Onegai Teacher

(ended 2002)

Onegai Teacher Fan Reviews (12)

• omg wow they really need to bring it back it changed my mind on giving up on school now im getting a's omg plz bring it back sireasly id watch i everytime it came on got its so asome show first id have to figure out what chanle it is on. plz plz plz ....

wow i couldnt say eanything bad about itit was really good ther should so bring it back it changed my life now i get a's inschool instead of f's pluse now i got a gf because of it is a really good show or atleast put it on youtube because i really wanna watch it just put it on adult swim or something trust me people here and japan and all over will watch thet just like they do to naruto but i think please teacher is so much better like 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better plz bring it back. plz plz
  • Sort of a harem comedy/sci-fi. This anime is a story about a maldevelped mentally ill boy who marries his teacher who just so happens to be an alien conducting anthropological studies. The boy and teacher have to hide their marriage from the world.

Ok, here's the deal. This show is pretty bad. The premise is just downright corny. Kei is a physically and mentally maldeveloped boy. He suffers from a catatonic state he calls a 'Stand Still'. These 'stand-still' can last several days up to several years. This affliction has a net result of Kei being socially and psychologically awkward. At the end, the story reveals the nature of these 'stand-still' episodes, having roots in mental illness that prevents a person to cope with loss, grief, and change. While this sounds silly just typing it out, it is the one redeeming feature of this anime - the subtext about grief and recuperation is insightful. The story starts of with Kei observing a UFO. Then there is a new teacher - the kind that all the kids want to get-with - who is none other than an alien conducting anthropological studies on earth. Kei and the teacher, Mizuho, end up getting married. Most of the show is about the conflict inherent in their relationship, how they can't consummate their marriage, and slap-stick side plots. But the end, there is some subtext about relationships, love, recovery. As mentioned above, the lesson learned is that one must face grief and loss; when you stand-still in the face of pain, then you never move forward with your life. This is demonstrated by how physically, socially, and mentally maldeveloped Kei is, but as he faces his fear and grief, he starts to get better. My critique is this - the dialogue is horrible. The characters are one-dimensional. The plot and story line are linear. And at the end, the story romanticizes a sexual relationship between a 15 year old girl and her math teacher. Yeah, we have a word for that: child molester. Here in the US, that is a felony. To romanticize that in anyway is just down right repugnant.
  • You should watch it

Onegai Sensei is an anime about an 18 year old boy with a serious illness that will put him in a "stand still" or near death, who meats an alien who has came to earth to observe us and try to prevent us from going down a "destructive" path.
    After the alien( mizuho Kazami) arrives at ours planet she gets seen by the boy(Kei Kusanagi ) and and they get caught stuck in a storage room. so to get out of this mess Kei and Mizuho must lie to her boss and tell him that they are married. and that night they got all of the papers done and they were officially married. after they get married a lot goes on. you will have to watch the anime if you want to fine out what happens.
  • A student and a teahcer, married and in love. Shes an alien and hes a 10th grade student with an illness that made him go into a coma for three years, meaning that his real age is 18. You see their love develop and grow.

One of the cutest shows ive ever seen. The last episodes made me cry (hard to admit). I just loved it from the start and I think its worth rewatching. It has good elements for a romance story, and I think that the characters in this story are sweet. I really like it because lately ive had trouble finding romantic stories like these. I also like the fact that it wasnt too perverted and didnt show many nude scenes because too me that made the anime even better. Anybody that wants an anime with romance and aliens should watch this one.
  • An alien comes to earth in hopes of learning about the kind of life her human father had. Well after being discovered by a teenager, trouble starts brewing.

(spoiler)

Kei is a very interesting person for a boy of 15 years. He has a very unique illness that is somewhat like an emotionally induced coma. He calls them "stand stills". this was triggered by an event involving his sister, which isn't made very clear, but I believe his sister commited suicide. I am not quite sure though. Ever since then, when ever he feels emotionally distraught, he blacks out. After the incident with his sister, Kei had a stand still that lasted for three years when he was in tenth grade. 3 years later he woke up, 18 years old physically yet his body hadn't aged a day. To keep this illness a secret he transfered schools and became very good friends with 5 classmates. Then one day, his class got a new teacher, Miss. Mizuho Kazume. Coincidentally, the night before Kei was resting by a lake when a UFO landed, and out popped Miss. Mizuho Kazume in her alien garb and everything. I think it's kinda stupid that the whole "alien" part of the story was never actually brought out and explained entirely. Also a big coincidence, is the fact that Miss Kazume moved in next door to Kei. Anyway, since Mizuho is now a teacher at Kei's school, Mizuho must make sure that Kei doesn't reveal her secret so she confronts him. Then to "even the score" as it were, Kei tells her about his illness. So now they know the most intimate and private, secrets that they each have to hide. This makes for a very interesting situation.
  • Onegai teacher tells the story about a boy who meets an alien, a beautiful alien, who is a woman, well, they have to marry becuase an incident and thats how the story begins, watch it only 13 episodes, no way you lose time...

oh my god, well, a cousin lent me this show on dvd, i never heard about it before, but from begining to end, let me tell you something, I really enjoyed it, but i watched it so fast that seems to me that i needed more, 12 episodes just don't make it. Well the story is about a young boy, Kei and an alien called Mizuho, somehow they get married and they have to hide that marriage from his friends. He has 5 friends who are always together. He has a decease he calls "standstill", so he lives with his uncle, who is a doctor. Supposely Kei is 15, but in fact he's 18. Haven't seen the end yet, but as soon as I watch it, im going to write a review about all the episodes if I can. Mmm, guess thats pretty much it, so I'll leave like this for now...
  • One of the best anime I've ever seen! An almost perfect romantic drama, with some humor. True it leaves a you wanting to know what comes of the show after 13 episodes, however, what kind of anime would it be if it didn't? (237 charaters)

(spoiler)

Then after an accident involving her confronting him, the principle thought, that there was a student teacher relationship going on...(little did we know that his assumption was actually a prediction) As a defense, Kei's Uncle (current care taker) claimed that the two have been married, so firing her would be pointless. Now to make that story come true the two had to live together to "play the part". Well one thing lead to another and now an alien teacher is in love with a student earthling. 1st, alien+earthling... 2nd, student+teacher.... odd combination for an anime show, well mabey not for an anime show, lol...
    This anime does seem to have scifi and comedy in it, but they are small and overlooked by the enormous amount of romance and drama present in the show.
    This is in many respects, the best anime I've ever seen, because: 1) It has a happy ending and everything i wanted to happed did... 2) It left little (yet just enough) to the imagination... 3) The characters and their roles were played to near perfection... 4) Unique, with a different spin creates an interesting atmosphere throughout the show... 5) It lived up to all my expectations.... 6) It left just a little unsaid each episode to make you "need" to see the next episode. Sorry for writing so much, its just that not many people had written about this show yet, that and many of the reviews aren't exactly that good. I am completely satisfied with this show, which has never happened to me before with any anime I've ever seen with the exception of I"s Pure(which isn't quite as satisfying as this). Perfect 10! (541 words)
  • upps!

2.6
    onegai Teacher! is a story mainly revolving around a tight-knit group of friends in high school and how they cope with several life-changing events that are never too far off from intimate relationships. The main character is a boy named Kei Kusanagi who suffers from a very rare disease which causes a comatose state referred to as a "standstill" whenever he is under severe emotional distress.

Before the beginning of the story, Kei, at 15 years old, had fallen into a "standstill" lasting three years after witnessing the suicide of his elder sister. After recovering, he quietly moved away from home in order to avoid social difficulty due to his long absence, and began living with his uncle, a medical doctor, and aunt. Due to the strange nature of how he came to live there, Kei wanted to keep the situation a secret from his new friends for fear of being ostracized as being too old to associate with them.

After Kei had established himself in his new surroundings and had entered into a close group of mutually supportive friends, a Galactic Federation starship had entered Earth's atmosphere stealthily (it is equipped with cloaking technology, rendering it invisible to EM spectrum detection equipment), approached Honshu Island and landed surreptitiously in Lake Kizaki. (Aside from physical travel of the spacecraft via it's own engines, travel back and forth across interrnediate and long distances - including other star systems and/or dimensions - is accomplished using Star Trek-like 'transporter' technology.) The story begins with Kei, after suffering a minor 'standstill' while in the vicinity of the lake, witnesses several unexplainable phenomena happening there, and then watches as a beautiful half-human alien named Mizuho Kazami materializes beside the shore.

Kazami was sent to observe planet Earth by a seemingly benevolent Galactic Federation in order to prevent Terrans from making developmental mistakes. (Later, it is revealed that she had personal reasons; she wanted to see the home planet of her father, who had died when she was a child.) Kei, upon observing the materialization, attempts to escape the pursuing Kazami, (who he does not get a clear look at, as she appears surrounded by bright white light). Kazami is under strict orders to prevent her true identity and mission from being discovered (the penalty for which can include capital punishment). During his attempt to escape, Kei falls into the lake, seeming to drown as a result of another stress-induced 'standstill'. In fact, Kazami rescued Kei, and using information from his identification, was able to return him home after examining him for injuries.

The next day begins fairly normally, as Kei awakens at his uncle's home, in his room, under the impression that the previous evening was the product of a dream. Upon arriving at the school, Kei's peers are discussing the fact that the previous homeroom teacher has mysteriously quit his position, and that the beautiful Ms. Kazami has become his new homeroom teacher. Later that day, Kei is further astounded that she is now a next-door neighbor, living in a room rented from his uncle Minoru.

During assisting her in moving in, he suffers another standstill, and while in a weakened state explains his predicament to the compassionate Mizuho, who cared for him without alerting the authorities, and thus kept his condition a private secret. During his recovery, he recalls the events of the previous evening, realizing that it was not a dream, and that she was the person he saw by the lakeside. Mizuho's inherently honest nature causes her to admit her origins and purpose on Earth. A near tragic comedy of errors ensues, as a frightened Kei attempts to escape her embrace. An accidental activation of the 'transporter' technolgy almost costs Kei and Mizuho their lives as she rescues him once again. A rapproachement is achieved, as it becomes evident that neither Mizuho nor the Galactic Federation she serves is hostile, and Kei promises not to reveal her identity as Mizuho makes a similar promise about Kei's medical condition. This is the beginning of a friendship that rapidly becomes more intimate.

After being discovered in what on the surface would appear to be a compromising situation (Mizuho had wanted to speak with Kei privately and had him transported to a physical education sports equipment locker), Kei protects Mizuho from charges of an inappropriate relationship between student and teacher by supporting the idea impulsively given by his uncle to the school's Headmaster that they are married, resulting in an actual civil marriage that later blossoms into genuine affection for each other. Kei's true calendar age becomes evident during the Headmaster's phone call to City Hall to verify their married status, and the Headmaster relents, partly because he, too, had married someone younger than himself and could understand their situation personally. Both are allowed to stay so long as they do not reveal their status to the other students, and do not engage in any public displays of affection.

The remainder of the series concerns the budding intimate relationships between the close friends, one of whom is romantically interested in Kei and another who he later learns has suffered even greater loss of time from the same disease as he has; the problems of having to maintain the secrecy of the marriage; an interfering parent and sibling visiting from Federation space; and Kei learning to overcome the ever-present threat of another lengthy 'standstill' stealing more of his life, particularly as he has fallen deeply in love with Mizuho and desperately wants to remain with her..
  • What's missing in Onegai Teacher? Humor. It needed more of it. All-in-all, it was too serious and dramatic at times. Don't let my opinion deter you from watching this great series though...

When I began to watch Onegai Teacher, I thought, "What a brilliant premise! There are so many things the producers of this show could do with ideas like this. A teacher and a student getting married! What's more - the teacher is an alien?! Awesome." As the series wore on, I found my expectations disappointed. Even though Onegai Teacher had a lot of potential, it didn't meet that potential.

I think that the main reason is that it was too dramatic. An anime like this can't be too serious all the time, but it was for the majority of the 13 episodes. I would've liked to see some more humor. Don't get me wrong though: the drama is done right, but there was just too much of it. Even when the show tried to be funny, it wasn't.

Ironically though, the "last" episode, the 13th one (which isn't really an ending) somewhat delivered on the humor part.

There is one thing I didn't really like about the story (Spoilers Ahead - Warning!!!)

In the end, Herikawa ends up (apparently) starting a serious relationship with her older teacher (forgive me, I forgot his name). I could understand the relationship between Kei and Mizuho (since Kei is really 18), but something like that really grossed me out. It didn't even make sense either. The suggestive fact that they "did it" only served to agitate me. That relationship is just wrong.

But, whatever.

Onegai Teacher is enjoyable, but I feel let down because it could've been a masterpiece. Though it gets the romance aspect down pat, a few more laughs and sexual humor could've made it one of my favorites. But if you're looking for an anime with one seriously hot teacher and the ultimate dream of any teenage boy, this will deliver =)
  • This is one of the greatest shows that I've seen. My favorite character is Mizuho. Tell you what...Kei and Mizuho sure made a great pair!

The story is about a humanoid alien (Mizuho) with an interest in the Earth, who decides to experience it first-hand by becoming a teacher there. She meets a student (Kei) who suffers a blackout whenever life becomes too distressing, and a romance develops between the two. At first, the romance is forced onto them, after they were caught in awkward circumstances that necessitated the concoction of a fake marriage to escape embarrassment. To make the marriage seem genuine, the two start living together and fall in love…
  • This anime is incredibly amazing. It deals with romance, drama and has some comedy to ease the tension. When you are fed up of watching all that action and adventure type of anime give this a shot, it'll be worth it.

It starts off with a teenager named Kei Kusanagi who looks 15 years old but is really 18 and is in the 10th grade. Kei our main character has a rare disease that he likes to call "stand-stills" and whenever it occurs he falls unconscious and his body lays dormant until he awakens. One night he sees a whirlpool emerge out of nowhere and a mysterious woman appears and starts chasing him until he falls into the water. When Kei wakes up he's at school and his old teacher has been replaced with a young beautiful woman. Their relationship begins to progress as his new teacher just happens to move in next door to Kei. His teacher Mizuho Kazami an alien had hoped Kei had forgotten what happened at the lake so that she wouldn't be discovered but he does and agrees to hide the fact that she’s an alien, then several misunderstandings takes place and the two decide to get married in order to hide the truth.
  • This is one of the delightful anime that people can set aside other action packs.

It's really nothing better than two outwardly adults, one is a student and other one is a teacher to be in love. Kei, the 18 years old protagonist of the show appeared to be in a coma for 3 years. Because of such illness, his body hasn't grown and remains at the 15 years old looks. Though, until he meets Mizuho, Kei's half earthling high school teacher, his life begins to change. Despite the sometimes chaotic situations occur to them, they manage to keep their love strong along with their marriage.

All in all, this anime is fun yet delightful for someone who loves drama and romance. From the story, to the animation quality, to the characters, everything of this anime series is very well thought out and purely executed.