One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

9x13 "One Tree Hill" Episode Discussion

How would you rate the last episode ever?

aless888

[101]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 23

After reading through the thread I feel like I have the unpopular opinion. I didn't like the finale.

First what I did like: I loved seeing Gavin come back to sing and hearing U2's One Tree Hill. Bevin coming back was also nice.

ETA: Naley kissing in the rain was cute.

What I didn't like: Too many live performances. It felt like the OTH musical hour with flashbacks and references to past seasons. It was too heavy handed; if they had put less of it (live performances, references, and flashbacks) in, I would've like it a lot more. Maybe they could have had Haley and Chris perform in the second to last episode. I felt like almost nothing happened in the episode because of it, and I would have liked more plot.

Chris and Chase spying on the girls was creepy, not funny.

It needed some Lucas and Peyton. I know Hilarie wouldn't come back but having Chad even do something small like have a short scene with Nathan or Haley would have been great, and could have been filmed ahead when Chad was filming scenes for the other episode. I even would have accepted a flashback of Lucas and Peyton, since they were an important part of the show for a long time (ETA: It seemed I missed the flashback. I don't remember in the final scene, where I expected it to be. Where was it and what was it of?)

I didn't appreciate the flash forward. It came off too cheesy and I don't like Jamie much so it was just UGH. However ending with basketball was a good idea, and it was executed so much better in the season 4 finale. I would of loved a parallel scene to the season 4 one with Lucas and Nathan playing basketball, with their friends, and their older kids making fun of them on the sidelines.

On a funnier note I expected a car to crash as the camera zoomed out from the cafe; but then I remembered that we got our car crash this season when Chris pinned the mobster against the wall.

Edited on 04/05/2012 9:08am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[102]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 32

Lol you make some good points Aless.

I also agree about the musical guests, I guess they just needed something to fill up time in between random sentimental scenes between characters, sort of like the s2 finale. Though a longer whole cast interaction scene wouldve been nice to take up time yet still be important.

And with Chad returning, yeah it wouldve been nice if he couldve been there. Maybe they wouldve had something where Lucas and Sawyer (and preferrably a young son) go up to Naleys house to meet up before Jamie's basketball game and Lucas claims that they are home for good now and they have a nice L/H/N scene. Then Haley asks where Peyton is and he claims that shes still back in Italy or wherever trying to sell the house and Lucas thought he would come out to TH first and set everything up so she wouldnt come home to an empty house. It would suck to not have them around for practically 10 years, but there isnt a way for them to come back home earlier because they cant have Chad say they are coming back home and Peytons not around and then not have Peyton around for the 5 year flashforward either. But at least we know that they will eventually be reunited and all live out their lives together. And it would only take 2 extra scenes. They couldve done without some of the musical acts and that scene between CK and the record exec for that (we all know Haley would sign him anyway, why even bother with the music exec?)

Edited on 04/04/2012 11:53pm

TreeHill_89

[103]Apr 5, 2012
    I just skipped to the last page without reading the comments about the finale. Can't believe it's over now ( I'm so tempted to watch it online but then it's over for me too. Where as in England I've just finished watching episode 5. Love this season and I'm so glad they brought back dan and Chris.

Justlikeheaven_

[104]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 33

OK, So i want to first off say how FUNNY my emotional reaction was while watching the finale last night. I was just tearing up ,but then broke down whenthe whole cast sang along with Gavin Degraw to "I don't want to be" lol. And even funnier, once the episode ended and the credits came up saying blah blah blah executive producers, i literally was FROZEN for a good 30 seconds. LOL!

Anyway, this was an amazing finale! I liked how they had the tric gathering centered around all the little flashbacks of the scenes with the characters. It actually reminded me a lot of the season 2 finale. I loved all the throwbacks to things all throughout the series. Now it just makes me want to go back and watch those certain episodes!

I really loved the way the episode opened with Nathan, Haley, and Brooke looking in on their high school selves. It was very nicely done.

So i really loved the Haley/Chris scenes, and the Nathan/Chris scene. It was really nice how Nathan got Chris his quitar back that he sold back in season 3 to get Haley's masters. It was really a nice way to give those two closure. I laughed when Nathan mentioned the first time they saw each other was at tric and it was all downhill from there. And HAHA. Chris naming his guitar after Haley, great stuff!! Nathan's reaction was just priceless!!!!

The Brooke and Julian scenes were great too!! I know, I am actually saying that. I loved the idea that Julian bought Brooke's childhod house for their family. I said before, Brooke has always loved being the girl behind the red door and now she can be again There are just a few things i want to complain about. I loved the Naley scenes, i did SO MUCH especially since we got the two most significant things that are a part of their relationship. Rain, and the "don't say i never gave you anything" with ofcourse the crackerjack box and bracelet. And their rain kiss definitely reminded me of their season 3 rain kiss because of Nathan's hair. lol!BUT It really felt like they didn't get that many scenes. Like everyone else has more than them. I don't know, it might just be me, but atleast the ones we did get were important ones.

Edited on 04/05/2012 5:38am
    Edited 4 total times.

that70sshow2000

[105]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 15
    I agree with someone else that Chris and Chase spying on the girls *in their house* was just weird. This is why I can't stand having had Chase around. S5 was ok for an episode like they brought Tim back etc. But bringing him on in s7 til now or whenever it was was stupid since they never knew really what to do with him there all his scenes are silly/stupid or repititive. I mean how many times in the last 3 or w.e seasons have we heard the same joke "bar MANAGER" and "it's called he brain blaster!" to this day I have NO idea why Stephen has been on this show passed his s5 episode. Regarding Chase.. The guy sure has changed from his hs self. He used to be so respectful of girls and now he's spying on them getting his jollies going. How come chase went backwards? This would've made sense rondo when he's 17 but he's supposed to be a 27 yr old man? Pathetic and from a writing standpoint, stupid. And two things about Jamie... It's not really a mistake for the thing not to say James Scott.maybe Jamie kept on using Jamie in school and so he preferring his trophy to also say Jamie since it's what he goes by. I doubt he school is gonna say NO U HAVE TO USE UR BIRTH NAME FOO lol but then hey I never played HS bball...

And about it being a little sketchy that Jamie broke scoring title.. Well just bc nate was a supportive dad who didn't force Jamie into anything doesn't mean Nate practice Jamie hard bc maybe Jamie wanted him to so he'd be good in HS. you can be a hard and strict coach w your son without crossing the line into Dan. And finally, is everyone glad that we got this ending instead of say the s4? In other words, are you more satisfied to remember this show knowing these characters well into adulthood and actually seeing their futures? Or would you have rather remembered the show as a high school drama, with it ending after hs graduation, knowing theyll all be happy and together and ok but leaving specifics to the imagination. Just basically knowing they have a bright future, together, remaining friends, but not knowing what that future exactly will be

aless888

[106]Apr 5, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:

I also agree about the musical guests, I guess they just needed something to fill up time in between random sentimental scenes between characters, sort of like the s2 finale. Though a longer whole cast interaction scene wouldve been nice to take up time yet still be important.

And with Chad returning, yeah it wouldve been nice if he couldve been there. Maybe they wouldve had something where Lucas and Sawyer (and preferrably a young son) go up to Naleys house to meet up before Jamie's basketball game and Lucas claims that they are home for good now and they have a nice L/H/N scene. Then Haley asks where Peyton is and he claims that shes still back in Italy or wherever trying to sell the house and Lucas thought he would come out to TH first and set everything up so she wouldnt come home to an empty house. It would suck to not have them around for practically 10 years, but there isnt a way for them to come back home earlier because they cant have Chad say they are coming back home and Peytons not around and then not have Peyton around for the 5 year flashforward either. But at least we know that they will eventually be reunited and all live out their lives together. And it would only take 2 extra scenes. They couldve done without some of the musical acts and that scene between CK and the record exec for that (we all know Haley would sign him anyway, why even bother with the music exec?)

I agree. I feel like they still could have found a way to include Lucas and Peyton more, even without Hilarie. The show started as a story about Lucas and Nathan and I was really hoping that it would end that way. Also for my river court last scene idea they could have pulled the same stunt like they did with Jamie and showed a blonde Peyton lookalike from the back standing next to Lucas. It's better than nothing, and the whole gang could have been back together.

that70sshow2000

[107]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 15
    Oh and about Breyton, mark screwed Leyton/chileriie /disrepected them.

Maybe something did go down, I know mark has always said they all are on good terms but he says this in interviews and the like so you'd have to be pretty umm [beep] if you think he's going to tell the truth if wometimg did go down.

There's just no reason to make it seem like Breyton don't see each other anymore or aren't friends. It's not hard to imply Peyton still visits without having the actress. They could've had Brooke at the airport waiting with a Brooke voice over saying something about getting to see your childhood best friend even when you're both grown up with families that best friends always stay in touch or w.e. Just seems like mark wanted to throw hilarie under the bus maybe for not taking time to return. Chad not so much bc they didn't do the same to his character.. They showed the old books Lucas read, including the one Haley gave Lucas in the pilot. They mentioned his predictions with haley...they included Lucas in the finale. But win Peyton, all they had was Brooke voice over'ing never seeing certain friends again.

Justlikeheaven_

[108]Apr 5, 2012
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    And finally, is everyone glad that we got this ending instead of say the s4? In other words, are you more satisfied to remember this show knowing these characters well into adulthood and actually seeing their futures? Or would you have rather remembered the show as a high school drama, with it ending after hs graduation, knowing theyll all be happy and together and ok but leaving specifics to the imagination. Just basically knowing they have a bright future, together, remaining friends, but not knowing what that future exactly will be

Yes. I am glad we had this series finale instead of the season 4 one. I said once, actually not that long ago that if we had the OTH end in season 4, things would have been totally different. I mean, if it ended then we wouldn't have even gotten to know Jamie, and even we would have only known that Brooke was still dating Chase, and we would have only known 2 years of their lives. With it ending now, in season 9, we got to know like 18 years of their life. (assuming that jamie is 17 in the time jump). For me, that is just awesome!

angrodpallanen

[109]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 22

It was everything it should be. I loved every second of it. Of this show. I'm still kind of blown away by all of it.

luv2live

[110]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 14
    aless888 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

I agree. I feel like they still could have found a way to include Lucas and Peyton more, even without Hilarie. The show started as a story about Lucas and Nathan and I was really hoping that it would end that way. Also for my river court last scene idea they could have pulled the same stunt like they did with Jamie and showed a blonde Peyton lookalike from the back standing next to Lucas. It's better than nothing, and the whole gang could have been back together.

Could not agree more. I feel like Mark and the other writers forgot what this show was originally about; two brothers and how their lives, and the lives of their friends, were affected by Dan. Most shows at least acknowledge the beginning a bit more I think. I just think it was a bit sad, especially for the fans who've watched from the beginning and stuck it out through some dry slow points.

Justlikeheaven_

[111]Apr 5, 2012
    Ok, so i have a question, that may be stupid, i dont know. In Chris/Nathan's closure scene in the beginning of the episode when Nathan mentions that the first time he and chris met was at tric 10 years ago, and he said "It's been all downhill from there" ? What was Nathan referring to...? Chris' music career?

LeytonTLA

[112]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 16
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    Ok, so i have a question, that may be stupid, i dont know. In Chris/Nathan's closure scene in the beginning of the episode when Nathan mentions that the first time he and chris met was at tric 10 years ago, and he said "It's been all downhill from there" ? What was Nathan referring to...? Chris' music career?

I think he was joking probably about his music and looks

LeytonTLA

[113]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 16

Ok so i just read all the comments about the episode not all the other ones though will do that another day, firstly i basically agree with most of what everyone has said, the episode was good it was great i personally have major qualms about the Leyton stuff but everyone has already really said it, i just wanted to comment on seeing the plaque with jamies name on it, i dont think that was real i think nathan was just hoping that it would be real because they wouldnt of put that plaque up until jamie had left because someone else could of beat him and then they would just have to take his down and put up the new leading scorer, i think its just to show to contrast between him and dan and how he would of loved for jamie to beat his score, just my opinion

stellarchick86

[114]Apr 5, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    BUT It really felt like they didn't get that many scenes. Like everyone else has more than them. I don't know, it might just be me

I wondered about that too, like Brulian got more, but I think its because the twins are too young to interact with so most of their scenes are together but with Naley, you have Nathan/Haley together as well as Nathan/Jamie and Haley/Jamie. So they have to spread it out that way, ya know.
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    The guy sure has changed from his hs self. He used to be so respectful of girls and now he's spying on them getting his jollies going. How come chase went backwards? This would've made sense rondo when he's 17 but he's supposed to be a 27 yr old man? Pathetic and from a writing standpoint, stupid.

Agreed. Him and CK really went backwards. I mean CK was always pretty immature like that, but not to that extent. It's like he went backwards too because back then he was concerned with getting his music career going, even as a teen, but now he's doing what he would've done back then by spying on girls and stuff.
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    And finally, is everyone glad that we got this ending instead of say the s4? In other words, are you more satisfied to remember this show knowing these characters well into adulthood and actually seeing their futures? Or would you have rather remembered the show as a high school drama, with it ending after hs graduation, knowing theyll all be happy and together and ok but leaving specifics to the imagination. Just basically knowing they have a bright future, together, remaining friends, but not knowing what that future exactly will be

Nah I'd much rather know what happened in the future. That's why even though the show has gone a bit downhill, I still consider s9 to be the end and not s4. In s4, we didn't know what their careers would be like, we didn't know Lydia, we didn't know Sawyer and that LP got married and we didn't know Julian, Brooke's marriage to him or the twins, plus other stuff. That's a lot in 5 years!
    Aless888 wrote:

Yeah, that could work too. If we didn't see Jamie's face, not seeing Peyton's face wouldn't be too contrived.
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    There's just no reason to make it seem like Breyton don't see each other anymore or aren't friends. It's not hard to imply Peyton still visits without having the actress. They could've had Brooke at the airport waiting with a Brooke voice over saying something about getting to see your childhood best friend even when you're both grown up with families that best friends always stay in touch or w.e. Just seems like mark wanted to throw hilarie under the bus maybe for not taking time to return. Chad not so much bc they didn't do the same to his character.. They showed the old books Lucas read, including the one Haley gave Lucas in the pilot. They mentioned his predictions with haley...they included Lucas in the finale. But win Peyton, all they had was Brooke voice over'ing never seeing certain friends again.

Agreed. Since Brooke was saying nice things about growing up in Peytons room, they could've made it sound like they were coming back home and could've used Aless' idea about showing a blonde girl with curly hair to signify Peyton with Chad.

stellarchick86

[115]Apr 5, 2012
    Hopefully maybe we can all hope for a reunion in 5-10 years LOL They did it with 90210 and no one thought it could work so hopefully they can do it here too. Though Im still crossing my fingers for a OC reunion considering its already been 5 :-/

Justlikeheaven_

[116]Apr 5, 2012

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    BUT It really felt like they didn't get that many scenes. Like everyone else has more than them. I don't know, it might just be me
    I wondered about that too, like Brulian got more, but I think its because the twins are too young to interact with so most of their scenes are together but with Naley, you have Nathan/Haley together as well as Nathan/Jamie and Haley/Jamie.
    Yeah, i guess i didn't think of it that way. I am just happy that we got what we did get. I mean, having a little dinner of throwbacks to their first date, and first tutor session combined is just perfect. And they had a rain scene which made it even better. Now that i think about it, even though Nathan/Haley had the least scenes together out of all of them, they had the most significant ones. I should be happy about that. LOL

Edited on 04/05/2012 7:04pm
    Edited 2 total times.

aless888

[117]Apr 5, 2012

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Hopefully maybe we can all hope for a reunion in 5-10 years LOL They did it with 90210 and no one thought it could work so hopefully they can do it here too. Though Im still crossing my fingers for a OC reunion considering its already been 5 :-/

I hope so too. Some of them worked together for 9 years, so hopefully it will be like going to see some old friends, even if they didn't get along with all the cast members.

Edited on 04/05/2012 6:58pm

stellarchick86

[118]Apr 5, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:

I wondered about that too, like Brulian got more, but I think its because the twins are too young to interact with so most of their scenes are together but with Naley, you have Nathan/Haley together as well as Nathan/Jamie and Haley/Jamie.

Yeah, i guess i didn't think of it that way. I am just happy that we got what we did get. I mean, having a little dinner of throwbacks to their first date, and first tutor session combined is just perfect. And they had a rain scene which made it even better. Now that i think about it, even though Nathan/Haley had the least scenes together out of all of them, they had the most significant ones. I should be happy about that. LOL

Lol very true. Naley was about throwbacks, which was so cute. Brulian was more like walking back through Brooke's past. Though I like Brooke more as an individual than her with Julian together so Im not really complaining, just stating lol

Justlikeheaven_

[119]Apr 5, 2012

aless888 wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:

I hope so too. Some of them worked together for 9 years, so hopefully it will be like going to see some old friends, even if they didn't get along with all the cast members.

I think a tree hill reunion episode would be cool. Like Nathan, Haley, Brooke, and everyone and the kids come back for one episode so we get caught up, but i think that a entire spin off of OTH (like they did with BH 90210, AND 90210) would be badbecause then it would ruin the way we saw the series end, and i don't want that to happen.

stellarchick86 wrote:

Lol very true. Naley was about throwbacks, which was so cute. Brulian was more like walking back through Brooke's past. Though I like Brooke more as an individual than her with Julian together so Im not really complaining, just stating lol

Yeah, very true. But i think that the only actual romantic relationship that could pull off throwbacks in their scenes would be Nathan/Haley because they have been together the longest out of all the couples. I don't think it would have worked for like Brooke/Julian.

Edited on 04/05/2012 7:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

stellarchick86

[120]Apr 5, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I think a tree hill reunion episode would be cool. Like Nathan, Haley, Brooke, and everyone and the kids come back for one episode so we get caught up, but i think that a entire spin off of OTH (like they did with BH 90210, AND 90210) would be badbecause then it would ruin the way we saw the series end, and i don't want that to happen.

Well when I say reunion, I mean that the 5 core cast members, plus Moira, Paul and maybe Craig and Barbara come back and they talk about old times/behind-the-scenes stuff, etc. They did one for 90210 and what was so good about it is that old cast members who never came back on the show came back for the reunion to talk about stuff. Shannen Doherty left after s4, even though the show lasted for 10 years, and then they added like another few years onto that, and Shannen came back to talk about her departure and left rumors to rest. I figured they could do the same with Chad and Hilarie, once a few years go by and they arent busy doing whatever they are doing now, and why I wanted it with The OC was because of Mischa Barton.

Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    But i think that the only actual romantic relationship that could pull off throwbacks in their scenes would be Nathan/Haley because they have been together the longest out of all the couples. I don't think it would have worked for like Brooke/Julian.

True. They couldnt do all that much with Brulian except for maybe 'Dont You Forget About Me' that Brooke always dances around to and she did that on her wedding day.