey if they do a good job at it then whats the harm LOL
    that70sshow2000 wrote:

I already made a point about this, that Chad just didnt make a very convincing bad boy but that James was okay as the good guy. Doesnt have much to do with who I knew from where.

I agree his bad boy act seemed a bit forced as an actor, like he was trying to emphasise his words to make them sound worse/badboy but to me it came out a bit forced

bronbrons27

[97]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 14
    LeytonTLA wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

I agree his bad boy act seemed a bit forced as an actor, like he was trying to emphasise his words to make them sound worse/badboy but to me it came out a bit forced
    Oh I actually thought Chad was fine at playing the bad boy. I mean, James was probably a bit better at it in season 1, but I still thought Chad was pretty convincing. He sorta played that kind of character in House of Wax (he wasn't like a full on bad boy, but he wasn't a completely "good/nice guy" either).

With James, I honestly think he could have played Nathan or Lucas. He was great in the alternate universe episode in season 2 (which I actually think is a very underrated episode, I would say it's probably in my top ten - fifteen favourite episodes ever). And he's also been pretty much a "good guy" since him and Haley got back together in season 3, or even earlier than that you could argue. But of course he was amazing in early season 1 as the bad boy as well.

stellarchick86

[98]Mar 11, 2012
    Yeah, James is great, which is ironic considering how he is stereotyped to be wooden while CMM has been getting all of the attention. I dont care for Chad when he tries to be very angry or cries. *shrugs* sorry

LeytonTLA

[99]Mar 12, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Yeah, James is great, which is ironic considering how he is stereotyped to be wooden while CMM has been getting all of the attention. I dont care for Chad when he tries to be very angry or cries. *shrugs* sorry

Really, wooden? I definitely disagree, but i also wouldnt say CMM is wooden, Haley i find is the character who pulls on my heart strings the most, when she cries i cry especially lucas' crash in s1 and she goes into the hospital and just sobs i cant help but cry when she does that

Justlikeheaven_

[100]Mar 12, 2012
    LeytonTLA wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Really, wooden? I definitely disagree, but i also wouldnt say CMM is wooden, Haley i find is the character who pulls on my heart strings the most, when she cries i cry especially lucas' crash in s1 and she goes into the hospital and just sobs i cant help but cry when she does that

I agree about Haley for sure. She makes it feel like it is Joy actually crying for real and not Joy acting out crying for Haley. I am always so impressed at how great she does the emotional scenes and in my opinion, she does the emotional scenes the best out of all of them. Chad, well....he is completely AWFUL when he cries. It almost feels like he is trying too hard to get fake tears out. lol. Like, i remember when Lucas had told Karen about his HCM......it just seemed too forced IMO.