One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

Should this show have continued without Peyton and Lucas?

Should this show have continued without Peyton and Lucas?

Chace_Welling

[1]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 4

I personally think the writers should have just ended the show the season that Chad and Hillary left. The focus of the show was Lucas and his narrating the episodes as part of his book (them getting Nathan to do that at the start of this season is just not the same). I loved the first 4 seasons of the show, the next 2 were pretty good and then it just went downhill. The show introduced all of these characters that I just don't care for too much. I'm not attached to these new faces and I would much rather find out what Lucas and Peyton are up to than whether Alex and Chace will work things out. The show is just not what it used to be and it should have ended on a high note rather than dropping in quality and ratings to the point of getting cancelled.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[2]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 32
    ^Well, Id personally consider getting 3 more seasons out of the show without 2 of the main characters a pretty darn good thing so I dont think that the show has become so horrible that its getting "cancelled" otherwise they wouldve done it back in s7. But to answer your question, as much as Id like LP to stick around because they were there from the beginning, I have no problem with them continuing on the show. My favorite is Brooke so as long as she stuck around, I stuck around. Also, I like Quinn, Alex, Millie, Rachel (s7) so I was good w/ seeing them and continuing on the show. Haley and Dan are my 2nd and 3rd faves, and they are also still around. So yeah I see no problem in continuing on with the show. Im not saying that the newer seasons have been perfect, but I also dont think s5 and s6 have been perfect either so its just a matter of taste. If you dont like the newer seasons, then just pretend like they dont exist, then for those that do, we get extra seasons. Thats what I do with s4 of The OC lol

that70sshow2000

[3]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 15
    Seriously another one of these?

...really...?

The show has only 8 episodes left! LOL.

stellarchick86

[4]Feb 8, 2012
    that70sshow2000 wrote:

The show has only 8 episodes left! LOL.

True true. I kind of wasted my breath huh LOL oh well

that70sshow2000

[5]Feb 8, 2012
    Wasted yur breath? WTF kinda neW fangled wa do you type?

stellarchick86

[6]Feb 8, 2012
    ^Lol. I Dnt Noz

Justlikeheaven_

[7]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 33
    I personally thought season 7 and 8 were the best out of the adult seasons to be honest. And they were the 2 seasons that Hilarie and Chad werent in, and this season being the 3rd season without hilarie and Chad. Ofcourse, i cant compare the adult seasons to the highschool years because the highschool years are still going to be the best out of ALL the seasons, but i think they did a pretty great job going on without chad and hilarie. When Julian, Quinn and Clay came along they fit into the show perfectly. They didnt seem out of place or anything. As long as Nathan, Haley, and Brooke stuck around,, i would be happy. When I heard that James wasnt going to be in all of the episodes i was a bit upset because that would be another main character leaving, but it seems to be working out okay because of the reason behind his absense.

bronbrons27

[8]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 14
    I'd say season 5 is probably my favourite of the adult seasons, but I go back and forth between 5 and 6 a lot. But I do prefer season 7 to season 8.
    When I first heard that Lucas and Peyton weren't going to be in season 7, I was really disappointed and I didn't think the show could ever be as good without them. But actually, I have to say the writers did a really great job with writing in new characters in season 7, and I think the show had a nice refreshing feel to it. I've always loved Clay's character, and I didn't like Alex at first, but I grew to like her by the end of the season. And Quinn, well I still don't really like her that much, but she's okay.
    Plus, I'd say Haley is my favourite female character on the show, so I'm glad she never left.

Justlikeheaven_

[9]Feb 9, 2012
    bronbrons27 wrote:
    I'd say season 5 is probably my favourite of the adult seasons, but I go back and forth between 5 and 6 a lot. But I do prefer season 7 to season 8.
    When I first heard that Lucas and Peyton weren't going to be in season 7, I was really disappointed and I didn't think the show could ever be as good without them. But actually, I have to say the writers did a really great job with writing in new characters in season 7, and I think the show had a nice refreshing feel to it. I've always loved Clay's character, and I didn't like Alex at first, but I grew to like her by the end of the season. And Quinn, well I still don't really like her that much, but she's okay.
    Plus, I'd say Haley is my favourite female character on the show, so I'm glad she never left.

From the beginning when they brought in Quinn and Clay i always thought it was a way to replace Lucas and Peyton because Nathan is so close to Clay, like a brother, and Quinn is like a replacement peyton because Quinn/Haley/Brooke are the new friendship trio that used to be Peyton/Haley/Brooke.

As for Haley, she is my favorite female character too. I dont think it would have worked for me if she would leave.It would be so different to not have her around. I would have probably still watched because oth has been my favorite show since forever, lol. but still. And since Naley is my favorite couple on the show, if there was Nathan with no Haley, it would be just plain weird. Thats why before this season had started i was so frustrated to know that Nathan was only going to be in half the episodes. But now its not that bad because Haleys main story is finding nathan.

ILUVSCOFIELD

[10]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 9

I agree with that70sshow that another one of theae threads is pointless, especially since the show's almost over. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to think that that this show suffered just because Lucas and Peyton left is kind of far-fetched. There wasn't anything left for their characters to do; they got their happy ending according to the writers. And even though the show was about the relationship between the two brothers, it's still not that big of a deal, because Natan/Lucas worked through their differences, and they get along. L/P leaving didn't just totally kill this show;it's not like BH 90210 (when Brenda left, then Dylan, then Brandon), or L&O:SVU (when Stabler left). To me, those are shows that suffered when the main characters left.

Comparing Clay/Quinn to L/P also doesn't make much sense. I don't think the writers were trying to unearth L/P 2.0 with those two, they were just introducing new characters. That's what happens in life when you grow up. You meet new people, and reconnect with family, and sometimes you don'tsee other family that much anymore (even your brother).

I don't understand how Haley/Brooke/Quinn are supposed to be the new Haley/Brooke/Peyton. Brooke and Quinn aren't really that close. If anything they're acquaintances because of Haley. Haley and Peyton didn't seem all that close either. In S1 they started a friendship, but in later seasons they never seemed as close as Haley/Brooke, or even Peyton/Brooke. I think any closeness that H/Pmight've seemed to have was forced by the writers (more scenes together)once L/P became a couple because Haley/Lucas are friends and they wanted Haley to get along with whoever Lucas was dating (they did the same thing with Lindsey). This also explains to me Haley's sudden and fanatic support of L/P when before, she seemed like more of a Brucas supporter in prior seasons(at least she did to me).

that70sshow2000

[11]Feb 9, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I personally thought season 7 and 8 were the best out of the adult seasons to be honest. And they were the 2 seasons that Hilarie and Chad werent in, and this season being the 3rd season without hilarie and Chad. Ofcourse, i cant compare the adult seasons to the highschool years because the highschool years are still going to be the best out of ALL the seasons, but i think they did a pretty great job going on without chad and hilarie. When Julian, Quinn and Clay came along they fit into the show perfectly. They didnt seem out of place or anything. As long as Nathan, Haley, and Brooke stuck around,, i would be happy. When I heard that James wasnt going to be in all of the episodes i was a bit upset because that would be another main character leaving, but it seems to be working out okay because of the reason behind his absense.

I agree, especially s6 seemed tired, and s5 really just had one SL: LLP. the beginning of s5 was good bc it was new and interesting and I liked the Nathan storyline but it quickly changed like after 5.05.

I'd say 7 and 9 are the best of adult years. Ppl seemed to have loved s8 but ew. I'd rather watch 5 and 6.

Justlikeheaven_

[13]Feb 9, 2012

ILUVSCOFIELD wrote:
    I don't understand how Haley/Brooke/Quinn are supposed to be the new Haley/Brooke/Peyton. Brooke and Quinn aren't really that close. If anything they're acquaintances because of Haley. Haley and Peyton didn't seem all that close either. In S1 they started a friendship, but in later seasons they never seemed as close as Haley/Brooke, or even Peyton/Brooke. I think any closeness that H/Pmight've seemed to have was forced by the writers (more scenes together)once L/P became a couple because Haley/Lucas are friends and they wanted Haley to get along with whoever Lucas was dating (they did the same thing with Lindsey). This also explains to me Haley's sudden and fanatic support of L/P when before, she seemed like more of a Brucas supporter in prior seasons(at least she did to me).

They aren't really the "new" Peyton/Haley/Brooke friendship, i just think that that was what the writers figured they could do make it seem that way since Peyton was leaving. The only time that it really looked like they were all friends was when Quinn/Brooke/Haley were hanging out at Haley and Nathan's and Quinn made those weed brownies. Even if the Quinn/Brooke/Haley thing isnt anything like Brooke/Peyton/Haley, i DO believe that Clay was a way for Nathan to have a brother figure. May not have been intentional, but clay is like a brother to Nathan so you can't deny that.

stellarchick86

[14]Feb 9, 2012

I go back and fourth between the 4 adult seasons.

S8 was good because it was very Brooke-heavy so I loved everything tied to her (the adoption, the babies, all the stuff leading up the wedding, the hurricane episode). But I didnt like how Haley didnt have much to do (understandably, since Joy was pregnant, but still), Nathan's SL with the teacher kind of bored me, I hated how rushed they made Brooke finally have a baby/her pregnancy, how much it focused on Chuck and other stupid things.

The beginning half of s5 was great, even though it was very LP-heavy but the last half bored me.

S7 I thought was great all the way around, and there very few filler eps. What I esp. love about it is that I felt like they acted younger during that season which was much needed. Love the ep where the boys go camping and the 3 girls stay back and eat pot brownies, the 80s episode at the school, I loved Alex's character during that season, loved the Lydia storyline and other things. A drawback would be the Grubbs/Miranda crap and the Julian/Brooke stuff annoyed me too because I felt like it wasted time. If Brooke was really that untrusting of Julian, she wouldve been so during that year flashforward from s6 to s7 and then we wouldnt have even needed to see it. They had been together for a year and a half- Brooke even wanted to get married for goodness sakes- yet we are supposed to believe that Alex was some major threat to them, even though Julian was surrounded by actresses in LA during that year?? Oookay. So I feel like if they took all of that out, they couldve had Brooke plan her wedding that season and do the baby stuff in s8. Also it was pretty Chuck-heavy too.

S6 was great because I loved Brookes robbery SL, Qs SL, Sam was pretty good, the movie SL, etc. There were a lot of filler things though that I didnt care much about, like the USO show one and other things. S6 was probably one of the only seasons where I enjoyed watching LP stuff though (like the one where Peyton moves in and the one where they are babysitting Jamie and Andre) so thats a plus.

So essentially each season has its good and bad so its hard to list them. I guess if I had to, Id say s5-s7-s6-s8.

that70sshow2000

[15]Feb 9, 2012
    Well brooke didn't see and meet the actresses in LA and therefore didn't see if any were flirting with Julian.

With Alex, she saw her heavily flirting with him AND knowing she had feelings for him. Plus the fact she did want to marry him but didn't ask him and wasn't sure exactly where he stood after the comment he made about his dad and marriage, wad probably the reason for her insecurity and jealousy.

stellarchick86

[16]Feb 9, 2012
    I will agree about the marriage comment, but even after he told her that it wasnt that he didnt want to marry HER but just thought that maybe it was too soon, she still had issues.

As for the actresses out in LA, she may not have seen it firsthand (though Im sure she was around at some point because what else could she have done in LA?) but there had to have been a time where maybe they were out somewhere and a fan recognized her and came up to her and then hit on Julian at the same time or something. The s7 premiere made it seem like they were this "hot couple" like a Brad and Angelina or something so Im sure girls hitting on him was not a surprise.

If they insisted on bringing up Brookes trust issues again, then they couldve done that at the same time that she was planning the wedding. It would be more dramatic if there was a time where she thought maybe she should push the wedding off or if you think youre fiance is cheating rather than just your boyfriend rather than have that be her only storyline in s7. Even her trust issues with Lucas in s3 didnt take the whole season and she was older and wisher in s7, and Julian wasnt Lucas so it wasnt like she was going for round 3.

that70sshow2000

[17]Feb 9, 2012
    I guess they needed some tension for them and didn't want to make them happy all season, so they went the route of "when in doubt, throw in a love triangle." We're seeing the same this season when mark didn't know what to do with Chase.

But I did like the BJ tension, jealousy, fighting/break up. But ya moments of it weren't brookes finest moments. Like when she got a stick up her ass over seeing Julian touch alexs hand right after she tried to kill herself.

stellarchick86

[18]Feb 9, 2012
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    I guess they needed some tension for them and didn't want to make them happy all season, so they went the route of "when in doubt, throw in a love triangle." We're seeing the same this season when mark didn't know what to do with Chase.

Exactly. Its tired.
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    IBut ya moments of it weren't brookes finest moments. Like when she got a stick up her ass over seeing Julian touch alexs hand right after she tried to kill herself.

Exactly. Since Im re-watching s7 now I just want to throw a shoe at the screen most of the time lol

aless888

[19]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 23

I'll give a simple answer. because I don't feel like writing something really long.

No. However, my answer isn't solely because of Lucas and Peyton leaving. Season 6 was bad. I would have liked the show to have ended with just one bad season and the original gang together. The show now feels like a spin off to me, and in terms of quality it doesn't even come close to being as good as the first 4 seasons. Sometimes I watch reruns of the earlier seasons and it's so surprising how different the show is. When Brooke and Haley have a scene together it's amazing because I get a taste of what the show used to be (and sadly there are very few of those moments). I feel like there are so many storylines that are recycled from previous seasons (psychos, love triangles, Chris Keller convincing girls to go on tour...). If the show was on any other network it wouldn't have made it this far, and this has been a blessing and a curse. We're lucky we got season 4 and 5, but the show would have been better without the last few seasons.

I know I probably have the minority opinion because the majority of the people who come to the boards are fans of the show that are still watching the show because they enjoy it. I also know that there are a bunch of fans that quit watching the show because of the drop in quality, and it isn't because they're not true fans. It's because the show isn't the show they loved anymore. I'm still watching (although honestly I have only seen about half of season 7 and 8 ) because my sisters watch it, and after all these years I'm invested in what happens to Brooke, Haley and Nathan.

Edited on 02/09/2012 11:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

stellarchick86

[20]Feb 10, 2012

If the show couldve continued on with the same quality in s5-s9 that it had in s1-s4 then by all means it shoudlve continued. But since its not/didnt, I have to go by what they have done and say its not as great but its still watchable to me.

To me I think their big problems are 1. placing too much stock into musical guests and 2. placing too much stock into actors that they like rather than because their character makes sense as a SL.

1. Musical guests- rather than building SLs with a little bit of musical artists in the background for a song, they have them take up too much screentime. Thats one of the things that bugs me about s6 that Ive forgotten until now was how much they showed Kate in the recording booth, like they have no other idea on what to do for a few scenes than to show her. And dont get me started on Grubbs and the Miranda mess in s7.

2- Actors- how many times do they bring an actor back for a lame storyline that we dont care about just because they like the actor? Laurens the first one that comes to mind, but Im sure there are others. And I think things like love triangles with Chase and psychos wouldve been taken care of (i.e. Katie and Amanda Schull) had they not liked the actor.

Also Im sure my answer is going to be biased because Brooke is my favorite. I didnt get to see her wedding and have babies by the end of s6. If LP were my fave, then I could say I was done with the show after s6 and be fine knowing they are off camera somewhere, married with a daughter. So Id be dissapointed in not seeing the show further. To me the s6 finale wasnt so much "oh yay Brooke has her man now" because they couldve broken up the next day. To me it was knowing she was settled down with a man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with, through her wedding, and knowing that she finally had the baby she wanted.

And, on another note, not to start another LP debate or anything, but Lucas and Peyton were always my least fave out of the 5 so if two of the characters were going to leave then at least it was them, which made me okay with sticking around for the show. If it was Brooke and Haley or something I dont know if I wouldve.

Edited on 02/10/2012 1:07am
    Edited 2 total times.