One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

9x11 "Danny Boy" Episode Discussion

How was the ep?

that70sshow2000

[21]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 15
    Chad and Joy have much better chemistry. I know people say "but they seem like bro and sis" but that's just cuz it's how it was written. I wish Mark wrote them differently, romantically and then became a couple. Beginning of s1 they sort of had that vibe too. I hate how fast mark wrote Naley. They so many more paths they could've taken with a lot of things in the early years. It's too bad they wrote themselves into a corner with Naley so fast. The crazy Naley cat ladies will disagree though.

And I always thought Layton seemed awkward sort of, like the actors together romantically. Idk not like awkward, but their romantic chemistry isn't very that good.

For ex the first thing I think of is s4, when hilarie was playing Peyton as the sweet smitten gf, I always thought her portrayal was forced/awkward and not natural or geninine. Kinda like they were trying to make Peyton w Lucas too man like Brooke w Lucas and hil couldn't pull it off. Bc some of the ways Peyton acted in s4 w Lucas and stuff she said was Brooke esque when she was w Lucas.

Just saying, Leyton is way overrated.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

quintex96

[22]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 9
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    Chad and Joy have much better chemistry. I know people say "but they seem like bro and sis" but that's just cuz it's how it was written. I wish Mark wrote them differently, romantically and then became a couple. Beginning of s1 they sort of had that vibe too. I hate how fast mark wrote Naley. They so many more paths they could've taken with a lot of things in the early years. It's too bad they wrote themselves into a corner with Naley so fast. The crazy Naley cat ladies will disagree though.

And I always thought Layton seemed awkward sort of, like the actors together romantically. Idk not like awkward, but their romantic chemistry isn't very that good.

For ex the first thing I think of is s4, when hilarie was playing Peyton as the sweet smitten gf, I always thought her portrayal was forced/awkward and not natural or geninine. Kinda like they were trying to make Peyton w Lucas too man like Brooke w Lucas and hil couldn't pull it off. Bc some of the ways Peyton acted in s4 w Lucas and stuff she said was Brooke esque when she was w Lucas.

Agree 100% Nathan and Haley got married FAR too early in the series, another relationship I would've prefered to see is Breyton, Hilarie seemed to have far more chemistry with Sophia then she ever did with Chad.

that70sshow2000

[23]Mar 19, 2012
    LOL as in a romantic involved Breyton?!

stellarchick86

[24]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 32
    Breyton couldve been interesting LOL They did skinnydip in the lake together in the first ep of s2, they were always smacking each other's butts, and Brooke came in with a camera while Peyton showered (among other things Im probably missing) LOL Oh and they also looked pretty cosey waking up to each other in Peytons bed in late s1 or whenver that was LOL
    Edited on 03/19/2012 11:50pm

that70sshow2000

[25]Mar 20, 2012
    ^ damn I was gonna mention the last one but then I see u didn't forget

It's funny that on the DVD for s1 Sophia is talking about how they edited that scene and how the final cut makes it look like they were slapping all cozy together and look like lesbians.
    They filmed it away from each other in bed and then rolled over toward each other to talk, and that's where the final scene began.

They were also joking wondering if Breyton would ever turn lesbian lol. Best commentary ever are the s1 episodes.

that70sshow2000

[26]Mar 20, 2012
    The only other commentary I liked was the school shooting one. All the other just had sophIE and markIE flirting with each other.

And don't get me started on the ones for adult years namely s7 w rob, Stephen etc. Damn that isn't a commentay, it's an alternative to counting sheep.
    Haven't gotten the s8 DVD, now I'm curious if those commentaries r any better.

stellarchick86

[27]Mar 20, 2012
    Lol havent seen the adult year commentaries, but love the ones from s1. And yeah, I remember Sophia saying that which is what reminded me to add that in lol

bronbrons27

[28]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 14
    that70sshow2000 wrote:

I agree 100% as well. Of course I like Naley, I do, and I'm not bashing on them, in fact they're one of my three favourite couples on the show, BUT they got together/married waaaaay too early in the series. I mean, Haley MARRIED a guy that only about 3 months earlier was absolute ass who she hated for picking on her best friend. They got married in high school and are still together now, it's just kind of unrealistic. I don't even like Leyton, but I gotta say that their relationship overall was more realistic than Naley, in my opinion anyway.

I still would have loved to have seen something romantic happen with Lucas and Haley. And if Naley had never existed or just didn't end up together, I would much rather Lucas end up with Haley than Peyton. I think Lucas and Haley could have worked really well together as a couple.

And I also agree, Leyton is way overrated.

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Lol havent seen the adult year commentaries, but love the ones from s1. And yeah, I remember Sophia saying that which is what reminded me to add that in lol
    I also agree with what you guys have been saying about the commentaries. The ones from season 1 are definitely the best. The ones from season 6/7 really sucked. I haven't got s8 on DVD yet, but I'm really curious to see what the commentaries will be like.

Justlikeheaven_

[29]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 33
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    agree 100% as well. Of course I like Naley, I do, and I'm not bashing on them, in fact they're one of my three favourite couples on the show, BUT they got together/married waaaaay too early in the series. I mean, Haley MARRIED a guy that only about 3 months earlier was absolute ass who she hated for picking on her best friend. They got married in high school and are still together now, it's just kind of unrealistic. I don't even like Leyton, but I gotta say that their relationship overall was more realistic than Naley, in my opinion anyway.

How long were Nathan and Haley dating anyway, before they were married? I always get too discombobulated whenever i try to figure out anything as far as the OTH timeline goes. I was watching 1x02 the other day and there was a calendar in back of lucas in one of his scenes that was on October, so we know that, and at that time Haley hated Nathan, and then it was April at the time that everyone's time capsule was recorded (we saw that in season 3 when rachel released it) and at that time Haley was gone on tour. That's only a 6 month time frame. But anything in between i get confused on.

that70sshow2000

[30]Mar 20, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    agree 100% as well. Of course I like Naley, I do, and I'm not bashing on them, in fact they're one of my three favourite couples on the show, BUT they got together/married waaaaay too early in the series. I mean, Haley MARRIED a guy that only about 3 months earlier was absolute ass who she hated for picking on her best friend. They got married in high school and are still together now, it's just kind of unrealistic. I don't even like Leyton, but I gotta say that their relationship overall was more realistic than Naley, in my opinion anyway.

How long were Nathan and Haley dating anyway, before they were married? I always get too discombobulated whenever i try to figure out anything as far as the OTH timeline goes. I was watching 1x02 the other day and there was a calendar in back of lucas in one of his scenes that was on October, so we know that, and at that time Haley hated Nathan, and then it was April at the time that everyone's time capsule was recorded (we saw that in season 3 when rachel released it) and at that time Haley was gone on tour. That's only a 6 month time frame. But anything in between i get confused on.

Yeah, October in the beginning of the season seems right since the pilot seemed like the school year had already been in session. Thing is I think mark didn't know he was going to do the half school year per season thing when he was writing s1, or at least most of it. If he DID, then he executed it damn poorly.

Seems like he didn't decide on the half school year per season until the end of s1/s2 premiere based on how the s2 premiere was written. Thing is it's literally impossible to figure out the timeline for s1 and 2 since mark started the show with the one school year per season idea and then changed it for s2/very end of s1. And again if he always had the half school year thing in mind he wrote it damn poorly.

S3 and 4, bc the timeline is specifically established -- 3.01 is the end of summer, 3.03 first day of school, etc, 4.20 mid June and then 4.21 is in august. Even s5-9 we can accurately estimate since s5 starts off 4.5 years later and from there on we have a fairly ok idea of the timeline.

Only problem is s1 and s2, except the end of s2 is obviously late may/early June since we know it's the end of school year.

Going by the half year half season timeline though it's very flawed in s1, Naley dated for max 3-4 months til Jan/feb since s2 started in early spring so I guess we can say 4 months.

Which means they were married for maybe a month before Haley left lol. Can we comfortably say s2 really took place over maybe a little over 3 months? Comfortable or not that's what the timeline says.

bronbrons27

[31]Mar 20, 2012
    ^^ Yeah I agree, the season 1 and 2 timeline is definitely the most messed up.

I'd say season 1 definitely begins in October, and I think ends in January/February time (ignore the fact that the characters are wearing summer clothes in 2x01 even though it's supposed to be February lol).

I'm pretty sure Haley goes on tour in March. Because she says that with doing the tour she would just be back in time for finals, i.e. June, and Nathan says to Dan that the tour is 12 weeks, so therefore she left around March time.

So Season 1 would be October - January/February and Season 2 would be February - June, which really makes no sense considering Karen was supposed to be in Italy for 6 weeks (almost half of season 1) yet she was only away for about 5 or 6 episodes.

So I'd say that Naley got married in season 1 at like end of January/early February at the latest. So really they did only date for about 3 months max before they got married, which is just crazy. AND that means that about half of season 2 (up until about 2x13) all took place within about one month, lol, which is also crazy.

Justlikeheaven_

[32]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 33
    ^ It is crazy. I think their seperation was more realistic in a way time wise because there was a "3 months later" in 3x01 so they were already seperated 3 months from the time that Haley came back to the time Nathan came back from high flyers. And when Nathan came back they were still on barely talking terms.

ANYWAY.....EVERYONE EXCITED FOR TONIGHT!! I'm am completely antsy today its not even funny!!

txgirl75

[33]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 23
    I thought it was a great episode. Loved how they had a good send off with Dan. Good to see Keith and Deb. Best episode all season. I can't beleive 2 more episodes left. Gonna miss One Tree Hill. I know it's been time for the show to end for awhile. Who was this show decicated too?

that70sshow2000

[34]Mar 21, 2012
    In what way was "Keith" shown?

riku157

[35]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 6
    In the beginning of the episode it felt rushed at times, but by the end I truly enjoyed it and it's probably one of my favourite episodes this season. It was nice seeing Keith at the end as well, biggest surprise this season for me.

bronbrons27

[36]Mar 21, 2012
    Wow, definitely saddest episode of the season.

I thought it was good that they mainly just focused on the Scott family during the episode. The Brooke & her father storyline, and the Clay/Quinn stuff was good too, but I'm just glad that Naley, Dan and Deb were the focus of the episode. So I'll talk about Clay/Quinn/Brooke first and then do Naley:

I thought it was cool to see Sara's parents, although now I'm a bit confused as to why Logan was living at the home that Clay was at, as Sara's parents are clearly not dead, and do not look to elderly to take care of a child. But I guess Clay's doctor brought Logan there so that Clay could slowly realize that was his son or something.
    But anyway, the Clay/Logan hug was adorable. And I liked the Nathan/Clay scene in the hospital ("You have a son? How long was I gone?" hahaha).

Brooke/Julian - Seriously, why does Brooke still call her dad daddy?? I did like seeing him in another episode though. I actually hope we get to see Victoria again before the end of the series too, maybe she can comfort Brooke about her father or something. SO glad the Xavier stuff is over though. And Julian is going to make a TV show out of An Unkindness of Ravens?! That's just awesome!

Okay now Naley - Omg the Naley reunion was absolutely adorable. I loved all the Naley scenes in the episode sooo much.

How the hell did Jamie and Lydia get back so fast though? Seems like Haley just found out about Nathan returning a few hours before Deb shows up with the kids... and don't Lucas and Peyton live in Europe?! Just kinda weird that they got there so fast.
    And speaking of Lucas, okay so he doesn't want to come see Dan, that's understandable, but he couldn't at least come see Nathan?! It wasn't even mentioned that he came to see them off-screen.... I can't believe that OTH is ending in two weeks and the last Lucas/Nathan scene we had was in season 6, three years ago. Grrr.

It was great to see Deb again though, and I loved her scene with Dan. I love how they're still so mean to each other, but in a funny way. Their scenes together are always just great. The Haley/Dan scene with Lydia and Jamie was amazing as well, and even made me tear up a bit.

Everything with Nathan/Dan of course was great. The whole time during their scene on the rivercourt I kept thinking, "when did this scene take place??" and then found out it was just a dream... I loved Dan speech about Keith though.

And speaking of... OMG KEITH! Best surprise of the season (so far anyways...).
    So even though we don't get a final Lucas/Nathan scene, it was really amazing to have a final Dan/Keith scene! Aaah I loved it so much!

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed that Dan is dead... but I do really like how they sent him off, and it was great to see characters forgiving him before his death as well.

Cannot believe there are only 2 episodes left!!

txgirl75 wrote:
    Who was this show decicated too?
    Do you mean who was the episode dedicated to? I think it was Joanne Johansson, which I'm assuming is Paul Johansson's mom.

that70sshow2000 wrote:
    In what way was "Keith" shown?
    Oh it was great, we actually got a good long scene with Dan and Keith at the end of the episode. I won't give too much away for you, but we did get an actual new scene with Keith, he wasn't just shown in flashbacks.

that70sshow2000

[37]Mar 21, 2012
    I called it that Craig would be in the episode, but everyone said (Stellar) we woulda heard it by now. Ha!

And whoever asked why does Brooke call her dad daddy... Well my mom and aunts called their parents mommy daddy all in their adulthood and they're 40s and 50s. I know Brooke isn't close to her dad but the way you asked it seemed more like you were asking "isn't she too old for that??"

Lucas /Nathan: it is utterly a travesty that the show won't be ending with a NL anywhere in the last season. They are what OTH was all about. Why the he'll wouldn't mark bring Chad back this episode instead of 5.07 or whatever it was? Chad said he wanted to do it for fans and give them that closure so I'm sure he woulda done his one ep for 9.11. That way we'd get LH LN LK and maybe LD. gahhh

that70sshow2000

[38]Mar 21, 2012
    Omgggg. I'm not sure this show has never made me cry, definitely not in all the adult years. 3.16 and the slow mo sequence in 4.21 with the in their gowns going to the ambulance gets my eyes watery but damn this episode has me having to fight back tears and still a few get passed. It's amazing how the Dan and Keith closure is SIX YEARS in the making, and ironically down to the MONTH. I loved the ending on many levels. 1 that it was such a nice surprise and unexpected. 2 OMGGGGG the last line Keith "you're my plus one", saying they're both going to the "same place", gawd that line got me. It's amazing how this SL was originated in season 3 and now in season 9 it's come to an end, 6 years later and we were still finding out new info a out that day, how Dan felt, what he was thinking etc. Dan and deb were also great and I love how they ended them. Haley Dan Jamie Lydia is a scene that also made me cry. Nathan and Dan on the ball court... Gawd. There's just nothing to say. Beautifully done. Cried like hell. Its amazing how this show has reached this level. Seeing the flashbacks of Dan being mayor and all that, back then I never thought I'd be seeing so far into those characters lives with so much emotion. I think that mightve been the best ep of the series... And without a don't the best ending.

stellarchick86

[39]Mar 21, 2012

Loved everything about the beginning of the ep. The only gripe is that the Naley reunion seemed to be a little too soft, but it was sweet and awesome, so no biggie

How is it that Paul is like ghost white, pink eyes and lying in a hospital bed and still looks SO hot? LOL

I love that Dan is actually dying because of something helping Nathan because seeing him feel guilty like this adds more drama to the show than if Dan died of his heart condition a few years ago where Nathan doesn't care

Loved the scene between Clay and Nathan

Aww- loved the scene of Naley sitting there on the bed with Lydia walking all around in her play-pen

I'm enjoying seeing Brooke with her dad much more than Xavier because it's new but it just seems like a repeat of Victoria (Brooke wants parent's love but feels suspicious and asks them about it, they have an ulterior motive, Brooke is hurt, repeat). To me it would've been better if they kept it as "Victoria is verbally abusive, Ted is absentee". It would also parallel her and Nathan once more since Victoria would be like Dan and Ted would be like Deb.

Loved everything about the scene with Haley, Lydia and Dan in the hospital bed. And at least they addressed the Lucas situation rather than just ignored it

Enjoyed that they brought up Sara's parents and what happened 6 years ago rather than just have Logan already living with Clay without connecting A and B together

Loved Dan's "Am I in hell?" and Deb's "Not yet" LOL. Basically loved the whole scene with Deb/Dan. Him talking about how Deb shouldn't feel guilty, how it was more schmaltzy than all of their scenes the past…well, pretty much ever because they do have a son together but it wasn't too schmaltzy, even Dan saying "one more for old times sake"!! LOL I'm going to miss him

Daaang Brooke- you go girl! Haha I'm so glad she told at least one parent off. Also how exactly does Brooke think she has time for a clothing line, her café, a husband AND taking care of twins? Was Bakerman supposed to just be she does the designs but Ted takes care of everything else, so her part was just drawing in her spare time? Or was she going to quit the café or? I don't get it

Julian is amazing. "A character that doesn't love Brooke Davis? I wouldn't even know how to write them". Melts my heart

Loved that they finally had Dan explain to Nathan about Keith rather than just say stuff like "because I'm the villain in the story", like he did to Lucas. What Dan did is far more complex than that and now tonight it shows. PJ was amazing in that scene. Oh man I started crying when Dan started crying after Nathan said 'I love you' and they started playing ball together

Holy moly they got Craig Sheffer back! I was fairly spoiled this season but this one was under WRAPS! And boy did he age LOL. And the scene was a tiny bit corny, but good. Ahhh I started crying again! LOL

Overall, an amazing episode. The best this season. 10/10!

stellarchick86

[40]Mar 21, 2012
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    I actually hope we get to see Victoria again before the end of the series too, maybe she can comfort Brooke about her father or something. SO glad the Xavier stuff is over though. And Julian is going to make a TV show out of An Unkindness of Ravens?! That's just awesome! How the hell did Jamie and Lydia get back so fast though? Seems like Haley just found out about Nathan returning a few hours before Deb shows up with the kids... and don't Lucas and Peyton live in Europe?! Just kinda weird that they got there so fast.

Couldnt agree more with all of this.
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    And speaking of Lucas, okay so he doesn't want to come see Dan, that's understandable, but he couldn't at least come see Nathan?! It wasn't even mentioned that he came to see them off-screen.... I can't believe that OTH is ending in two weeks and the last Lucas/Nathan scene we had was in season 6, three years ago. Grrr.

Completely agree. If they didnt bother to get Chad back or if he didnt want to come back, then I get it, but why not save him until 9x11 ? Makes no sense to me.
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    The whole time during their scene on the rivercourt I kept thinking, "when did this scene take place??" and then found out it was just a dream...

I figured it was happening in real-time because of Dan's scruffiness and Nathans short hair-do, so I figured that Dan would die by collapsing on the court or something so it was just him and Nathan so Jamie wouldnt have to see him die. But then I figured it was a dream because Nathan mentioned him burning down his diner and I thought "Nathan was kidnapped shortly after, so theres no way he couldve said that", so then I figured it was a dream. It sucks that he didnt get the forgiveness he was seeking by having it be real but maybe they did it because people would be upset if Nathan forgave him, still? Idk.

bronbrons27 wrote:
    IAnd speaking of... OMG KEITH! Best surprise of the season (so far anyways...).
    So even though we don't get a final Lucas/Nathan scene, it was really amazing to have a final Dan/Keith scene!

Couldnt agree more, since they basically started the whole show.