One Tree Hill Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

Should this show have continued without Peyton and Lucas?

Should this show have continued without Peyton and Lucas?

  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [61]Feb 13, 2012
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Haleys never had one on her own (I dont count s3). Maybe she could? IDK I get tired of the car crashes. S1, s2 and s3 it was fine. Carrie was ridiculous in general and by Peyton it was like "Seriously now???" S8 was cool because it involved much more than just a crash because there was a sense of urgency and drama regarding if Jamie or Brooke would survive but it was a little s3ish for me. At this point I say no more LOL
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [62]Feb 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049
    Damn Haley already had a crash in s4! Go easy on her! With s8's crash, now all 5 teen originals have been in one. Damn that woulda been WAY better for That pyscho woman to have ran over CQ and way more realistic to survive. The shooting was ridiculos ESP w how long it was before someone noticed them n called 911.

    But then, they kinda already did the pyscho running over someone in a car in 5.18
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [63]Feb 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Haleys never had one on her own (I dont count s3). Maybe she could? IDK I get tired of the car crashes. S1, s2 and s3 it was fine. Carrie was ridiculous in general and by Peyton it was like "Seriously now???" S8 was cool because it involved much more than just a crash because there was a sense of urgency and drama regarding if Jamie or Brooke would survive but it was a little s3ish for me. At this point I say no more LOL


    Haley never had a car crash "on her own"? S4 daunte running over her near the cafe... Cmon now I just listed it on the previous page lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [64]Feb 13, 2012
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Well I was thinking where she was actually in the car, like Nathan, Lucas and Peyton, but youre right, she has. No more on Haley then. And yeah the psycho who runs someone over has been done enough (Daunte, Carrie, etc).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LeytonTLA

    LeytonTLA

    [65]Feb 14, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,918
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Lol! Well...to be fair, they are the only ones left (not including Mouth) lol Then again, they did go through the shooting though so thatd be a bit much. Maybe just Quinn on her own? lol


    i agree, just quinn on her own and then skip all the drama of whether she lives or dies so we dont have to see moping ... is that to harsh... or just a little bump for mouth on the way somewhere ...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [66]Feb 14, 2012
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Lol. Quinn and Mouth sharing a hospital room together could be interesting for some reason LOL Have they ever even shared a scene together before?? LOL
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Justlikeheaven_

    Justlikeheaven_

    [67]Feb 14, 2012
    • member since: 07/11/06
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 12,624
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Lol. Quinn and Mouth sharing a hospital room together could be interesting for some reason LOL Have they ever even shared a scene together before?? LOL


    I didnt think they were even friends.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of that70sshow2000

    that70sshow2000

    [68]Feb 14, 2012
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,049
    I THINK there might've been a short interaction between QM in s7 the episode where everyone goes to the opening of Quinn's photography gallery and when Clay see Katie.

    Anyone can confirm this? Gotz me curious now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [69]Feb 14, 2012
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    I THINK there might've been a short interaction between QM in s7 the episode where everyone goes to the opening of Quinn's photography gallery and when Clay see Katie.

    Anyone can confirm this? Gotz me curious now.


    I saw that ep like a week or so ago and I didnt think there was but I could be wrong. The only time I even remember them being in the same room together was that ep and the one where they all go to Utah and stuff lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Justlikeheaven_

    Justlikeheaven_

    [70]Feb 15, 2012
    • member since: 07/11/06
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 12,624
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    I THINK there might've been a short interaction between QM in s7 the episode where everyone goes to the opening of Quinn's photography gallery and when Clay see Katie.

    Anyone can confirm this? Gotz me curious now.


    I saw that ep like a week or so ago and I didnt think there was but I could be wrong. The only time I even remember them being in the same room together was that ep and the one where they all go to Utah and stuff lol


    I watched it to around a week ago and i dont think there was one too. But there might have been just one line of Mouth saying to Quinn that the gallery was great or something like that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LeytonTLA

    LeytonTLA

    [71]Feb 17, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,918
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    I THINK there might've been a short interaction between QM in s7 the episode where everyone goes to the opening of Quinn's photography gallery and when Clay see Katie.

    Anyone can confirm this? Gotz me curious now.


    I saw that ep like a week or so ago and I didnt think there was but I could be wrong. The only time I even remember them being in the same room together was that ep and the one where they all go to Utah and stuff lol


    I watched it to around a week ago and i dont think there was one too. But there might have been just one line of Mouth saying to Quinn that the gallery was great or something like that.


    yeah the only thing i remember is him staring at her A** when shes in the bikini in the snow oth er than that no clue
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TreeHill_89

    TreeHill_89

    [72]Feb 17, 2012
    • member since: 06/28/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,886
    LeytonTLA wrote:
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    I THINK there might've been a short interaction between QM in s7 the episode where everyone goes to the opening of Quinn's photography gallery and when Clay see Katie.

    Anyone can confirm this? Gotz me curious now.


    I saw that ep like a week or so ago and I didnt think there was but I could be wrong. The only time I even remember them being in the same room together was that ep and the one where they all go to Utah and stuff lol


    I watched it to around a week ago and i dont think there was one too. But there might have been just one line of Mouth saying to Quinn that the gallery was great or something like that.


    yeah the only thing i remember is him staring at her A** when shes in the bikini in the snow oth er than that no clue


    Thats the only scene I know as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Chace_Welling

    Chace_Welling

    [74]Dec 17, 2012
    • member since: 01/17/12
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 8
    aless888 wrote:

    I'll give a simple answer. because I don't feel like writing something really long.


    No. However, my answer isn't solely because of Lucas and Peyton leaving. Season 6 was bad. I would have liked the show to have ended with just one bad season and the original gang together. The show now feels like a spin off to me, and in terms of quality it doesn't even come close to being as good as the first 4 seasons. Sometimes I watch reruns of the earlier seasons and it's so surprising how different the show is. When Brooke and Haley have a scene together it's amazing because I get a taste of what the show used to be (and sadly there are very few of those moments). I feel like there are so many storylines that are recycled from previous seasons (psychos, love triangles, Chris Keller convincing girls to go on tour...). If the show was on any other network it wouldn't have made it this far, and this has been a blessing and a curse. We're lucky we got season 4 and 5, but the show would have been better without the last few seasons.


    I know I probably have the minority opinion because the majority of the people who come to the boards are fans of the show that are still watching the show because they enjoy it. I also know that there are a bunch of fans that quit watching the show because of the drop in quality, and it isn't because they're not true fans. It's because the show isn't the show they loved anymore. I'm still watching (although honestly I have only seen about half of season 7 and 8 ) because my sisters watch it, and after all these years I'm invested in what happens to Brooke, Haley and Nathan.

    I 100% agree with you. The later seasons of the show really felt like a spin off and nothing can top the high school years in my opinion. I guess Hilary and Chad leaving was paired with a reduction in quality of the show. I watched the later seasons but mostly because of loyalty, not because of any great enjoyment I received from watching the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of charmed_ncis

    charmed_ncis

    [75]Feb 8, 2013
    • member since: 02/14/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 75

    I don't think it had end but here my reasons why I think it should have.


    1- the last episode of S6 was a great series finale episode.


    2 - things seemed too contrived in the later seasons. Haley and Nathan were kind of boring. Quinn and Clay were paired up from day one and they never fought except when Clay tried to push her away and that wasn't a great story line. The Brooke and Julian SL seemed repetitive to me. I Didn't like Alex in this SL.


    3 - S7 started off well. Lucas and Peyton were mentioned occasionally and referred to but not necessarily a main topic. And there were photos of them in the background. I really liked that. But then S8 they start writing Brooke and Peyton's friendship off. Normally I am ok with this because a lot of best friends in high school don't last forever. However with Haley and Nathan being good friends with Brooke and now RELATED to Peyton, that friendship would have lasted. It came across as the writers were upset with Hilarie and wrote her character a bad ending. I am not saying this was done, but it came across this way to some people. It strikes me as though they didn't know what to do with Peyton. From S1 she is a loner but has a lot of friends (according to a conversation between her and Haley). Was this their way of saying she really was a loner type with few close friends and not the cheerleader type? With her own family she withdrew from Brooke? If it weren't for the Naley connection I could buy this. I don't know.


    I think the show could have continued without Leyton, but they weren't successful. 90210 lasted for years after Brenda and Brandon left. But I think it is hard when the first and third billed actors leave a show and I think they needed a bigger core cast to pull it off. A core cast with deeper back stories. Instead the writers were creating new ones and it felt like a spin off as someone else already mentioned.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [76]Feb 23, 2013
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    ^I agree with you. I didnt expect Brooke and Peyton or even Haley and Peyton to talk every single night on the phone considering that they were on separate continents, but it seemed odd to me that they wouldnt at least e-mail each other every once in a while and have the writers point that out. The writers made it sound like they lost touch completely, which was quite ridiculous considering how many cutesy scenes Brooke and Peyton had together on Peytons wedding day, how Brooke would want to check in on Sawyer with her motherly instincts and how Haley would want to check in considering Nathan and Lucas are related. And e-mail is a quick and easy way to keep in touch that doesnt require them taking special time out of their day to communicate to each other. Peyton can write Brooke while shes sleeping and vice versa. I mean, even Karen was writing to Keith in season 2, so I bet Brooke has an e-mail account, especially with her career, and I have no doubt Peyton has one too. Just odd.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Justlikeheaven_

    Justlikeheaven_

    [77]Mar 8, 2013
    • member since: 07/11/06
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 12,624
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^I agree with you. I didnt expect Brooke and Peyton or even Haley and Peyton to talk every single night on the phone considering that they were on separate continents, but it seemed odd to me that they wouldnt at least e-mail each other every once in a while and have the writers point that out. The writers made it sound like they lost touch completely, which was quite ridiculous considering how many cutesy scenes Brooke and Peyton had together on Peytons wedding day, how Brooke would want to check in on Sawyer with her motherly instincts and how Haley would want to check in considering Nathan and Lucas are related. And e-mail is a quick and easy way to keep in touch that doesnt require them taking special time out of their day to communicate to each other. Peyton can write Brooke while shes sleeping and vice versa. I mean, even Karen was writing to Keith in season 2, so I bet Brooke has an e-mail account, especially with her career, and I have no doubt Peyton has one too. Just odd.


    Wow, hey hey stellar!! It's so strange that we are no longer constantly on the OTH forum. lol I don't even spend much time on tv.com at all anymore. But anyway, yeah, I totally agree with you on that. I just found it odd that they didn't mention them enough. It was almost like the characters dropped off the face of the earth and they lost contact entirely. Like when Lucas came back in season 9, Haley goes "You don't write, you don't call". So after Haley wrote to him and everything in the beginning of season 8, nothing reciprocated. They could have at least had Lucas and Haley be somewhat of pen pals since she was writing to him in the beginning of season 8. They sorta explained a little bit with Brooke and Peyton when Brooke had asked Sylvia about her childhood best friend and everything. Like Haley now becoming brooke's new best best friend. But they did the same thing with Sam when she left. One post card, and then poof nothing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of charmed_ncis

    charmed_ncis

    [78]Mar 10, 2013
    • member since: 02/14/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 75

    I guess I don't understand why the friendship had to go negative. The audience didn't have to know every time that letters were written or emails exchanged. Brookes wedding is where I lost it. Haley's speech about her friendship with Brooke and how Peyton just wasn't going to be there with no real explanation. Peyton could have been pregnant, or Sawyer could have been ill or who knows. I wouldn't have minded if they didn't mention Leyton as long as when they did mention them it was in a more psoitive light. Especially since they brought Lucas back in S9. So your brother in law who never writes is the person you call to watch your children whe your husband goes missing? Even Brenda was talked about well on 90210 when she went to London and everyone knew Shannen left the show on bad terms. I know the OTH has been very good about being an unconventional teen drama and it worked for a long time. This is one area I wish they could have not used characters no longer on the show to make a point about forgotten friendships. Especially since they were main characters.


    I would love to know the writers thought process from how the show started to how it ended. No critisim just curious. Was it based on fans response or what. Some things I find interesting is the fact it is obvious that Peyton is a HUGE part of the main storyline in the first half of season one. Hilarie Burton was billed third thoughout the series, but her character did not seem to keep that same level importance. Her character should have been able to survive without Lucas, but... On the flip side, Sophia Bush was not in the pilot, and was billed 5th or 6th until season 5 (I think), but a lot of people talked about Brooke being more of a main character than Peyton. Just curious of what dictates that. Chemistry with the actors, acting ability, fans, the actors willingness to do certain Storylines... Just curious about that development process.


    Still love to watch the show on Netflix.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CappinHoff

    CappinHoff

    [79]Apr 29, 2013
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 34

    I say no. The last dew episodes of season 6 felt like a series finale. All the side characters got happy endings(aside from dan). Brooke got back Julian. Nathan had his dream come true by getting to the NBA and rubbing it in Dan's face. Lucas and Peyton had thier dreams come true as well. Getting married and starting a family.


    To me The CW(Warner Bros) just wanted tocapitalizeof the success. Seasons 7-9 were pretty lame and turned a decent show into a teen version of Melrose Place. Clay's character was odd and not reallybelievable. Quinn just the same. You could tell the quality of the show had left when Lucas and Peyton left. The writers were grasping at straws to keep the show going and it showed. Naley was getting pretty lame and boring. Brulian wasn't appealing in the least. The other relationships were blah.


    I wish at least they would have included Lucas and Peyton in the last few episodes of season 9, especially the finale. That would have made most fans happy and truly made the show what it was from season 1-6

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Justlikeheaven_

    Justlikeheaven_

    [80]May 14, 2013
    • member since: 07/11/06
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 12,624
    CappinHoff wrote:

    I say no. The last dew episodes of season 6 felt like a series finale. All the side characters got happy endings(aside from dan). Brooke got back Julian. Nathan had his dream come true by getting to the NBA and rubbing it in Dan's face. Lucas and Peyton had thier dreams come true as well. Getting married and starting a family.


    To me The CW(Warner Bros) just wanted tocapitalizeof the success. Seasons 7-9 were pretty lame and turned a decent show into a teen version of Melrose Place. Clay's character was odd and not reallybelievable. Quinn just the same. You could tell the quality of the show had left when Lucas and Peyton left. The writers were grasping at straws to keep the show going and it showed. Naley was getting pretty lame and boring. Brulian wasn't appealing in the least. The other relationships were blah.


    I wish at least they would have included Lucas and Peyton in the last few episodes of season 9, especially the finale. That would have made most fans happy and truly made the show what it was from season 1-6



    I do agree that after Lucas and Peyton left the show changed, but for me personally, Season 7 is one of my favorite seasons of the show. Then they hit another dry season in Season 8, but I enjoyed Season 9. Even though the storylines were weird, season 9 actually kept me not being able to wait until the next episode. And for me, that is a good sign that it is keeping interest. Even though we had a few series finale type season finales in the show, I enjoyed the way the REAL series finale was. It ended perfectly in my opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.