One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

9x11 "Danny Boy" Episode Discussion

How was the ep?

Justlikeheaven_

[81]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 33
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^Lol, no I couldnt agree more. There were a few things that have happened in the adult characters' past that didnt make that much sense to me. Like Karen being a cheerleader, let alone head cheerleader. I saw her more as a Haley type, sitting on the sidelines mocking the cheerleaders, not joining in. And yes I know Haley was a cheerleader but by then Haley had changed anyway, she wanted to be closer to Nathan and needed to help Brooke out. Karen I felt was more like Haley in s1 than Haley in s3. I could see someone more like Sheri, Tim's step mom, as a cheerleader. I kind of felt like they needed Karen to be a cheerleader to explain why she would go out with Dan, but it never seemed THAT likely to me. Thats why I kind of wished that she became friends with Keith first, who was sort of like her Lucas, but then ended up dating Dan, who was like her Nathan. And thats why it makes it more poignant that Nathan changed for the better for his "Karen" even though Dan couldnt. Maybe she joined senior year, like Haley, and then started going out with Dan, as well LOL

I understand. And i ageee that it doesn't make sense that Karen was a cheerleader. I almost see her like a Haley were she started out being a "keep to myself" kind of person and then Karen met Dan and things changed and she became a cheerleader. Am i missing something...we don't know how Karen and Dan met right? I always wanted to know that because with Haley she was that keep to myself girl and then after she met Nathan and was married to him, she changed into the "popular cheerleader" type (s3, S4 haley) because she was with the star basketball player. Even though she really wasn't that type. You didn't really see that change in her in season 2 even though you knew she already had that label of "popular" because of being with Nathan. But my point is...lol. Maybe with Karen it the same type of scenario. Maybe thats why Sherri hated karen so much. lol I have always seen Sherri (tims mom) as a b!tchy early day Brooke. and she was maybe threated by her in high school. always seen her as so nasty to Karen as adults because she never got over high school.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[82]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 32
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I understand. And i ageee that it doesn't make sense that Karen was a cheerleader. I almost see her like a Haley were she started out being a "keep to myself" kind of person and then Karen met Dan and things changed and she became a cheerleader. Am i missing something...we don't know how Karen and Dan met right? I always wanted to know that because with Haley she was that keep to myself girl and then after she met Nathan and was married to him, she changed into the "popular cheerleader" type (s3, S4 haley) because she was with the star basketball player. Even though she really wasn't that type. You didn't really see that change in her in season 2 even though you knew she already had that label of "popular" because of being with Nathan. But my point is...lol. Maybe with Karen it the same type of scenario. Maybe thats why Sherri hated karen so much. lol I have always seen Sherri (tims mom) as a b!tchy early day Brooke. and she was maybe threated by her in high school. always seen her as so nasty to Karen as adults because she never got over high school.

Glad you agree, and I pretty much agree with what you said. I just dont know, even with life events and everything else, people are still the same at their core, so its hard for me to say "oh well that was high school, shes different now". Girls that were cheerleaders and popular types from my HS settled down with kids pretty early in life too but they all had their guys' support too, so its hard for me to picture Karen raising Lucas completely on her own not only with no support from the other cheerleaders or anything but having them all sit there and laugh behind her back because she was a single mother too. If she was the Haley type I could understand it more because if Haley had not married Nathan, she wouldve been pretty unpopular by the time she graduated high school. Maybe she was pretty rich and when she got cut off from her parents for deciding to raise Lucas thats when they all thought she was kind of pathetic? I dont know. Whatever. Compared to a lot of other things on this show it made sense LOL

Justlikeheaven_

[83]Mar 25, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:

Glad you agree, and I pretty much agree with what you said. I just dont know, even with life events and everything else, people are still the same at their core, so its hard for me to say "oh well that was high school, shes different now". Girls that were cheerleaders and popular types from my HS settled down with kids pretty early in life too but they all had their guys' support too, so its hard for me to picture Karen raising Lucas completely on her own not only with no support from the other cheerleaders or anything but having them all sit there and laugh behind her back because she was a single mother too. If she was the Haley type I could understand it more because if Haley had not married Nathan, she wouldve been pretty unpopular by the time she graduated high school. Maybe she was pretty rich and when she got cut off from her parents for deciding to raise Lucas thats when they all thought she was kind of pathetic? I dont know. Whatever. Compared to a lot of other things on this show it made sense LOL

Yeah agree. I always try to figure out what the case was with Karen, but i guess we just have to just imagine what the case really was because all we know is that Karen was cut off from her parents when she got pregnant with Lucas. It would have been pretty hard for her obviously if she didn't have it like Haley. But now that i think about it, Maybe that is where Royal comes into play. Maybe Dan's parents helped out Karen even though Dan didn't. And i agree about the Haley thing too. If she never had ended up with Nathan, she would have just been that honor student who is smarter than everyne in her class. I mean, even in real life high school, those types of students are kinda the outcasts because they are seen as "geeks". But since Haley had the addition of being with the star basketball player, she was forced being "popular" but we all know that she was still truly a geek on the inside. I always think that that is part of the reason why Haley had told Skills in "pictures of you" that she didn't feel like she fit anywhere...or something along those lines. Like, it is completely different for like Brooke or Peyton where they had already had that label of being popular.

stellarchick86

[84]Mar 25, 2012
    ^Couldnt agree more. Love your new sig btw! If you could fit 9 of them, Id say you should do 1 for every season haha
    Edited on 03/25/2012 12:37pm

that70sshow2000

[85]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 15
    You guys are buying into cheerleader stereotypes too much. A cheerleader could be the sweetest person and just enjoys cheering on her HS athletes and having school spirit, while a girl on yearbook staff could be the bitchiest, most self-absorbed girl ever.

Just bc Karen didn't act like Sherri doesn't mean she wasn't the "cheerleader type." Its not as though Mark wrote in she was a cheerleader just as a way to meet Dan and then forgot he wrote that; there was continuity like in the episode where she digs up the time capsule with Larry. Or in s2 when she tells Lucas "no thanks" to being that age again, having a fake ID, partying, drinking etc. As if she's been there done that, over it.

I'm saying there was nothing written to justifiably be able to say "Karen so wasn't the cheerleader type in HS." I just don't like stereotypes like that; Sherri so was the cheerleader type bc shes bitchy, obnoxious, and suck up, and Karen couldn't be the cheerleader type bc she's not like Sherri.

Justlikeheaven_

[86]Mar 25, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^Couldnt agree more. Love your new sig btw! If you could fit 9 of them, Id say you should do 1 for every season haha

haha! Thanks!! I wanted a change. When OTH was in season 4 i had season 1-4 in naley icons but now more than that doesnt fit. I wish 9 of them fit but only 4 do without it telling me that the signature is too big. lol!

stellarchick86

[87]Mar 25, 2012
    ^Ohh yeah. I hear ya. I had that problem too with my sig. I had to squeeze the crap out of it first LOL

bronbrons27

[88]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 14
    I agree with what you guys have been saying, I never really saw Karen as the cheerleader type either. But I think her story may have been similar to Haley's, in that she was more shy and nerdier at first (and friends with Keith maybe) but then she got together with Dan and became more popular and a cheerleader as well (although I still find head cheerleader a bit of a stretch).
    Also, in season 4 when Haley is upset and talking to Karen about how she is pregnant and her and Nathan do not have much money etc, Karen mentions that when she got pregnant with Lucas she didn't have a family, any friends, or anyone to help her out. Obviously we know that Karen's parents cut her off when she got pregnant with Lucas, but if she was supposed to be head cheerleader/popular, why did she not have any friends at all? Are we just supposed to assume that they ALL stopped talking to her once she got pregnant?

I always would have liked to have seen flashbacks of Dan, Karen and Keith in highschool, to have a better understanding of what happened to them back then. I think that's definitely one thing Mark should have explored more.

stellarchick86

[89]Mar 25, 2012
    Couldnt agree more, Brons. When Nathan shows that flashback video of Dan and Karen winning prom queen/king in early s1 to p!ss of Lucas, I can see her as a cheerleader, but its probably because its a different actress playing her LOL but with the Karen we know now, IDK.
    Edited on 03/25/2012 9:15pm

that70sshow2000

[90]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 15
    ^when Karen says she didn't have much friends or family it doesnt mean she didn't have any friends, but given the context she was speaking in, she meant she didn't have any help from friends.

That's not to say she didn't get ANY help from friends; maybe here and there, but when Karen is talking about it 18 years later she's going to think about the big picture overall, not the little help here n there she may've gotten, or maybe she DID have lots of support and she was talking about financially.

But anyway just bc she was a cheerleader doesn't mean she will have a lot of FRIENDS. like Brooke says in s1, there's being friends and theres being on the same squad/team. Plus it was HS; maybe her friends went out of state for college. Or got married to their own HS boyfriend n got just as busy as Karen. Stellar n the other girl and you too were saying Karen doesn't seem like the cheerleader type. Much like Peyton wasn't the "cheerleader type" but was still one. And again to back up my earlier point of being a cheerleader doesn't mean ull have lots of friends---as Haley found out of Peyton in s1, Peyton had lots of "minions" but no real/true friends she can talk to about other than cheerleading etc.

Perhaps Karen was more like a Peyton. Not the "cheerleader type" but doing it bc her mom was, or maybe Karens mom encouraged her to.

I wish and they should've had a flashback ep of DKK in s1 when they were revealing the history. Only thing we got as a pic of young Keith looking longingly at a young Katen with young Dan.

Justlikeheaven_

[91]Mar 26, 2012
    bronbrons27 wrote:

I always would have liked to have seen flashbacks of Dan, Karen and Keith in highschool, to have a better understanding of what happened to them back then. I think that's definitely one thing Mark should have explored more.

Yeah, i would have liked to see that too because throughout the seasons we have gotten bits and pieces of her life story, but nothing enough that we would be able to put it all together to figure out how she struggled when she was pregnant with Lucas. And how she was different than how Haley had it when she was pregnant with Jamie.

TreeHill_89

[92]May 15, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    bronbrons27 wrote:

Yeah, i would have liked to see that too because throughout the seasons we have gotten bits and pieces of her life story, but nothing enough that we would be able to put it all together to figure out how she struggled when she was pregnant with Lucas. And how she was different than how Haley had it when she was pregnant with Jamie.

Thats sounds good, they should of done one episode too explore her character more maybe when Haley was pregnant with Jamie they could have had an episode with flashbacks of Karen's being pregnant. I just this episode and 2 more episodes to come before the final UK has decided to show the last two episodes back to back so as of Next monday around 10pm there will be no more OTH for me I saw the adverts and it made me so sad. I can't imagine when i watch it...